• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Or some of the newcomers shown will be secrets. Having Marth, Ike, AND Chrom on the starting roster would be a bit much. Likewise, Mario, Peach, Bowser, AND Rosalina seems too much.
This is pretty much why I've been stating that not all confirmed newcomers will get the starter treatment.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I'm actually thinking that everyone may get the starter treatment, and that there will be no more unlockables. It would be quite irritating to have to unlock every character twice, especially without an easy unlock mode like SSE.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
It's going to be mini-Kraid on Monday. Sakurai told me. Then he did his patented troll laugh which sounds like this:

"Trollololololololololol.... lol."

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Japan was negative towards Palutena...?

I thought they loved her the most.
People started cursing/criticizing him out right after the direct for being biased

He then made a general tweet saying along the lines of: "I don't know why there's so much negativity towards me now"

He got likes and retweets, probably one of the most from his posts. Most of the people that replied were Americans that didn't know any better of the meaning of his tweet saying the direct was awesome. The nipponese tried to explain to him why. Regardless, he didn't answer anyone back

I'm pretty sure he knows why. The people in Japan took wind of the roster leak from salromano; and there's a lot of mixed feelings about it. Many of them are questioning why should they buy the console version with a roster like that when they can buy the handheld version instead.

They liked smash run and amiibos the most. That's pretty much it. Don't get me wrong, SSB4 will sell well on the console version, but the 3DS will out-do it by a whole league. From what I've been seeing at least of their opinions

Edit: I hate typing on the go, good lord

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
People started cursing/criticizing him out right after the direct for being biased

He then made a general tweet saying along the lines of: "I don't know why there's so much negativity towards me now"

He got likes and retweets, probably one of the most from his posts. Most of the people that replied were Americans that didn't know any better of the meaning of his tweet saying the direct was awesome. The nipponese tried to explain to him why. Regardless, he didn't answer anyone back

I'm pretty sure he knows why. The people in Japan took wind of the roster leak from salromano; and there's a lot of mixed feelings about it. Many of them are questioning why should they buy the console version with a roster like that when they can buy the handheld version instead.

They liked smash run and amiibos the most. That's pretty much it. Don't get me wrong, SSB4 will sell well on the console version, but the 3DS will out-do it by a whole league. From what I've been seeing at least of their opinions

I'll take your word on it, but would you happen to have a source?

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa

But isn't Japan mainly a Handheld country these days anyway every time i look at there charts its 3ds and Vita on top followed by the Wii u or ps4.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
I'm actually thinking that everyone may get the starter treatment, and that there will be no more unlockables. It would be quite irritating to have to unlock every character twice, especially without an easy unlock mode like SSE.
Interesting point. At the very least, the Wii U version may do away with unlockable characters/stages. Perhaps a kind of communication between 3DS and Wii U unit.

Ugh. UGH. I feel so absolutely sorry that he goes through crap like this. You make something to be enjoyed, and people bash it differently depending on whose side they're on. What nonsense. Let's hope his hide of an elephant keeps true. Character choices aren't objectively bad decisions(tripping was, sorry Sakurai, but I've gotta call you on that).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Sakurai is near the bottom of the newcomers, meaning that we should only expect characters mentioned by Sal (Chrom, Shulk, and CM). Any other character that isn't on the list will be nothing but DLC in the long run if what he said was true.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Sakurai is near the bottom of the newcomers, meaning that we should only expect characters mentioned by Sal (Chrom, Shulk, and CM). Any other character that isn't on the list will be nothing but DLC in the long run if what he said was true.
Or MAYBE a secret character.

And hopefully Mewtwo is considered a veteran.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Or MAYBE a secret character.

And hopefully Mewtwo is considered a veteran.
I would think you'd want him considered a newcomer for two reasons:

- He may be revealed on Monday.
- He shatters Gematsu-Only cleanly, and upsets roster counts.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
That does not mean that in the slightest.... :facepalm:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I'd expect secret newcomers to not have trailers, given if there are any.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It lines up with the numbers perfectly well. Time's nearly up.
A vague, general statement can't line up with numbers. Only your individual interpretation can. You can't claim to know the exact number of newcomers left based on this statement alone.

Also, is this statement about reaching the bottom of the stash really anything we didn't already know? Did anyone honestly think we'd get that many more newcomers? I think we all knew that we had already seen the majority of the newcomers. We already knew they were reaching the bottom of the stash. This update is nothing we didn't already know.

Morbi

Scavenger
It lines up with the numbers perfectly well. Time's nearly up.
Oh really? Show me this non-existent math, what are the numbers precisely? Source please! Ah, I see... Sakurai said that they are nearing the end of trailers so Sal's leak is objectively true because... arbitrary reason. HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. I am probably going to go watch Melee pools now to avoid getting an aneurysm. Someone competent will example that that reasoning is completely and utterly fallacious, and when I return... people will broaden their perspectives to more than Chrom, Chorus Men or Shulk. In an ideal world, that is.

Edit- Greninja'd by False Sense. As usual, his logic is staggering.

Last edited:

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
I'll take your word on it, but would you happen to have a source?
"@Sora_Sakurai: Twitter、というよりネットの調子悪しです。うーん。"

This is where he said he doesn't know why there so much negativity towards him on twitter; you can google it. It's still up there in his page somewhere

As for people flinging their anger at him, literally twitter search "smash bros" or "Sakurai" in Japanese and look for any posts at June 10. There's way too many of them scattered around.

I'm surprised he didn't fire back at the general public in his feed. If I recall correctly, there used to be a Japanese twitter user that gave him crap over twitter a long way back; and Sakurai snapped back at him (leading the aggressor to delete his own twitter). It was pretty funny since it caught wind amongst some news sites and japanese fans over twitter. Must've been humiliating for the guy

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
We all know that there is a reveal on Monday, but why? Does anyone have any ideas as to why he decided Monday for a reveal?

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
A vague, general statement can't line up with numbers. Only your individual interpretation can. You can't claim to know the exact number of newcomers left based on this statement alone.

Also, is this statement about reaching the bottom of the stash really anything we didn't already know? Did anyone honestly think we'd get that many more newcomers? I think we all knew that we had already seen the majority of the newcomers. We already knew they were reaching the bottom of the stash. This update is nothing we didn't already know.
He's got two months before the 3DS version launches. It's not hard at all to understand why 3 remaining newbies are all the fresh blood to expect. Ridley's a boss. K. Rool will appear in Smash Run if he's lucky. Krystal's straight out unless she's in Fox/Wolf/Falco's unique taunts(if those come back). Mewtwo faces Jiggly for that 5th slot, and precedent isn't on his side.

Tell me what makes you think seven newcomers are more likely than three, especially now.

Oh really? Show me this non-existent math, what are the numbers precisely? Source please! Ah, I see... Sakurai said that they are nearing the end of trailers so Sal's leak is objectively true because... arbitrary reason. HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. I am probably going to go watch Melee pools now to avoid getting an aneurysm. Someone competent will example that that reasoning is completely and utterly fallacious, and when I return... people will broaden their perspectives to more than Chrom, Chorus Men or Shulk. In an ideal world, that is.

Edit- Greninja'd by False Sense. As usual, his logic is staggering.
See above. Also, I could toss a lot more numbers around, but people get angry when I shatter illusions so crudely. Hell, I almost prefer to watch it happen rather than instigate it(I love reading Brawl character roster posts around the Jan. 28th, 2008 time period).

"@Sora_Sakurai: Twitter、というよりネットの調子悪しです。うーん。"

This is where he said he doesn't know why there so much negativity towards him on twitter; you can google it. It's still up there in his page somewhere

As for people flinging their anger at him, literally twitter search "smash bros" or "Sakurai" in Japanese and look for any posts at June 10. There's way too many of them scattered around.

I'm surprised he didn't fire back at the general public in his feed. If I recall correctly, there used to be a Japanese twitter user that gave him crap over twitter a long way back; and Sakurai snapped back at him (leading the aggressor to delete his own twitter). It was pretty funny since it caught wind amongst some news sites and japanese fans over twitter. Must've been humiliating for the guy
That sucks to hear. I don't blame him for getting snippy in return. Goodness knows I'd have a hard time holding back.
We all know that there is a reveal on Monday, but why? Does anyone have any ideas as to why he decided Monday for a reveal?
Well, it may not be much, but July 15th was a FE release date. Maybe there's a connection?

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Rhythm Heaven typically gets a July release (august 3rd for tengoku though) in Japan so there's that?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
He's got two months before the 3DS version launches. It's not hard at all to understand why 3 remaining newbies are all the fresh blood to expect. Ridley's a boss. K. Rool will appear in Smash Run if he's lucky. Krystal's straight out unless she's in Fox/Wolf/Falco's unique taunts(if those come back). Mewtwo faces Jiggly for that 5th slot, and precedent isn't on his side.

Tell me what makes you think seven newcomers are more likely than three, especially now.
You are familiar with the concept of secret characters, correct? The time remaining before release does not dictate the exact number of remaining characters. They'll reveal most of the characters before release, and then leave some hidden. Also...

-Ridley has not been confirmed as a boss, and there is evidence to the contrary

-King K. Rool being a Smash Run boss if he's lucky is subjective statement with little evidence

-Krystal is probably very unlikely, but I don't think she's completely out of the question (though I'm not quite sure why you keep bringing her up, of all people)

-Mewtwo does face competition from Jigglypuff for a 5th slot, but the possibility of a sixth slot is a real one

I find seven more newcomers to be very unlikely at this point. I'm thinking five at most. I don't know where you got the idea I thought seven newcomers was likely.

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Oh great, the dark stretchy dog is back.
If you'll excuse me, I'll go do something else. I'll be back tomorrow when this stale argument is over.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Xeno series directer retweeted the Smash reveal announcement. All you need to know, really.
Oh, I see the link now.

If that's the case, then that's incredible timing. I'm just about to finish Xenoblade Chronicles myself.

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman

So pretty much it's as I suspected. Higher up meddling for the roster choices. I was going to blame Japan, but it seems like they aren't even happy with the roster overall. Only like HALF of the newcomers are really fan focused based on the overall Smash community history of interest in characters. He even messed up on the rep for RH. It's hard to tell though because the west has a habit of bandwagoning onto characters.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Xeno series directer retweeted the Smash reveal announcement. All you need to know, really.
Didn't something similar happen for the direct? I could've swore people expected Shulk due to the director retweeting the news.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Didn't something similar happen for the direct? I could've swore people expected Shulk due to the director retweeting the news.
AFAIK this is the first time he retweeted one.

Could be unrelated though, we'll see.

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
You are familiar with the concept of secret characters, correct? The time remaining before release does not dictate the exact number of remaining characters. They'll reveal most of the characters before release, and then leave some hidden. Also...

-Ridley has not been confirmed as a boss, and there is evidence to the contrary

-King K. Rool being a Smash Run boss if he's lucky is subjective statement with little evidence

-Krystal is probably very unlikely, but I don't think she's completely out of the question (though I'm not quite sure why you keep bringing her up, of all people)

-Mewtwo does face competition from Jigglypuff for a 5th slot, but the possibility of a sixth slot is a real one

I find seven more newcomers to be very unlikely at this point. I'm thinking five at most. I don't know where you got the idea I thought seven newcomers was likely.
There is a reasonable possibility that unlocks will be primarily(or entirely) veterans. If there are still unlockable characters. It would be rather inconvenient to have to go through whatever process would be necessary to unlock each character twice, so there are two ways it may be handled. Either no unlocks(TTT2, UvMC3), or the 3DS links to the Wii U somehow to tell it you've already unlocked X characters.

Or they could just be hard-headed and decide "naw dawg unlock 'em again. the true smash begins here."

I guess it's hard to say, but the time to ride the momentum wave is now. Makes sense.

Oh great, the dark stretchy dog is back.
If you'll excuse me, I'll go do something else. I'll be back tomorrow when this stale argument is over.
barq

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I definitely remember people talking about keeping an eye on tweets from Monolith Soft before a Direct, since that would suggest Shulk was being revealed. I can't recall whether or not anything was actually tweeted, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom