• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Keebs

Luiginator
NNID
Elf-Master
3DS FC
2921-9429-2474
How on Earth would it be "lazy?" That doesn't even make sense...
How would you like to see a roster of lets say 40 maybe 45 characters and 8 or 10 of them were Pokemon? That's about one fourth of the roster. "Who should be in Smash 4?" "idk lets just add some more Pokemon, people love Pokemon." Lazy or is Game Freak in charge now?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
How would you like to see a roster of lets say 47 maybe 50 characters and 5 or 6 of them were Pokemon? That's about one eighth of the roster.
Fixed that to be more accurate. The roster isn't being flooded with Pokemon characters. At best, we'll have the same number of Pokemon characters as Brawl had. The roster was even smaller then, yet having all those Pokemon characters didn't seem to be a problem.

Last edited:

Mr. Keebs

Luiginator
NNID
Elf-Master
3DS FC
2921-9429-2474
Pretty sure the only thing Lucario and Mewtwo have in similar at all is their B moves and even those work pretty differently.

May have a point with Wolf, but even he has quite different A moves from Fox and his B's all work differently
I know Lucario and Mewtwo are pretty different in their attacks and all but they do kinda have similar "styles" just like Fox, Falco, and Wolf. They have similar play "styles"
But hey I wouldn't mind seeing every character to every appear in a Smash game return in Smash 4 from Dr. Mario to Pichu to Mewtwo, even Wolf and Lucas, haha :p

epicgordan

Smash Ace
While I get the policy behind Gamefreak regarding what characters from their games Sakurai is allowed to use, I do believe that Sakurai has such a good relationship with them that the developers essentially allows Sakurai free range regarding playable characters. Greninja's inclusion seems to be a lasting testament to their relationship given that we were still waiting for Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 when Smash 4 began development. It's obvious that Sakurai not only prefers Pokémon that are iconic, but has some pretty good insight on what will be popular to add him to the game as early as say, I'm guessing...mid-to-late 2012?

Arguably the only odd duck to have ever come from this would be Pokémon Trainer, and one could make the argument that Sakurai was referencing Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, and thought he'd make for a highly unique and interesting inclusion. Some may also say Jigglypuff, but guess what was going on during Smash 64's development?

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I know Lucario and Mewtwo are pretty different in their attacks and all but they do kinda have similar "styles" just like Fox, Falco, and Wolf. They have similar play "styles"
But hey I wouldn't mind seeing every character to every appear in a Smash game return in Smash 4 from Dr. Mario to Pichu to Mewtwo, even Wolf and Lucas, haha :p
I hope we get Lucas and Wolf back. I feel they deserve it, as did the others. Sadly time and such..

Mr. Keebs

Luiginator
NNID
Elf-Master
3DS FC
2921-9429-2474
Fixed that to be more accurate. The roster isn't being flooded with Pokemon characters. At best, we'll have the same number of Pokemon characters as Brawl had. The roster was even smaller then, yet having all those Pokemon characters didn't seem to be a problem.
Thank you for bringing that into perspective for me (not being hostile) but still IMO, I can name a lot more characters I'd rather see than more Pokemon.

Luigi160

Smash Cadet
Because Wolf has little unique play style along with Lucas. Dr. Mario, Roy, Mewtwo, and Pichu were all cut from Melee three of which were clones and Mewtwo transferred alot of his play style (they're pretty similar) to Lucario. I think the developers like to add more unique experiences to the games but hey, Wolf IS a major antagonist for Star Fox and a highly reasonable representative but i really can't see Fox, Falco, AND Wolf in Smash 4 all while making them entirely unique. Heck the only reason I think Falco will return is because I also can't see Star Fox only having 1 representative, hmm...
Wolf really doesn't play like Fox at all partly due to being slower and having a different blaster.

Lucas largely unique moves plus ground have alot ko power while his largely for dealing damage. Ness is pretty much the opposite of that.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Thank you for bringing that into perspective for me (not being hostile) but still IMO, I can name a lot more characters I'd rather see than more Pokemon.
It's the thing with Smash. We all have our favorite Nintendo series (Mine being Fire Emblem) we wish we'd see more and see less of others.

But I love all the franchises in Smash so I just trust Sakurai to make the right choices.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Nintendo: "Mother 3 confirmed for Virtual Boy. *Bam* Lucas is returning in Smash 4!" Wouldn't that be the day lol
Unfortunately, the Virtual Boy was a resounding critical and financial failure that was discontinued in the mid 1990's, so I seriously doubt we'll be getting Mother 3 for that system. Besides, given that Mother 3 was originally released on the Gameboy Advanced, why would anyone ever port the game on more dated technology--let alone a console that is regarded as one of the worst ever made? The Virtual Boy itself is more likely to be the new joke character than it is of getting Mother 3!

Or wait! Did you mean Virtual Console?

Mr. Keebs

Luiginator
NNID
Elf-Master
3DS FC
2921-9429-2474
Warning Received
Wolf really doesn't play like Fox at all partly due to being slower and having a different blaster.

Lucas largely unique moves plus ground have alot ko power while his largely for dealing damage. Ness is pretty much the opposite of that.
"Slower and different blaster." Well isn't Ganondorf just a slower Captain Falcon? They're considered clones (right?) Speed doesn't have a lot of say in deciding if they're "clones" or not. I know the Star Fox people aren't necessarily "clones."
Wolf may not play like the other two but they do have the same style. Pretty much all of their attacks are similar. They all have a blaster, their recovery moves are the same, they all have reflectors BUT they were all tweaked to make them not clones but their overall feel and style is still VERY similar.

Unfortunately, the Virtual Boy was a resounding critical and financial failure that was discontinued in the mid 1990's, so I seriously doubt we'll be getting Mother 3 for that system. Besides, given that Mother 3 was originally released on the Gameboy Advanced, why would anyone ever port the game on more dated technology--let alone a console that is regarded as one of the worst ever made? The Virtual Boy itself is more likely to be the new joke character than it is of getting Mother 3!

Or wait! Did you mean Virtual Console?
Haha,opps that was a major typo XD :p *embarrassed*:nervous:
:happysheep:

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wolf is three moves away from being entirely different, and even those three moves are quite different. I have no idea where this "similar styles" thing is coming from.

Wolf focuses on feral, tooth-and-claw, in your face tactics and approach, while Fox is a lighter kick-based fighter. There's extremely little overlap in their moves. Wolf is by no means a clone.

Mr. Keebs

Luiginator
NNID
Elf-Master
3DS FC
2921-9429-2474
Wolf is three moves away from being entirely different, and even those three moves are quite different. I have no idea where this "similar styles" thing is coming from.

Wolf focuses on feral, tooth-and-claw, in your face tactics and approach, while Fox is a lighter kick-based fighter. There's extremely little overlap in their moves. Wolf is by no means a clone.
Well Wolf is "similar in style" to Fox and Falco the same way Lucas is "similar in style" to Ness and the same way Captain Falcon is "similar in style" to Ganondorf. Maybe "style" isn't the word I'm looking for, what is it?

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
For Wolf, I do want them to put more emphasis on that bayonet he has on his Blaster, either make it noticeably longer or a replacement for his dash attack.

Mr. Keebs

Luiginator
NNID
Elf-Master
3DS FC
2921-9429-2474
For Wolf, I do want them to put more emphasis on that bayonet he has on his Blaster, either make it noticeably longer or a replacement for his dash attack.
That'd be nice, perhaps they should do it to Ganondorf too and put emphasis on using his sword instead of being so similar to Captain Falcon.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well Wolf is "similar in style" to Fox and Falco the same way Lucas is "similar in style" to Ness and the same way Captain Falcon is "similar in style" to Ganondorf. Maybe "style" isn't the word I'm looking for, what is it?
But that's just the thing. Wolf and Fox are much different than Falcon and Ganon or Ness and Lucas. A quick video comparison would showcase this, but I can't find the correct video.

Literally, every move would be completely different if Wolf's Reflector, Blaster, and Landmaster were different. And even then, his Blaster has a very unique property due to the attached bayonet working well in close-range.

Mr. Keebs

Luiginator
NNID
Elf-Master
3DS FC
2921-9429-2474
But that's just the thing. Wolf and Fox are much different than Falcon and Ganon or Ness and Lucas. A quick video comparison would showcase this, but I can't find the correct video.

Literally, every move would be completely different if Wolf's Reflector, Blaster, and Landmaster were different. And even then, his Blaster has a very unique property due to the attached bayonet working well in close-range.
Well I suppose if you have an amateur Wolf, Fox, and Falco player, they'd play alot more similar than a more experienced and technical group of Wolf, Fox, and Falco players. Same with Falcon Ganondorf and Ness Lucas, the later characters being ALOT more noticeable than the Star Fox crew. I do see what youre pointing at

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Don't forget to also give him a different final smash that isn't a landmaster.

Luigi160

Smash Cadet
"Slower and different blaster." Well isn't Ganondorf just a slower Captain Falcon? They're considered clones (right?) Speed doesn't have a lot of say in deciding if they're "clones" or not. I know the Star Fox people aren't necessarily "clones."
Wolf may not play like the other two but they do have the same style. Pretty much all of their attacks are similar. They all have a blaster, their recovery moves are the same, they all have reflectors BUT they were all tweaked to make them not clones but their overall feel and style is still VERY similar.

Haha,opps that was a major typo XD :p *embarrassed*:nervous:
:happysheep:
I'm refering to how they're played. Sure the SF trio have visual and style similarities but Wolf and Fox do not play the since can use his speed to rush down his opponents which Wolf cant do. Wolf can laser camp(sorta) but Fox's laser cant be used in that same way.

The speed difference between Ganon and Falcon drastically alters how you play them even though their moves look similiar. This is why i dont really consider them to be clones. For me, play style is the determining factor for clone status.

Hong

The Strongest
I'm surprised folks gave people like that any credit.

They have literally nothing to lose from making up fake leaks. They just want attention, and you are giving them exactly what they came for.

Personally I think Wario and Ness are both receiving some revisions, and we won't see them until a Direct.

Last edited:

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
Not that I'm giving the "leaker" any credit or anything, but didn't he say Wario would be revealed within two weeks? Doesn't that "leak" have a whole other week to go, or am I misunderstanding something.

I'm sure it's fake anyway, which is a shame. I really would like to see Isaac in this game. I love Golden Sun.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I gotta say, poor Pac-man. More people were actually going to give him a chance because they thought he was a summoner character.

I can say I am a little disappointed with him not using those namco characters for attacks but hey, what can you do. *Shrugs*

Pac-man is still nice enough though.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
How would you like to see a roster of lets say 40 maybe 45 characters and 8 or 10 of them were Pokemon? That's about one fourth of the roster. "Who should be in Smash 4?" "idk lets just add some more Pokemon, people love Pokemon." Lazy or is Game Freak in charge now?
yo dat aint layzee dats jes bad choysez of carecters

dat aynt lahjikull

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Technically the Gematsu leak is not "directly" from Sal. So, are you essentially asserting that we should not give his leak any credit? :awesome:
The leak is directly FROM SAL TO US. Our only source is our direct source. Nitpicking me doesn't discredit anything

Morbi

Scavenger
The leak is directly FROM SAL TO US. Our only source is our direct source. Nitpicking me doesn't discredit anything
No. The leak is not directly from Sal. First of all, even with your alteration to the phrase, that is still not a logical assertion as you are incorrectly using the word "directly." We have a secondary source that is "directly" from Sal to us. But that is not what you stated and it would be counter-intuitive for you to state such. Secondly, I was joking and I did not mean to "discredit" you despite your fallacious reasoning and the notion that I did.

D

Deleted member

So, with today's pic, don't you think Namco is kind of overrepresented compared to Capcom and Sega ?

Hong

The Strongest
So, with today's pic, don't you think Namco is kind of overrepresented compared to Capcom and Sega ?
We don't know yet.

So far? Sure Pac-Man has two stages, but I'd give Capcom the cake. Even if it didn't deliver, Wily's Castle got a lot of love, and Elec Man is pretty cool. In any event, we don't know enough to say which third party got the most representations. I'm going to call at least one stage per console.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
You do realize that Namco is co-developing this game, right?

It makes sense that they'd try to celebrate their franchise history too in a game like Smash if they're helping development.
But hey I'm okay with it, since they are the first actual Third-Party developer to sell games on Nintendo consoles and all. So that is a pretty worthy reason for them getting this fair amount of content in the game, in my opinion anyways. Besides, it's better Pac-Man ends up as a walking Namco museum rather than there being like three playable Namco characters.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Not really. Although they have crammed a lot of Namco references into him, in the end it's just a mere taunt of a single character.

True, Pac Man has two stages compared to one each for Sonic and Mega Man, but it's very likely they will get handheld stages too.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If Wolf is a clone then so is Luigi. Luigi has more moves similar to Mario then Wolf has to Fox. Wolf has his specials (two of them being quite different from Fox's) and final Smash, Luigi has his standard special, up special, foward tilt, up smash, down smash, neutral air, up air, back air, his pumble and all of his throws.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Why is no one talking about Monday's new character reveal? Who do you think that could possibly be?

D

Deleted member

A 3 minutes-long trailer.

I'm expecting a more-than-one-character reveal trailer, like the Charizard & Greninja's one.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Expecting Shulk, or some new retro revival - probably Mach Rider.

Dedicating 3 minutes to a trailer definitely has a planned substance and structure to it IMO...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Honestly, they've given us a 3 day notice and everything, it better be someone really hype or it's going to be quite the buzzkill. Problem is that according to Gematsu we've only gotten two middle-ground hype characters and one that hasn't been hyped up by fans at all, so it's going to have to go outside Gematsu to live up to expectations.

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
As far as the character being announced, I'll list what I think the probability of each(OMG RTC):

Shulk: 45%

He's coming off of the wave of positive reception that X got at E3. Even if he may be unrelated to the new game, Sakurai may want to use the opportunity to take advantage of the momentum.

Chrom: 40%

This doesn't seem to be a particularly special date in regards to Chrom, but he is a member of a franchise that didn't get much of anything revealed at E3, and he'd probably be a bit more palatable to the general at large than the CK.

Chorus Men/Kids: 15%

I don't know if the CK would be announced this early, given Sakurai's penchant for keeping a WTF in his back pocket. That said, it'd certainly generate buzz.

What I'm actually more interested in is the context of the quote. Scraping the bottom of the newcomer trailers, eh? That seems to be hinting at a rather unpopular theory about the roster...

(47 + R)

EDIT: Upon further investigation, I find that July 15th(not 14th) was the release date of FE12. This may point toward Chrom's reveal.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You know what the funny thing about the hype is? The character most likely won't meet the incredibly high expectations. And yet, I can't control my hype.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom