• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Gematsu has three outstanding New Comer reveals.
"nearing the bottom of the stash of new challenger videos" doesn't mean there is only one left, the three make sense.

They are live streaming this, specifically, which means its either something big or something unexpected:

Don't see Chrom getting that much attention if he is in.

Chorus men and Shulk would deserve their own stream because they are a new franchise entirely.

Chorus men seem like they would be saved for a later reveal akin to G&W and ROB.

The retweet makes it seem like its Shulk at this point.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Gematsu has three outstanding New Comer reveals.
"nearing the bottom of the stash of new challenger videos" doesn't mean there is only one left, the three make sense.

They are live streaming this, specifically, which means its either something big or something unexpected:

Don't see Chrom getting that much attention if he is in.

Chorus men and Shulk would deserve their own stream because they are a new franchise entirely.

Chorus men seem like they would be saved for a later reveal akin to G&W and ROB.

The retweet makes it seem like its Shulk at this point.
Why wouldn't Chrom get attention?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The fact that there are only three outstanding newcomers to really expect, and a huge slew of unnanounced vets. :falcon:, :falco:, :ganondorf:, :popo:, :jigglypuff:, :metaknight:,:gw:, :ness2:, :rob:, :wario:, :wolf:.
Wait... I thought you were arguing that there were likely only three newcomers left because of the time left between now and the release of the game, and to back this up you claimed that it was unlikely that we would have secret newcomers. And now your evidence is that there are only three likely newcomers left. That's circular logic.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
One question, if any of the characters which were cut from Melee eg Mewtwo, Roy etc, would you still consider them as veterans or something else?
They are technically vets, but I'll bet they'd be treated like newcomers.
Mewtwo especially.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Wait... I thought you were arguing that there were likely only three newcomers left because of the time left between now and the release of the game, and to back this up you claimed that it was unlikely that we would have secret newcomers. And now your evidence is that there are only three likely newcomers left. That's circular logic.
Naw, that's a different argument. Three newcomers left is indeed because we don't have much time before the 3DS version launches. Your quote was asking me why I figured unlocks would be vets. C'mon, son. If you're gonna try to trap me like that, you need to put effort in.

There is a reasonable possibility that unlocks will be primarily(or entirely) veterans.
Ok... So what evidence is there to support this claim?
Do whaaaaa?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Naw, that's a different argument. Three newcomers left is indeed because we don't have much time before the 3DS version launches. Your quote was asking me why I figured unlocks would be vets. C'mon, son. If you're gonna try to trap me like that, you need to put effort in.
But what does the release date have to do with determining the number of remaining newcomers? You have yet to properly answer this question. It's not like they're forced to reveal every newcomer before release, and the limited time left means that there is only three left. There's almost certainly going to be secret newcomers in the game. As long as that possibility exists, how can any definite claim be made about the number of remaining newcomers and the relation it has to the time left till release?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Heh, that tweet. I hope he realizes those angry fans didn't randomly generate from inside a vacuum, but as a direct result of decisions he made with the game.

Does anyone have the source regarding "all new characters will get videos?" I'm currently taking the quote about "reaching the bottom of the barrel" at face value, but I still think it would make sense that unlockable characters don't have the same time and effort put into cutscenes that won't be revealed publicly, and that there'd be more than just two unlockable newcomers.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
But what does the release date have to do with determining the number of remaining newcomers? You have yet to properly answer this question. It's not like they're forced to reveal every newcomer before release, and the limited time left means that there is only three left. There's almost certainly going to be secret newcomers in the game. As long as that possibility exists, how can any definite claim be made about the number of remaining newcomers and the relation it has to the time left till release?
Because Sakurai doesn't determine what information gets leaked and what doesn't. The time left before release + validity of Gematsu + the state of veterans waiting for their announcements = limited slots left, likely the three remaining Gematsu newcomers. Just no room for Ridley and co. But then, he's just too big to begin with. :4pacman:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Because Sakurai doesn't determine what information gets leaked and what doesn't. The time left before release + validity of Gematsu + the state of veterans waiting for their announcements = limited slots left, likely the three remaining Gematsu newcomers. Just no room for Ridley and co. But then, he's just too big to begin with. :4pacman:
There is room left for characters like Ridley, most likely as secret characters. You can't rule out that possibility.

Speaking of Ridley, there's actually a lot of evidence in Ridley's favor if you analyze the situation.

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Why wouldn't Chrom get attention?
Because there is such emphasis on a streaming video.
Figured they would simply announce a new franchise repped in SSB.

Personally, I see Chroms announcement more likely to be tied to a direct or some other similar event.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

Personally, I see Chroms announcement more likely to be tied to a direct or some other similar event.
I feel they may have been building up to Chrom/New FE character

We have both Marth and Ike already, and we have both FE stages already. Why not just cap it off, its what they did for Rosalina after all. They revealed literally pretty much all the Mario related things in build up to her

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000

I actually think it would be more beneficial to have a new series rep shown in a direct. Announce new details on X and BAM! Shulk in smash to generate hype. A streaming video just seems kinda like "here's a character, go have fun"

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
The newcomer is probably going to be Shulk, I would want it to be ridley but sadly, I don't think he is gonna be announced before the release

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Found it.

"Nevertheless we will still present the new characters with intro cutscenes, as we already did with the Villager, Megaman and Wii Fit Trainer."
One, it says we will 'present' the new characters, indicating that all of the publicly-revealed newcomers will get trailers, and two, it does not say 'all of the new characters' will get trailers, leaving the door open for hidden characters post-release.

Unless there's some other interview out there with more info on the trailers, this seems reasonable.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
There is room left for characters like Ridley, most likely as secret characters. You can't rule out that possibility.

Speaking of Ridley, there's actually a lot of evidence in Ridley's favor if you analyze the situation.
Not gonna engage in Ridleychat.

The math and circumstances are adding up in favor of 47 + Random. Two months out and no hints of anything unrelated to Gematsu? 48, that magic number, working flawlessly on both 3DS and Wii U? That same number pretty much shutting down any chance of non-Gematsu newcomers(unless folk in the 11 vet camp start getting cut)? The all-but-outright statements of several characters' statuses? They're all intertwining effortlessly to paint a picture that I'm getting the feeling a lot of folk don't like seeing.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I guess you're happy that there is backlash towards the roster, eh?
I'm happy that at least some of the fans are holding him accountable for his roster choices. He wants to indulge his own whims by throwing in multiple unknowns and a very small number of iconic choices, that's his prerogative, but he should completely expect people to respond accordingly when the major characters they've wanted to see for a decade or more miss out yet again.

Granted, if they're just randomly cursing instead of legitimately criticizing, that's no good. But fingers crossed people are at least above that.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I agree even though I realised that my opinion is more logic than evidences.

So, about that announcement, what is the general consensus now? Sal leak? popular pick not in the Sal leak or unexpected?

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
I'm happy that at least some of the fans are holding him accountable for his roster choices. He wants to indulge his own whims by throwing in multiple unknowns and a very small number of iconic choices, that's his prerogative, but he should completely expect people to respond accordingly when the major characters they've wanted to see for a decade or more miss out yet again.

Granted, if they're just randomly cursing instead of legitimately criticizing, that's no good. But fingers crossed people are at least above that.
They've got Project M if they want their character in if they couldn't cut it officially. They've no business berating Sakurai, especially if he's following higher-ups in being forced to include characters. If he is adding characters on his own whims, then good for him. He's allowed to have fun at his job. Wasn't that what Reggie said during the Digital Event? I'm not saying bow down and accept everything, but you should at least thank him and be courteous for the effort he's put in.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So, about that announcement, what is the general consensus now? Sal leak? popular pick not in the Sal leak or unexpected?
Seems that most people believe it will be Shulk. Which, he's included in the salamander leak.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Seems that most people believe it will be Shulk. Which, he's included in the salamander leak.
It's @salromano ...

But anyway, it's true that it would be hype worthy for 3 days wait but that's also the same reason I think it could be unrelated to sal and be a very popular one.

Though, if I grasp at straws, it could be Paper Mario since it's been exactly a week since that social media talk :troll:

Though, if it's sal related, I think it would be chrom. Just a feeling I don't know.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I just like calling it salamander sometimes lol, I remember I struggled remembering the name so I just called it that. If it's truly a character from the leak, I'm hoping it's Chrom(the only remaining one that I like) but I would rather have the Tactician from Awakening. I really don't like the rest of the leaked characters too much, if at all really.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
They've got Project M if they want their character in if they couldn't cut it officially. They've no business berating Sakurai, especially if he's following higher-ups in being forced to include characters. If he is adding characters on his own whims, then good for him. He's allowed to have fun at his job. Wasn't that what Reggie said during the Digital Event? I'm not saying bow down and accept everything, but you should at least thank him and be courteous for the effort he's put in.
Any business? There are no sacred cows here...if people want to praise, they're free to praise, and if people want to criticize, they're free to criticize. No reaction happens in a vacuum, therefore no reaction is unwarranted.

Also, I couldn't care less what he personally finds "fun." He's not a potential customer, therefore his personal feelings should be irrelevant when the fact that Nintendo is a business is considered.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Rubberwolf is a known troll, or just a ridiculously stubborn poster. He will never back off of his terrible argument that there's 48 characters even though the evidence is against him, but he completely ignores it. No hope in arguing with this guy.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Not gonna engage in Ridleychat.

The math and circumstances are adding up in favor of 47 + Random. Two months out and no hints of anything unrelated to Gematsu? 48, that magic number, working flawlessly on both 3DS and Wii U? That same number pretty much shutting down any chance of non-Gematsu newcomers(unless folk in the 11 vet camp start getting cut)? The all-but-outright statements of several characters' statuses? They're all intertwining effortlessly to paint a picture that I'm getting the feeling a lot of folk don't like seeing.
No hints of anything unrelated to Gematsu?

-Ambiguous references to Ridley that match the way Palutena was referenced prior to her reveal

-Kremlings in Smash Run, supposed Chunky Kong Assist

-Sakurai is "thinking about" including Mega Mewtwo Y in the game

-Sakurai's statement about how he wants to bring back old characters like he did with Pit and Kid Icarus.

It seems like you're ignoring things that work against your argument.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Rubberwolf is a known troll, or just a ridiculously stubborn poster. He will never back off of his terrible argument that there's 48 characters even though the evidence is against him, but he completely ignores it. No hope in arguing with this guy.
He's not a troll he's just really attached to his 47+ random roster theory, claiming it as a fact now, but really we have gone through this shtick enough already, let's just wait and see how the roster ends up.

-Ambiguous references to Ridley that match the way Palutena was referenced prior to her reveal

-Sakurai's statement about how he wants to bring back old characters like he did with Pit and Kid Icarus.

You forgot to say :snype: :awesome:

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779

-50 - 52 also working flawlessly on Wii U and 3DS
- The fact that we're likely to have secret newcomers
- The fact that Gematsu leak info is subject to change given that it is old info?

Even with these facts, he'll ignore it 100%. Only because he made an awful video about it, and refuses to look at the evidence.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
He's not a troll he's just really attached to his 47+ random roster theory, claiming it as a fact now, but really we have gone through this shtick enough already, let's just wait and see how the roster ends up.

You forgot to say :snype: :awesome:
I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but what does :snype: mean?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well I guess a reveal on Monday makes sense. One this month, one in August, and one in Sept and then the game's out in Japan.

Nothing against the remaining newcomers, but I just wish there was a bit more surprise in who we get than I imagine there will be.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I thank him for the work he has done on the veterans and gameplay of this game, but none of the newcomers are of my taste, and thus I don't see why I should be thankful for the newcomers. Heck, I'd prefer we just got Brawl's roster copy-pasted, at least that has Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas and Snake, characters I like more than any of the newcomers, with the exception of Mega Man who's a fantastic addition even if he doesn't really fit my playstyle, same for Little Mac.

When you makes a newcomer roster which is missing crucial elements like a heavy weight character and a villain in favor of including "lol, you sure didn't expect that one now did ya?" characters a sizeable part of the fanbase is going to end up dissapointed, and rightfully so, at that point the developer is having a little too much fun, which is a very real thing. It annoys me personally because Sakurai made such a fantastic and almost flawless newcomer roster for Brawl (Ridley > ZSS would have made it perfect for me), this one is just missing crucial parts.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The monday character reveal is clearly Klose or Messi depending on who wins the world cup. (obviously germany)

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
You can still appreciate Sakurai's work on the game and criticize the roster. Nothing wrong with criticizing things civilly.

It's true that no final roster will be perfect -- you can't please everyone. However, when even the Japanese fanbase is expressing mixed feelings about the roster decisions, that has got to raise some flags.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I honestly think that King K. Rool and Ridley should've received moderately high priority in this installment. The sheer amount of worldwide requests for these characters should've earned them playability, also these characters fit perfectly. There's exceptions to everything, but I'll be very disappointed to know that these characters for some reason didn't make the roster while they were deciding who to put in to the game. I don't mind surprise characters, but I think they should receive a little lower priority than the rest.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
However, when even the Japanese fanbase is expressing mixed feelings about the roster decisions, that has got to raise some flags.
I would think the Japanese are fairly opinionated as well when it comes to Smash, it's not like they'd just be a bunch of yes-men when it came to the roster regardless of who we got.

I think every and anywhere you go you'll find some Smash fans expressing mixed feelings about the roster decisions, it happens every game.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
For some reason I had a strong urge to play Xenoblade yesterday, after not being able to play it for months. Maybe it's a sign.
#MonadoMonday

On a side note: It's good that Sakurai announced this. It probably means we'll be getting a newcomer on August and/or September.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Do we even know if said Japanese fans aren't just a very vocal minority?

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Firstly, my response to False Sense!

Ooohgooooooood here we go. :4pacman:

Ambiguous, yes. Shadow shown during an explanation of boss mechanics as the clear subject. Referred to as a 'boss character'. Constant flight. At this point, I swear he could come out and say, "Ridley is a Boss Hazard on Pyrosphere" and you guys would go "WELL SO IS BOWSER AND GANONDORF THEY'RE BOSSES AND HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH IF THEY HIT YOU CHECKMATE SAKURAI NOW GIVE US OUR BIG DUMB DRAGON!"

"A big Kremling in Smash Run as a boss encounter"

Very possibly as a Boss Encounter or Boss Hazard! This doesn't really guarantee playability, you know!

Little Mac.

Refuting =/= ignoring!

Okay, praying that worked. Still a newbie to collapsing stuff. Boy I wish there was a preview new post button. Onto round dos.

FAKE EDIT: HURR I'M DUMB I found it. More options, woo!

-50 - 52 also working flawlessly on Wii U and 3DS
Not nearly as well as 47 + R. Sorry brah. Unless the Wii U portraits change up quite a bit, so much so that there's no real margin left. Or the actual player space shrinks significantly to accommodate a different layout(OH GOD HERE WE GO).

- The fact that we're likely to have secret newcomers
According to...? What, exactly? I can name my 47 + Random. You guys can't even decide if it's K. Rool or Dixie.

- The fact that Gematsu leak info is subject to change given that it is old info?
El oh el. Yes. The roster being finalized several years ago means it's subject to change at any moment. Yup. Neato-keeno. I mean, Gematsu's been right about literally everything else so far, but I mean gosh y'know. And I explained Rosalina's omission several times. I'd be willing to do it an eighth if you ask nicely though! I feel like I'm defending this harder than Sal.

Even with these facts, he'll ignore it 100%. Only because he made an awful video about it, and refuses to look at the evidence.
Don't be jelly. :colorful:

It's his stupid phrase for "sniping" arguments i guess
Page-snyping, you donkey. My post at the top of a page? I snype it. P-tew! :skull:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom