• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
So what are the thoughts on this list?

Wolf
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Third-party Character

Thoughts?
Wolf: Indifferent, but I'd be happy for the supporters.
Bandana Dee: Indifferent as I have no attachment to this character.
Dixie Kong: I'd be delighted. :)
Third-party character: I'd be livid, honestly. We already got Ryu. NO MORE! I'd be willing to accept Snake, but that's it.

Burruni

Smash Hero

Wolf
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Third-party Character

Thoughts?
Wolf: 90% chance. Has practically everything someone could have going for them who ISN'T in the game.
Bandana Dee: Top 5 likely of newcomers.
Dixie: K. Rool first.
3rd Party: Ha ha ha not at this point.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Wolf
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Third-party Character

Thoughts?
Wolf - I'd be somewhat surprised if he's not in. Also, I have Brawl, and for some reason, or another, I have NEVER touched him. I don't even hate him, and to this day, I STILL have NEVER played as him. Granted, I'd personally MUCH rather have Krystal, but I hold no ill will against Wolf, and I'd.....like to see him return, so yeah, why not?

Bandana Dee - Heck, YES! I want the Dee! I can safely say he's in my Top 10 most wanted!

Dixie Kong - Believe it or not, but I would personally be even MORE hyped for her than King K. Rool. She is also in my Top 10-15 most wanted. Don't get me wrong, I would still give anything to have King K. Rool, or even better, BOTH of them, and the Mii Fighter outfit of him both terrified me, and hyped me up so much because they modeled it primarily after his Rare design (1994-1999), which I praise Sakurai and the Smash 4 dev team for doing to this day.

Third-party character - Let me go on record to say this, I'm actually more open-minded to 3rd party characters than you might think. Just look at my list of SEGA, Capcom, and Namco characters that I'd love to see in Smash. Also, I'd like to see Snake back as well as Bomberman, Bub, and a few more, but I won't go into detail on who they are right now.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Wolf: 90% chance. Has practically everything someone could have going for them who ISN'T in the game.
Bandana Dee: Top 5 likely of newcomers.
Dixie: K. Rool first.
3rd Party: Ha ha ha not at this point.
So why do we only get Ryu, what would be the point of a representative from Nintendo coming out, saying you can vote for any video game character?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Wolf
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Third-party Character

Thoughts?
Wasn't sure if you wanted my opinion on want or chance so I did both :p.
Wolf is very likely, and I like the character, not much but I do like him.
Bandana Dee is around a 30-40% chance if you ask me, the ten percent variance is Sakurai, I'm somewhat worried he's not going to be fond of a Kirby character that he didn't do most of the characterizing of. I would be absolutely delighted to see him in the game, only characters I want more are Jirachi and Dark Matter, but out of likely characters nothing compares to Bandana Dee for me.
Dixie Kong is 40%ish to me, with K.Rool also being a 40%, I think either one will make it but I don't know who. I'd be interested in seeing her just not very excited.
A Third Party character isn't very likely imo. Depends on who it is if we're going with want.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So why do we only get Ryu, what would be the point of a representative from Nintendo coming out, saying you can vote for any video game character?
They clearly stated there's no guarantee the character voted for would get picked. They never said they'd be able to include a third-party as DLC, just that you can vote for them.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord

Wolf
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Third-party Character

Thoughts?
Wolf: of course!
Bandana Dee: fine.
Dixie Kong: yes!
Another third-party: I'd rather not at this point. Except Tetrimino

The former three are good choices, though I'm iffy about more third-parties. It really depends on who it is. There aren't many of them I can think of I'd be perfectly fine with.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
They clearly stated there's no guarantee the character voted for would get picked. They never said they'd be able to include a third-party as DLC, just that you can vote for them.
Still, it would seem rather pointless to say this of it leads to nothing.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Wolf
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Third-party Character

Thoughts?
Wolf is an extremely safe pick.
No strong feelings either way.
Prefer K Rool but she'd still be alright.
Depends on who it is. If it's a nobody like [REDACTED] then hell no. If it were Rayman, Snake, Eggman, Heihachi, Nightmare etc. then fine. Still have high doubts they'll even happen when there's a majority of "safer" picks like Isaac. Snake is the only "safe" third party pick due to veteran status.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Well, with 3rd-party characters, it's trickier because they have to deal with that 3rd-party company and see IF they allow it or not and then listening to their conditions and the like.

Because saying "you can only vote for 1st parties" would be a bad idea. People love having opions and I guarantee people would be unhappy if they were given less options. Plus it would essentially be saying "all newcomers are 1st party" ruining any potential surprise.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
No, not really. They're keeping their options open, but they have no obligations to add a third party character if they don't want to. If there ends up being a good third party choice that has utterly massive support, then that might be an option worth considering. If there's not, then they don't have to add one. Simple as that.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm sure we'll get at least one third-party character from the ballot. At least one. Layton would also be easy to license.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Layton is barely worth considering when there are other, more significant third parties around.

Again, Snake or Rayman. Beyond that, any third party is incredibly niche.

I really don't get why some are expecting more than one (let alone three) third-party from the ballot. I mean, we even already got one as DLC, the number of characters is limited, so I don't really see them adding more than one from the ballot.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Layton is barely worth considering when there are other, more significant third parties around.

Again, Snake or Rayman. Beyond that, any third party is incredibly niche.
He's easy to get the rights to and is very requested, I could see him joining the battle.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
He's easy to get the rights to and is very requested, I could see him joining the battle.
Layton being requested as much as Snake, Rayman, and if you want to include first parties, Inklings, KKR and Wolf is a difficult fact to swallow without evidence.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Layton being requested as much as Snake, Rayman, and if you want to include first parties, Inklings, KKR and Wolf is a difficult fact to swallow without evidence.
Rayman isn't that requested, he's died down, also you're forgetting someone. Also, Rayman having two different trophies in two different catagories could cause confusion.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
What do you define as "easy to get the rights to?"

And even if he does have requests (and even still, he's not that highly requested), as a Third Party character, he's more difficult to get ahold of and would require some pretty overwhelming demand to justify his inclusion over easier to acquire and more popular First Party characters.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I really don't get why some are expecting more than one (let alone three) third-party from the ballot. I mean, we even already got one as DLC, the number of characters is limited, so I don't really see them adding more than one from the ballot.
I guess it's mostly going after the smaller 3rd party characters instead of the big ones from major companies like Namco, Capcom (again), Sega, Square and Ubisoft.

I really don't expect anymore after Ryu unless it's Snake and we already know the situation that's going on in Konami

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Even died down, Rayman's support arguably trumps Layton's regardless.

Can't tell who you expect me to remember.
It's nothing. Layton however, out of the three, is the eaisiest to get the license to, due to how cooperative Level-5 is with Nintendo.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It's nothing. Layton however, out of the three, is the eaisiest to get the license to, due to how cooperative Level-5 is with Nintendo.
News flash.

Rayman is in the game as a trophy and has three of them.

You missed that little detail that makes Rayman arguably easier, even though you can't tell how "easy" rights are to acquire anyway.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm sure we'll get at least one third-party character from the ballot. At least one. Layton would also be easy to license.
Layton wouldn't be any easier to licence than anyone else.

We can't assume that we're going to get a third party, especially when we've had no hints whatsoever at what Sakurai is thinking other than 'fan service'.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
News flash.

Rayman is in the game as a trophy and has three of them.

You missed that little detail that makes Rayman arguably easier, even though you can't tell how "easy" rights are to acquire anyway.
Read my edit from the post before.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Rayman isn't that requested, he's died down, also you're forgetting someone. Also, Rayman having two different trophies in two different catagories could cause confusion.
Um... What?

We already have two Mewtwo and Lucas trophies. How is this an issue?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Level-5 has no trophies in SSB4.

Ubisoft does.

Please don't assume that because Layton is well loved, he's a shoo-in.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I guess it's mostly going after the smaller 3rd party characters instead of the big ones from major companies like Namco, Capcom (again), Sega, Square and Ubisoft.

I really don't expect anymore after Ryu unless it's Snake and we already know the situation that's going on in Konami
twitch

Dude, again, they don't need to be a AAA dev anymore to dole out the license(s) and rights needed to utilize their IPs. They can put 'em on loan for crossovers and other projects. The best part? Both sides stand to profit from the royalties and the promotion of it all. It's like, a mutually beneficial net gain.

Why are people ignoring this lol

Smooth Criminal

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
twitch

Dude, again, they don't need to be a AAA dev anymore to dole out the license(s) and rights needed to utilize their IPs. They can put 'em on loan for crossovers and other projects. The best part? Both sides stand to profit from the royalties and the promotion of it all. It's like, a mutually beneficial net gain.

Smooth Criminal
They are a really weird company to where we don't know how different they are to work with than before. That's my main issue.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
twitch

Smooth Criminal
This.

In fact, Konami's current strategy would fall more under licencing out characters to more projects...

So if Sakurai will have him, Konami would be more than happy to lend Snake again.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Layton for the most part has a decently big following placing #16th in the Individual character poll to at least get considered from Sakurai. He doesn't need overwhelming demand like the others for Sakurai to seriously consider him.

When it comes to Level-5 and Nintendo, their relationship is extremely close with the most of their titles being on Nintendo platforms. Akihiro Hino has already expressed his thoughts with Layton in Smash, and if Nintendo were to ask Level-5, they would be extremely welcome to use the rights for Layton or whatever Level-5 IP Nintendo wants to use for Smash. Getting the license for Layton isn't as scary as people here make it out to be.

I mean it's not as easy to get as Rayman for obvious reasons, but Nintendo would still have a pretty easy time getting the license unlike other companies.

Please don't assume that because Layton is well loved, he's a shoe-in.
I didn't see him saying that he was a shoo-in though.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Layton for the most part has a decently big following placing #16th in the Individual character poll to at least get considered from Sakurai. He doesn't need overwhelming demand like the others for Sakurai to seriously consider him.

When it comes to Level-5 and Nintendo, their relationship is extremely close with the most of their titles being on Nintendo platforms. Akihiro Hino has already expressed his thoughts with Layton in Smash, and if Nintendo were to ask Level-5, they would be extremely welcome to use the rights for Layton or whatever Level-5 IP Nintendo wants to use for Smash. Getting the license for Layton isn't as scary as people here make it out to be.

I didn't see him saying that he was a shoo-in though
I don't remember the ICP being an influence on who made it in Smash unless Sakurai is studying that poll extensively, which I doubt.

It's what fans opinionated...but it's still a single poll which really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't remember the ICP being an influence on who made it in Smash unless Sakurai is studying that poll extensively, which I doubt.

It's what fans opinionated...but it's still a single poll which really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.
Well, you already know that don't you, I'm aware it's a fan-poll. Though, it's probably the closest (but not really) to getting a considerable amount of productive results on. The fact that he placed better than other characters when shows he has an existing decent following who would like to see him in.

Last edited:
As nice in theory as the ICP is, it is prett much useless for the ballot. It doesnt say who someone has voted for which is what really matters. All it does is get the vague opinion the community has for a character. Plus 1s, 2s, and 3s are prtty much useless as there are no negative votes on the ballot. It really isnt good evidence for any character.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Well, you already know that don't you, I'm aware it's a fan-poll.
Though you're playing it up to be the be all and end all of fan polls.

Though, it's probably the closest (but not really) to getting a considerable amount of productive results on. The fact that he placed better than other characters when shows he has an existing decent following who would like to see him in.
A Distant Demon A Distant Demon summed my point perfectly, it's pointless ballot-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom