• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I've got a question for those who support a character that is already an assist trophy in the game. Do you really think that the character in question has chances to become playable, do you support it because the feedback may improve its chances for the next game, or because of a different reason?
Because they are cool characters.

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
I feel like newcomers for future games should be chosen like this.
One third new character archetypes (grappler, summoner, etc.)
One third characters representing new genres.
One third very iconic gaming characters. (Toad, Excitebiker, etc)
i would love a summoner type! not sure how it would work but i would love it! I would love a full mage as well (fire emblem druid for the win!)

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
Yes, I do. I believe that, if the support is there, Sakurai would be willing to reconsider the characters for playability, rather than scoff at the notion because, he already used them for something else.

One argument I see a lot is 'It'd be so weird to have two Midna's on the field at the same time' Which I shouldn't have to explain why this is a dumb argument. If this is something that really bothers the dev team they could either; A) remove it entirely, I doubt they would because some work has been done to put said character into the game as an Assist Trophy to begin with, but the option is still there, B) 'Alfonzo' it out, rather than remove it completely simply replace the model when said character is in play, or C) the most likely option other than doing nothing is simply adding a code to prevent it from showing if the character is in play, in a similar fashion to King Dedede...

Another thing people need to consider is that the character does have an existing model and animations, which I believe will make it slightly easier for the dev team to make them work as a fighter...

I do not believe that any predefined role is a death sentence (I am aware their chances may be lower than others but I don't think it's completely negligible) but either way supporting a character now will help them in the future regardless if they make it as DLC or not; people need to vote for their favourites regardless of what role they play in the game or not (that goes for Ridley too, although his situation is a lot different than any other NPC)
i hope your right for the sake of saki. He would be so fun to play but sadly i don't think he has enough recognition. And for him to beat out the other popular characters just really hinders his chances. I've kinda lost hope for him :c

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I've got a question for those who support a character that is already an assist trophy in the game. Do you really think that the character in question has chances to become playable, do you support it because the feedback may improve its chances for the next game, or because of a different reason?
I personally am under the mindset that they're probably not going to scrap or change existing game content like that for DLC, but I still voted for who I wanted to see in a Smash Brothers game at some point. The current role of assist trophy / boss characters don't make me want any of them less in Smash someday.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well, the Japanese ballot website did say that this would effect future releases. So chances are that characters who are Assist Trophies would probably be on Sakurai's mind if he were to work on a sequel. Take Waluigi for example, chances are that he would catch Sakurai's eyes the most of all Assist Trophies because of his overwhelming support and popularity. To be honest, it's actually kind of fitting that he's the only AT character who's support haven't dwindled anywhere.

Too long, didn't read version. He vote for these characters because we like them and think they would be a great asset to the roster. We are slowly running out of good newcomer options after all if we just include the more requested first parties (and other new Nintendo protagonists) and think about the limits on third parties.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I support Ashley, Takamaru, and Waluigi but I don't think they have chances to be DLC for this game. Like the Melee and Brawl polls, it's pretty likely that the character suggestions will carry onto the next game and play a large role in determining it's roster. I'm pretty confident that Waluigi and Ashley will remain popular while Takamaru has the retro factor going for him so I don't think SSB4 was a make-or-break moment for any of them.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac went from assist trophy to playable.
Palutena went from Pit's final Smash to playable.
Dedede went from background to playable.
Charizard is no longer in a Pokeball.
Anything can happen.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I support the characters I do not out of likeliness but by how much I think it/he/she deserves to be in coupled with how much I like the character, it doesn't matter to me if the character is one I think is impossible, if I think they should be in, I'm going to support them regardless.

Last edited:
Yeah, Those games didn't have DLC...
Regardless Kim claimed that was evidence. Yet the two occurrences between sequels and DLC are so severely different they cannot be compared in this way. Hence why I said this was a very different situation.

There is no positive evidence of NPC promotions for DLC at this time and those examples certainly aren't

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Regardless Kim claimed that was evidence. Yet the two occurrences between sequels and DLC are so severely different they cannot be compared in this way. Hence why I said this was a very different situation.

There is no positive evidence of NPC promotions for DLC at this time and those examples certainly aren't
If you're going to ignore those points then yes there is no evidence...

One thing people don't take into consideration when it comes to both Melee and Brawl; upon their respective releases no changes 'could have' been made what we got with release is what we got...

all those arguments saying 'there's no precedent for a character to get a promotion in the same game' can't really stand any ground if it wasn't even possible for it to happen to begin with...however one can consider ROB as an example since we saw him as an enemy in the SSE before he was playable although that was story based and not a change made after the game's release...I don't use it as an argument for a character's promotion but moreso as a playable character having multiple in game roles...

My point is now there is the distinct possibility for it to happen within the same game via DLC...and looking at Kim's points shows us that these characters can in fact make it into the playable roster, sure it didn't happen in the previous games but there are other things Smash 4 has that others didn't....

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman

You can have a Toon Link thing like in his stage where he won't show up in the bg if he's a fighter.
People genuinely thought Roy couldn't return because of Roy Koopa. Silly, but I've heard this argument.
Ness had Lucas's specials, which was considered damning, but he returned.
We're creating precedent with DLC. We've only gotten 4. Do I think characters in non-fighter positions have a lower chance? Yes. But I don't think they're impossible.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Does anybody here have fond memories of Sm4sh roster speculation? anyone?.......
- Laughing at those who didn't think Ike and Lucario had a shot at returning
- Bashing Dark Pit and HEAVILY bashing Robin (I have to admit it, it was kinda fun but it ran its course. Congrats to all the Robin supporters)
- Was worried about how Mii Fighters would work
- Laughing at those who thought Roy wouldn't return (Yes, Roy's my boy)
- Gemastu falling into pieces with Robin's revealing
- Ridley fans and haters going back and forth
- Cried over Dillon and Takamaru deconfirmed
- Going ape **** crazy over Lucina's reveal and Lucario's return
- ESRB leaks with Bowser Jr's revealing

Remember to this isn't a chance thing, more of a "do you want the character in Smash?"
*looks at Tharja and other unlogical choices*

A summoner and full mage type would be sweet. Wouldn't Vaati somewhat fit both of them with certain attacks?

If you're going to ignore those points then yes there is no evidence...

One thing people don't take into consideration when it comes to both Melee and Brawl; upon their respective releases no changes 'could have' been made what we got with release is what we got...

all those arguments saying 'there's no precedent for a character to get a promotion in the same game' can't really stand any ground if it wasn't even possible for it to happen to begin with...however one can consider ROB as an example since we saw him as an enemy in the SSE before he was playable although that was story based and not a change made after the game's release...I don't use it as an argument for a character's promotion but moreso as a playable character having multiple in game roles...

My point is now there is the distinct possibility for it to happen within the same game via DLC...and looking at Kim's points shows us that these characters can in fact make it into the playable roster, sure it didn't happen in the previous games but there are other things Smash 4 has that others didn't....
You see what I said is true. . .but that doesn't mean it is the end of the story. There is no precedent of NPC's being promoted as DLC. That is a fact and any attempt to argue otherwise is wrong. However, the opposite is true as well. There is absolutely no precedent against NPC's becoming promoted. No statement from sakurai or even the end of DLC to signal otherwise.

Hell we don't even know if mii fighters are deconfirmations let alone NPC's. Personally I am certain there will not be promotions but saying there is evidence one way or another right now is, for all intents and purposes, pointless. It's an unknown frontier at the moment. I choose to far more conservative in a limited enviornment that is DLC. Combine that with the very small popularity of NPC's and it shouldn't be too hard to see my point of view.

TLDR not enough evidence. We are all guessing like we always are and pretending we know we are Wright.
You can have a Toon Link thing like in his stage where he won't show up in the bg if he's a fighter.
People genuinely thought Roy couldn't return because of Roy Koopa. Silly, but I've heard this argument.
Ness had Lucas's specials, which was considered damning, but he returned.
We're creating precedent with DLC. We've only gotten 4. Do I think characters in non-fighter positions have a lower chance? Yes. But I don't think they're impossible.
With the exception of Toon Link none of these are even remotely similar. . .

Last edited:

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
Little Mac went from assist trophy to playable.
Palutena went from Pit's final Smash to playable.
Dedede went from background to playable.
Charizard is no longer in a Pokeball.
Anything can happen.
wow very well said! you raised my spirits! so saki might have a chance! although it is probably to late to change my vote... is it?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Personally, I think if you already have a spot in-game, you have practically no chance. But that's just me.

If I'm Sakurai, and I'm looking at this ballot post-completion...and I see a Top 10 list of: K.Rool, Isaac, Wolf, Snake, Inklings, Ice Climbers, Ridley, Wonder Red, Dillon and Shovel Knight...I'm going to be looking at things that I haven't already considered or aren't already in the game.

K.Rool is a top choice, isn't available as anything but a trophy, etc...why should I pick a character who my developers have already coded into the game as something else? That's essentially time I've wasted developing the game.

Now, I approve of Takamaru, Dillon and others as Smash characters...but for future installments. People have to buy this stuff. Sure, you could argue that people will buy anything. But my issue still lies with the time wasting in it all. Sakurai and the dev team very likely had meetings to make these decisions. If he didn't think Waluigi is playable material during development, he will probably STILL believe that. A bunch of people voting for him to MAYBE crack the top 25 probably will not convince him otherwise. I think Sakurai is a great developer, but he can also be stubborn. I don't blame him sometimes.

At the end of the day, the Top 10 characters are probably going to have the strongest shot of getting into the game, if that's the goal of the ballot. So to me, that includes K.Rool, Isaac, Snake, Wolf, Shovel Knight, Inklings, Ice Climbers (probably won't happen because tech issues), and a few others. Maybe think into the next 5 to make it the top 15 choices.

Expecting an NPC to become DLC isn't impossible, but it isn't practical. You could literally say, "ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!" but it's still a real bad argument. It's like going into a murder trial and saying, "It COULD have been someone else. ANYTHING COULD HAVE HAPPENED!". It's not really something that people take seriously.

Smash 4 DLC is still Smash 4. Using Little Mac as an example doesn't suddenly invalidate the idea that NPC don't have much of a chance for DLC. That was between games. So several years between installments...not months to a year and a half since release. It's definitely not the same thing.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think a big problem is that people are too concerned about their own characters getting into Smash, that they don't think enough about the quality of the roster or what others would like to see.

Now...I myself do have my favored characters I'd like to see in the game. I do try to restrain myself from outright ****ting on someone else's ideas. I notice that there is quite a bit of disdain for characters that aren't "ours". Sure, we can have disagreements. But it doesn't have to be negative either.

Things have been worse in Smash character speculation, but I've realized some things. People will differ in opinion because they simply want to, or don't want to admit something about their favored character.

For example, to some, I probably overstate Snake's chances. However, a lot of people hate on Snake in Smash without any consideration for his fans (which are many in number in regards to Smash, otherwise he wouldn't be in the assumed Top 10) or the legacy of MGS.

Instead of thinking inside of your personal context, take thought into something someone else is saying. Think about what comes with what they're saying.

When I say I support Snake, I want to see Metal Gear represented. Is that entirely because it was in Brawl? Arguably. I'd probably have never played the series if Snake wasn't in Brawl. If you need proof of how important Metal Gear Solid, Snake and Hideo Kojima are to the video game industry, then just take a look at social media and different gaming sites. MGS has stolen the spotlight in a lot of places.

But to some, that won't matter. They'll hate on the character anyway. That upsets me, because I try not to have an outwardly negative reaction to things. Maybe I think that Young Link and Pichu are unnecessary, but others who may have mained those characters would disagree. Sometimes, you have to think about why somebody supports a character, not in your OWN thought process, but through their's and other information.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Keep in mind there is at least one NPC character with multiple roles in the game already. Riki is a final smash and an AT. Who says NPCs can't have multiple roles? I don't think ATs becoming playable is too far out of the question. It's not like the AT gets removed if the character becomes playable.

EDIT: Not to mention the Toon Link thing, but someone has brought that up once already.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think a big problem is that people are too concerned about their own characters getting into Smash, that they don't think enough about the quality of the roster or what others would like to see.

Now...I myself do have my favored characters I'd like to see in the game. I do try to restrain myself from outright ****ting on someone else's ideas. I notice that there is quite a bit of disdain for characters that aren't "ours". Sure, we can have disagreements. But it doesn't have to be negative either.

Things have been worse in Smash character speculation, but I've realized some things. People will differ in opinion because they simply want to, or don't want to admit something about their favored character.

For example, to some, I probably overstate Snake's chances. However, a lot of people hate on Snake in Smash without any consideration for his fans (which are many in number in regards to Smash, otherwise he wouldn't be in the assumed Top 10) or the legacy of MGS.

Instead of thinking inside of your personal context, take thought into something someone else is saying. Think about what come with what they're saying.

When I say I support Snake, I want to see Metal Gear represented. Is that entirely because it was in Brawl? Arguably. I'd probably have never played the series if Snake wasn't in Brawl. If you need proof of how important Metal Gear Solid, Snake and Hideo Kojima are to the video game industry, then just take a look at social media and different gaming sites. MGS has stolen the spotlight in a lot of places.

But to some, that won't matter. They'll hate on the character anyway. That upsets me, because I try not to have an outwardly negative reaction to things. Maybe I think that Young Link and Pichu are unnecessary, but others who may have mained those characters would disagree. Sometimes, you have to think about why somebody supports a character, not in your OWN thought process, but through their's and other information.
I kind of want Bandana Dee more for Sakurai than myself.

There is only one character that I don't understand why he has any support at all. That character is Jumpman. I mean, he is same as Mario, without any differences, unlike Dr. Mario and Paper Mario.

Everyone else I can understand why they are supported, although I don't understand the large demand of some characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There is only one character that I don't understand why he has any support at all. That character is Jumpman. I mean, he is same as Mario, without any differences, unlike Dr. Mario and Paper Mario.

Everyone else I can understand why they are supported, although I don't understand the large demand of some characters.
BluePikmin11 isn't 'large demand'

What the hell are you lot talking about? If jumpman wasn't added the backlash would be immense. . .do you realize how popular and iconic he is? Not adding him to the game would be suicide. . .
Good thing he is already in the game:4mario:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Some people seem to think I'm saying that it is likely that NPCS will be promoted for DLC. That was not my intention. I wanted to say, essentially, their chances are not zero. Do not automatically discount them. Some characters have zero chance, like Goku, Shrek, and Shaq. But I don't think they're in that same category.

We, as a community, come up with a lot of rules about what can and can't happen in Smash, trying to base it off evidence and precedence. But we have been wrong, sometimes about things that seem painfully obvious (the original 12 can never be cut when Jiggly barely made it into Brawl). I'm saying we need to be flexible with regards to what can happen. In a lot of ways, we're more hard-headed than Sakurai. He is willing to break precedence. We don't even have precedence for DLC. This is the first time a Smash game has had it. We don't have much to go off. I know we want a sense of security, that we can predict what will happen, but we need to be open or we end up getting blindsided when our rules fail us. E.g. one character per third party.

People make a lot of assumptions that end up getting accepted without question when they should be examined. That's what I wanted to say. Don't want to get people's hopes up saying "yeah, Waluigi has as much of a chance as K Rool."

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
Or Ness barely making it into Melee.
I had never heard that before. That's an interesting and surprising fact.

Also, who else is terrified of the storm that will descend on the internet once the ballot character(s) is/are announced? Because no matter what some people will be worked into a frenzy of hype and others will declare it the worst thing ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom