• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
If Shulk is in fact a fraudulent newcomer, I want to know where I can get that mod. He looks stupendous. Then again, I'm not even a Xenoblade fan so I'm not sure that's how he's supposed to turn out.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This was sort of were my reactions to the Brawl roster.
Keep in mind I'm one of those people who prefer Main character newcomers instead of sidekicks+villains.

Also, this is my opinion, and mine alone. Some of these thoughts may sound conceited, but hey, they're my thoughts. :D

BRAWL ROSTER REACTION

The Possitive: (+2 each)
:olimar:Great! New franchise to represent.
:pit:Awesome! Not like I remembered him, but who cares! Kid Icarus rules!
:pt:AWESOME! The main starters led by the protagonist from the first games!
:rob:Great! He's iconic, and he bring a unique and creative moveset.
:sonic:YES! Once rivals with Mario, now good buds with him, Sonic has so many exclusives, he's earned the spot!
(5)

The neutral: (+1 each)
:snake:Indeed a surprise, but.. is he really a Nintendo All-Star?
:diddy:Meh, DK's sidekick, but I'll cut him some slack because of DKC2 and DDKR.
:wario:A Mario character representing a subfranchise. Eh, alright.
:zerosuitsamus:Alright, guess if Zelda can do it, so can Samus.
(4)

The negative: (-1 each)
:metaknight:Kirby's rival, yay.
:dedede:Kirby's other rival. Swell.
:lucas:Another Mother character from a game that wasn't released in the west.
:ike:Another blue haired swordsman from Fire Emblem, replaced the more unique looking Roy.
:lucario: Who is this? Why is he so important?
:toonlink:Ugh, it's Link again.
:wolf:Instead of the more unique Krystal? Yay for Landmasters.
(7)

SSB4 Roster reaction:

The Possitive: (+2 each)
:4megaman:YEAH!!! He's finallly in!! NES classic, fan forever etc, etc, hype 100000/10!
:4wiifit:Great addition! She's unique, she comes from a new IP, etc, etc.
:4littlemac:AT LONG LAST! Man oh man, what took this guy so long! He should have been in SSB from the start!
:4robinm::4robinf: In your FACE Gematsu! No more F.E. blue haired swordsmen!
:4pacman:Oh yeah! Oh yeah! This game is CRAWLING with videogame icons!
:058::083: YES!!! Even more classic game characters! Thank you, Sakurai! Nostalgia level INSANE CPU9000!!!
(6)

The neutral: (+1 each)
:rosalina:Ok... another Mario character. Who am I kidding, it was innevitable. But maybe she isn't so bad. Love the moves.
:4palutena:Right... sure, NOW Kid Icarus is popular. And Palutena is crawling with as many moves from Uprising as Sakurai can show off... Fine, whatever, welcome aboard.
:4mii:Really mixed feelings here. They could have made something SO much better, like IMO Emerl from Sonic Battle who can borrow ANY move from ANY character. Missed opportunity... oh well, at least it's kinda like create a character mode.
:bowser:Eh, it's another Mario character, but at least he's unique so I'm cutting him slack. I don't hate him like I did in the Brawl days at least.
(4)

The negative: (-1 each)
:4villager:Eh... so what's so cool about Animal Crossing again...?
:4greninja::4charizard: No freaking way. Solo Charizard? No Mewtwo? Who the heck is he? Again, Solo Charizard? Hell no, where's Squirtle? Where's Ivysaur? Where's the TRAINER?
:4lucina:Oh, it's Marth again? This has to be a joke, she looks EXACTLY like Marth. Gimme a break. Instead of no more blue haired swordsmen, you add a blue haired swordsWOMAN? Well played, Sakurai, lazy, but well played.
:evil::4pit: *Facepalm* I cannot believe this. Dark Pit was a RECOLOR. He should have stayed that way. Where's Medusa?
:drmario: This is getting stupid. This is literally the 3rd costume-gone-character clone. This better stop right here, right now.
(5-6)

The verdict:

BRAWL:

5//4//7
10 + 4 - 7 = 7

SSB4: (so far)
6//4//6
12 + 4 - 6 = 12 +12(returning Sonic) = 14

So far, I'm enjoying the SSB4 roster considerably more. :D Practically twice as much!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I agree there's room for it to be fake, but honestly i've been watching that video over and over and i just don't see why is Shulk a Marth clone, only his recovery seems similar, but a lot of his tilts ans Smashes have different animations and way more reach, not to mention he only draws his sword for each attack, but while he is not attacking he doesn't even have the Monado out.
Maybe I am just delusional, I thought I saw Marth's standard special, his u-smash, his u-air, his n-air, and Roy's d-smash. However, as I am on #TeamFake so any similarity is probably blown out of proportion from my end. Regardless, you cannot deny that he is everything that Sakurai did not want out of Chrom.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Maybe I am just delusional, I thought I saw Marth's standard special, his u-smash, his u-air, his n-air, and Roy's d-smash. However, as I am on #TeamFake so any similarity is probably blown out of proportion from my end. Regardless, you cannot deny that he is everything that Sakurai did not want out of Chrom.
Vision DEFINITELY appears as Shulk's Down Special, but its basically just another Counter. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they used Marth as a basis for Shulk due to some similarities, but I checked out the GIFs posted in the Shulk thread. He does have a lot of different moves, even if some resemble Marth.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
He also seemed to switch "arts" since symbol that covered his entire body appeared, i'm guessing these could affect his speed, knockback, etc...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
He also seemed to switch "arts" since symbol that covered his entire body appeared, i'm guessing these could affect his speed, knockback, etc...
The Monado Arts changes his stats slightly. It doesn't change his moveset at all.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Apparently, there's a new leak that essentially listed the final CSS from 2ch. It essentially looks something like this:

3DS Final Roster.png

Second-to-last row should be centered, but you get the point. The main difference is that the Mii Fighters all disappear when Customizations are turned off. Here's the Wii U Roster (and since the CSS looks drastically different without the Miis, I'll show you both versions of said CSS just to be safe):

Wii U Final Roster 2.png

Once again, with the last CSS, the top row should be centered. But when the customizable features are turned on, they line up in the 15th column on top of the Random icon; it doesn't break up any of the characters save for the old school characters, but beyond that, it all looks good.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Apparently, there's a new leak that essentially listed the final CSS from 2ch. It essentially looks something like this:

View attachment 23356

Second-to-last row should be centered, but you get the point. The main difference is that the Mii Fighters all disappear when Customizations are turned off. Here's the Wii U Roster (and since the CSS looks drastically different without the Miis, I'll show you both versions of said CSS just to be safe):

View attachment 23359

Once again, with the last CSS, the top row should be centered. But when the customizable features are turned on, they line up in the 15th column on top of the Random icon; it doesn't break up any of the characters save for the old school characters, but beyond that, it all looks good.
Lol. Pics or it didn't happen, Ridley would appear next to Samus for sure as he wouldn't be a clone.

EDIT: Same with Mewtwo.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
@ E epicgordan - Any reason we should believe that to be the final character select screen? Like any at all? It's basically the same additional newcomers that no one knows as of right now and adding Ice Climbers and Wolf back into the mix. Don't get me wrong I love the roster for not throwing away any additional characters (Besides Lucas, sorry if I have to give one up, it'd be Lucas I guess unfortunately). But it's one of those too good to be true deals. Impa, Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Mach Rider, and Chorus Kids as additional newcomers, plus the lacking my two biggest personal losses in terms of cuts????

No way I can believe that, it's too good to be true minus the fact it lacks King K. Rool. But I mean I'm absolutely delighted if such a roster actually exists and King K. Rool be damned if I was to get the rest of that roster. Sigh, I want this to be true, but I know it's not unfortunately, there is such a thing as too good to be true and there's zero evidence pertaining to it actually being the correct roster. (Does it even fit the leaked 3DS CSS size???)

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Lol. Pics or it didn't happen, Ridley would appear next to Samus for sure as he wouldn't be a clone.

All it was was a list. There were no pics or anything of that sort. As for the Ridley/Mewtwo positions, the likely scenario would be that all eight of these characters would be grouped with the late additions simply because, providing they recreate Mewtwo and Dr. Mario from scratch, they would try to borrow assets from existing characters to speed up their development. The same could apply to Ridley. They don't necessarily have to be clones, but given that Shulk clearly borrowed assets from other fighters, it isn't outside the realm of possibility that that would be why those three characters would all be grouped with the clones (we are all just assuming that Dr. Mario and Dark Pit were all alts-turned-clones anyways, when we really do not know for sure if that was how they came to be in the first place; Sakurai did call Lucina an extremely lucky addition after all).

@ E epicgordan - Any reason we should believe that to be the final character select screen? Like any at all? It's basically the same additional newcomers that no one knows as of right now and adding Ice Climbers and Wolf back into the mix. Don't get me wrong I love the roster for not throwing away any additional characters (Besides Lucas, sorry if I have to give one up, it'd be Lucas I guess unfortunately). But it's one of those too good to be true deals. Impa, Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Mach Rider, and Chorus Kids as additional newcomers, plus the lacking my two biggest personal losses in terms of cuts????

No way I can believe that, it's too good to be true minus the fact it lacks King K. Rool. But I mean I'm absolutely delighted if such a roster actually exists and King K. Rool be damned if I was to get the rest of that roster. Sigh, I want this to be true, but I know it's not unfortunately, there is such a thing as too good to be true and there's zero evidence pertaining to it actually being the correct roster. (Does it even fit the leaked 3DS CSS size???)
If the leak was too good to be true, then it would not perfectly collaborate with my own theory considering additional overlapping leaks (around the same time as when Ninka first provided us with his leak and we all ignored it), as well as my own personal theory. If anything, the only reason this looks too good to be true at all was because people raised their hopes way too high for Melee and Brawl. Brawl, I could at least understand since it was six to seven years since the last installment at that point in time, especially since Melee gave us 14 newcomers (which, if anything, was well more than what should have been expected from a game two years in the making).

Fact remains, Melee's development cycle was considered unhealthy by Sakurai and was padded out with six clones. Brawl's roster was much smaller than anticipated due to Subspace Emissary as well as Sonic being such a late addition took up so much time from other characters as well.

The leaked list pretty much matches my CSS theory taking into consideration all these other leaks to a tee. It just makes more sense with Ice Climbers and Wolf added back in (with them cut, it just doesn't add up).

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace

Mewtwo is a clone of mew and other m ridley (the version that would be playable) if a clone of the original ridley, two clones being with clones is the best option :troll:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Not pertaining to any particular thread of conversation here, but I feel obligated to at least throw my opinions into the fray all the same!

Overall, if this is indeed our final roster, I'll be content. I've always maintained a policy of trusting Sakurai and the dev team, so I will respect their choices regardless of my own particular opinions and attitudes therein. Since Pit was first revealed to be a faithful representation of his Uprising incarnation (itself a potent contender for my all-time favourite game), I declared that I would be well and truly satisfied if Palutena was revealed. Obviously, that's what we got, so everything else is just icing on the delicious fanservice cake to me!

As for the character themselves - I'm going to offer a controversial opinion and suggest that clones are not, for the most part, fixed fighters. There are of course exceptions to the rule (the likes of Ganondorf and Falco spring to mind quite readily), yet for the most part, I detect a certain pattern of introducing and altering the cast of clones with every successive generation. The roster transition from Melee to Brawl was a particularly substantial paradigm shift, and the cast of characters seems to be being overhauled somewhat from Brawl to Smash 4 as well. From that perspective, I don't begrudge Sakurai taking risks and switching out the fighters to keep things fresh and interesting. As sad as I am to see my old favourites Lucas and Wolf step out of the ring, I'm intrigued and open-minded as to how our new faces will take to the stage at that.

Of course, there is the argument of X character taking Y character's place in the roster. This argument, I will suggest, is two-fold:

If you are arguing that the inclusion of clones means your favourite character has been scrapped - I disagree entirely. My sympathies go out to you, but to argue that the addition of Dr. Mario and Dark Pit means King K. Rool and Ridley are not going to appear is nonsense. By Sakurai's own admission, clones are "freebies": they are added in later on in development to give the roster some padding out and allow players an affordable alternative to a character they may want to play, but are not particularly good at or used to. They do not take up another "new" character's place any more than Mario or the random slot does. Furthermore, I am personally ecstatic that Lucina is a newcomer, as it will give myself and other like-minded players the chance to play a fighting style that we have always been keen to play, but have never really gotten to grips with or had the time to properly invest in it. Lucina, to me, represents an easier, less rigourous representation of Marth's fighting style, and I for one welcome her addition to the roster as such! Her being in it does no harm to the game and, in fact, gives her fans and fans of the Fire Emblem series as a whole something more to be excited about.

If, though, you are arguing that the inclusion of clones means other clones are set aside in their stead - yes, I concur with such sentiments, but I see it as a sound choice to keep things fresh and interesting at best and a necessary evil at worst. For better or for worse, clones seem to represent what is relevant and important at the time: Roy was introduced to promote the then-unreleased Fire Emblem 6 in Japan, then was replaced by Ike from Path of Radiance / Radiant Dawn (although Ike fights differently enough in his respective games to warrant his own fighting style and moveset) and, now, has bestowed his position as a Marth clone to Lucina, the most relevant and important character of that ilk in the series at this point in time. In the same way that I doubt Roy will return to another Smash game, I would be shocked and astounded if Dark Pit returns in future iterations of the series (unless, of course, another Kid Icarus game appears in the interim). I honestly can't justify the inclusion of Dr. Mario over any other potential clones, but I will wait and see what Sakurai does in that respect before making any judgements overall.

tl;dr - I like clones and think they're okay fighters

Burruni

Smash Hero
So, before anyone else posts up the INCREDIBLY blurry beyond belief picture of just the top screen of a CSS that adds in Mewtwo, Ridley, Dixie, Wolf, and someone-else-I've-already-forgotten and appears to remedy some of the roster layout problems with series (and just adds in new ones): Don't.

It will bring nothing to the table. Because it just screams fake.

Move along.

Edit: The 5th was Chorus Men, placed between Shulk and WFT.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
So, before anyone else posts up the INCREDIBLY blurry beyond belief picture of just the top screen of a CSS that adds in Mewtwo, Ridley, Dixie, Wolf, and someone-else-I've-already-forgotten and appears to remedy some of the roster layout problems with series (and just adds in new ones): Don't.

It will bring nothing to the table. Because it just screams fake.

Move along.
It's pretty amazing how much optimism you can pack into 5 character slots.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm genuinely curious as to whether not these hypothetical "dream slots" would alleviate fans' distastes for the current roster. I've heard quite a number of responses claiming that they will "forgive" Sakurai and the dev team if X character appears in Y slot; although I've also heard just as many say that they're content with the roster as it is, so I should imagine it ultimately comes down to whether or not your favourite character(s) made the cut.

At the end of the day, it's all Schrödinger's Roster: until the actual game is released, we can fill the remaining positions with anything and everything. After all, hope is the greatest gift.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm genuinely curious as to whether not these hypothetical "dream slots" would alleviate fans' distastes for the current roster. I've heard quite a number of responses claiming that they will "forgive" Sakurai and the dev team if X character appears in Y slot; although I've also heard just as many say that they're content with the roster as it is, so I should imagine it ultimately comes down to whether or not your favourite character(s) made the cut.

At the end of the day, it's all Schrödinger's Roster: until the actual game is released, we can fill the remaining positions with anything and everything. After all, hope is the greatest gift.
Here's the problem I see: any number of characters would sell it for me. Robin and Mega Man half sells it, but... It'd take K. Rool or Isaac to make me really like the roster. The rest just seem a bit lackluster IMO. Dixie Kong would be ok, we need at least ONE new DK character, but K. Rool would just be so much hype and Isaac really deserves to be playable as well (I mean, if Shulk is in, Isaac should be as well, Shulk is basically getting the treatment Isaac should've had in Brawl).

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Alright, newcomer tier list. I'm just going to steal what @ shinhed-echi shinhed-echi did above me, because the first Smash Bros game I ever sunk my teeth into was Brawl, so I'm just stealing what he did.

The Good
:olimar: It's nice that Smash represented some new IPs at the time. I played Pikmin before Brawl came out, and I was glad to see him in.
:sonic: Now we can truly find out who would win in a fight between Sonic and Mario!
:warioc: With Wario having two big franchises (at the time at least), it made sense for Wario to finally make his Smash debut.
:dedede:+:metaknight: Kirby needed a new rep or two, and who else than Kirby's main villains?

The Meh
:snake: I know Kojima wanted him in, but he feels so out of place, and wouldn't Simon Belmont be a better Konami rep?
:pt: He has a unique gimmick, but it just doesn't feel very well executed. Stamina? Really?
:rob: He's a cool character, but he's not my cup of tea. He's a great retro character however.
:zerosuitsamus: She's Samus' Shiek essentially. Just it's executed better.
:lucas: A new Earthbound rep. He's not super interesting, but who else would you have?
:pit: His inclusion is why we have KI:U (I love that game to bits), but like R.O.B., he's just not my type of character. Also, "he's 2 cheep" - everyone of my friends
:diddy: Donkey Kong needed a newcomer, and I feel like this is an obvious choice.

The Bad
:ike: I would have rather had Micaiah as a recent Fire Emblem rep, and he's a big reason why the "blue haired-swordsmen trend" started.
:lucario: I would rather have had Mewtwo. :ohwell:
:toonlink: Young Link in a new coat of paint.
:wolf: More Star Fox clones! :rotfl:

The Good
:4megaman: Alright! He's finally in and fits in perfectly! Now all we need is
:4pacman: and then it would be a nerdy 90s kid's dream video game!
:4robinf: I love Fire Emblem Awakening. I also love what they did with this character. I also love how it's not a blue-haired swordsman.
:4villager: I really love Animal Crossing. I also love what they did with this character.
:4littlemac: He really deserves this spot, and I really like what they did with him.
I think that the Duck Hunt Dog is a fantastic retro character. It's also probably the closest thing to Banjo-Kazooie we're getting in Smash.

The Meh
:4palutena: I love Kid Icarus Uprising. What they did with this character was alright.
:4lucina: I know she's the biggest clone ever, but I'm super biased and I like Lucina too much.
:rosalina: We were getting a new Mario character, and I would have preferred Toad, but I like what they're doing with her Luma.
:4wiifit: Oh Mashed Potato Samurai. :psycho:
:4mii: I used to despise the ideas of Miis, but I like what they're doing with them. I can finally play as Urkel from Family Matters in Smash Bros!
I haven't played enough Xenoblade / seen enough Shulk to say whether he interests me or not, but I know he's insanely popular, so take that for what you will.

The Bad
:4greninja: I would rather have had Mewtwo. :ohwell: Again.
Did we really need two Mario newcomers? Anyway, I think Rosalina is much more interesting than BJ is, as she actually brings something to the table. I also hate Bowser Jr. in general
Seems like they're going the clone route, which is a true shame. He can easily be original, as seen in KI:U.
Why? I would rather have Pichu than the Doc.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Let's say we get 3 newcomers left, assuming the original ESRB leak is real.

Here's my choosing.

Marshal because Rhythm Heaven having a character is fairly justified, unique, and something most people can accept now.

Bandana Dee to help Kirby's roster up to 4 when Mario's getting 7. Kirby is kept bigger than Star Fox or DK, but on par with Fire Emblem and less than Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. The most logical choice for another Kirby rep, being the Rosalina to the series with a unique weapon and the movepool of all the crap Dee's have done in the series.

King K. Rool because as a third DK character he's more interesting than Dixie to me. Dk goes up to Star Fox levels of representation, assuming Wolf returns... and presumably Kid Icarus's 3 games.

Presumably, Pokemon and Zelda are going to be at 5.

Can we all compromise and stand with this roster?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Sometimes I wonder sometimes if the word clone is kind of a broken term in certain usages in this community. This recent thing with Shulk just seems weird to me. I don't really understand, yes some of his moves share similarities to other swordwielders, though mostly in the context of well, being a sword. His moveset does appear not to be a copy from a single character which is what I thought a clone referred to going back to the Melee days. Now it seems like it's kind of being used when a character has any similarity to another.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce

Mewtwo and/or Ridley would make or break this game for me. In addition to a character I really wanted, the likes of Duck Hunt, Palutena, and WFT sound great! But I don't care enough about anyone we have (or the ones confirmed from the leaks) to be satisfied with the newcomers if noone I specifically wanted makes it.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Here's the problem I see: any number of characters would sell it for me. Robin and Mega Man half sells it, but... It'd take K. Rool or Isaac to make me really like the roster. The rest just seem a bit lackluster IMO. Dixie Kong would be ok, we need at least ONE new DK character, but K. Rool would just be so much hype and Isaac really deserves to be playable as well (I mean, if Shulk is in, Isaac should be as well, Shulk is basically getting the treatment Isaac should've had in Brawl).
The issue there is, it's a fine line between "what the fans want" and "what works in the game". Unless Sakurai works his already overstated hands to the figurative bone to include every single requested character, there are going to be disappointments. Such is an inevitability when you're dealing with with such a massive game as Smash that represents the distilled essence of over thirty years of gaming lore and legend.

I really do think that the issue is that the roster was prematurely leaked and, perhaps, Sakurai left the "salt tier" choices until the very end. Had we had the likes of Dr Mario and Dark Pit straight away and left Mega Man and Little Mac until the end - well, I can only imagine the fan reaction would have been nigh-on cataclysmic from inherent hype. Getting all of the big surprises out of the way first and leaving what would generally be considered the poorer choices (Duck Hunt Dog and Shulk seemingly being the "acceptable" inclusions) until the end is naturally going to lead to an underwhelming response, especially when the revelations come prior to their intended release dates.

Still, only time will tell. Not to be delusional or stubborn, but I maintain a policy of scrupulous skepticism until such a time as we can empirically verify the leaks either way.

And because all of the cool kids are doing it, let's take a little look-see at my own personal roster ratings! Bear in mind that I don't find any choices to be objectively poor; thus I will rate them based on what I like and what I am impartial to.

:olimar: Love the games, delighted to see a quirky and original fighter from a relatively new IP
:dedede: Aw yeah baby, it's King Deeds. Love him as a boss, love him as a fighter
:rob: Quirky, unexpected, adorable, wonderful. Everything I could want in a character
:lucas: Same Ness taste, now with great new PK flavours!
:wario: A childhood favourite with a great personality and some truly outrageous moves
:wolf: One of my most unexpected delights to play, and I just love his taunts!
:zerosuitsamus: Brilliantly left-field idea - I play her much more than I play regular Samus!

IMPARTIAL

:pit: As much as I love him nowadays, he does nothing for me in this game. Sorry, Wingsbro!
:ike: I never really got into his particular games, but I do like that they have a unique type of swordfighter!
:metaknight: Never my favourite character and his fighting style does nothing to interest me
:squirtle: :ivysaur: :charizard: Clever idea, but never my cup of tea in any way, shape or form
:lucario: Never had any interest in him as a Pokémon or as a fighter
:toonlink: My favourite incarnation of Link, and yet his lack of potential-fulfilling unique moves is a real shame
:diddy: Nothing against the little guy, but he's never been my favourite member of the DK Crew

:4palutena: My most desired newcomer and one of my all-time favourite characters. Pretty Palutena is a stellar choice overall
:4greninja: Definitely not one I was expecting to appear, much less like, but he captured my heart pretty quickly!
:4lucina: I love her as a character and am excited to be able to play as a simpler, more user-friendly alternative to Marth!
:4robinm: As much as I adore Chrom from the bottom of my heart, I feel that s/he deserves it more. A pleasant and dramatic surprise!
:4villager: I actually think that s/he deserves it more than any other character in the game. A quirky, adorable fighter who really brings something new to the table and represents a new series in the roster!
:4wiifit: Not someone I was expecting to like. I was always intrigued by her/him, but upon further deliberation, s/he's really won a place in my favourite fighters!
:4littlemac: Not my cup of tea as a fighter, but I love his games and I can't deny he deserves his place in the roster
:rosalina: A real dark horse, this one, though her truly unique fighting style and graceful presence is going to be great to play first-hand!
:4pacman: I was hoping we'd see this crafty little chap as a retro guest character. Namco Bandai did not disappoint
:4megaman: A true gaming icon! His moves are clever and do his character justice - very, very pleased to be see him in the roster!

IMPARTIAL

...You know what? I'm actually okay with this!

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You're might be the only one. I don't agree with Doc returning at all. Mario and Doc are the EXACT same person
I can see how that works, because I originally wanted him to be a color swap

Also, don't take this the wrong way or anything, but you don't have your sig updated with Palutena and Lucina confirmed.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Is it just me, or am I not the only one here who's 100% ok with Dr Mario returning?
I'm pretty ok with it, mainly becuase he wouldn't be really taking much development time, nor anyone else's slot. Same way that i feel about Dark Pit, plues he's a veteran.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I can see how that works, because I originally wanted him to be a color swap

Also, don't take this the wrong way or anything, but you don't have your sig updated with Palutena and Lucina confirmed.
Lol no biggie. I've been too busy to even edit that thanks for letting me know!

Definitely agree. I don't get how Project M did it but not Smash 4. It's like going back in time with clones.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Dudes, Brawl came out in 2008. I would have been 10.

Prior to that, I only had a N64 and the original, with only playing melee once or twice with none of the characters unlocked.

Back then, there wasn't any negatives. In my eyes, they added over 20 characters to brawl, almost 30.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Dudes, Brawl came out in 2008. I would have been 10.

Prior to that, I only had a N64 and the original, with only playing melee once or twice with none of the characters unlocked.

Back then, there wasn't any negatives. In my eyes, they added over 20 characters to brawl, almost 30.
I was also 10 when brawl came out I got brawl for my 11TH birthday

Asteiri

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-4598-6259
It's so hard to stay caught up with this thread when work is kicking my butt. I'm honestly hoping that the announcement that's Japan exclusive might have something to commemorate the somewhat late anniversary of Earthbound. I've never liked playing Ness or Lucas but I really really hope one of them returns.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Sometimes I wonder sometimes if the word clone is kind of a broken term in certain usages in this community. This recent thing with Shulk just seems weird to me. I don't really understand, yes some of his moves share similarities to other swordwielders, though mostly in the context of well, being a sword. His moveset does appear not to be a copy from a single character which is what I thought a clone referred to going back to the Melee days. Now it seems like it's kind of being used when a character has any similarity to another.
"LUCARIO IS A MEWTWO CLONE!111!!!!!1 IT'S TRUUUUU!!!"

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
My Smash History Hype:

Soopur!. .Smaaaaaaaaaaaasshh Brotherrrrrrrrrrrrss!. . .
:falcon64:: Starting out playing the game at a young age I didn't know that much about Nintendo franchise characters. I was so interested of who this character was when I picked him up & played him, it felt like an upgrade compared to Samus when having to deal with playing against my family 1-on-1 or FFAs. He's a badass & playing the game unlocking him & learning about him, made me love F-Zero like I do today. Thee most hyped character I have ever experienced when playing against friends.

:link64:, :pikachu64:, :fox64:, :luigi64:, & :yoshi64:: Barely knowing about any of these characters I was only aware of who Link, Pikachu, & Luigi were. I knew neither of Fox nor Yoshi, but I'm glad that all of these characters were mostly the characters I had to play against during my childhood of playing the game during my pinnacle of Smash 64 playing. Props to Link, Pikachu, & Fox being the most difficult challenges to beat from my family & friends.
Super Smash Bros. Melee
:falcomelee:: Knew enough about Star Fox around this time, excited to play the wingman of the Star Fox team, being cocky personality-wise. The character brought me a lot of hype matches when playing against my friends with plenty of good games to boot.
:marthmelee:: Probably thee most hyped Melee newcomer for me ever. Knowing nothing about the character much like Falcon's case in Smash 64, I played the character unlocking my full potential of playing the game increasing my hype for Marth even further. My reaction of his inclusion in Melee over time, has become my pinnacle of hype for Melee in a nutshell.
:mewtwomelee:: Mewtwo Strikes Back! the movie back then, was fantastic for me watching it then. Seeing Mewtwo being playable in Smash Brothers Melee was jaw-dropping when I kept any news of the entire roster hidden from my eyes & ears. Seeing him in the game when I unlocked him, gave me shivers for the first time listening to the BG sounds & seeing his silhouette.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
:metaknight:: Looked so badass in the Wii reveal trailer, swooping in hacking & slashing the other fighters back then was my cup of tea. Seeing him in the trailer I told myself watching him I'd play him & main him. Was worth it, for a while.
:lucario:: Watching his debut movie of Lucario & the Mystery of Mew, knowing full well that Sean Schemmel was the VA for the movie cario. I didn't outright play him at the start, but i eventually came to love playing him & get hype in return for playing him seriously.
:pt::squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:: This entire character slot & characters to play, was hype to see starters being playable in Smash! My love for grass types & all of them playing together in coordination like the games, I was ecstatic for his inclusion of the Pkmn.
:sonic:: Hype beyond hype to see one of my all-time favorite video game character mascots, playable in Smash, being one of my all-time favorite game series. Probably thee most hype newcomer in Brawl for me for all said reasons about Sonic.
:rob: & :snake: not being hype at first for me, knowing who Snake was but not so much R.O.B, it took me a year or two after Brawl's release to warm up to them & play them enough to get hyped on them as I played friendlies often with them.
Super Smash Bros. 4 & 5
HM: :4falcon: being finally revealed in a trailer showing off so many moves, I screamed in a manly chant built-up in less than 2 seconds.
:4greninja:, :4megaman:, & :4palutena: all accumulated the majority of my hype for this game's roster & future game-play I can't wait to play. Greninja & Mega Man mostly sealing the deal for me, Palutena was bonus extra hype.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
SHULK IS IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELL YEAH. I knew I got up this morning for a reason, and he looks a lot like the one from the leak, so that spells well for the leak, but more gameplay of him makes me a believer in his character potential. That was an awesome albeit short trailer. But still Shulk confirmed!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom