• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Not sure why you felt the need to bash (or, at least, dismiss) so many other characters there; Snake seems pretty likely as well, given that he's a unique and popular character and (like Capcom at the time of Smash 4's announcement) Konami needs all of the good publicity that it can get.

As for other threads, I'm not sure which specific ones you're referring to, but there's nothing wrong with people liking other characters more than Wolf, or thinking that other characters are more likely. (I'm not sure why someone would think that another character is more likely than Wolf, given that his situation is similar to Lucas's except he has the advantage of a game that's coming out, but I'm sure they have reasons for doing so)

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Not sure why you felt the need to bash (or, at least, dismiss) so many other characters there; Snake seems pretty likely as well, given that he's a unique and popular character and (like Capcom at the time of Smash 4's announcement) Konami needs all of the good publicity that it can get.

As for other threads, I'm not sure which specific ones you're referring to, but there's nothing wrong with people liking other characters more than Wolf, or thinking that other characters are more likely. (I'm not sure why someone would think that another character is more likely than Wolf, given that his situation is similar to Lucas's except he has the advantage of a game that's coming out, but I'm sure they have reasons for doing so)
Ummm... wut?

Just in case you don't know, there are some problem hindering Snake's return (either Nintendo-Konami issues and "maturity problem" as said by the Japanese). He's merely pointing that out, no?

One thing tho, Snake may not be so likely, but that doesn't make his popularity void. He's still the most popular character as assumed this is really actuate, but maybe not the most likely.

Either way, we can say Wolf is the most popular first party character... Right?...

Or maybe I'm just too hopeful...

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
Ummm... wut?

Just in case you don't know, there are some problem hindering Snake's return (either Nintendo-Konami issues and "maturity problem" as said by the Japanese). He's merely pointing that out, no?

One thing tho, Snake may not be so likely, but that doesn't make his popularity void. He's still the most popular character as assumed this is really actuate, but maybe not the most likely.

Either way, we can say Wolf is the most popular first party character... Right?...

Or maybe I'm just too hopeful...
You can't have too much hope.....

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
If Snake really can't be back because of the Kojima/Konami business, and Sakurai stated why the Ice Climbers were cut and won't get back in, this puts Wolf, King K. Rool, and Isaac in the top three. This pleases me.

I'm also surprised to see Ridley up there so high. Glad, but surprised. I thought people gave up on him after the whole Pyrosphere nonsense. Hope yet for the Murderous Purple Space Pirate Dragon? Despite, Sakurai doesn't need a ballot to know Ridley is popular because he had to address Ridley's position personally. He knows if Ridley became playable it would be one of the biggest fanservice characters you can have in a ballot about fanservice, it's more that Sakurai doesn't want to.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I would love to see Snake come back, but Wolf better be first. I remember when I did a Top 5 video on who I'd like to see as DLC, but my opinions have changed since then. Isaac has fallen from #3 to #6 and King K. Rool from #4 to #7. I'd still like to see them in, nonetheless.

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
Does anyone know of a website that you can make color swaps for unannounced characters,I would like to make Wolf color swaps and post them here in this thread

MeleeMario64

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-1005-9633
If Snake really can't be back because of the Kojima/Konami business, and Sakurai stated why the Ice Climbers were cut and won't get back in, this puts Wolf, King K. Rool, and Isaac in the top three. This pleases me.

I'm also surprised to see Ridley up there so high. Glad, but surprised. I thought people gave up on him after the whole Pyrosphere nonsense. Hope yet for the Murderous Purple Space Pirate Dragon? Despite, Sakurai doesn't need a ballot to know Ridley is popular because he had to address Ridley's position personally. He knows if Ridley became playable it would be one of the biggest fanservice characters you can have in a ballot about fanservice, it's more that Sakurai doesn't want to.
Completely this.
Over a year after his fit about cutscenes going online,he has a tantrum about Ridley.
"We try to keep characters as close to their original selves as we can."
Complete and utter bull.
Robin's down-b,Captain Falcon & Ganondorf,the list goes on.
He's just using codewords for "I don't wanna."

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Completely this.
Over a year after his fit about cutscenes going online,he has a tantrum about Ridley.
"We try to keep characters as close to their original selves as we can."
Complete and utter bull.
Robin's down-b,Captain Falcon & Ganondorf,the list goes on.
He's just using codewords for "I don't wanna."
RealTalk

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
About Robin's down special...

Sakurai said:
Although Robin doesn’t use dark magic in FE:A, I decided to assign it as his down special. It isn’t the first time I’ve given moves to a character that they don’t use in their respective game in order to capture certain aspects of the original title.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/06/28/sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-457-abilities-unlike-any-other/

Zelda uses the spells Link used in Ocarina of Time, Ness and Lucas use PSI attacks from their fellow party members, and so on... People often talk about series representation and whatnot. This is a form of that. The characters may not just represent themselves, but also the games and series they come from.

And in FEA, Robin can use dark magic if re-classed to a Dark Mage.

On Ganondorf being a clone, it's pretty much because of his last-minute addition back in Melee: in fact, he was the last character added to the roster.

His model wasn't made for Melee, but was imported from the SpaceWorld 2000 tech demo. It happened to be best suited for Captain Falcon's animations due to similar body shapes and he was added because he was a popular character at the time (and still is, being the main villain of the Zelda series and all).

Sakurai doesn't seem to like changing movesets too much between each iteration. Even if some special moves change or some animations are overhauled, the overall core concept of each character has remained the same thus far.

Plus, Sakurai receives input from the characters' creators/owners when designing the characters. This shouldn't be surprising when working with copyrighted content.

After all, Sakurai is not part of Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, Bandai Namco or any other companies that own the characters in Smash. He's an independent developer. Keep in mind that content creators can be rather protective towards their stuff, so Sakurai can't just do whatever he wants with the characters. His talk about accurate portrayals is not completely unfounded.

Also, check these out:
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/07/11/gdc-2008-translation/
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/07/09/megaman-villager-wiifit/

Sure, Sakurai does make a lot of decisions based on his whims. After all, he is the game designer. However, I don't believe his decisions are illogical. Though whether people agree or not with his decisions, that's a whole other story.

Another factor to keep in mind is how, given those are fictional characters, each individual may have different interpretations of those characters, even when most of the core concepts are understood universally.

(What does this have to do with Wolf anyway?)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Dunno,this thread constantly derails itself on a regular basis.
Unlike the Zelda social,this thread is always able to get back on track.
We've already talked about voice actors before though,guys.Really...
:troll:
I must admit one of my reasons to like Wolf in Brawl is his voice. So badass.

It's not like everything there was to talk about Wolf wasn't beaten to death. All that's left to do is voting in the ballot and wait.

Hopefully, he returns like how Mewtwo, Roy and Lucas did.

MeleeMario64

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-1005-9633
I must admit one of my reasons to like Wolf in Brawl is his voice. So badass.

It's not like everything there was to talk about Wolf wasn't beaten to death. All that's left to do is voting in the ballot and wait.

Hopefully, he returns like how Mewtwo, Roy and Lucas did.
Exactly.
Quick question,if anybody here is linked to SquidBoards,are there orange Inkling smileys?If so,i want one for my sig to go after K. Rool.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
On the topic about Snake, I must say I also support him for DLC but Wolf takes a bigger priority since Snake's chances are a bit slim unless Konami approves.

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
Wolf is likely to be DLC like Mewtwo and Lucas because it has similar popularity.
I hope Sakurai and Nintendo take good advantage of that.

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords

Bashing means something people don't agree with these days, and I don't even know what bashing you're referring to. Who even said there was anything *wrong* with liking other people too?

3rd party characters that arent closely affliated to Nintendo seem to appear more on a per game basis as guest appearances. Wouldn't expect Ryu to return for the next game. Kojima was a huge reason he made it in in the first place and that's pretty much gone now. Have you seen some of the decisions Konami has made? They are all over the shop.

Just to be clear no-one is questioning Snake's popularity here. MGS is obviously a much bigger series compared to SFZ. Although this is a Nintendo All-Stars game just to provide context to its overall popularity however.

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
To be honest I did not expect the return of Pacman and Megaman for an upcoming game too, if it comes to pass.

Last edited:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I wouldn't be surprised if Pac Man and Mega Man wouldn't make it to the next Smash game.
Pac-Man imo has a better chance to come back than Mega Man just because Capcom keeps wobbling on the financial scale and who knows what'll happen to them. But I think they both will return if another "Konami" situation doesn't happen

Also, Wolf is super likely as of now. The two DLC characters I consider HIGHLY likely are K. Rool and Wolf. I'd be surprised if they didn't become DLC tbh

CaptainJimmBob

Smash Journeyman
I think Sonic is a given, and I personally think Mega Man and Pac-Man are likely to return. Ryu is a very big maybe. As in most likely not. Snake is also probably not going to return.

But why are we talking about third parties, exactly?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I think Sonic is a given, and I personally think Mega Man and Pac-Man are likely to return. Ryu is a very big maybe. As in most likely not. Snake is also probably not going to return.

But why are we talking about third parties, exactly?
I don't know who brought that up in the first place. I was wondering about that myself.

themasterofcircuits

Smash Journeyman
NNID
professorfargo
One last thought about 3rd parties. Do you guys think that we will be getting any other 3rd party characters as DLC? I feel that Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Ryu are plenty, but there is a slim chance we'll get another one from the ballot imo. Especially because Ryu wasn't very popular as far as I know.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
One last thought about 3rd parties. Do you guys think that we will be getting any other 3rd party characters as DLC? I feel that Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Ryu are plenty, but there is a slim chance we'll get another one from the ballot imo. Especially because Ryu wasn't very popular as far as I know.
If anything, I'd give Snake and Rayman the benefit of the doubt.
Snake is a vet and Rayman has trophies in the Wii U version, meaning that Ubisoft gave them the okay to use their IP.
I highly doubt getting the okay from a companys twitter is all the legalities it takes, there's probably a bunch of copyright hell behind the scenes regarding 3rd party characters.

And those two are still HUGE maybes. I don't really think they're very likely.

As for Indies... hahaha, no way.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Snake is the only 3rd party character I'm interested in seeing even though his chances are a bit low.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I agree. At least this talk about 3rd party characters ain't as pointless as the ever super repetitive clones argument some people keep bringing up.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Just to quickly end the 3rd party debate

1 sonic is locked for 5 due to making it twice. (Reminder on ice climbers they failed due to limitation on the 3ds)

2 pac-man is very likely due to namco very likely to help again.

3 megaman and ryu is either both or 1 or neither, ryu has slight advantage, since capcom cares for his classic looks more than megaman. But megaman advantage due to fans want him more and smash does listen to fans, just not demanding ones.
Neither if capcom doesn't help again.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Just to quickly end the 3rd party debate

1 sonic is locked for 5 due to making it twice. (Reminder on ice climbers they failed due to limitation on the 3ds)

2 pac-man is very likely due to namco very likely to help again.

3 megaman and ryu is either both or 1 or neither, ryu has slight advantage, since capcom cares for his classic looks more than megaman. But megaman advantage due to fans want him more and smash does listen to fans, just not demanding ones.
Neither if capcom doesn't help again.
1: That's not how it works, SEGA needs to approve it and the director needs to want it
2: Speculating on who'll help make the game is something I don't recommend
3: either both or 1 or neither? That's basically saying 'I don't know'. When you say 'demanding ones' answer me this: why does Sakurai say fan demand when talking about newcomers that got in?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I don't think making it twice locks you in sadly. :4jigglypuff: was almost cut from Melee to Brawl, so it's certainly plausible to cut a character even after making it in two games. I don't know if Capcom will even be in existence by the time of the next game, so I think :4ryu: and :4megaman: might not be coming back. I'd really hope the opposite is what ends up being true though.

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
I want someone from Tekken for Smash 5 like Heihachi, but had development problems with his moves :/ and they changed to Pacman.
Sonic could be the more viable for the next game with someone from Namco.

Nintendo + Sega + Namco = FZero for Wii U please :cry: :4falcon::porttown:

Last edited:

themasterofcircuits

Smash Journeyman
NNID
professorfargo
Guys, we need more ways to talk about Wolf, and fast. What if in Mario Kart 8 we get a MK x Star Fox crossover with Fox and Wolf as playable characters, arwing and landmaster as vehicles, and a lylat system track for the next dlc pack?

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Guys, we need more ways to talk about Wolf, and fast. What if in Mario Kart 8 we get a MK x Star Fox crossover with Fox and Wolf as playable characters, arwing and landmaster as vehicles, and a lylat system track for the next dlc pack?
Meta Knight-Star Fox crossover?

Wouldn't see that happening, Mario Kart isn't a "All Star" game and 1-2 guest stars are already plenty for such a game...

themasterofcircuits

Smash Journeyman
NNID
professorfargo
Meta Knight-Star Fox crossover?

Wouldn't see that happening, Mario Kart isn't a "All Star" game and 1-2 guest stars are already plenty for such a game...
Ah, it totally slipped my mind people use MK for "Meta Knight" too xD.

Well considering we already have Link, Isabelle, and Villager along with two F-Zero tracks, I say may as well make it one.

Top Bottom