• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
I love that idea! B would be a flying duck and whenever you release B the nes player shoots the screen where the duck is! so awesome!

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'm confound by DHD's move-set speculation, it could be DHD using a single or multiple ducks for attack moves. . .DHD pairing up with the said Duck bringing in more "two characters-in-one" styles like Rosaluma / ICs, or @ Arcadenik Arcadenik 's idea.

Though, personally I see DHD as an Assist Trophy than a character. The AT summon would bring out a NPC carrying the NES zapper & DHD appearing adjacent to the NPC hunter, spreading out to attack the other fighters. DHD biting them becoming a command grab so it implements some kind of Smash Brothers mechanic we're familiarized with while the hunter shoots whoever DHD bites onto, or shoots random fighters.

The speculation for DHD is interesting.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
This is my prediction roster based on sakurai saying this will be the best character game ever made and keeping up with fan expectations along with trying not to hurt the fans. If he is a man of his word I expect the roster to look something like this...

Green/Teal are unlockable.

P.S. I do think the leak is real and that it is 60-70 percent of the roster.

Im gonna try and keep faith in sakurai.

Also Bowser Jr. would be placed by bowser I just forgot.

This IMO is the best case scenario and would prove that Sakurai is truly the best of the best.

Easiest to unlock is jiggilypuff, hardest to unlock is Snake imo.

The Big 3 would be imo some of the hardest to unlock.

59 total, 62 if you include the mii fighters separately.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ MagnesD3 MagnesD3 This isn't that important asking, but do I notice teal outlines or are those just mixed in with the dark blue in with the surrounding bright green? And if they are teal & I'm not color-challenged, what's the reason for the teal color similar to green = unlockable.

That said, I dig the roster.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
@ MagnesD3 MagnesD3 This isn't that important asking, but do I notice teal outlines or are those just mixed in with the dark blue in with the surrounding bright green? And if they are teal & I'm not color-challenged, what's the reason for the teal color similar to green = unlockable.

That said, I dig the roster.
Teal is unlockable as well, I think its green and blue are blending... either that or I screwed up.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Teal is unlockable as well, I think its green and blue are blending... either that or I screwed up.
Nah you didn't screw up, it's most likely from the Dark blue & bright green blending. I took another look at your roster & saw a bright green square surrounded by 4 DB colored slots, so teal & bright green are unlockable.

Still dig the roster, I'm still guilty inside for feeling how I do when it comes to veteran forgiveness. 13 returning veterans / fighters from Melee & Brawl plus 17 newcomers seems like a godsend roster prediction. It's one of those "I hope I'm wrong to the max & you're right 110%" scenarios, but I can't help that feeling.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Nah you didn't screw up, it's most likely from the Dark blue & bright green blending. I took another look at your roster & saw a bright green square surrounded by 4 DB colored slots, so teal & bright green are unlockable.

Still dig the roster, I'm still guilty inside for feeling how I do when it comes to veteran forgiveness. 13 returning veterans / fighters from Melee & Brawl plus 17 newcomers seems like a godsend roster prediction. It's one of those "I hope I'm wrong to the max & you're right 110%" scenarios, but I can't help that feeling.
Im scared too, but sakurai has been quoted on saying he doesnt wanna hurt fans, wants to meet fan expectations and he says this is the greatest character game ever made, so im praying, pleading and hoping he knows what he is doing. Its all I can do at this point...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That leaked character select screen has 48 characters.

Smash 64: 12 x 1 = 12
Melee: 12 x 2 = 24 + 1 = 25
Brawl: 12 × 3 = 36 - 1 = 35
SSB4 leaked CSS: 12 x 4 = 48 + 1 = 49 (cannot forget the Mii Fighters)

So, unless there are DLC characters, I doubt we are getting 60 characters in SSB4... maybe in SSB5 (12 x 5 = 60)

MagnesD3

Smash Master

So, unless there are DLC characters, I doubt we are getting 60 characters in SSB4... maybe in SSB5 (12 x 5 = 60)
Well see, its possible but not the likeliest thing. Im hoping getting Namco's help really allows them to go for gold.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Arcadenik Arcadenik The slight issue with the numbers now is Transformations in past rosters that were hidden or all bunched in another fighter's slot are now separated I.e.:zeldamelee::samus2::pt:. Transformations removed being a smart move to make, & basically Sakurai not minding about slots, the character rosters now & in the future will be that much bigger by a slight number. 53 with a random slot is 100% possible now, so based off the leaked CSS there can be 4 more characters to reveal for that, including random:estatic:

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
Are we still talking about this "leak"?

Man, I hope that leak is fake or at least an incomplete list. First cutting the loved veterans Ice Climbers, Wolf, Lucas, Snake, Ivy and Squirtle. (ok, maybe we saw Snake and the pokemon coming) And then not adding in Mewtwo or other major fan characters like K. Rool, Isaac or Ridley. Only too add... Duck Hunt Dog, Doctor Mario, Dark Pit, Lucina and Wii Fit trainer.... No offense to those characters, I like them all, but seriously, having those newcomers over the more requested that didn't make it on to that list seems very wrong to me. I mean, we got some amazing and fan-wanted newcomers otherwise, but I can hardly call this the "best character game ever created" when characters that fans grew to love get shafted over more obscure picks who don't bring anymore to the table than the fan-requested characters.

Just to clarify, I don't have anything against the characters that made it in to this leak. In fact, I like almost all of the characters on this roster. I love Shulk, MegaMan and all the other newcomers this leak has (except Dark Pit). The only returning vet I disagree with is dr.Mario, especially since clones like Lucas and Wolf are cut. I just think it's wrong that this leak has so many vets cut (especially mewtwo and icies) as well as no Rool or Ridley, while duck hunt dog, dark pit and dr. Mario can somehow get in.

I believe this leak is fake, and I hope it is. I will seriously question Sakurai's roster making process if this turns out to be real and the complete roster.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I'm more than sure that Sakurai is capable of making Duck Hunt playable in any number of ways, but I kinda imagine it being the dog is your main playable character while he uses the duck as his weapon/assist. Like, his standards are made up of him swinging the duck like a cudgel, then actually teaming with the duck for specials (like his side special, the duck flies forward quickly, then the dog follows the same trajectory). But I still am having issues really visualizing it/him/them in game. I guess we'll see, one way or the other.

Oh, by the by:

1. Isaac/Matthew (either one, zero preference)
2. Capt. Toad
3. Dixie Kong
4. Ravio
5. Bowser, Jr.
6. Shulk

And that's all I got for people I actively want. Anybody else I can think of is just one of those, "Oh, cool. That'll be fun." As opposed to "YESH, OHMERGERSH, I NEEED IT!!!"

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I'm more than sure that Sakurai is capable of making Duck Hunt playable in any number of ways, but I kinda imagine it being the dog is your main playable character while he uses the duck as his weapon/assist. Like, his standards are made up of him swinging the duck like a cudgel, then actually teaming with the duck for specials (like his side special, the duck flies forward quickly, then the dog follows the same trajectory). But I still am having issues really visualizing it/him/them in game. I guess we'll see, one way or the other.

Oh, by the by:

1. Isaac/Matthew (either one, zero preference)
2. Capt. Toad
3. Dixie Kong
4. Ravio
5. Bowser, Jr.
6. Shulk

And that's all I got for people I actively want. Anybody else I can think of is just one of those, "Oh, cool. That'll be fun." As opposed to "YESH, OHMERGERSH, I NEEED IT!!!"
Imagining that scary looking dog swinging around the carcass of a duck as an attack is terrifying. And kind of gross.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Imagining that scary looking dog swinging around the carcass of a duck as an attack is terrifying. And kind of gross.
Of course, I totally intended for the duck to be alive. Think of the rabbits in Open Season. However, I could see that potentially getting some raised eyebrows by raters.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Your cudgel idea @ Oz37 Oz37 , what if, DHD swung the Duck around by it's neck instead of it's legs, like in the game picking up the ducks after the round shooting them?

Threw that out there because Sakurai/Sora/Banmco are making a lot of references to the character's respected video games. As violent as it looks swinging a duck around by it's neck, I see it, the future is so bright.:shades:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Your cudgel idea @ Oz37 Oz37 , what if, DHD swung the Duck around by it's neck instead of it's legs, like in the game picking up the ducks after the round shooting them?

Threw that out there because Sakurai/Sora/Banmco are making a lot of references to the character's respected video games. As violent as it looks swinging a duck around by it's neck, I see it, the future is so bright.:shades:
That's exactly how I envisioned it, actually. Great minds, my friend. I also want to see his UpB to be him clinging to the duck's feet as the poor thing flaps for all it's worth. Honestly, if they're in, I see them being a hilarious duo (who is really just a single character, don't freak out people).

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Let us hope nothing drastic happens to the dog because a few soft animal rights activists couldn't discern fantasy from reality. Using ducks for smashes and specials is completely appropriate. Only makes more sense if they're dead. I would argue that's actually more humane unlike with Peach and the way she uses Toad as a meat shield. You can him squirming, frightened out of his mind. How's that any better than grabbing a dead duck and using it as a weapon? If anything, I'd call that resourceful.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Just saying, peta will be all over that shiz

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs

Let's not make up patterns. Everyone keeps trying to analyze patterns between each Smash game and it all ends up being a pile of crap.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Oh hi guys wh---

Oh you're still discussing this leak eh? Glad it took me 32 hours to get to my destination and you guys are STILL discussing what is most likely fake leak

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Oh hi guys wh---

Oh you're still discussing this leak eh? Glad it took me 32 hours to get to my destination and you guys are STILL discussing what is most likely fake leak
But, we're speculating DHD's likely move-set. I don't mind changing the topic, but the leak(s) are still a hot topic store so it takes the viewing userse to pitch in & help take the subject off, I'd discuss fighters like K Rool, Sceptile, Black Shadow, etc.

It's mostly people discussing something to kill time really.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
But, we're speculating DHD's likely move-set. I don't mind changing the topic, but the leak(s) are still a hot topic store so it takes the viewing userse to pitch in & help take the subject off, I'd discuss fighters like K Rool, Sceptile, Black Shadow, etc.

It's mostly people discussing something to kill time really.
People who are speculating the dog's moveset should go to the Duck Hunt Dog support thread.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
People who are speculating the dog's moveset should go to the Duck Hunt Dog support thread.
Well damndify. I'd go there but then the moment I join the thread, I'd probably get even more confounded that I was 2 hours ago.:ohwell:
Bummer may horus sorry about that. Thanks for Posting that nonetheless.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
@ MagnesD3 MagnesD3 I want THAT roster, THAT roster! That would be so great to see for me personally, though it's amazing how close to the leak my idea roster would be, I really just want the big three and Shulk. The rest are all just extra cool additions I wanna try out newcomer wise, plus it doesn't go the BS route of making any veteran DLC and instead having them all return from Brawl sans Squirtle and Ivysaur. I don't get why we don't expect more than 50, even if just barely over 50 at this point. Brawl had 39 characters total, and you'd expect around 15 unique newcomers or so with very few cuts, so boom already over 50. Add to that clones like Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Lucina, and the roster is already larger, maybe even pushing towards the 60 mark. I have my doubts Sakurai initially planned such a small upgrade from Brawl in terms of character count. And blah blah leak has 48 so it's true, blah, blah, blah even if I believed a fraction of the leak, I still wouldn't believe that CSS is the entire roster. Obviously the roster is still a little too dreamy even for my optimistic Smash eyes to believe in, but I could easily see around 52-55 of the total characters making the cut.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Lol it's so much more than photoshop, you guys complain without even reading the details.

Anyway, I don't get why people are unsure of what DHD could do yet we have rob who was literally a stationary plastic toy, anything can have a moveser

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Final predictions of the roster
Returning veterans: Wolf, R.O.B, Ice Climbers, Ganondorf, Wario, MGW, Falco, Ness, Puff and Mewtwo
Newcomers: Ridley, Dixie Kong, Dark Pit, Shulk and Chorus Kids
52 characters

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Final predictions of the roster
Returning veterans: Wolf, R.O.B, Ice Climbers, Ganondorf, Wario, MGW, Falco, Ness, Puff and Mewtwo
Newcomers: Ridley, Dixie Kong, Dark Pit, Shulk and Chorus Kids
52 characters
I think cutting lucas is a bit weird, why deprive mother of a slot? Especially since he's soooooo different from ness

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Does anyone think Ganondorf will be confirmed tomorrow? On Wednesday, we saw Link, a Zelda character, in a red tunic. Red is the color associated with the Triforce of Power, which Ganondorf holds. Today, we saw a big Zelda villain as an assist trophy. Hyrule Warriors just came out a week ago in Japan. Hopefully Ganondorf will get confirmed on the website tomorrow with a character image totally different from the one in the stupid leak and the stupid leak will be blasted straight to the moon. I don't think it'd be too early to confirm another veteran after Meta Knight because frankly, there ain't much time left.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
To be honest, I think Lucas didn't deserve the spot in the first place, he is a character from a japan only game that wasn't exactly well received by them, I just don't think Lucas is returning, call it gut feeling
I've heard it was fairly well received and combined with the extreme fan demand for it worldwide, I think that's enough for him to return, especially since he'd be fairly easy to make and offers an alternate playstyle to ness, which is kinda the idea of clones

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
WIth those rumors about Lucas replacing Ness in Melee & then keeping them both in Brawl while not appearing in any recent game appearance beside Brawl in 2008, it doesn't look good for either of them. Albeit Ness & Lucas could both return. That's a mystery.

Update: I have more faith in Jigglypuff returning now.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I've heard it was fairly well received and combined with the extreme fan demand for it worldwide, I think that's enough for him to return, especially since he'd be fairly easy to make and offers an alternate playstyle to ness, which is kinda the idea of clones
I heard it was mixed received, the game would probably sell bad in my opinion, I don't think Lucas is going to return but that's just me

MagnesD3

Smash Master
@ MagnesD3 MagnesD3 I want THAT roster, THAT roster! That would be so great to see for me personally, though it's amazing how close to the leak my idea roster would be, I really just want the big three and Shulk. The rest are all just extra cool additions I wanna try out newcomer wise, plus it doesn't go the BS route of making any veteran DLC and instead having them all return from Brawl sans Squirtle and Ivysaur. I don't get why we don't expect more than 50, even if just barely over 50 at this point. Brawl had 39 characters total, and you'd expect around 15 unique newcomers or so with very few cuts, so boom already over 50. Add to that clones like Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Lucina, and the roster is already larger, maybe even pushing towards the 60 mark. I have my doubts Sakurai initially planned such a small upgrade from Brawl in terms of character count. And blah blah leak has 48 so it's true, blah, blah, blah even if I believed a fraction of the leak, I still wouldn't believe that CSS is the entire roster. Obviously the roster is still a little too dreamy even for my optimistic Smash eyes to believe in, but I could easily see around 52-55 of the total characters making the cut.
Its possible, sakurai said that he thinks this will be the BEST character game ever, but who knows...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom