• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Since when? We know you're a fanboy, but I really don't think we are even gonna get a new Zelda character this time. If all of the three most popular requests are denied as AT, then I can see Impa falling into it just to troll us again

...and before you ask, if Impa suddenly made it as a alt attire for Sheik, I won't be complaining about that. Gives us more chances for Vaati

VAATI FOR SMASH!!!
Who were the three that got AT'd that were most popular Tingle, Skull Kid, and Girradelli chocolates? Tingle makes sense because he is hated by pretty much the entire western fanbase, Skull Kid is awesome but not thaaaat popular (I'm a SD supporter though, dont get me wrong, though girradelli kind of makes me agree with you, I still think one more is possible and I'd say Impa is the most likely one left

Maxilian

Smash Ace
@Diddy Kong Count me out from the 'upset people' category. I'm decent about her inclusion.

@ CrusherMania1592 CrusherMania1592 the Impa alternate costume for Sheik is not bad, it'd be do-able for me.
I'm with you here, i would have been in the upset people category but now that Ghirahim is an AT... I'm ok with Impa (i prefer Vaati, but i feel that Impa have a better chance)

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Who were the three that got AT'd that were most popular Tingle, Skull Kid, and Girradelli chocolates? Tingle makes sense because he is hated by pretty much the entire western fanbase, Skull Kid is awesome but not thaaaat popular (I'm a SD supporter though, dont get me wrong, though girradelli kind of makes me agree with you, I still think one more is possible and I'd say Impa is the most likely one left
Make that four since Midna was who I was talking about (didn't really count Tingle on this)

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Make that four since Midna was who I was talking about (didn't really count Tingle on this)
Ahh right, I forgot about Midna, I never really considered her a likely candidate, I don't recall her fanbase being anything more than a niche group, her AT status does not lower anyone's chances in my opinion

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
The most interesting thing we got today is Meta Knight's banner is gone, and that usually means there's a new character incoming.
I new character was "coming" for several weeks last time that happened. Not falling for that **** again. :p

I do, however, think Ness (or less likely, Lucas) is coming on Wednesday.

can't wait for the next character reveal, because then we'll know whether the leak was fake or not due to the renders!
Hold your horses, seeing one fake render doesn't automatically make them all fake. It's very possible that there is legitimate info among false info here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The most interesting thing we got today is Meta Knight's banner is gone, and that usually means there's a new character incoming.
Falcon, Lucina, and Robin's banners were removed and then there was a gap of at least 3 weeks before Meta Knight's reveal. It means nothing.

saggernaut724

Smash Rookie
NNID
sagwinsl
3DS FC
4785-6664-3260
From what I've noticed, when they update information on the site, they remove the banners.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I'm currently bored at school, so I'll shoot a question to anyone who feels like answering.
It appears that after Ghirahim's unsurprising disconfirmation yesterday, people are now banking more on Impa having a shot at becoming playable. I'm curious as to anything that people can tell me that they think helps her chances.
This is the list of what I know people tell others regarding Impa's chances at playability:

1: Fi Trophy.
2: Skyward Sword content.
3: Impa's presence in the Zelda franchise.

Am I missing anything?

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I'm currently bored at school, so I'll shoot a question to anyone who feels like answering.
It appears that after Ghirahim's unsurprising disconfirmation yesterday, people are now banking more on Impa having a shot at becoming playable. I'm curious as to anything that people can tell me that they think helps her chances.
This is the list of what I know people tell others regarding Impa's chances at playability:

Am I missing anything?
Wel I don't believe in the trophy theory, my belief lies in the fact that I think we're gonna get somebody new since Sakurai seems to like expanding on his powerhouse franchises with at least on newcomer (and the fact that Mario may be getting 2) as well I believe in the leak which gives some evidence towards another Zelda character and Impa is the most likely now that giradelli is out, mostly due to Skyward Sword and their inability to reference it any other way characterwise (everyone still has their dreadful TP designs)

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman

Am I missing anything?
You got it. Because #3 covers a lot and most of the evidence as why he is the most likely .

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This is my prediction roster based on sakurai saying this will be the best character game ever made and keeping up with fan expectations along with trying not to hurt the fans. If he is a man of his word I expect the roster to look something like this...

Green/Teal are unlockable.

P.S. I do think the leak is real and that it is 60-70 percent of the roster.

Im gonna try and keep faith in sakurai.

Also Bowser Jr. would be placed by bowser I just forgot.

This IMO is the best case scenario and would prove that Sakurai is truly the best of the best.

Easiest to unlock is jiggilypuff, hardest to unlock is Snake imo.

The Big 3 would be imo some of the hardest to unlock.

59 total, 62 if you include the mii fighters separately.

Looks like you just took the leak and added the ones you wanted based on your own idea of what makes up the best characters.
And while I disagree with you on what those are to a degree, I agree with you on that process.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering... Do you think that the reason of making Lucina and Dr. Mario separate characters in spite of alt, was to make Dark Pit accepted ?

My reasoning : It seems like Dark Pit was the first one to be considered a separate character (from Palutena's trailer). And as we know, Lucina was only changed from alt to separate character during the development. Maybe if Dark Pit was the only clone, this would have led to the "Sakurai's bias" argument.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Am I missing anything?
For me, it would be:

That if clone theory is real, and it suggests two characters each, then it suggests a newcomer and a clone each, and Impa, well...
Just because I truly don't see Sakurai deciding to specifically add 3 Ninja's as independent characters in one game, given all he has said. I also, however, do not think Impa is that likely, because of Greninja, unless she is a Sheik clone. Yet we were told no clones were likely unless they were upgraded costumes, and those would be weird to promote in a trophy theory.

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
Here's what I stand on whether a new Zelda character: We probably won't get one, but if it does happen I won't be surprised. Both Impa and Vaati have great reasons for and against Smash Bros. Both have a long history with the series and have had some importance in the franchise. Both are fan favorites in the Zelda fandom, but that didn't make Midna or Skull Kid playable. Impa has the advantage of Hyrule Warriors, but how far has Sakurai gone in terms of future games? Greninja is proof he does look at games that are still in development at the time in terms of characters, but at the same time there's been little content shown of the likes of Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, or Tropical Freeze. Of course they might all have some form of representation, whether a stage or trophy, but how far was Smash in development at the time Hyrule Warriors started? Why bring up Hyrule Warriors? Well, if Impa was in, would she be any different from Sheik? Both are of the Sheikah tribe and most, if not all of Sheik's moves were made up for the game. My fear is that Impa could very well be a Sheik clone. I don't mind clones, but I know many that do, and Ganondork already gets a lot of hate for being a clone of Cpt. Falcon. And Impa of course has plenty of inconsistent designs already, as an old woman, a slender woman, a busty woman, it goes on. And seeing as how the character designs of Link and Zelda seem to be a more general look to all of the franchise, what would Impa have? But I could be wrong. Maybe Impa will have a unique moveset. Maybe there's a general design going on that's based more on Skyward Sword. Maybe Hyrule Warriors was made at the same time, so relavency and even influence will help her?

And Vaati, true he's a recurring villain. True, he's popular with the Zelda community. True he's unique enough with his Wind Mage status to get a strong moveset. But in terms of Zelda villain characters, is Vaati really the first or even second one you can think of? Meanwhile, Four Swords Adventures and Minish Cap are two of the lowest-selling games in the series. Yeah there was the 3DS rerelease, but if rereleases factored in, shouldn't we be getting Tetra or Tingle as well? Now could Vaati get in? Of course. It's my belief that any Nintendo character is able to get into Smash Bros. whether it be Mario or Goomba. But as of now...no.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Falcon, Lucina, and Robin's banners were removed and then there was a gap of at least 3 weeks before Meta Knight's reveal. It means nothing.
To be fair, if there's a gap of 3 weeks this time we won't be getting any more character reveals.

It probably doesn't mean anything, I'm expecting a character reveal here soon anyway.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Looks like you just took the leak and added the ones you wanted based on your own idea of what makes up the best characters.
And while I disagree with you on what those are to a degree, I agree with you on that process.
I actually left out several I want, I did this based on what people want/expect combined with hints and leaks. (Otherwise I'd add Krystal but hell I'll be lucky to get wolf back apparently..)

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I was wondering... Do you think that the reason of making Lucina and Dr. Mario separate characters in spite of alt, was to make Dark Pit accepted ?

My reasoning : It seems like Dark Pit was the first one to be considered a separate character (from Palutena's trailer). And as we know, Lucina was only changed from alt to separate character during the development. Maybe if Dark Pit was the only clone, this would have led to the "Sakurai's bias" argument.
That's a very likely possibility. The patter was bias in 64, no bias in Melee, extreme bias in Brawl, so there would have to be no bias in Smash 4.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace

This is my somewhat-optimistic prediction roster. This is not my wanted roster.

King K. Rool: He's a new DK representative and he's a villain. We need both.
Mewtwo: Highly requested all over the world. He has had a recent movie and 2 mega evolution, making him relevant.
Ridley: He's a new Metroid representative and he's a villain. We need both.
Marshal: Rhythm Heaven has gotten some attention over the past few years, and I think it's time to see a RH character in Smash.
Captain Rainbow: He's the Little Mac of Japan. Highly requested and popular over there, not so much here.
Shulk: Highly requested everywhere. Can be an incredibly unique swordsman.

If you don't like Captain Rainbow, replace him with anyone else (Krystal, Dark Pit, Bandana Dee, Vaati, Dixie Kong, Duck Hunt Dog)

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601

Pretty solid roster. Only odd choice is Captain Rainbow, but he would be fantastic! But, the organization is really weird. I was getting ready to slaughter you cause I couldn't find the MOTHER characters. :p

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889

King K. Rool: He's a new DK representative and he's a villain. We need both.
Mewtwo: Highly requested all over the world. He has had a recent movie and 2 mega evolution, making him relevant.
Ridley: He's a new Metroid representative and he's a villain. We need both.
Marshal: Rhythm Heaven has gotten some attention over the past few years, and I think it's time to see a RH character in Smash.
Captain Rainbow: He's the Little Mac of Japan. Highly requested and popular over there, not so much here.
Shulk: Highly requested everywhere. Can be an incredibly unique swordsman.

If you don't like Captain Rainbow, replace him with anyone else (Krystal, Dark Pit, Bandana Dee, Vaati, Dixie Kong, Duck Hunt Dog)
Captain rainbow, make it happen soccer eye. I do like the inclusion of captain rainbow, you have shulk, mewtwo Ridley and k rool, 9/10 would play

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Wel I don't believe in the trophy theory, my belief lies in the fact that I think we're gonna get somebody new since Sakurai seems to like expanding on his powerhouse franchises with at least on newcomer (and the fact that Mario may be getting 2) as well I believe in the leak which gives some evidence towards another Zelda character and Impa is the most likely now that giradelli is out, mostly due to Skyward Sword and their inability to reference it any other way characterwise (everyone still has their dreadful TP designs)
I believe we'll get another Zelda character as well, but those points alone are not enough for me to believe that Impa is our most likely candidate. Especially when the first point is still very much a supposition while the second point can just be attributed to updating the Zelda representation outside of the playable characters just like many aspects of Zelda were updated in Brawl when Twilight Princess was still new. Meanwhile I have many reasons to believe that our Zelda newcomer happens to be somebody else due to finding in game hints, knowing the character has a certain precedent in Smash, and just seems more logical overall than Impa does at this point in time. I guess we'll all get our answers soon enough.

For me, it would be:

That if clone theory is real, and it suggests two characters each, then it suggests a newcomer and a clone each, and Impa, well...
Just because I truly don't see Sakurai deciding to specifically add 3 Ninja's as independent characters in one game, given all he has said. I also, however, do not think Impa is that likely, because of Greninja, unless she is a Sheik clone. Yet we were told no clones were likely unless they were upgraded costumes, and those would be weird to promote in a trophy theory.
Can you explain the clone theory in more detail for me please? Is it the one that suggests that the trophy theory hints at two characters per franchise, one being a clone? Because if it is, that sounds just a little quite far fetched to me.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I noticed something about the music section. They have... interesting composers. They have the guy who did the MGS4 music, as well as the guy who did Xenoblade music. Theres other ones as well, although I dont think they really matter as much.

You have probably all seen this by now, but id just like to point out this bodes well for Shulk, but moreso Snake I suppose.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I noticed something about the music section. They have... interesting composers. They have the guy who did the MGS4 music, as well as the guy who did Xenoblade music. Theres other ones as well, although I dont think they really matter as much.

You have probably all seen this by now, but id just like to point out this bodes well for Shulk, but moreso Snake I suppose.
It doesn't say that the game is having music from those games, just that the composers of the music from those games will be composing the music for Smash 4. It means nothing in terms of characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
It doesn't say that the game is having music from those games, just that the composers of the music from those games will be composing the music for Smash 4. It means nothing in terms of characters.
Ya I know, but when the guy who did the music for MGS4 is doing music for a smash bros game, something is up. Im not saying "Snake confirmed," it's just something to keep in mind.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I believe we'll get another Zelda character as well, but those points alone are not enough for me to believe that Impa is our most likely candidate. Especially when the first point is still very much a supposition while the second point can just be attributed to updating the Zelda representation outside of the playable characters just like many aspects of Zelda were updated in Brawl when Twilight Princess was still new. Meanwhile I have many reasons to believe that our Zelda newcomer happens to be somebody else due to finding in game hints, knowing the character has a certain precedent in Smash, and just seems more logical overall than Impa does at this point in time. I guess we'll all get our answers soon enough.

Can you explain the clone theory in more detail for me please? Is it the one that suggests that the trophy theory hints at two characters per franchise, one being a clone? Because if it is, that sounds just a little quite far fetched to me.
Who's the one you think is in? Toon Zelda? I don't think any of the remaining Zelda reps have enough for or against them to make them any more likely than one another. Hell, it could be Ravio for all we know. I just picked Impa because of the leak

@ NickerBocker NickerBocker

They also have composers from One Piece and final fantasy, I don't know if they mean anything at all to be honest

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't think trophy theory correlates to two characters. My point is that it could potentially (one clone/other and one newcomer), and that this is the only way I see it working Impa's favor. So far we have had which characters work for trophy theory?
Fire Emblem- Lucina and Robin
Metroid- ZSS separation; Riddles
Zelda-Impa as clone, Vaati? Someone else? Who knows.
Kid Icarus- Palutena (and a possible clone in either Dark Pit, or, I'm hoping, Medusa)

*Also of note, I find it pretty... ironic, this statement so many have that Zelda trophy = Skyward Sword simply because the content used was from the most recent game.*

Yet, I do not think it helps Impa, because I don't think it is likely Impa is an original character. I do not believe Greninja was added at face value, no, but it is clear he was not added for much more, sure, than being a water Ninja. We have Sheik. Impa, a fan favorite (and someone I want), is on the verge of redundancy, even if she has the potential for being unique. It has nothing to do with potential at all.

Sakurai has claimed in the past to want to represent series well, overall. He has even, in the past, commented that adding Robin was a move for Fire Emblem, because
Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!
(and this is just the most concise, I may add; he has said many things like it before)
So I must as, do Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, and Impa, do this for Zelda? Does Impa possess skills and characters unlike any other fighter, and capture an essence of the Zelda series, making its representation perfect?
...not really. From an unbias opinion, she doesn't. If we look at Impa as an upgraded costume, perhaps.... but not as an original character.

And I think this could be why costume characters could be separated from the rest of the other characters, if this is the case, to remind us visually they are not part of the party entourage of the rest, they don't represent the series, they are in fact, bonus. Because Sakurai DOES IN FACT ACKNOWLEDGE THE IMPORTANCE OF SERIES' REPRESENTATION by number.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ya I know, but when the guy who did the music for MGS4 is doing music for a smash bros game, something is up. Im not saying "Snake confirmed," it's just something to keep in mind.
Again; it means nothing. That person could have been brought in to compose music for the Yoshi stage. We have no idea what they are going to be doing. They just simply composed some of the music for Metal Gear Solid 4. There is nothing to keep in mind. It doesn't mean anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Again; it means nothing. That person could have been brought in to compose music for the Yoshi stage. We have no idea what they are going to be doing. They just simply composed some of the music for Metal Gear Solid 4. There is nothing to keep in mind. It doesn't mean anything.
It very clearly could mean something. It does not inherently guarantee us that it does, but to outright declare it as meaningless is a clear indication of ignorance.
We get tons of musical arrangements that are taken from works from games past.
Majority of the music comes from stages we see represented.
Composers listed are not going to be reorchestrating work for completely unrelated series.

The fact that the music list was also posted so late this time (versus on the dojo) is also a possible indication that, because it was a pretty big indication for Brawl as to what would be included, it could be a big hint as to what we will get.

It is nearly as big of a hint as saying which development team (second party or so) is involved. It does not confirm any character, but it gives a direct link as to why it would be easily evident.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman

Am I missing anything?
Impa has appeared more than Vaati, so if we do get a character, just based on presence from a franchise, then we'll get Impa.

Here is my personal top 3 Zelda characters than stand a chance at becoming playable
1. Impa
2. Vaati
3. Yuga (most recent villain, from the most recent Zelda game)

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Who's the one you think is in? Toon Zelda? I don't think any of the remaining Zelda reps have enough for or against them to make them any more likely than one another. Hell, it could be Ravio for all we know. I just picked Impa because of the leak
Ghirahim had enough going against him that I was completely confident that he wouldn't be playable, despite him being the most popular choice. I think it's very possible to ascertain who is the most and least likely to be on the roster if you analyze everything close enough, have a pragmatic sense of reasoning as to how they choose characters to be playable, and consider all of the facts. Also if it wasn't Ghirahim, I would bet my bank account it's most certainly not Ravio. :smirk:
Like I said though, we'll know everyone's fate soon enough.

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
At this point with Midna, Ghirahim, and Skullkid all assist trophies, I am all for Impas inclusion. Any zelda newcomer is welcome in my book. Just differentiate her from sheik and I'm a happy camper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom