• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Melee Thread! 10/20 Little Rock, 10/27 San Antonio

Thoraxe

Smash Apprentice
hopefully you'll still be around tomorrow for our weekly smasfest? wednesday is the norm at either sethlon's or rob's, i'm not sure if its a definite thing tomorrow though, keep updated on the FB page.

Oracle

Smash Master
No one seems to care so im just pushing the start time back to 7:30

:phone:

JF if you're still coming to dallas tonight let me know. My number is 2149142134

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
I already posted about this in the Texas melee group but since Dallas didn't seem to know about the previous event I guess I'll post here as well. I'm having another smashfest at my ranch starting on Wednesday July 4th and ending on Saturday. In addition to melee and P:M there will also be ping pong, a swimming pool, and fireworks. One of the donkeys gave birth yesterday so there will also be a CUTE BABY DONKEY if that's any incentive. My ranch is in Smithville. Check the Texas facebook group or PM me for more information.

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
Oh god, dont you people have work??? Freaking students taking the summer off....makes me feel old. Next time its on a weekend and I'm in town, I'm there!

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
Lol it's a celebration of getting out of summer school. I'll have a weekend ranchfest soon I just wanted to head out there for the 4th.

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
I was at a meeting last week and this week is like the first vacation I'm taking in like forever! Psh, read above - not all of us are students with all the free time in the world anymore....actually, that makes me really sad.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Not only do you have less free time but you have less time in general because you're now getting that much closer to your old age. How old are you again? Like 27?

And all I got out of that was I suck at melee and need to go play a project m or better yet, brawl.

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I can't make it to Austin this weekend since I'm moving!! I'll make it to the next one.

BTW, I'm moving to a tiny 1 bedroom in Euless in the mid cities. I can still host and stuff, but apartment is much smaller :/

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Gotcha. Why you move around so much? lol

For anyone who missed the memo, Rob is going to be having a cookout/smashfest at his place on the 26th!

Oracle

Smash Master
Yeah itll be sweet. It would be cool if other people brought food though as i am not a money tree (sort of a potluck thing) im definitely down to cook though

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so, I hate to say it, but i'm out of town then...I swear this is like the last of my travels for a long time, but my cousin is getting married and Mike and I are taking the weekend (starting on Thursday) to hang in Miami.

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, so I've told a lot of yall, but my fave venue, Area 51 in Grapevine, is moving venues to a much larger space. The owner is already excited about hosting bigger tournaments possibly with more games. THey move in September so I'm shooting for a big statewide tourney mid to late September with another game. The other event will depend on what you guys want (we'll prolly have Brawl btw) so if you guys are adamant about anything, let me know :)

BlinkIV

Avenger
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters. Or Project: M.

In other news! To anyone and everyone attending FC2, the date has been changed to SEPTEMBER 8TH, due to circumstances with the venue, be sure to plan accordingly to come out. To recap, it's Marvel Singles, Marvel Teams, and Project M Singles, Doubles if time allows.

felix45

Smash Lord
sup***s

I was at quakecon. Just posting to say I'm back and here to stay :)

If you guys want to play just use the facebook group or whatever. I will try to remember to check back here too.

MimicMew

Smash Apprentice
sup***s

I was at quakecon. Just posting to say I'm back and here to stay :)

If you guys want to play just use the facebook group or whatever. I will try to remember to check back here too.
haha... I didn't know you were Felix! We played a little bit at quakecon, but I didn't recognize you. I met you back in 08 at Poot's house when I first started, probably don't remember me either though. :p

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
DFW's been pretty quiet lately, but with Sethlon starting up weeklies again, I'm hoping we'll drum up some activity. So who's out there?? HOLLLAAA

Also, I'm hoping to have a date for my next tourney by next Monday. I'm looking at mid to late September

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
As much logic as it makes, with school starting back up, I'm working less hours meaning more evenings off which = more time to smash. Make sure to hit me up when something is going on.

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
Word up, it seems like there's always a summer lull...ironic since school's out. So hopefully we'll get our new year started and people start jonesing for teh smash again.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I've usually found that activity picks up over the summer...but since I've been out of commission with apartment stuff and emily has been off vacationing none of our TOs have been doing anything haha.

For anyone interested in Project M stuff, the next Bowser's Revenge is going to be on September 1st!

@ Emily regarding side games; Project M is a personally favorite (of course =P). If you want to tap into other communities; Persona 4 Arena is a new game thats getting a good amount of hype (I was at a get together last weekend with like 30 people playing)...UMvC3 will likely get a good amount of people (assuming they don't get "Ewww smash" syndrome), and SF4 has a pretty decent sized scene in Dallas too.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
DFW. I am looking to test out a new ruleset that is based on the recent Revelations ruleset. The story behind the test is that for as long as I was running Melee tournaments, I had been using the old EVO ruleset from way back in 2006(or was it in 2007, I don't remember). Anyways, I had been looking over past rulesets, and I feel that it is time to update the ruleset and make it more compliant with MBR standards. Why did I not come out and say that my next Melee tournament is a MBR ruleset one? Simple. DSR is the main reason. I feel that it gives an unfair advantage to the winner of even numbered games(if the set goes the distance) because in effect gives him two stage bans, and not just one.

Anyways enough about my ranting, here is the ruleset that I wish to test, and will test at my next tournament:

Fort Worth Classic Melee Ruleset 2.0 Test Version 1

Stocks = 4
Time Limit = 8 min.
Pause = OFF
Items = OFF

- Wobbling is Legal.

- Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., Ice Climbers’ Freeze Glitch or Mewtwo’s Soul Stunner., etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

- NO Dave's Stupid Rule: A Player MAY counter pick the stage that he/she last won on.

- The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as continuing infinite’s (wobbling/blizzobbling) past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you. Peach’s wall-bombing, or Jigglypuff’s rising pound can be only be used as recovery tactics.

- Controller mods of any kind that affect game play are not allowed and will result in disqualification.

- Turbo or programmed buttons are not allowed. You may use controllers that have these features, but if you are caught using the banned features, then you are not allowed to use the controller any longer.

- No Substitutions are allowed for singles and doubles.

- In an event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by:

* Whoever has more stock left.
* Whoever has less percentage.
* In an event of both players dying at the same time, or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock, three minute overtime battle will take place using the same characters and stage.

Rules for Doubles

Team attack= ON
Items= OFF
Pause= OFF
Life stealing is allowed.

- In the event of a game going to time, the winner is declared by:

* Which ever team has the more combined stock.
* If stocks are the same, then the team with the lowest combined percentage.
* In an event of sudden death not caused by time out, or if percentage is the same, a one stock, three minute overtime battle will take place on the same stage with the same characters.

Set Procedure

1. Priority is determined by coin flip if it can't be agreed on. The winner of the coin flip would have the option of first pick of the ports, or selecting the first stage of the set.
2. Ports are selected. Teams must use the 1-2-2-1 method for ports. The player/team with port priority will have first pick of the ports.
3. Each player/team selects their character.
4. The player/team that did not have port priority selects the first stage out of the legal stages.
5. The first game is played.
6. The winner of the previous game may announce one "Stage Ban" if they haven't done so in this set.
7. The loser of the previous game announces the stage for the next game. NOTE: Dave's Stupid Rule, or Modified Dave's Stupid Rule is not in effect! They are free to select the previous stage that they won on without objections from the opposing player/team.
8. The Player that won the previous match selects their character followed by the loser.
9. The next game is played.
10. Repeat steps 6-9 until a set winner is determined.

Stages

Singles
Final Destination
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium

Doubles
Final Destination
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium
Yoshi's Story
Dreamland
Kongo Jungle 64

The TO's Bill of Rights

The TO reserves the right to:

1. Punish coaching during matches, but not between games. Sometimes things get a little heated over the course of a set, but please don't go into a strategy session with your friends in the middle of your game. This is eSports, so think of this as a Boxing match, not as some casual session.

2. Disqualify you if you are excessively late for your set. Players will have five minutes before their loss of their first game, in which case, five more minutes will be allotted before they lose their set. FWC policy regarding DQs in free tournaments is three minutes before their first loss of game, and three more minutes after that before their loss of set.

3. Punish any intentional forfeiting, match fixing, pot splitting or any other forms of bracket manipulation.

4. Settle all disputes, whether it is determining port priority to ruleset disputes.

5. Save/record any matches if possible and reserves the exclusive right to upload them to the internet in either their raw state or with edited in commentary. (via YouTube or by other means)

The Player's Bill of Rights

The Player reserves the right to:

1. Having a hack free enviroment to play their sets in. This includes cosmetic hacks, stage or any other hacks that does not affect gameplay.

2. Having a set up that is free from any game altering effects. If such a set up was found, the player who brought said set up may face punishment from the TO.

3. Having a reasonable expectation that their name tag and equipment will remain untouched. However, it is ultimately your responsibility to prevent malfunctions or errors in your equipment and name tags, and preventing theft of your controller. Always bring a spare controller if possible, keep an eye on your equipment and always check to see if you are using the correct settings BEFORE the first match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be restarted because of these problems.

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
Why you do this, it so ugly :(
Oh my god, I was just about to post the same thing.

Anyway, new Pinkie Pie Productions has been announced. I'm planning on huge turnout 50+ people. New venue is bigger and DTF (down to [have] fun). Haven't seen a lot of yall in a long time so I hope to see you there!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=314582

@ Emily regarding side games; Project M is a personally favorite (of course =P). If you want to tap into other communities; Persona 4 Arena is a new game thats getting a good amount of hype (I was at a get together last weekend with like 30 people playing)...UMvC3 will likely get a good amount of people (assuming they don't get "Ewww smash" syndrome), and SF4 has a pretty decent sized scene in Dallas too.
I'll think about PM if there is interest. I wanted to do something like UMVC to kind of unite the gaming community, find new players, and also cater more to the crowd that frequents the gameshop.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't count on drawing in the hardcore with a pick like Marvel and Smash. They don't see Smash as a respectable fighter, and as a result, any tournament that offers the two together will see numbers suffer.

Oracle

Smash Master
Yeah the fgc has a stigma against smash for whatever reason. It would be really cool to bring the communities together though.

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
Ok, need people to help with housing for Pinkie Pie Productions!! So far we have Sethlon and Rob. ANYONE ELSE CAN STEP UP?

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Well Melee shouldn't suffer. Marvel should since they don't know Emily all too well I think. But MvC3 isn't seen as a respectable fighter to anyone either so it's not like we're losing that much there. Maybe if it were a real game like MvC2

Denthorn

Smash Cadet
So, Emily, do you know which game you're running along with smash? Personally I'd love to see a persona side event at this... Mainly because that would pretty much mean I'm 100% guaranteed to be there since the community up here in Denton for p4a actually travels places. And exists.
Yeah...

Yeah the fgc has a stigma against smash for whatever reason. It would be really cool to bring the communities together though.
You're thinking specifically of the loud, stupid group that is a subsection of srk's posters. The people that actually have any idea what they're talking about are usually pretty cool about it.

Top Bottom