• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
They were working perfectly on the wii u, which implies that they worked for 8 player smash. The reason that the mirror didn't work was because it had to directly mirror what was going on in front of it, which is much more taxing on the system than having 16 loosely mirrored characters. Of course, the mirror + IC would burn out ur wii u, but they should work perfectly without it ;P
We don't know when 8 player smash was implemented along with when the iceies were scrapped. We can assume one way or another but we can't be sure. Like others have mentioned even the rigging for some characters and their shadows get changed a bit so it can work. I imagine an 8 player ice climber battle would almost never happen unless you wanted to see if it could handle it. 8 player smash with the wind bellows item only would be so harsh on the poor Wii U lol. Its possible it is just more of a headache and hassle for them if anything.
u mean the new 3ds? *laughs nervously because the New 3DS doesn't necessarily guarantee Ice Climbers*
Eh the New 3DS seems like a system variation more so then a new system... A new system cant be too far along on the handheld side- a couple more years or so probably.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Everyone prepare.
Today, they rate Quote in the Rate their chances thread. But tomorrow, they rate our Ice Climbing duo themselves. If you can (and of course feel like it), head over to the Rate their chances thread tomorrow on Day 16 to rate the Ice Climbers in chance and want.

That is all, just a public service announcement I guess...

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Would anyone mind if/when icies return, Nana is blonde?
idk. I kinda like the idea of just giving credz to the Inuit culture by having them both be brownish with dark hair, but repping interracial friendship/love/etc would be adorable as well. Or just diversity of any kind, you know?

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind at all, in fact, I think her being blonde would be a really nice and unique touch, would differentiate her more from Popo and would also be a nod to the past. But I don't see her being changed after having brown hair all these years.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
idk. I kinda like the idea of just giving credz to the Inuit culture by having them both be brownish with dark hair, but repping interracial friendship/love/etc would be adorable as well. Or just diversity of any kind, you know?
Them being inuit is a strange thing to pull out and doesn't really have anything to do with Nana having blonde hair.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Them being inuit is a strange thing to pull out and doesn't really have anything to do with Nana having blonde hair.
How many blonde Inuit peoples do you know of? They are very rare. It'd kinda be cute, but I don't see where you're getting at--as though it's common to see blonde Inuits? Kinda seems like a really white-washed way to rep different cultures by giving them appropriate clothing but making them have really light skin and blonde hair. They already have the skin thing down too. The hair would be the final straw. But I guess it's not made clear that they're actually Inuit--if that's what you're trying to say (you did not clarify). In that case, well I can't argue there because it isn't necessarily possible to prove that they're Inuit. I wonder if it says anything in the manual.

If you were here a few pages ago we were talking about ideas for an Ice Climbers reboot, so I'm guessing you weren't here for that since we brought this up earlier. Some of us said it'd be nice if Nintendo repped other cultures, instead of almost every protagonist being of European descent or of Japanese descent. Not support character. Protagonist.

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord
How many blonde Inuit peoples do you know of? They are very rare. It'd kinda be cute, but I don't see where you're getting at--as though it's common to see blonde Inuits? Kinda seems like a really white-washed way to rep different cultures by giving them appropriate clothing but making them have really light skin and blonde hair.
How many blue hedgehogs do you know of? How many giant fire breathing turtles do you know of? How many talking Foxes do you know of? How many elves do you know off?

I think you've got the wrong idea about what smash is or at least how the characters are represented, it's not about representing cultures and races, it's representing Nintendos history, if this was an Ice Climber game then it'd be different

I wonder if it says anything in the manual.
I'll check for you though.

EDIT: No it just tells you the objective and how to play, basic stuff like that.
EDIT2: Hah, it refers to extra lifes as "extra man"
EDIT3: In the American one, I had to look this up, it says this
It's only you and an ice hammer as you make your way to the top
of the mountain! If you can break through 8 levels of treacherous
arctic ice, you'll reach the top of the mountain. But watch out - the
Nitpicker, condors and Polar Bears don't want you up there. And
they've got a bag of tricks that will block your rise to the top.
There are 32 challenging peaks to scale - face them alone or
with a friend.

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
How many blue hedgehogs do you know of? How many giant fire breathing turtles do you know of? How many talking Foxes do you know of? How many elves do you know off?
When I was 6 the school bully used blue hairspray to colour a poor hedgehog blue. God that guy was a ****.
EDIT2: Hah, it refers to extra lifes as "extra man"
THAT'S SEXIST

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well it probably based off of their box art mixed with their sprites and a bit of redesigning. I mean the NES era box arts aren't always the best place for faithful character designs to the original artist's intentions especially the localized box arts. This isn't as big of a thing as bringing NES box art mega man in to replace mega man and I could see some of her recolors featuring blonde hair.

Also about the race discussion above- I think they just meant if a reboot happened and they were inuit. I agree that Smash's roster kinda shows the lack of representation for females and people of color in video games, but it is also a Japanese game studio so the culture is different and it isn't a hot subject over there. Also it should be first and foremost a celebration of Nintendo's history, so yes I'd love more female characters, but I don't want them at the expense of pushing aside characters who deserve to be in more. Besides, it is getting better as we got Little mac and a whole slew of female characters so *shrugs.* It is less of a Smash Bros thing than a political/gaming thing that should probably just be glossed over since it is off topic.

It'd only matter if they got a reboot and had some specific inspirations, but even then I could see them doing some palettes to reference blonde Nana.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I want to instill some hope in this thread, so here goes!
In the latest issue of Famitsu Sakurai addressed why the Ice Climbers would be absent from the title in his bi-weekly column. He revealed Popo and Nana didn't make the cut due to technical reasons regarding the 3DS version. Sakurai explains that the pair worked perfectly on the Wii U version but due to hardware power the two did not perform well on the handheld console.

Nintendo Life reports that while this problem most likely could have been fixed it wasn't a priority for Sakurai as the Ice Climbers really didn't need promotion since there are no real plans for the "Ice Climber" franchise. Furthermore since both games share the same characters it would be unfair to only have these characters in the Wii U version and absent from the 3DS.
:4link:: http://www.latintimes.com/super-sma...firms-no-ice-climbers-and-explains-why-262292

The bold section tells me that while there were technical limitations when initially programming the duo, there is hope for DLC, as there was a chance to fix these problems.

Also, is anyone else bothered by the fact that this is a series with "no future" and that's why it lacks priority. I mean, if it weren't for Sakurai himself, Kid Icarus would have no future. Does anyone see a sequel to Duck Hunt coming out any time soon (not trashing the Duck Hunt character, I actually like the Dog and Duck). Just saying, that seems like a bad way to prioritize a fighter if you ask me, considering that other characters also fit this bill.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
In the latest issue of Famitsu Sakurai addressed why the Ice Climbers would be absent from the title in his bi-weekly column. He revealed Popo and Nana didn't make the cut due to technical reasons regarding the 3DS version. Sakurai explains that the pair worked perfectly on the Wii U version but due to hardware power the two did not perform well on the handheld console.

Nintendo Life reports that while this problem most likely could have been fixed it wasn't a priority for Sakurai as the Ice Climbers really didn't need promotion since there are no real plans for the "Ice Climber" franchise. Furthermore since both games share the same characters it would be unfair to only have these characters in the Wii U version and absent from the 3DS.
:4link:: http://www.latintimes.com/super-sma...firms-no-ice-climbers-and-explains-why-262292

The bold section tells me that while there were technical limitations when initially programming the duo, there is hope for DLC, as there was a chance to fix these problems.

Also, is anyone else bothered by the fact that this is a series with "no future" and that's why it lacks priority. I mean, if it weren't for Sakurai himself, Kid Icarus would have no future. Does anyone see a sequel to Duck Hunt coming out any time soon (not trashing the Duck Hunt character, I actually like the Dog and Duck). Just saying, that seems like a bad way to prioritize a fighter if you ask me, considering that other characters also fit this bill.
Especially Duck Hunt! They're also a no-future tag team character!

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone here have Ice Climber on their Wii, Wii U or 3DS?
no, but I do want it. Kinda wanna finally master the game so I can feel like a true, TRUE Ice Climbers fan(atic).
Sadly I feel like it'll be really hard since I don't have a wii (U) pro controller. :/ So sideways wii controller... ugh nvm I'd rather play it online haha.
No. If it was an NES title in the original Animal Crossing, I might have it there, but I don't recall.
btw I love your signature and your avatar haha.
Well it probably based off of their box art mixed with their sprites and a bit of redesigning. I mean the NES era box arts aren't always the best place for faithful character designs to the original artist's intentions especially the localized box arts. This isn't as big of a thing as bringing NES box art mega man in to replace mega man and I could see some of her recolors featuring blonde hair.

Also about the race discussion above- I think they just meant if a reboot happened and they were inuit. I agree that Smash's roster kinda shows the lack of representation for females and people of color in video games, but it is also a Japanese game studio so the culture is different and it isn't a hot subject over there. Also it should be first and foremost a celebration of Nintendo's history, so yes I'd love more female characters, but I don't want them at the expense of pushing aside characters who deserve to be in more. Besides, it is getting better as we got Little mac and a whole slew of female characters so *shrugs.* It is less of a Smash Bros thing than a political/gaming thing that should probably just be glossed over since it is off topic.

It'd only matter if they got a reboot and had some specific inspirations, but even then I could see them doing some palettes to reference blonde Nana.
Pretty much this. While I do enjoy representation of cultures outside of Japanese and European and American culture, I don't want to reach the point where it's like "damn, this just feels unnatural" with perhaps *forced* internationality. But hey, I mean, honestly because it's such a rare thing anyways and it's a big game title that people will play regardless, I actually wouldn't be too against or afraid of "over-rep" or whatever.
But yes, Smash has definitely made steps in the right direction. More female characters. Little Mac (who people are gushing over all over Tumblr), and... yeah. One of the reasons I'd like ICs in is because by default it's two humans working together, rather than fighting each other. By default, too! No doubles needed haha.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655

Yes, this is exactly what I am talking about. To get a better idea of the whole story, you need to do further research and compare articles. News-wise, us supporters don't have as much to work with, but wording like this pretty much subliminally states that ICies can certainly work as a duo on the 3DS. "Nintendo Life reports that while this problem most likely could have been fixed it wasn't a priority for Sakurai as the Ice Climbers really didn't need promotion since there are no real plans for the 'Ice Climber' franchise." "According to Sakurai-san, a solution to this problem wasn't a priority either due to there being no real reason to promote the Ice Climbers - as there are no planned announcements or installments for this particular series any time soon." These are quotes that people just completely gloss over or just see it as the final nail in the coffin for good. Another thought came to mind. From a business standpoint, Ice Climbers DLC can be very beneficial to Nintendo. If the Ice Climbers were pushed to be made into the vanilla version, it could have pushed other things back that were a higher priority and were easier for marketing. Since the ICies fanbase is outnumbered by the general public, people wouldn't recognize them and it could have caused Nintendo to lose extra money on weaker marketing and resources for a niche character. With DLC being a thing, and Sakurai wanting to make authentic DLC and aiming to please all his fans, the Ice Climbers are perfect for DLC. Nintendo now has Smash 4's success to fall back on (and amiibo) for profit, and they could make more money on this DLC. So they can work through past issues they had and solve them, and bring back Ice Climbers for let's say $5 to download them onto both versions. Not only do they get a profit on the DLC alone, but it's more money put on top of the full $60 retail game. I'm no marketing expert, but it makes too much sense for it not to end up going this way. Genius! Conspiracy theory: Did the Ice Climbers get cut in Smash just to become profitable in the long run? Nah. That goes against Sakurai's desire to make anti-scam DLC. Debunked. But I can certainly see it as an incentive for Nintendo as a company to make Ice Climbers DLC to promote Smash rather than Smash promote Ice Climber.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
btw I love your signature and your avatar haha.
Oh, thanks XD. The actual origin of Fancy Shadow (that's what I refer to him as) is really bizarre. It's something that I'm not going to go into right now, but ever since I had given Shadow his fancy makeover, it's just a design I've loved ever since.

That sparked the origin of Fancy Bandana Dee and Fancy Ice Climbers. I felt like I needed the characters I supported to match Fancy Shadow in design for my signature. But again, thanks a lot!

EDIT
Attention! As of right now, of this edit, the Ice Climbers are being rated for chance and want on the Rate their chances thread. Head over to support the Ice Cold Duo! (You know, if you want too, I wouldn't ever force you).
Sorry for the several calls to this, I'm just trying to support these two whenever I see the opportunity present itself.

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
All this IC talk is making me realize just how badly I miss them, like when they were first deconfirmed in August I was out of commission for a little while due to grief, and it slowly started to fade, but with the Smash Ballot and seeing a resurgence of IC support it makes me sad we even have to do this instead of having them from the get go.

I don't even care if they're trash tier due to no CG shenanigans (though I doubt that would be the case since people WILL find a way to make them good)
I just want my babies back ;~~~;

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
All this IC talk is making me realize just how badly I miss them, like when they were first deconfirmed in August I was out of commission for a little while due to grief, and it slowly started to fade, but with the Smash Ballot and seeing a resurgence of IC support it makes me sad we even have to do this instead of having them from the get go.

I don't even care if they're trash tier due to no CG shenanigans (though I doubt that would be the case since people WILL find a way to make them good)
I just want my babies back ;~~~;
*sigh* yeah, I think many of us here are all too familiar with the feeling haha. Honestly though, when they were first confirmed to not be in, I was too hyped for the rest of smash bros to really care that much. But after playing the game for a good number of months now, I really notice how strange it feels without the ICs. I mean, they were in Melee, and in Brawl. Those games were like 10 years of Smash History. And then bam. Suddenly no more ICs. It's sad, but we really do have hope for them being able to make it in. They're just chillin in confirmed/de-confirmed purgatory. While it's so tempting to say that "Psh! Of course the Ice Climbers are coming back in. Sakurai knows man, he knows!" It is also just as easy to say that Sakurai probably has other priorities in mind, like Wolf and Lucas. But... in my head, adding Ice Climbers to the list of

Mewtwo
Lucas
Wolf

Would make perfect sense. So chin up, mate! :3 Enjoy the fact that we can stay hyped for the possibility that they might just make it in. It's exciting not knowing!

Last edited:

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
@ Makai Wars Makai Wars Hahaha, that's great. Poor Snake. He's right below the Ice Climbers in terms of veterans getting back in. Or maybe around the same, due to the whole 3DS issue. But he still isn't as popular as the ICs. heh. Honestly it'd be nice to have Snake back in. If he was a two-time veteran, it'd be probably even more disappointing than the ICs cut. But yeah, poor Snake.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I sketched up a quick visual on how the DLC polling is going in Sakurailand
We can rectify this sad situation by voting for Snake in addition to IC. :denzel: Cut veterans gotta stick together! If Wolf gets in (he probably will, imo), Snake's the only cut Brawl newcomer left. And if the clone Roy gets in but the originals IC, Snake, Wolf don't ... I will be skeptical.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I sketched up a quick visual on how the DLC polling is going in Sakurailand
Lol, so true. Though I think Snake is getting more votes than people say he is. But these three are definitely the top 3 veterans getting voted for.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I just rated their chances: a bold 70% chance, and an obvious 100% want. I hope we can come through to more people and get their support.
Soon

Personally these are my top 3, already got 2nd place with Lucas returning
YES! YES! YEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!! Those are my top 3 in that exact order. With things like this, I honestly can't see anyone here ignored with such a huge outcry, fanbase, and establishment in Smash.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I think the Ice Climbers did pretty well in the rate their chances. I expected them to have a low chance (I knew people would still see technical limitations as a problem), but it's nice to see that they're really wanted!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I think the Ice Climbers did pretty well in the rate their chances. I expected them to have a low chance (I knew people would still see technical limitations as a problem), but it's nice to see that they're really wanted!
Always good to have the voters on our side. Let's keep pushing for ICies DLC.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I hope I'm not the only one who'd be pretty annoyed to see a lot of veterans come back, especially Roy, but not the Ice Climbers
The only veterans that need to come back are ICies and Wolf. Though I could care more or less if they brought Snake back in to, but the former 2 should have priority over him.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Sooo true, ICs are the best, because of the new mechanics, even w/o chain grabs, they should still be great anyways, especially with customs, but if anything they may make it so that you REALLY need to protect your partner for most of your moveset to work right, and they may make it so that your just plain useless w/o her, it would add more of a challenge, and I personally wouldn't care as long as they come back.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sooo true, ICs are the best, because of the new mechanics, even w/o chain grabs, they should still be great anyways, especially with customs, but if anything they may make it so that you REALLY need to protect your partner for most of your moveset to work right, and they may make it so that your just plain useless w/o her, it would add more of a challenge, and I personally wouldn't care as long as they come back.
Mewtwo never got customs, so I don't expect any customs for the DLC characters, which sucks.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Mewtwo never got customs, so I don't expect any customs for the DLC characters, which sucks.
Wait he won't even ever custom customs? I thought that they would doe tat later or something :/
Well........as long As their grab game is one of the best(or preferably the best) thenI guess it won't be the Worse, you know
Make it so that If they grab you I it would be the worst thing, like in the past games.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
I could see a ton of potential for the ICs to be one of the most unique, fun, but also challenging characters to use in Smash--if they make it back in. In brawl they were just kinda... challenging. Honestly it seemed like they were slightly more fun in Melee. In brawl they just kinda had their somewhat useful but also risky side-B, and I guess their tether Up-B, and of course, chaingrabs. In Smash 4, I really feel like chaingrabs would be gone, and they would have a better tech-chase game and more reliable moves in general. Like, in Brawl their strength was their numbers. They didn't have much else of a gimmick. They could sorta desync and wall-off a little with Down-B and maybe Ice block spam, but they didn't really have a legitimate strength as regular smash characters.

I'd love to see that change in Smash 4, whether that change is to make them sorta heavy-weights in some way, or heavy-hitters, or relatively fast but low on damage output, or something like that. Give them a solid rush-down game, perhaps. I feel like this would be the best option, because you basically want the ICs to be the ones to engage and put themselves at risk--so that the odds of being separated are a bit higher, thus balancing them out. But they shouldn't completely focus on rush-down because that is pretty detrimental to their duo mechanic. Every offensive move they make would put their strength (being two characters) at risk.

On second thought, maybe all they need is a new forward air haha. Or a more powerful and easy-to-land spike perhaps. Then BAM. They're perfect. :3

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
OMG I can't believe I haven't brought this up sooner! You know how amiibo have these little kiosks with monitors on them in stores? Well, if you didn't already know, each character, at least in the Smash lineup, get their own character videos. I took a look at each video for the wave 3 exclusives. Guess who's in Meta Knight's video?

Top Bottom