• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

I really hope Sakurai wouldn't be such a douche as to make a highly requested veteran a costume. With newcomers, it's one thing, as they've never been in Smash before. Hearing the pleas of the fanbase of a cut character, then giving them a costume of that character, and a costume only, would be a major **** move.
Agreed. Especially as Wolf was more requested than Roy and arguably Lucas. But making a highly requested newcomer a costume isn't a good move either.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Agreed. Especially as Wolf was more requested than Roy and arguably Lucas. But making a highly requested newcomer a costume isn't a good move either.
K.Rool may have been one of the few legitimate popular characters however the arguments around him weren't as strong as his popularity, which to say it wasn't bad but had plenty going against also.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm doubtful we're getting a character in this patch. If they're just going to spend this update posting stuff through twitter, then a character update is unlikely.

However, we should datamine this patch I feel.

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
I'm doubtful we're getting a character in this patch. If they're just going to spend this update posting stuff through twitter, then a character update is unlikely.
Seems that way, although you never know when the next Direct (mini, game specific or normal) is due and they have randomly announced characters before. They may drop a video stream or something on the day also like how they did with Robin/Lucina/Falcon last year. Still likely we will get either a release or announcement prior to Smash Ballot ending.

Last edited:

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Wolf being a costume is worse than him not getting into the game for me, the Fox wolf skin is enough of a tease for me.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Wolf being a costume is worse than him not getting into the game for me, the Fox wolf skin is enough of a tease for me.
Marth had a Roy colour variation and Roy returned to the game. Although Ike has a Chrom Colour Variation and hes definitely not coming into the game so it works both ways =p

Same with Ness having Lucas' Specials, not enough to stop Lucas coming back himself.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Hey, I just got home from work and I heard everyone is making a big fuss around here about an update and ****. What I missed?

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Hey, I just got home from work and I heard everyone is making a big fuss around here about an update and ****. What I missed?
Page 175 should cover you

tl;dr - Touney mode, stages, some mii outfits. Unlikely new announce or release of characters. K Rool chances took a heavy blow elevating Wolf to Top position of combined popular and likelihood to be next DLC.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
After my random hype died out, I start to feel more worried about tomorrow's costumes.

Or maybe I'm just too hungry.

However, we should datamine this patch I feel.
Yeah, we finally have something to investigate on other than endless investigation of when the next direct will be. But we won't know is Sakurai became aware of leaking and hid all stuff future DLC away from the 1.1.0(?) update.

Tho it's confirmed, the modes and stages are just PR statements. We might not have any Smash directs in August. :/

----

Also I went to the Miiverse while Smashboard is backuping, thought there would be a ruckus about King K Rool in Japanese miiverse, but they are all about the Miiverse Renewal. DX

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Page 175 should cover you

tl;dr - Touney mode, stages, some mii outfits. Unlikely new announce or release of characters. K Rool chances took a heavy blow elevating Wolf to Top position of combined popular and likelihood to be next DLC.
Wow. Didn't expect any of that stuff to be available this early.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Wow. Didn't expect any of that stuff to be available this early.
Neither, consider we had a Vague 'August' window which usually means later than earlier.

After my random hype died out, I start to feel more worried about tomorrow's costumes.

Or maybe I'm just too hungry.

Yeah, we finally have something to investigate on other than endless investigation of when the next direct will be. But we won't know is Sakurai became aware of leaking and hid all stuff future DLC away from the 1.1.0(?) update.

Tho it's confirmed, the modes and stages are just PR statements. We might not have any Smash directs in August. :/

----

Also I went to the Miiverse while Smashboard is backuping, thought there would be a ruckus about King K Rool in Japanese miiverse, but they are all about the Miiverse Renewal. DX
The fact that there is no real/hard arguments or evidence currently and all the strong arguments for him is just far too large to ignore. As it's been mentioned a few times if we have SFZ release and Smash Ballot is over and still zero news, sure, start to worry. Right now there is nothing to actually worry over until we get news either way.

Wolfiv

Smash Journeyman
@ Tino Tino
@NonSpecificGuy

I said some started drama so don't get me wrong.
Everything about Wolf is covered but there literally was pure drama in this thread lately, which even I didn't like to post something about Wolf in between. Newcomers here would read that.
Being pessimistic won't help anyone, but how to be positive and optimistic about Wolf, either?

Now back to topic.
Yes, yes, I know Wolf has much more chances to appear as playable, now that we know K. K. Rool will be a costume. Sorry K. Rool fans. But the supposed direct not saying anything about new characters makes me worry a bit more.

If a Change petition made correctly and exclusively for here, and we spread the word in the absolute potential, we're pretty much done, and our voices heard. We will talk about this later in August.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Neither, consider we had a Vague 'August' window which usually means later than earlier.

The fact that there is no real/hard arguments or evidence currently and all the strong arguments for him is just far too large to ignore. As it's been mentioned a few times if we have SFZ release and Smash Ballot is over and still zero news, sure, start to worry. Right now there is nothing to actually worry over until we get news either way.
Yeah, but just:
  1. We probably have to wait another 2 months
  2. We don't even know if Wolf will become another costume
Can't say there's nothing to worry, especially, as you've mentioned, SFZ is coming and who knows that crazy Sakurai might release some costume related to it.
Yes, yes, I know Wolf has much more chances to appear as playable, now that we know K. K. Rool will be a costume. Sorry K. Rool fans. But the supposed direct not saying anything about new characters makes me worry a bit more.

If a Change petition made correctly and exclusively for here, and we spread the word in the absolute potential, we're pretty much done, and our voices heard. We will talk about this later in August.
We don't have a direct...

also why talking about Change petitions again? Though I think the K Rool fans are more likely to be doing so.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Yeah, especially all these stuff happened 1 day BEFORE August.

----

Just checked, even the English community was nothing but Miiverse Renewal comments.
Also checked the Miiverse redesign. Looks like they added a play journal, screenshot album and all that **** I don't a damn about since I don't use Miiverse very much.
Neither, consider we had a Vague 'August' window which usually means later than earlier..
So basically we won't be hearing anything about a new DLC character until after the ballot ends.
Too bad King K.Rool is now a Mii costume...but that's aight for me. No offense to any of you K.Rool fans in here.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Yeah, but just:
  1. We probably have to wait another 2 months
  2. We don't even know if Wolf will become another costume
Can't say there's nothing to worry, especially, as you've mentioned, SFZ is coming and who knows that crazy Sakurai might release some costume related to it.

We don't have a direct...

also why talking about Change petitions again? Though I think the K Rool fans are more likely to be doing so.
Also checked the Miiverse redesign. Looks like they added a play journal, screenshot album and all that **** I don't a damn about since I don't use Miiverse very much.

So basically we won't be hearing anything about a new DLC character until after the ballot ends.
Too bad King K.Rool is now a Mii costume...but that's aight for me. No offense to any of you K.Rool fans in here.
Not necessarily, at this point in time we really don't know when we can expect anything except at the latest with Smash Ballot and October. Could be anything in between. We got another day or two worth of costume reveals anywho.

Logo12

Smash Lord

They removed activity feed, which many Japanese user rely on to make awesome mangas. Also the 30-post-per-day stuff.

I really hope this is not what the ballot truly meant....

upload_2015-7-29_18-53-56.png

Turning them fighter, in a slightly different way...

(also again I'm hyped for K Rool becoming costume no offense but yeah)

Not necessarily, at this point in time we really don't know when we can expect anything except at the latest with Smash Ballot and October. Could be anything in between. We got another day or two worth of costume reveals anywho.
This is why we worry... right?

shane3x

Saint of Swords
They removed activity feed, which many Japanese user rely on to make awesome mangas. Also the 30-post-per-day stuff.

View attachment 64610

(also again I'm hyped for K Rool becoming costume no offense but yeah)

This is why we worry... right?
Unless you've got some inside source that says there will be a Mii Outfit based off Wolf not really, no.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
@ Tino Tino
@NonSpecificGuy

I said some started drama so don't get me wrong.
Everything about Wolf is covered but there literally was pure drama in this thread lately, which even I didn't like to post something about Wolf in between. Newcomers here would read that.
Being pessimistic won't help anyone, but how to be positive and optimistic about Wolf, either?

Now back to topic.

We already moved on from the soap opera hoo hah (no I ain't takin' bout :4diddy:) in here.
That's a good point right there, though I'm just gonna go with what we're getting on that new update. I'm more excited about those new stages coming out than I am with Tourney Mode.

View attachment 64610

I'm not gonna go that far until the ballot ends. I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Apparent Doctor Mario Stage Leak http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/304375986

We already moved on from the soap opera hoo hah (no I ain't takin' bout :4diddy:) in here.

That's a good point right there, though I'm just gonna go with what we're getting on that new update. I'm more excited about those new stages coming out than I am with Tourney Mode.

I'm not gonna go that far until the ballot ends. I'll just leave it at that.
I hope tournament mode allows for best of X for the matches and also round robin. Single elim best of 1 was something I enjoyed in the earlier games but not so much now myself.

That's a possibility, just sayin'.

Also I think we have a new meme-like thing.

View attachment 64615 (IM SO SORRY K ROOL FANS NO KILL PLZ)
It is, although if we go off what is theoretically possible you'll go crazy. So far all we have is that Wolf does not currently have a mii outfit, and that his fundamentals for his inclusion is strong and his popular is up there right at the top.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Maybe Wolf and K. Rool will be revealed as a surprise? Just throwing that out there.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Chances are, that is very unlikely.
Yeah. As mentioned on page 175 so far newcomer that has been revealed to have a mii outfit has gone on to become DLC. The only exception was meta knight, they showed his mii mask before the character the very next day however he's a veteran so I wouldn't say that would be the rule to be "trolling" from Nintendo on a regular basis.

Logo12

Smash Lord
It is, although if we go off what is theoretically possible you'll go crazy. So far all we have is that Wolf does not currently have a mii outfit, and that his fundamentals for his inclusion is strong and his popular is up there right at the top.
I mean, something as ridiculous as K Rool getting Mii Costume already happened...

Also that leak looks interesting.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
I mean, something as ridiculous as K Rool getting Mii Costume already happened...

Also that leak looks interesting.
If you asked anyone in the K. Rool thread for example if there was going to be a Mii Outfit for him they'd say you were trolling. Just because one thing happens, doesn't mean the same will happen to another character.

Point being, until there is something to worry about, don't. Be cautiously optimistic, but optimistic nonetheless.

Personally while I can appreciate K.Rool's popularity I don't thnk his fundamentals and arguments for his inclusion were any near as strong as Wolf's although it definitely was unexpected.

So far all we have is that Wolf does not currently have a mii outfit, and that his fundamentals for his inclusion is strong and his popular is up there right at the top.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I honestly don't know how I would feel if Wolf was given a Costume treatment.....
I mean K Rool and Isaac are my Number two most wanted for Smash since a long time now.
K Rool got one and Isaac might be next....
But let this be known. Sakurai stated he didn't want to make Dr Mario an alt because it would leave his fans from Melee out. IIR
So if Wolf is left just as Costume I won't know what to believe.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
I honestly don't know how I would feel if Wolf was given a Costume treatment.....
I mean K Rool and Isaac are my Number two most wanted for Smash since a long time now.
K Rool got one and Isaac might be next....
But let this be known. Sakurai stated he didn't want to make Dr Mario an alt because it would leave his fans from Melee out. IIR
So if Wolf is left just as Costume I won't know what to believe.
Doctor Mario initially started out as a Skin in Smash 4. I'm sure if it did happen it wouldn't look good, however I wouldn't worry about how you might feel or whether it will happen until and if it does. We can only focus on Wolf's current strength as the most likely DLC character 3rd party, newcomer or otherwise.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I feel so bad for the K. Rool fans. If Wolf had gotten the same treatment, I'd be flipping my ****, personally. However, this doesn't necessarily mean they're deconfirming him. Just look at the Link costume, and hey, at least he is in the game in some form. We'll just have to wait and see.

Personally, however, this just sent Wolf's chances through the roof, and THAT is all I really care about.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
One more thing guys.
The rough translation for this tweet is that there will be more content announced through out tomorrow as well. This could very well mean a Direct will be announced for the 31st, along with new characters. Now don't get your hopes to high, but they did do something similar with Ryu, and Roy.
You really mean more content will be announced tomorrow, or soon?

Logo12

Smash Lord
You really mean more content will be announced tomorrow, or soon?
今回のアップデートで追加されるMiiファイターコスチュームは本日ご紹介したものだけではありません! 明日も引き続き、本アカウントでご紹介いたしますので、お楽しみに!

Or is my translation ignored by all of you?

[おしらせ]7月31日(金)の午前に、WiiU版/3DS版のアップデートを実施いたします。 WiiU版の大会機能、リプレイ投稿機能に加え、有料追加コンテンツ(Miiファイターコスチューム、ステージ)の配信をいたします。

[News] On July 31 in the morning, the Wii U and 3DS version will receive updates. Wii U Tourney mode, Replay Uploading will be added, and paid additional content (Mii fighter costume, Stage) will be distributed.​

今回のアップデートで追加されるMiiファイターコスチュームは本日ご紹介したものだけではありません! 明日も引き続き、本アカウントでご紹介いたしますので、お楽しみに!

We haven't covered all Mii Fighter Costumes in this wave today yet! We'll continue tomorrow, to introduce more in this account. Have fun *insert Sakurai trollface*!​

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Or is my translation ignored by all of you?

[おしらせ]7月31日(金)の午前に、WiiU版/3DS版のアップデートを実施いたします。 WiiU版の大会機能、リプレイ投稿機能に加え、有料追加コンテンツ(Miiファイターコスチューム、ステージ)の配信をいたします。

[News] On July 31 in the morning, the Wii U and 3DS version will receive updates. Wii U Tourney mode, Replay Uploading will be added, and paid additional content (Mii fighter costume, Stage) will be distributed.​

We haven't covered all Mii Fighter Costumes in this wave today yet! We'll continue tomorrow, to introduce more in this account. Have fun *insert Sakurai trollface*!​
So, there won't be any new characters revealed?

Last edited:

CaptainJimmBob

Smash Journeyman
Not likely.
Why in the world would Sakurai go "Oh hey guys we are gonna reveal a bunch of characters tomorrow guys!"

To my knowledge that has only happened once, back when Falcon, Lucina, and Robin were announced. I would try to keep it a surprise if I was Sakurai.

Anyway, who ever said that Mii Fighters cannot become DLC characters? We have characters in game that have costumes. But you guys are saying that exclusively DLC characters can only be either Mii or characters? Where was this said? When did anyone with authority in Smash Bros say "Mii Fighters cannot be DLC characters."

Does this hurt King K. Rool? Yes. Would I say it is definite that he is not gonna be in? No. What if they surprised us with Chrom revealed too.... nah that won't happen. Anyway, Meta Knight had a Mii Fighter that was revealed before he was. I really think K. Rool and Chrom fans (do such things exist still?) don't have as much to worry about as everyone makes it out to be.

Let's assume that this means they are not gonna be fighters. This probably means they were not the most popular. We know King K. Rool was popular and if I recall correctly Chrom is extremely popular in Japan, but maybe they did not get the most votes.

Guess who probably did? Snake and Wolf.

Even if King K. Rool is a character, this at least raises optimism for Wolf.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Why in the world would Sakurai go "Oh hey guys we are gonna reveal a bunch of characters tomorrow guys!"

To my knowledge that has only happened once, back when Falcon, Lucina, and Robin were announced. I would try to keep it a surprise if I was Sakurai.

Anyway, who ever said that Mii Fighters cannot become DLC characters? We have characters in game that have costumes. But you guys are saying that exclusively DLC characters can only be either Mii or characters? Where was this said? When did anyone with authority in Smash Bros say "Mii Fighters cannot be DLC characters."

Does this hurt King K. Rool? Yes. Would I say it is definite that he is not gonna be in? No. What if they surprised us with Chrom revealed too.... nah that won't happen. Anyway, Meta Knight had a Mii Fighter that was revealed before he was. I really think K. Rool and Chrom fans (do such things exist still?) don't have as much to worry about as everyone makes it out to be.

Let's assume that this means they are not gonna be fighters. This probably means they were not the most popular. We know King K. Rool was popular and if I recall correctly Chrom is extremely popular in Japan, but maybe they did not get the most votes.

I'm a Chrom fan...

shane3x

Saint of Swords
I feel so bad for the K. Rool fans. If Wolf had gotten the same treatment, I'd be flipping my ****, personally. However, this doesn't necessarily mean they're deconfirming him. Just look at the Link costume, and hey, at least he is in the game in some form. We'll just have to wait and see.

Personally, however, this just sent Wolf's chances through the roof, and THAT is all I really care about.
Wolf and K.Rool have different fundamentals. Wolf has already been a character in Smash. All but one DLC character have been Veterans so far. K.Rool would be a good addition to make DK have as many characters as Kirby (DK is the biggger franchise but thats just Sakurai Bias) and be the villian rep however he hasnt been relevant in a long time.

No, we wouldn't be happy if Wolf happened to end up a costume however for a character who was in a previous game to be reduced to a mere costume would be the biggest insult of all time, there just isnt any precedent for it. If Doctor Mario who started out as a skin for Smash 4 surely Wolf can come back.

Link was already confirmed and his costume for Mii came later. So far no new comer who has become mii outfit content has not become a DLC character. Of course that could change however so far based on the Pre-E3 update it appears Mii outfits also count as representation even if they do not have a DLC character.

Wolf already was essentially equal top tier with K.Rool but yes it does help for sure.

Nobody, but as I mentioned just above Mii outfits are sufficient as representation for a series and character as far as Sakurai is concerned as to date no newcomer who has appeared as a Mii outfit first has then gone on to become DLC.

MK is a veteran and a Kirby Character, there is zero chance Sakurai would cut him to make him a Mii outfit instead hence the trolling he did with it because it was never going to happen. Chrom wasn't going to happen as referenced in Source gaming already that Sakurai didn't like how he turned out because he was 'Just another swordsman similar to Ike/Marth'. Chrom having an outfit just further cements the fact he isnt going to happen. Fire Emblem has 5 reps which apparently to some is "too much" and as someone who has played thousands of hours between all games in the series even I would not put money down to say FE would get anymore DLC.

Linking this again pertaining Link, Meta Knight outfits:

Etika finally has an agreeable point, but maybe it's because he's not against us he changed his name. lol
This too.

Last edited:

CaptainJimmBob

Smash Journeyman
Wolf and K.Rool have different fundamentals. Wolf has already been a character in Smash. All but one DLC character have been Veterans so far. K.Rool would be a good addition to make DK have as many characters as Kirby (DK is the biggger franchise but thats just Sakurai Bias) and be the villian rep however he hasnt been relevant in a long time.

No, we wouldn't be happy if Wolf happened to end up a costume however for a character who was in a previous game to be reduced to a mere costume would be the biggest insult of all time, there just isnt any precedent for it. If Doctor Mario who started out as a skin for Smash 4 surely Wolf can come back.

Link was already confirmed and his costume for Mii came later. So far no new comer who has become mii outfit content has not become a DLC character. Of course that could change however so far based on the Pre-E3 update it appears Mii outfits also count as representation even if they do not have a DLC character.

Wolf already was essentially equal top tier with K.Rool but yes it does help for sure.

Nobody, but as I mentioned just above Mii outfits are sufficient as representation for a series and character as far as Sakurai is concerned as to date no newcomer who has appeared as a Mii outfit first has then gone on to become DLC.

MK is a veteran and a Kirby Character, there is zero chance Sakurai would cut him to make him a Mii outfit instead hence the trolling he did with it because it was never going to happen. Chrom wasn't going to happen as referenced in Source gaming already that Sakurai didn't like how he turned out because he was 'Just another swordsman similar to Ike/Marth'. Chrom having an outfit just further cements the fact he isnt going to happen. Fire Emblem has 5 reps which apparently to some is "too much" and as someone who has played thousands of hours between all games in the series even I would not put money down to say FE would get anymore DLC.

This too.
All of the characters that have been DLC have been veterans, except for Ryu. How would you know that costumes = not DLC?

Also I did not say Chrom is gonna happen, just joking around.

We have to wait and see. This all seems really strange how they are just like "Ok this stuff is coming in 2 days, k bye."

shane3x

Saint of Swords
All of the characters that have been DLC have been veterans, except for Ryu.
All but one DLC character have been Veterans so far
Yes, as I mentioned already.

How would you know that costumes = not DLC?
As logo/Etika pointed out most of the Mii outfits and hats already existed in the 3DS Mii Plaza years ago and were easily ported. K.Rool is a new mii outfit which means they put in the effort to develop this content. Plenty of Mii outfits are used to represent characters and series.

How would you know that costumes = not DLC?
... I mentioned just above Mii outfits are sufficient as representation for a series and character as far as Sakurai is concerned as to date no newcomer who has appeared as a Mii outfit first has then gone on to become DLC.
Anything could theoretically happen. However we have precedent as quoted.

We have to wait and see. This all seems really strange how they are just like "Ok this stuff is coming in 2 days, k bye."
They probably want to keep things on the down low in terms of production value of marketing. With Iwata's passing Direct's in general is up in the air especially considering they have no president. I wouldn't blame anyone for not making an update video and just announced it via twitter and such. It's not the first time they've announced content via twitter and other social media.

They probably are doing their best to also keep characters a surprise so they might just drop a character video on Friday/Saturday. Who knows.

Last edited:
Top Bottom