• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'm going to agree with @ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon on this one. The timing of this revealing trailer was anticipated by many & surely did not excite me all too well considering how blown up the leak got with Shulk DP Dr.Mario & Bowser Jr. all in one go. Had Sakurai put in more than just one returning fighter or perhaps a 2nd newcomer, the video would of built me up more hype to want to buy the game even more. Still hype to know a new IP is addressed in the Smash Bros. roster now, but it was fairly known this would end up happening sooner or later. Showing just Bowser (wtf?), & showing Marth & Link for random Sword dueling (wtf?) didn't sell it to me. His playable stage for the Xenoblade franchise series helped, but characters are the bigger ploy via reveals.

Edit: I enjoyed that cameo appearance from Metal Face, that builds up the Xenoblade series hype for Smash. Though I won't consider Shulk's trailer the worst, I'd put it down there as a decent trailer. I was more impressed by his game-play of Monado arts, & Captain Falcon's short reveal of B-reverse Falcon Punch being an option again. Pivot specials & Wavebounced specials are likely to return 100% now, that was half the hype from Shulks trailer for me.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
They also showed a new AT, which was nice. Honestly, I'm pretty certain most of these videos have been done for a while now, it's not like he throws them together before he reveals them.

A lot the hype from this reveal was also diminished due to the leak.

Speaking of which, it's nice to know that Sulk's Up B isn't a clone of Marth's at all.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
oh, so you only saw the japanese version of the trailer?

also, Little Mac's trailer wasn't much better for what you stated here.
Little Mac was the first trailer we saw after E3 (not likely the last)
Little Mac had an entire art style dedicated to it
Little Mac had multiple character cameos in it, which make if fun for anyone regardless of if they are fans for the series or not because they can feel included for spotting sandbag or Samus rolling across the floor

Those are HUGE factors.

Little Mac's also had an entire story to it.
So, ya know, that's pretty much everything.

Shulk's, even after watching the English version, said.

"Hi Bowser.
Here's My blade.
I can see the future."

It was abysmal. There was not effort. You can attempt to defend it you like, but I am only going to question what bias you have towards the matter, because objectively, it is far, FAR worse, than every other one.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Little Mac had multiple character cameos in it, which make if fun for anyone regardless of if they are fans for the series or not because they can feel included for spotting sandbag or Samus rolling across the floor

Those are HUGE factors.

"Hi Bowser.
Here's My blade.
I can see the future."

It was abysmal. There was not effort. You can attempt to defend it you like, but I am only going to question what bias you have towards the matter, because objectively, it is far, FAR worse, than every other one.
The character cameos point is weak. Shulk had Bowser, Link, and Marth feature in the CGI portion of the trailer.

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
*double post*
Pac-Man, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager and Greninja didn't have a 'story' in their trailers either. It seems to me that you just don't like Shulk as a character which is the reason why you're hating on the trailer.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Wrong. It was Rosalina.
Rosalina's trailer might have been the best, and I don't care at all about the character. It played with expectations incredibly well and didn't rely on gimmicks like anime or a comic book art style to be interesting.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Speaking of which, it's nice to know that Sulk's Up B isn't a clone of Marth's at all.
What is it? Is it his Air Slash @ 1:30?

Edit: Because if that's what you mean, then his start-up & animation is closely similar to Marth's Dolphin Slash. Shulk getting another side-swipe slash after that is a nice add-on to not be exactly like Marth's UpB.

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy

Those are HUGE factors.

"Hi Bowser.
Here's My blade.
I can see the future."

I'm sorry, but you're labeling your opinion as fact under the guise of objectivity. It's fine if you didn't like it as well as the other trailers, but other people did. Different things get different people hyped. I'm sorry this one didn't work for you, but everything you've said about the trailer has been subjective.

I enjoyed the trailer immensely. I've played Xenoblade Chronicles, and the trailer was all fan service (which is how most of the trailers are). And I am totally expecting Metal Face to be a stage boss.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
What is it? Is it his Air Slash @ 1:30?

Edit: Because if that's what you mean, then his start-up & animation is closely similar to Marth's Dolphin Slash. Shulk getting another side-swipe slash after that seals the deal then.
Yes, it's Air Slash, the start up resembles Marth's Dolphin Slash. When it connects the effect and animation changes to mirror the move from Xenoblade.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Yes, it's Air Slash, the start up resembles Marth's Dolphin Slash. When it connects the effect and animation changes to mirror the move from Xenoblade.

*Edited after Spazzy's like*

EDIT: So guys, how many more sword characters do you think we may get, none? one? perhaps two if DP plays almost exactly like Pit does??. .

So guys, how many more counterattacks do you think we'll see characters use / have from any newcomers?

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
question my bias? Towards SHULK?

AHAHAHAH!

you're kidding right? I never really liked shulk, I'm an Isaac kind of guy. That doesn't pardon that the trailer was still pretty good.

Like I said, It's probably just bias because he was already leaked, that's why you aren't hyped.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Imagine Shulk using the Monado Speed while in Bunny Hood. Fastest character confirmed

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I personally didn't like the trailer than much either, but 'eh, probably just because he was already leaked and people wouldn't stop bringing him up.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
oh, so you only saw the japanese version of the trailer?

also, Little Mac's trailer wasn't much better for what you stated here.
Ok seriously...?

Little Mac's trailer started out in Doc's gym. An arcade cabinet thrown in there (Punch Out started in an arcade) and a little training montage a'la Rocky movies. All done in motion-comic style for a more western flavor.
The training theme song at the gym was composed in such a fashion that it rescebled the Eye of the Tiger intro. (I even made a video about it, replacing the song).

There's a little comical sequence with Samus, and a hint of his special gimmick, the KO Uppercut.

Then we have Little Mac pummeling the Smash Bros. heavies, and being excessibely aggressive in his playstyle that ploughs through anything.

As a Punch Out! fan, I got everything I wanted out of Little Mac's trailer. We even had Doc and Mac eating chocolate bars at the end! + Sandbag, + Samus. :D
Sure I would have made more interactions between Little Mac and Villager, Wiifit, and a reference to Referee Mario. But it was still one of the best trailers out there. But this may be because I'm a huge Punch Out! fan.

All I'm saying is, I am NOT a Xenoblade fan, and Shulk's trailer worked for me. He got me interested in the series, and I think that's about what Sakurai was aiming for.

We all got different tastes, though, and I know how some trailers don't rub all of us the same way. I particularly hated Greninja's trailer with a passion. :p

(And the whole "I can surpass you at this, this, and this, is getting kinda cliched after Palutena and now Shulk)

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Ok seriously...?

Little Mac's trailer started out in Doc's gym. An arcade cabinet thrown in there (Punch Out started in an arcade) and a little training montage a'la Rocky movies. All done in motion-comic style for a more western flavor.

There's a little comical sequence with Samus, and a hint of his special gimmick, the KO Uppercut.

Then we have Little Mac pummeling the Smash Bros. heavies, and being excessibely aggressive in his playstyle that ploughs through anything.

As a Punch Out! fan, I got everything I wanted out of Little Mac's trailer. We even had Doc and Mac eating chocolate bars at the end! + Sandbag, + Samus. :D
Sure I would have made more interactions between Little Mac and Villager, Wiifit, and a reference to Referee Mario. But it was still one of the best trailers out there. But this may be because I'm a huge Punch Out! fan.

All I'm saying is, I am NOT a Xenoblade fan, and Shulk's trailer worked for me. He got me interested in the series, and I think that's about what Sakurai was aiming for.

We all got different tastes, though, and I know how some trailers don't rub all of us the same way. I particularly hated Greninja's trailer with a passion. :p

(And the whole "I can surpass you at this, this, and this, is getting kinda cliched after Palutena and now Shulk)
I never said that Mac's trailer was bad.

I was arguing that Mac's trailer was just as good as Shulk's, and Shulk's was real good, but everyone isn't hyped cause they were expecting Shulk from the leak. but overall, both the Mac trailer and Shulk trailer are really good.

Niala

Smash Ace
I'm sure somebody has already made this joke, but...

#MonadoFriday

Nice thing to wake up to, though.

EDIT: Question, who's that guy in the background of Shulk's main artwork on the website? Never played Xenoblade, so I don't have a clue.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I never said that Mac's trailer was bad.

I was arguing that Mac's trailer was just as good as Shulk's, and Shulk's was real good, but everyone isn't hyped cause they were expecting Shulk from the leak. but overall, both the Mac trailer and Shulk trailer are really good.
Ah, oh, I see, my bad. :D
Yeah, I still love a good trailer, wether the character was a surprise or not.

---------------------------------------

On another note.

I seriously can't wait for that Duck Hunt trailer!
And something's gotten me worried... MUSIC. Music in Duck Hunt is extremely short. I'm sure they'll pull a Mach Rider on them, but at least Mach Rider has a theme song throughout the gameplay.
Duck Hunt has tibbids:
-Game title
-Game intro
-Duck retrieved!
-Round over
-Perfect!
-You lose / Game over
-Clay Shooter intro.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

On another note.

And something's gotten me worried... MUSIC. Music in Duck Hunt is extremely short. I'm sure they'll pull a Mach Rider on them, but at least Mach Rider has a theme song throughout the gameplay.
Duck Hunt has tibbids:
-Game title
-Game intro
-Duck retrieved!
-Round over
-Perfect!
-You lose / Game over
-Clay Shooter intro.
they could always pull out a flat zone.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

On another note.

Duck Hunt has tibbids:
-Game title
-Game intro
-Duck retrieved!
-Round over
-Perfect!
-You lose / Game over
-Clay Shooter intro.
I don't think we're getting a Duck Hunt trailer, I think Duck Hunt will be secret.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Oh man. . .a trailer of retros in a debut trailer for Smash?!

Let's just imagine a daydream of you the viewer, watching your screen & watching the Smash symbol cross out & enter the flames. And you imagine not only Duck Hunt Dog, not only G&W, maybe not even only R.O.B, but Mach Rider & Ice Climbers teased to be in the game as well.

Take that in for a moment. This may seem TOO GOOD to be real, but it could be good to daydream about.:shades:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hey, did anyone noticed they've uploaded some new stuff to the site?

There's this promo where if you register SSB 3DS/WiiU you get the soundtracks to the games!

They've also added Assist Trophy characters, and Pokeball pokemon to the sight.

Sorry if it isn't news to anybody else, but it is to me. Especially the soundtrack part is so much HYPE! Talk about rewards!

Oh man. . .a trailer of retros in a debut trailer for Smash?!

Let's just imagine a daydream of you the viewer, watching your screen & watching the Smash symbol cross out & enter the flames. And you imagine not only Duck Hunt Dog, not only G&W, maybe not even only R.O.B, but Mach Rider & Ice Climbers teased to be in the game as well.

Take that in for a moment. This may seem TOO GOOD to be real, but it could be good to daydream about.:shades:
I wish I could like this post more than once. I seriously want this to happen!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm sure somebody has already made this joke, but...

#MonadoFriday

Nice thing to wake up to, though.

EDIT: Question, who's that guy in the background of Shulk's main artwork on the website? Never played Xenoblade, so I don't have a clue.
#fRikiFriday? ... But anyway, I personally enjoyed the trailer, regardless of the leak. Good to know he's not too much like any fire emblem characters like some feared he might be. The similarities are there, but he's also very different from them in some ways. #NowIt'sShulkTime

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

*Edited after Spazzy's like*

EDIT: So guys, how many more sword characters do you think we may get, none? one? perhaps two if DP plays almost exactly like Pit does??. .

So guys, how many more counterattacks do you think we'll see characters use / have from any newcomers?
We have seen A LOT of counters this go around. Little Mac, Palutena (it's even her default), Greninja, Shulk, and Lucina are all newcomers with counter.

I think that this might be it for sword users, although Isaac makes a lot of sense as DLC. Dark Pit appears to be using his staff, so I don't think he will count.

So one more, maybe. Unless they go crazy with DLC and we get Roy back or something like that. Sticking with just Isaac, though.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The only other sword user I can imagine making it is Isaac, and frankly, Isaac would mostly being a mage using Psynergy anyway. I'd imagine he'd barely have any sword attacks at all, and he definitely would NOT use Counter. Isaac would have no reason to use any sort of counter whatsoever.

Niala

Smash Ace
So I'm just gonna spew out some nonsense here just to collect my thoughts.

Revealing Shulk confirms the legitimacy of the video leaks, but the picture is still in question imo. If it IS real, it seems really strange that the last two newcomers to be addressed would be Duck Hunt Dog and Bowser Jr. They're not exactly the most hype characters to reveal they could have picked. It makes me wonder if they'll even reveal them before the Japanese release at all.

EDIT: oh also lookat this:

"Fairy Bottle
Picking up this item will heal 100 points of damage for a player--as long as the player was already over 100%. If a player doesn't have enough damage, the Fairy Bottle has no effect, so the item's usefulness depends greatly on the situation."

I thought it was a glitch during the E3 demo that the Fairy Bottle didn't work, but apparently it was intended as such.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The only other sword user I can imagine making it is Isaac, and frankly, Isaac would mostly being a mage using Psynergy anyway. I'd imagine he'd barely have any sword attacks at all, and he definitely would NOT use Counter. Isaac would have no reason to use any sort of counter whatsoever.
I agree, there is no counter move from Isaac, in any shape or form. Skilled hand to hand and sword fighters tend to have this, but Isaac is a LOT more Psyenergy based than anything else.

I can see him having regular short ranged sword attacks for a jab and an aerial spin, but Psyenergy for Tilts, and Aerials, and Djinni for Smash Attacks. Summons for Final Smash.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I would think all of Isaac's weak and tilt attacks would be sword based, but his specials and likely his smashes would not be.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Hey, did anyone noticed they've uploaded some new stuff to the site?

There's this promo where if you register SSB 3DS/WiiU you get the soundtracks to the games!

They've also added Assist Trophy characters, and Pokeball pokemon to the sight.

Sorry if it isn't news to anybody else, but it is to me. Especially the soundtrack part is so much HYPE! Talk about rewards!

I wish I could like this post more than once. I seriously want this to happen!
Huh. Didn't notice they put up all the pokemon there on the side. I went to Serebii for the pokeball summon news / additions. I dig that they keep the music list up to date as well. It's sort of news to me!

And I wish I could like your response to the max more. SmashBoards needs a spammable Thumbs Up icon instead of Like? How about Love Like & Reply?:shades:
We have seen A LOT of counters this go around. Little Mac, Palutena (it's even her default), Greninja, Shulk, and Lucina are all newcomers with counter.

I think that this might be it for sword users, although Isaac makes a lot of sense as DLC. Dark Pit appears to be using his staff, so I don't think he will count.

So one more, maybe. Unless they go crazy with DLC and we get Roy back or something like that. Sticking with just Isaac, though.
As far as balancing the roster, I can see why DownB Counterattacks are more often seen so much. It's sort of redundant in my eyes to see more than a few characters get a counterattack, yet the counter-measure is their counters are all different in their own way of proc'ing & animations. So I see maybe one if not two more Counterattacks through anymore newcomers.
Swordfighters though I'll have to say probably one or no more except a hidden character as a curveball kudos by Sakurai. DLC months to pass would probably have more sword fighters no doubt.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
What I wonder is how do you do a custom move that involves 5 different stat changes.

the8thark

Smash Lord
On another note.

Play this track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqmDorNI0yw&list=PLEOQ0YA_1DWnWsRuaCYzr6M0cZjtP5Ppg&index=7
From the 30 second mark. That's in Mach Rider but was not featured in Brawl at all. I'm surprised that little part was not in Brawl. I remember that from the 80's when I played Mach Rider as a little kid.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So I'm just gonna spew out some nonsense here just to collect my thoughts.

Revealing Shulk confirms the legitimacy of the video leaks, but the picture is still in question imo. If it IS real, it seems really strange that the last two newcomers to be addressed would be Duck Hunt Dog and Bowser Jr. They're not exactly the most hype characters to reveal they could have picked. It makes me wonder if they'll even reveal them before the Japanese release at all.

EDIT: oh also lookat this:

"Fairy Bottle
Picking up this item will heal 100 points of damage for a player--as long as the player was already over 100%. If a player doesn't have enough damage, the Fairy Bottle has no effect, so the item's usefulness depends greatly on the situation."

I thought it was a glitch during the E3 demo that the Fairy Bottle didn't work, but apparently it was intended as such.
Oh, I fully agree. They are most likely secret characters in the game and won't be announced before release. Shulk was the only leaked character who really made sense to announce before release.

I would think all of Isaac's weak and tilt attacks would be sword based, but his specials and likely his smashes would not be.
I still think Isaac has enough Psynergy to cover just about everything. He can use his sword for a few attacks, but overall, Psynergy would be his focus. Several of his aerials can use Psynergy and all of his Smashes.

One commonly suggested option for Isaac, to make him even more unique, is to give him Djinn for his specials rather than Psynergy. Again, he's got more than enough different types of Psynergy for a full moveset without using a sword at all (but he SHOULD use a sword for a few attacks). I'd actually bet on Isaac using his sword with both hands, as that's how he attacks in the Golden Sun games, which is also different from most sword fights in Smash.

I still think Isaac's chances look great, still more deconfirmations without any signs of Isaac's AT at all, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much.

Niala

Smash Ace
What I wonder is how do you do a custom move that involves 5 different stat changes.
I'm curious about this as well. My first thought was it was the Specials (where using one has an effect and also changes the sword type), but there are only 4 unless Sakurai decided to differentiate the side specials in this case. It also like that would be wonky, imagine having to UpB everytime you wanted better launch power. It seems redundant, so I dropped it.

The other thing is it could just be a NeutB move that cycles through them, but that doesn't allow the player to choose which one he wants at any specific time. I'm still quite unsure about how it works, but it looks like a lot of micromanagement which is fun imo.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So true. This makes me feel Sakurai must put out an article interview to elaborate on Shulk's game-play & custom specials 100%.
I wonder how they will hype up the Wii U version, considering the roster will be the same between the versions?
Technically the WiiU has been getting hype from all of the Trailers revealed, since they all have mostly WiiU game-play in them. I wanna claim that the 3DS & the WiiU may perhaps have one super secret character for each system, but that's too petty.
The other thing is it could just be a NeutB move that cycles through them, but that doesn't allow the player to choose which one he wants at any specific time. I'm still quite unsure about how it works, but it looks like a lot of micromanagement which is fun imo.
This is what I thought of too. A neutral special that cycles through all his arts that you have to choose from timing to get the right arts mode you need for whatever desire, altering his overall specials to be a similar case to Palutena but instead through active changes outright in mid-fight. Custom specials though. . .I don't know about that one.

EDIT: The micromanaging of his arts can be done too due to changes like Olimar's pikmin always plucked in a certain order of colors pulled out. List in order according to the trailer:
  1. Monado Jump
  2. Monado Speed
  3. Monado Shield / Guard
  4. Monado Buster
  5. Monado Smash

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Oh, I fully agree. They are most likely secret characters in the game and won't be announced before release. Shulk was the only leaked character who really made sense to announce before release.

I still think Isaac has enough Psynergy to cover just about everything. He can use his sword for a few attacks, but overall, Psynergy would be his focus. Several of his aerials can use Psynergy and all of his Smashes.

One commonly suggested option for Isaac, to make him even more unique, is to give him Djinn for his specials rather than Psynergy. Again, he's got more than enough different types of Psynergy for a full moveset without using a sword at all (but he SHOULD use a sword for a few attacks). I'd actually bet on Isaac using his sword with both hands, as that's how he attacks in the Golden Sun games, which is also different from most sword fights in Smash.

I still think Isaac's chances look great, still more deconfirmations without any signs of Isaac's AT at all, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much.
Shulk has shown that stat changes can be a part of a characters moveset. It's something that I think could suit Isaac but would likely infringe one Shulk's main gimmick at the moment.

I still think Isaac's tilts would be sword based, but who really knows. I definitely agree with the ariels being psynergy based.

I think Isaac and Mewtwo are perfect for DLC candidates and would bet on the two of them before anyone else.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Shulk has shown that stat changes can be a part of a characters moveset. It's something that I think could suit Isaac but would likely infringe one Shulk's main gimmick at the moment.

I still think Isaac's tilts would be sword based, but who really knows. I definitely agree with the ariels being psynergy based.

I think Isaac and Mewtwo are perfect for DLC candidates and would bet on the two of them before anyone else.
If Isaac isn't in the game already, which is still possible. As far as stat changing goes, I didn't mean anything like that. My idea was that one of Isaac's standard attacks performs a summon based on how many Djinn Isaac has currently used. Isaac's Djinn wouldn't affect his stats, though using the Djinn would cut down the damage dealt from that single special.

Isaac could go a number of ways. He could use just Venus Djinn and Psynergy (probably the best bet), or he could use multiple types of Djinn/Psynergy. If he just uses Venus, I'd imagine Isaac has three Djinn specials, and one that takes the already used Djinn and deals a powerful attack based on how many of the three Djinn are used. Now, Djinn in Golden Sun do change stats, but Isaac doesn't necessarily need to do that.

...and even if he did, it'd work completely different from Shulk's, anyway. Shulk's Monado Arts change his stats individually, but all Isaac using Djinn would do is decrease his stats after the Djinn are used. It'd actually be closer to Robin than Shulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom