• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

Aviterius

Smash Cadet
Then there's me in the minority. I went back to all of the Smash games a month or so ago with Brawl being first and I find it loads better than Sm4sh. Being able to edgehog, dacus, sh airdodge, do numerous sh aerials. Feels far better. Heck, for me, Brawl was played pretty much everyday with only a few times where I took a break from the game. A good part of that was simply because my age, what with lacking a job and all but my cousin and I don't play Sm4sh alone. We only play it when he comes over which is about once a week. And while Wolf isn't in them, I find 64 and Melee also better than Sm4sh although that might be due to inexperience with them after years of not playing them.

That being said, I'm not trying to say your opinion is wrong or that I disrespect it. I simply wanted to throw my own opinion out there after seeing yours =P.
I personally prefer brawl as well, replayed it recently and shield pushback and edgehogging instantly won me over.
Not to mention the more limited recovery in general, really spices it up.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I feel great not being alone in preferring Brawl over Smash4 or Melee. It's still my favorite Smash game hands down. K. Rool in Smash 4 would make me change my mind, and Wolf would at least tie it up with Brawl.

In fact, the ONLY newcomer I even cared about in Smash 4 was Robin, where as leading up to Brawl release, every Friday on SmashDojo I'd be cheering like a loon because of the swath of awesome characters, stages, features, and new AT's being introduced. Charizard (and Squirtle and Ivysaur), Meta Knight, King Dedede, Diddy Kong, Wolf, and especially Sonic. In Smash 4 Robin's reveal was the only one I got excited about because I was huge into Awakening at the time and I thought "Avatar" was a pipedream when Chrom was a shoo-in due to Gematsu, even if I'd take any Awakening representation, and then I got to see Robin which was awesome. I was also glad to see Charizard return...but that was about it for Smash 4 hype for me.

Furret24

Smash Master
I'm even with Brawl and Smash 4. On one hand, Brawl has edgehogging, recovery isn't free, better shield mechanics, :gw: is really good in Brawl, and it's single player experience is far superior.

In the other, 4 is much smoother in it's controls, the music, stage, and character selection is better, it has online that isn't unplayable (it's still horrible though), and the character balance is improved (excluding Rosaluma and Sheik).
:gawmelee:

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
It's weird because my experience is very different than yours, I think that each smash game improved on its predecessor and while I usually played almost exclusively with friends in brawl and melee (never had 64), I play mostly "alone" (if for glory is considered alone).there is also the fact that I had more time to meet up with friends when I was younger and that I don't care much for ATs .
My cousin is the only friend I've got that has any interest in Smash and we used to do 1v1s against each other all the time back in Brawl and a bit in Melee. We did 1v1s at first in Sm4sh but my cousin finds the game too boring to want to keep doing them. Heck, the only reason he enjoys doing FG dubs is because he gets to upset people xD he's similar to me in that he prefers every other Smash game over 4 although he places Melee at the top while for me it's Brawl.

I play FG 1v1 every now and then but with the limited stage list, uninteresting characters and input lag, plus finding jerks or really bad players, it's not that much fun. FF is far more entertaining though I only go on there when I'm tired. I did play Sm4sh alone a lot at first since I went out of my way to complete every event on hard mode and complete Classic 9.0 with all characters but that's all been accomplished.
I personally prefer brawl as well, replayed it recently and shield pushback and edgehogging instantly won me over.
Not to mention the more limited recovery in general, really spices it up.
I completely forgot about shield pushback but thinking about it now, that was a nice feature too. You couldn't freely sit in shield at the ledge back then.
I feel great not being alone in preferring Brawl over Smash4 or Melee. It's still my favorite Smash game hands down. K. Rool in Smash 4 would make me change my mind, and Wolf would at least tie it up with Brawl.

In fact, the ONLY newcomer I even cared about in Smash 4 was Robin, where as leading up to Brawl release, every Friday on SmashDojo I'd be cheering like a loon because of the swath of awesome characters, stages, features, and new AT's being introduced. Charizard (and Squirtle and Ivysaur), Meta Knight, King Dedede, Diddy Kong, Wolf, and especially Sonic. In Smash 4 Robin's reveal was the only one I got excited about because I was huge into Awakening at the time and I thought "Avatar" was a pipedream when Chrom was a shoo-in due to Gematsu, even if I'd take any Awakening representation, and then I got to see Robin which was awesome. I was also glad to see Charizard return...but that was about it for Smash 4 hype for me.
I'm in a similar spot though I don't care too much for Zard's return. The only newcomers that interested me at all were Robin and Jr. until I found out he doesn't fight with his brush outside of the Final Smash. Sm4sh is easily the most popularity based game when it comes to newcomers.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Only reason why I go back to Brawl is for the stuff that isn't in Smash 4 (stages, Subspace, Icies, Wolf and Snake). Still waiting for New Pork City 8 player.

Furret24

Smash Master
I play FG 1v1 every now and then but with the limited stage list, uninteresting characters and input lag, plus finding jerks or really bad players, it's not that much fun.
Use Anthers. Problem solved.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Use Anthers. Problem solved.
Eh, that's still online which I'm not too fond of. I plan on going to tournaments next year once I get my g2. If the creators of this game are actually nice people then maybe I'll get to go to those tournaments as my currently cut main.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Huh and here I thought Brawl was universally disliked because of its slower pace. Overall, I enjoy the game based on actual gameplay and the roster. I liked Melee's gameplay better, but Brawl had a beefier roster--I feel Smash 4 has a great balance of both for me and I'm a sucker for the HD graphics and better online mode. Smash 4 is definitely tops for me then a tie between Melee and Brawl then 64. Only been playing Brawl recently for Wolf, Snake, and Ice Climbers.

edit: phantom man phantom man I get really confused when I see your posts cause I immediately see Jigglypuff and think they're mine so I have a brief period of confusion like "when did I post that?" XD

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Is it me, or is it getting exciting around here?

I thought I was the only one who wanted that stage back. Way better than onett but according to a "leak", pirate ship will be the last returning stage. :(
I think there is such a thing as "too big"(totally not a Ridley joke:troll:)when it comes to stages. It wasn't a bad stage per se, just too big for SSBB(matches sometimes get drawn out there). I think stages that are as big as Hyrule Temple are good if one is looking for a pretty sizable stage, but that's just me.

To this day, I still put very little stock in these leaks that come out every week or so, no matter how convincing they might be.

Anyway, here's hoping that one of those placeholder slots belongs to our favorite furry pilot.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I have some pretty fond memories of Brawl and playing with friends. Free for alls with my college friends were so much fun, and I went virtually undefeated as Wolf for three years against them, but it was always a hell of a good time. I love playing Sm4sh with my little brothers and sister, but Brawl will always hold a special place for those memories and all the Wolf shenanigans. That's why I want Wolf to move forward into the next gen Smash, since my good ol memories can't.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Of course it is getting exciting. The ballot ended not too long ago and the only thing left is to wait until any confirmation of a direct or another update or stage from Sakurai himself. Once that happens, Our WOLFENS WILL FLY INTO HYPE. :wolf:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Wasn't wolf supposed to be in the game, but was deemed low priority? I keep hearing that yet no one has a source to it.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Speaking of Brawl, I actually liked that game, despite its differences from Melee. I had a heck of a time fighting in that game, especially with Sonic and Wolf. I don't care even about what others may say about Brawl, and I even liked the adventure mode as well.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Speaking of Brawl, I actually liked that game, despite its differences from Melee. I had a heck of a time fighting in that game, especially with Sonic and Wolf. I don't care even about what others may say about Brawl, and I even liked the adventure mode as well.
Didn't Sakurai say a few months ago that there may be DLC modes for the fans? One never knows, we might se a similar mode return.

I personally find that Smash gets better with each release. Every single game in this series is great and it pretty much does what a franchise should do, get better and better over time. Smash 64 is the weakest one, but it's still a lot of fun to play plus it's the only one with Board the Platforms (i hope it comes back someday). Melee improved upon everything Smash 64 had and Brawl basically did the same for Melee (at least to me) and Smash 4 once again, did the same with Brawl.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Sometimes it gets flak for not being like SSBM, but there's no denying that Brawl is still a good entry in the series. I still consider SSBB to be a fantastic game in its own right, despite its flaws.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sometimes it gets flak for not being like SSBM, but there's no denying that Brawl is still a good entry in the series. I still consider SSBB to be a fantastic game in its own right, despite its flaws.
Agreed. Not to mention, the roster was good for that game, too.

Furret24

Smash Master
So what are the odds Wolf is part of the possible three new characters coming.
I have a feeling there's going to be more than three more characters. They can add more at any time anyways.

Wolf is the only character I think is very likely.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
There are only 3 characters from Brawl who aren't currently in Smash 4(Unless you think Squirtle and Ivysaur are the problem).
Yeah, I know. Still, while the newcomers in Smash 4 weren't bad, they weren't that exciting for me as the newcomers were in Brawl. Something about the Smash 4 newcomers didn't seem to interest me somehow, except Megaman, Pacman and Shulk. The others were just okay to me.

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
Anyone having problems getting online? I was playing online and all suddenly it said "a communication error has occurred". Now I can't get back online. Fix this **** Sakurai or else no money for you. Keep getting kicked offline during a match.

Last edited:

Aviterius

Smash Cadet
Megaman and Little Mac got me pretty excited, having played their games when I was younger.
Robin was pretty interesting too because they're a tome user from Fire Emblem, which I happen to like quite a bit.
And Duck Hunt of course, but there wasn't a lot of time to be excited about that before the game got released.
Other than that though, nothing that really interested me either.

Furret24

Smash Master
Anyone having problems getting online? I was playing online and all suddenly it said "a communication error has occurred". Now I can't get back online
Same.

NEW UPDATE COMFIRMED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
A quick run down of why most people don't care for each newcomer, at least from my perspective and of course with bits of my opinion thrown in there. More can be said for each character both for and against them but it's a long list so I kept the points short.
:4greninja: Not significant to Pokemon in the same way the others were and is purely there to represent gen VI
:4littlemac: Retro character with not many people having played his game (especially the younger ones)
:4megaman:Similar problem to Mac but with far more people having played his games since he has so many. Also, he was an initial hype starter where as Sonic back in Brawl was a very late hype starter. Also, he lacks the 'first third party' status Sonic and Snake had.
:rosalina:Mario character that gained popularity from Galaxy and practically shoe horned into other games despite lacking relevance. Doesn't mean much since it's Mario but if you didn't care for her in Galaxy, odds are you don't care for her in any other game.
:4villager:Expected newcomer but you either need to enjoy his playstyle or his series to fully enjoy him and his playstyle is slow as are his games. Huh, how fitting.
:4wiifit:Added for the wtf value, kinda hard to be hyped about the 'joker' card of the deck if we are to compare the Smash roster to a deck of cards. It'd be similar if people got hyped over Pichu back in Melee but even he had a movie short.
:4palutena:Similar to Rosa, if you didn't care for her in Uprising, odds are you don't care for her at all.
:4mii:Not from any particular game so little connection to be made with them. Also less attractive appearance than the rest of the cast.
:4pacman:Don't care for his games or numerous Namco references, you probably won't care for him.
:4lucina:Gotta care for her in Awakening to care at all.
:4robinm:Same as Lucina.
:4shulk:Same as Lucina but replace Awakening with XC.
:4bowserjr:Another Mario character and one with less significance than the classic four. Also, Koopalings.
:4darkpit:Look at Palutena.
:4duckhunt:Look at Mac.
:4ryu:If you don't enjoy SF or Ryu in SF, probably won't care for him.

As for the lack of online, I'm not going to test but maybe Nintendo is fixing Diddy. The Mewtwo fix came pretty shortly after he came out.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Anyone having problems getting online? I was playing online and all suddenly it said "a communication error has occurred". Now I can't get back online. Fix this **** Sakurai or else no money for you. Keep getting kicked offline during a match.
Not just you. I am having the same problem as well.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Yeah, I know. Still, while the newcomers in Smash 4 weren't bad, they weren't that exciting for me as the newcomers were in Brawl. Something about the Smash 4 newcomers didn't seem to interest me somehow, except Megaman, Pacman and Shulk. The others were just okay to me.
Well that could also be the fact that in Brawl, roughly 45% of the roster were Newcomers--so when 4 comes around, all of those newcomers who were in Brawl, are now veterans (or cut if you're Wolf, Snake, Icies, Ivysaur, or Squirtle). So now Newcomers take up a smaller percentage. I guess this is why some series "refresh" the roster by cutting half the characters and replacing them with new ones. But I don't see Smash doing that anytime soon and I hope it doesn't.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Once again, agreed. The roster for Smash 4 is a bit lacking compared to Brawl's.
Well, with DLC we can hopefully bridge that gap, because the only issue I see was certain characters being left behind that really shouldn't have been.

More new characters are always a plus, but I see what you mean. I found myself exclusively drawn to 2 newcomers, :4megaman:(because I love his series)and :4robinm:(I enjoyed using him in Awakening and he's the first non-swordsman in the cast). I tried out the others, but ultimately those two were the ones that just clicked with me.

Hmm. I had some comm issues with MH4U earlier.

....Is the internet breaking?

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Once again, agreed. The roster for Smash 4 is a bit lacking compared to Brawl's.
Yeah. I'm glad I'm not the only that noticed that. The overall newcomers and roster in Brawl is ages better than SM4SH's. It is a good normal mix of characters from many series and from different spectrums which made it more alluring than SM4SH's one. The latter being mostly with new characters and not as hype as with Brawl.

DLC is at least making a chage of that, but the 'vanilla-roster' just ISN'T cutting it for me.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
CannonStreak CannonStreak
I'm curios as to what you mean by Smash 4's roster lacking. Do you mean the roster as a whole? Or the newcomers? I just realized, it was one thing from Melee-Brawl when they cut :pichumelee::younglinkmelee::drmario::roymelee::mewtwomelee: (3 of them being clones, 1 a semi-clone) but Brawl-Sm4sh lost :wolf::snake::popo::squirtle::ivysaur: (all of which had unique movesets; DLC not included) so perhaps since those cuts were more severe, the roster is looked at much differently compared to Melee-Brawl.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
CannonStreak CannonStreak
I'm curios as to what you mean by Smash 4's roster lacking. Do you mean the roster as a whole? Or the newcomers? I just realized, it was one thing from Melee-Brawl when they cut :pichumelee::younglinkmelee::drmario::roymelee::mewtwomelee: (3 of them being clones, 1 a semi-clone) but Brawl-Sm4sh lost :wolf::snake::popo::squirtle::ivysaur: (all of which had unique movesets; DLC not included) so perhaps since those cuts were more severe, the roster is looked at much differently compared to Melee-Brawl.
You really must know? Though there are a few exceptions, I meant the newcomers mostly.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Newcomers Roster

Brawl:
:metaknight::snake::dedede::wolf::sonic::wario::diddy::olimar::ike::rob::toonlink::pt::lucario::zerosuitsamus::lucas::pit:

Sm4sh:
:4littlemac::4megaman::4robinm::4lucina::4shulk::4duckhunt::4darkpit::4greninja::4pacman::4palutena::4wiifit::4villager::4bowserjr::4ryu::4mii:
Desert fighters aside, I don't like Shulk, Palutena (probably spelled wrong) and WFT. While Shulk's neutral special is cool and interesting, he has a counter and BIG GIANT SWORD that HE SWINGS AROUND. I think his inclusion is where the whole "too many swordsman" came from (if not Lucina, of course). Palutena is just a really weird Zelda who, once again, has a counter, some warp ability and I have no idea how to use her. Wii Fit Trainer actually has a unique moveset and I can see people actually missing her if she was cut in a later iteration--but my complaint for her is the same complaint people mistaking give to the 3 complete clones--no one asked. For a guy who hates cutting characters, when Wii Fit Trainer is introduced, I begin to wonder what goes on. Lol sorry for hating, I just get really annoyed when Shulk kills me with that big a** sword of his!

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
So if my calculations are correct Wolf got a 74.25% in Chance and a 75.67% in Want. Edit the official results,
WOLF
CHANCE: 73.02%
WANT: 76.80%
I was off by a little, Anyway he is still the best chance, but now he is second in want. This is due 4 people giving him a 0 in want. Just posting these for fun,

Well oh well, I'm fine with Krool beating Wolf in Want.
Anyway about Brawl, I liked the roster way better than Smash 4, mainly due to all the fan favorites they added. Smash 4 just sort of lacked with only a few of the newcomers actually being highly requested. It just had way too many new characters (new as in created post 2008).

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Sm4sh is my favorite, hands down. The handling struck a good balance - not as fast and jittery as Melee, but not so far in the opposite direction as Brawl. I wasn't as enthused about as many of the newcomers as I was in past titles, but it's got all of my favorite characters from previous installments on the same roster together!
(well almost all of them...:wolf: but that's why we're all here isn't it?)

Edit:
So if my calculations are correct Wolf got a 74.25% in Chance and a 75.67% in Want. Edit the official results,
WOLF
CHANCE: 73.02%
WANT: 76.80%
I was off by a little, Anyway he is still the best chance, but now he is second in want. This is due 4 people giving him a 0 in want. Just posting these for fun,

Well oh well, I'm fine with Krool beating Wolf in Want.
Anyway about Brawl, I liked the roster way better than Smash 4, mainly due to all the fan favorites they added. Smash 4 just sort of lacked with only a few of the newcomers actually being highly requested. It just had way too many new characters (new as in created post 2008).
I see Wolf, Krystal, and Ridley so I'm happy ^^

Last edited:

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
I probably had too great expectations, but I was ready for a huge roster for Sm4sh. Panther, Krystal, and Wolf were all characters I wanted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom