• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

lightdasher

Smash Lord

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I was talking about Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia. I wasn't saying they stood a chance. I was saying that people think those characters are likely (I don't see an unimportant third party character or secondary characters making it in Smash)
But I have heard some people rule out the Ice Climbers because of technical difficulties. Even though Sakurai said that it was impossible to make Mewtwo happen because it wasn't possible to port Melee data to Smash 4, now look what happened. Same for the Ice Climbers, same could go for Ridley.
Ah sorry. Misinterpreted. My bad :/

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
edit: sorry to double post. just reallised that i did it without thinking :/
Would have preferred Medusa or Hades. Dark Pit just added insult to injury after the Dark Samus ALT was revealed. He'll probably be the first to hit the cutting room floor in the next game.
TBH I prefer having Dark Pit separate from Pit as opposed to an alt as Dark Pit using the great sacred treasures makes literally zero sense, while Dark Samus using Samus' moves is at least believable.

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord
edit: sorry to double post. just reallised that i did it without thinking :/

TBH I prefer having Dark Pit separate from Pit as opposed to an alt as Dark Pit using the great sacred treasures makes literally zero sense, while Dark Samus using Samus' moves is at least believable.
But Alph using Olimars space ship, koopalings turning into shadow mario, Ness using PK Starstorm and Falco using the landmaster are all perfectly fine?

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I feel that Snake's codec call for the Ice Climbers helps give depth to their importance and in a way describes our struggle.

*ring* *ring*
Snake: So those two are the Ice Climbers, huh?
Mei Ling: Snake, have you ever heard of a "blood bond"?
Snake: Sure.
Mei Ling: It refers to a bond between two people that's so strong they'd die for each other. The Ice Climbers have conquered frozen glaciers and dangerous mountaintops together. I think they've formed a bond that we can't even fathom.
Snake: I dunno. Seems to me they'd get in each other's way fighting to see who gets to the top first.
Mei Ling: Snake, in China they say, "Though brothers may quarrel at home, outside they defend each other from slight."
Snake: Is that really a Chinese proverb?
Mei Ling: Even though they may get in each other's way occasionally, they'll pull together in times of need. They're an inseparable team, Snake. Don't underestimate them!

It also goes against the idea of making a solo Ice Climber playable instead of a duo. While I'd be okay with it if it were a very last resort IF they can't make it as a duo, I have a feeling that the team will be able to persevere and get them up and running on both versions. Also take into account that Mewtwo and Lucas were based purely on fan demand and were not influenced by the ballot. This could be the same case for characters like ICies and Wolf which should be way too obvious that these are characters we want. I would be baffled if this was not the case for Ice Climbers and the ballot was the main thing that got our point across. Nintendo listens to us, they just have a very weird way of showing it.

Burruni

Smash Hero
But Alph using Olimars space ship, koopalings turning into shadow mario, Ness using PK Starstorm and Falco using the landmaster are all perfectly fine?
The Drake doesn't really share the shape of the Dolphin in terms of trying to reprogram how it would look for an alt. However, nothing STOPS Alph from piloting it.
The Koopalings would all be able to turn into Shadow Mario if given E. Gadd's brush.
Ness as a representative of Earthbound, it makes sense that he'd have Starstorm as the ultimate attack. :4robinm: doesn't normally have access to Nosferatu either but the representation gave a bit more value than strict canon.
Falco using Landmaster is lackluster on the grounds that it isn't a skinover of :4zss:'s ship as an Arwing, but it isn't wrong for him to, just a bit awkward.
:4jigglypuff: still has the worst "thematic" final smash, though with the only redeeming factor is the Bridge of Eldin glitch for humor factor.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
The Drake doesn't really share the shape of the Dolphin in terms of trying to reprogram how it would look for an alt. However, nothing STOPS Alph from piloting it.
The Koopalings would all be able to turn into Shadow Mario if given E. Gadd's brush.
Ness as a representative of Earthbound, it makes sense that he'd have Starstorm as the ultimate attack. :4robinm: doesn't normally have access to Nosferatu either but the representation gave a bit more value than strict canon.
Falco using Landmaster is lackluster on the grounds that it isn't a skinover of :4zss:'s ship as an Arwing, but it isn't wrong for him to, just a bit awkward.
:4jigglypuff: still has the worst "thematic" final smash, though with the only redeeming factor is the Bridge of Eldin glitch for humor factor.
Then nothings stopping Dark Pit from using the 3 sacred treasures

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So I found an old video that I just discovered yesterday in memory of the missing characters from vanilla Smash 4. This was before any DLC was announced. We have 2 of them so far but the feels are still strong.
I've seen this one before. The feels...

Burruni

Smash Hero
Then nothings stopping Dark Pit from using the 3 sacred treasures
And nothing stops him from not using them.
The koopalings and alph are still alternate costumes, not their own characters.
Ness has his as a representation of Mother as a whole for his specials. The biggest shame is no PK love at all.
Falco's is something lackluster, fully agreed.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
And nothing stops him from not using them.
The koopalings and alph are still alternate costumes, not their own characters.
Ness has his as a representation of Mother as a whole for his specials. The biggest shame is no PK love at all.
Falco's is something lackluster, fully agreed.
Isn't PK Love what Lucas uses? I saw that somewhere, but never borne red to confirm it for myself...

Meanwhile I'm definately going to try to do something for the ICies Ballot campaign, though it may not be for a while since my birthday is coming up soon.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
, but there is no reason that Falco shouldn't be using one of the major Star Fox vehicles (as it is safe to assume that piloting it would have been part of the character's training), for all we know the Koopalings could have borrowed Bowser Jr.s transformation mask before the match (which isn't as difficult as it seems due to them being siblings - about 500 times easier than getting Palutena to lend Dark Pit the three sacred treasures) and Ness may have been taught how to use PK Starstorm between the events of Earthbound and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Unlike these situations, it is impossible that Dark Pit could have ever used the three sacred treasures because of the fact that the originals are actually destroyed before Kid Icarus: Uprising came to a climax, and Dyntos certainly would have not crafted a new set for Dark Pit to use as he only gave the opportunity for Pit/Palutena to obtain the great sacred treasure (and, by extention, any weapon with the power of the three sacred treasures or higher) if Pit were to successfully fight through a large number of the bosses from the game, which would not have been canonically possible without Palutena due to her a: being one of the bosses, b: the powers which are granted to Pit only by her (or, when she was possessed by the Chaos Kin, Viridi's) presence - neither of which Dark Pit would have had when he went to visit Dyntos due to his lone wolf nature - that, for storytelling purposes, are "necessary" to Pit's success, and c: her smooth talking (i.e. flirtin - this goes both ways) being what attracted Dyntos into giving them a chance in the first place. Therefore, it would be impossible for Dark Pit to obtain a set for use in Smash through a long set of story strings that are centered around Dyntos.
Meanwhile I'm definately going to try to do something for the ICies Ballot campaign
What are you planning?

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
But Ness was planned to have PK Starstorm in Smash 64 before final smashes were cut.
If they had been in SSB64, it would have been between the events of Earthbound and SSB64. Just substitute SSBB for SSB64 :]

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
, but there is no reason that Falco shouldn't be using one of the major Star Fox vehicles (as it is safe to assume that piloting it would have been part of the character's training), for all we know the Koopalings could have borrowed Bowser Jr.s transformation mask before the match (which isn't as difficult as it seems due to them being siblings - about 500 times easier than getting Palutena to lend Dark Pit the three sacred treasures) and Ness may have been taught how to use PK Starstorm between the events of Earthbound and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Unlike these situations, it is impossible that Dark Pit could have ever used the three sacred treasures because of the fact that the originals are actually destroyed before Kid Icarus: Uprising came to a climax, and Dyntos certainly would have not crafted a new set for Dark Pit to use as he only gave the opportunity for Pit/Palutena to obtain the great sacred treasure (and, by extention, any weapon with the power of the three sacred treasures or higher) if Pit were to successfully fight through a large number of the bosses from the game, which would not have been canonically possible without Palutena due to her a: being one of the bosses, b: the powers which are granted to Pit only by her (or, when she was possessed by the Chaos Kin, Viridi's) presence - neither of which Dark Pit would have had when he went to visit Dyntos due to his lone wolf nature - that, for storytelling purposes, are "necessary" to Pit's success, and c: her smooth talking (i.e. flirtin - this goes both ways) being what attracted Dyntos into giving them a chance in the first place. Therefore, it would be impossible for Dark Pit to obtain a set for use in Smash through a long set of story strings that are centered around Dyntos.

What are you planning?
Dunno yet. Just a little something. ICies and "Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot" logo somewhere in the picture, that's all I've got. Feel free to give me some ideas guys.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Dunno yet. Just a little something. ICies and "Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot" logo somewhere in the picture, that's all I've got. Feel free to give me some ideas guys.
I suggest having an iceberg/ice mountain in the background, provided there will be one.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I suggest having an iceberg/ice mountain in the background, provided there will be one.
I could do that. I was thinking of having an all orange background like the Smash Ballot, but that's not a bad idea either.

Would anyone be able to get me a picture of the ICies victory high five in their Brawl incarnations???

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
That'll do. Thanks lightdasher. Once I get the time I'll try to get something done. I've got a load of schoolwork this week and my birthday this weekend (we're celebrating it, it's not till Tuesday). Should have something done by mid May.

Only thing I don't like is that R.O.B. is in the loser's spot in those pictures...

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
So happy to see this thread gaining momentum again. Thanks, Smash Ballot!

I voted for them (and Snake, yesplz) and I really hope at least one of those two makes it in. Ice Climbers were one of the first new comers I played in Melee and they have a special significance to me. I played Melee and Brawl a couple of months ago and played Ice Climbers. Those two games feel so weird after playing Smash4 so much.

If someone makes a not-huge banner for Ice Climbers, I'd so put it in my sig.

EDIT:
lightdasher said:
Check out where Ice Climbers place on this "most wanted cut veteran" http://i.imgur.com/oOrpdMR.png
Mewtwo #1, and he got in.
Ice Climbers #2...
Snake #3...
Lucas #4, he will be in the game.

Good taste, voters. :shades: I feel like the choices for more DLC are obvious :shades: You gotta fill in the space between Mewtwo and Lucas, Sakurai, c'mon. :shades:

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So happy to see this thread gaining momentum again. Thanks, Smash Ballot!

I voted for them (and Snake, yesplz) and I really hope at least one of those two makes it in. Ice Climbers were one of the first new comers I played in Melee and they have a special significance to me. I played Melee and Brawl a couple of months ago and played Ice Climbers. Those two games feel so weird after playing Smash4 so much.

If someone makes a not-huge banner for Ice Climbers, I'd so put it in my sig.

EDIT:

Mewtwo #1, and he got in.
Ice Climbers #2...
Snake #3...
Lucas #4, he will be in the game.

Good taste, voters. :shades: I feel like the choices for more DLC are obvious :shades: You gotta fill in the space between Mewtwo and Lucas, Sakurai, c'mon. :shades:
Lol, I'm working on a little something for ICies. But I'll agree, the gap needs to be filled, because we need ICies back and I wouldn't mind Snake either.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I'm working on a little something for ICies. But I'll agree, the gap needs to be filled, because we need ICies back and I wouldn't mind Snake either.
I've noted that when it comes to returning veterans, people tend to have weird (and negative) opinions about IC and Snake. IC are viewed as impossible and Snake as a "one-time guest." Wolf, on the other hand, appears to be a shoo-in and even Roy has been getting a lot more support as of late with that Roy/Ryu thing.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I've noted that when it comes to returning veterans, people tend to have weird (and negative) opinions about IC and Snake. IC are viewed as impossible and Snake as a "one-time guest." Wolf, on the other hand, appears to be a shoo-in and even Roy has been getting a lot more support as of late with that Roy/Ryu thing.
Their stance it seems:
Ice Climbers and Snake: individual characters with their own emblem representation in Smash. Completely unique movesets. Due to their cuts, representation for Ice Climber and Metal Gear Solid are wiped from the roster entirely. People don't expect ICies to return this game and never again for Snake.
Wolf and Roy: have back up characters to represent their franchises. Both considered as clones, but more so Roy. Some people see Wolf as a shoe-in so they don't vote for him believing he's gonna be in anyway and expect Roy because of a potential leak that's insufficient IMO.

My stance: Ice Climbers should definitely be doable even as a duo due to no strict deadlines and high fan demand and outcry. If Konami is willing, they can work some things in to put Snake in Smash, though I'm a bit unsure about his eligibility since he's from an M rated game and Smash 4's rating dropped from T to E 10+. Wolf seems extremely likely to me, but just like what the Wolf support thread said, no character is a shoe-in and every vote matters. I don't buy the Ryu and Roy leak. I'm not declaring it fake, but it seems outlandish to me. While I liked Roy in Melee, and was glad to see him in Project M, I don't see him coming back with Lucina as a clone unless Roy gets a moveset makeover which will take even longer to implement.

EDIT: So some news has been popping up regarding Sakurai's views on DLC and he talks about the idea in making DLC in larger quantities. http://www.vcpost.com/articles/6043...-u-3ds-update-sakurai-hints-upcoming-dlcs.htm This may leave many fanbases for certain characters really excited, making it pretty much fair game for just about everyone getting their favorite characters in. With the way things have been going especially with the ballot, Ice Climbers seem like a sure fire thing. Sakurai is really going all out with DLC and continues to push on to please all the fans, the poor thing. I hope his approach is also a healthy approach.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sniff. that was heavy. Felt like Snow White's ending.
It's actually from another Disney movie called "The Fox and the Hound". I watched that one a lot. Boy was that a good movie...

Their stance it seems:
Ice Climbers and Snake: individual characters with their own emblem representation in Smash. Completely unique movesets. Due to their cuts, representation for Ice Climber and Metal Gear Solid are wiped from the roster entirely. People don't expect ICies to return this game and never again for Snake.
Wolf and Roy: have back up characters to represent their franchises. Both considered as clones, but more so Roy. Some people see Wolf as a shoe-in so they don't vote for him believing he's gonna be in anyway and expect Roy because of a potential leak that's insufficient IMO.

My stance: Ice Climbers should definitely be doable even as a duo due to no strict deadlines and high fan demand and outcry. If Konami is willing, they can work some things in to put Snake in Smash, though I'm a bit unsure about his eligibility since he's from an M rated game and Smash 4's rating dropped from T to E 10+. Wolf seems extremely likely to me, but just like what the Wolf support thread said, no character is a shoe-in and every vote matters. I don't buy the Ryu and Roy leak. I'm not declaring it fake, but it seems outlandish to me. While I liked Roy in Melee, and was glad to see him in Project M, I don't see him coming back with Lucina as a clone unless Roy gets a moveset makeover which will take even longer to implement.

EDIT: So some news has been popping up regarding Sakurai's views on DLC and he talks about the idea in making DLC in larger quantities. http://www.vcpost.com/articles/6043...-u-3ds-update-sakurai-hints-upcoming-dlcs.htm This may leave many fanbases for certain characters really excited, making it pretty much fair game for just about everyone getting their favorite characters in. With the way things have been going especially with the ballot, Ice Climbers seem like a sure fire thing. Sakurai is really going all out with DLC and continues to push on to please all the fans, the poor thing. I hope his approach is also a healthy approach.
Geez. I want DLC sure but we can't kill the guy! As soon as they implement whoever from the Ballot that they're going to take out, Sakurai deserves a good long break. Then we can go into more DLC if Sakurai feels like doing so. But he's gonna need a break sometime within the next year.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I was just thinking, if Ice Climbers do make it into DLC, I wonder how scarce their amiibo would be.
They're making amiibos of Mewtwo and Lucas. There'll probably be ICies amiibos produced in a good quantity.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
It's actually from another Disney movie called "The Fox and the Hound". I watched that one a lot. Boy was that a good movie...

Geez. I want DLC sure but we can't kill the guy! As soon as they implement whoever from the Ballot that they're going to take out, Sakurai deserves a good long break. Then we can go into more DLC if Sakurai feels like doing so. But he's gonna need a break sometime within the next year.
It amazes me how he can just keep pushing onward. I worry about him. I'm not even asking for much in terms of character DLC. Just Ice Climbers (top of the top priority, they are a must plz plz plz), Wolf, and Isaac. If they were open to stage DLC, I would love for there to be a Poké Floats 2.
I was just thinking, if Ice Climbers do make it into DLC, I wonder how scarce their amiibo would be.
It's already sold out.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, yeah, glad to see I'm not the only one concerned with Sakurai's health (and possibly some other co-leaders under Sakurai). I guess I'm kinda comfortable hyping over Ice Climbers for a good while. And plus, you know, I wouldn't want Smash Bros to take over my life too much haha! I also feel like if Sakurai continues to push too hard, he may simply be unable to lead the development of the game--which could be bad. I mean, it isn't certain that it'd be bad but it might mess with the success of Smash Bros overall.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope that most of us can get what we want without indirectly killing or injuring anybody on the smash team. ^^'

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Well, Sakurai said himself why Ice Climbers were cut. Techical limitations. I'm sure everyone would love to have them back if Sakurai can find a way to make them work. As for Snake, I honestly wasn't sad to see him cut. He just didn't fit in with the rest of the characters. I don't know how to put it, but it definitely has something to do with his M rating.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Well, Sakurai said himself why Ice Climbers were cut. Techical limitations. I'm sure everyone would love to have them back if Sakurai can find a way to make them work. As for Snake, I honestly wasn't sad to see him cut. He just didn't fit in with the rest of the characters. I don't know how to put it, but it definitely has something to do with his M rating.
The low priority, I think, was what killed them more than technical limitations. If the legacy duo characters were Diddy and Dixie instead of the Ice Climbers, I'm pretty sure that by Jove they would've found some way to make them work or change them or something. Sakurai said (I'm paraphrasing, obvs) that since their franchise has no future and they were low priority, they decided to stop working on it. But I'm not sure that it would have been impossible to get them to work on the 3DS. It sounds like they stopped working on them not because it looked like it couldn't be dune, but because they decided the IC weren't worth the effort. (that was the true heart-breaking part *weeps quietly*)

I know some people feel that way about Snake, but I thought he fit in just fine. *shrug* Plus, without him Smash can't fill its skin-tight leopard suit quota. :denzel:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
The low priority, I think, was what killed them more than technical limitations. If the legacy duo characters were Diddy and Dixie instead of the Ice Climbers, I'm pretty sure that by Jove they would've found some way to make them work or change them or something. Sakurai said (I'm paraphrasing, obvs) that since their franchise has no future and they were low priority, they decided to stop working on it. But I'm not sure that it would have been impossible to get them to work on the 3DS. It sounds like they stopped working on them not because it looked like it couldn't be dune, but because they decided the IC weren't worth the effort. (that was the true heart-breaking part *weeps quietly*)

I know some people feel that way about Snake, but I thought he fit in just fine. *shrug* Plus, without him Smash can't fill its skin-tight leopard suit quota. :denzel:
No, he mentioned "low priority" because they nearly couldn't have cut characters like Bowser for any technical reason, cause they are high priority.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Honestly, yeah, glad to see I'm not the only one concerned with Sakurai's health (and possibly some other co-leaders under Sakurai). I guess I'm kinda comfortable hyping over Ice Climbers for a good while. And plus, you know, I wouldn't want Smash Bros to take over my life too much haha! I also feel like if Sakurai continues to push too hard, he may simply be unable to lead the development of the game--which could be bad. I mean, it isn't certain that it'd be bad but it might mess with the success of Smash Bros overall.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope that most of us can get what we want without indirectly killing or injuring anybody on the smash team. ^^'
That'd be the best thing to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom