• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I've noted that when it comes to returning veterans, people tend to have weird (and negative) opinions about IC and Snake. IC are viewed as impossible and Snake as a "one-time guest." Wolf, on the other hand, appears to be a shoo-in and even Roy has been getting a lot more support as of late with that Roy/Ryu thing.
I have noticed the exact same thing... The beginning of this whole forum brings up a valid point: They had a time limit to make Ice Climbers work. Now that DLC happening, they don't have a specific deadline AND the Ice Climbers have already been heavily worked on.
Also, I would like to see the written rule that says Snake could only appear once. Plus I don't understand the whole "he doesn't fit in with the other fighters" argument.

:4fox::4villagerf::4gaw::4littlemac::4kirby::4robinm::4bowser::4pacman::4wario:

Do ANY of the fighters in this game fit in with each other? Nooooot really. We're just a little more used to seeing them together at this point. I remember the first time I saw this :4pikachu: next to this :4mario: I was like "WHOOOOOAAAA DUDE that makes no sense!"

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Nauzgo:

The ice climbers are definitely possible on the 3DS, and I'm not just saying that for the sake of hype. The 3DS is equally as powerful as the wii, and without the cartridge being stressed with storing data while also running the game (assuming u have the cartridge version) due to the infinitely superior SD card handling that, there is nothing capping the cartridge's (and, concequentally, the 3DS') running power and, as a result, the ice climbers are possible to run. If Smash 4 saved in the same way as DS games did, I would be less sure, but there is no cap and the console is as powerful as the wii - which was capable of running IC. Sakurai stated that their development was low priority due to "the series having no foreseeable future" and the fact that they couldn't port their data from Melee due to it being too old and the brawl code being incompatible with the 3DS, they had to find a way around it, and they didn't have the time before launch. There is no "didn't mean low priority in smash" because he said that they were in an interview about smash that stated the reasoning that they were "low priority."

If you are still pessimistic about the Ice Climbers returning, you're in the wrong thread. This is for people who believe that they are going to return, and (as I have said a few pages back) anyone who does not think so should not post anything saying that they won't.

I appologise if I have completely misread what you meant in your message, and please correct me if I have.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Don't forget, DLC is DOWNLOADABLE content, we all know loading from the system is faster than loading from the cartridge or disc

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
The fact that the Ice Climbers were considered lower priority for having "no future" always bugged me since I've been waiting since 2001 for them to have a new game. Sakurai was quick to revive Kid Icarus, but neither he nor anyone else at Nintendo ever gave the Ice Climbers a second chance at success.

It's not like the original game was that bad for its time. If we're judging it fairly, for a pre-Super Mario Bros. platformer, it actually isn't that bad. Can't they at least make a short little eshop title starring these guys? Their recognition from Smash alone should generate sales.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Nauzgo:

The ice climbers are definitely possible on the 3DS, and I'm not just saying that for the sake of hype. The 3DS is equally as powerful as the wii, and without the cartridge being stressed with storing data while also running the game (assuming u have the cartridge version) due to the infinitely superior SD card handling that, there is nothing capping the cartridge's (and, concequentally, the 3DS') running power and, as a result, the ice climbers are possible to run. If Smash 4 saved in the same way as DS games did, I would be less sure, but there is no cap and the console is as powerful as the wii - which was capable of running IC. Sakurai stated that their development was low priority due to "the series having no foreseeable future" and the fact that they couldn't port their data from Melee due to it being too old and the brawl code being incompatible with the 3DS, they had to find a way around it, and they didn't have the time before launch. There is no "didn't mean low priority in smash" because he said that they were in an interview about smash that stated the reasoning that they were "low priority."

If you are still pessimistic about the Ice Climbers returning, you're in the wrong thread. This is for people who believe that they are going to return, and (as I have said a few pages back) anyone who does not think so should not post anything saying that they won't.

I appologise if I have completely misread what you meant in your message, and please correct me if I have.
Yeah, you misread that... I'm pretty optimistic about them and I'm sure that they can work on 3DS. Just wanted to say that they were 100% cut due to technical issues (and maybe time) and not because their priority. So I would say we're fine ^^
It'd be strange if they wouldn't join soon because like what Sakurai said, they were nearly ready to fight and they just got problems to get them work. So the only thing they have to do with them yet is to fix some 3DS problems and they will for sure. Sakurais statement which says that he wants to bring as many DLC as possible is a good point for them (and the 7 other vets).

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Can't they at least make a short little eshop title starring these guys? Their recognition from Smash alone should generate sales.
This is a stretch, but I can see a level based (or open world) platformer requiring you to separate Nana & Popo to accomplish certain tasks (activating switches to access new areas, or in ways similar to the Cherry powerup in Super Mario 3D World is used), and use their combined abilities to reach new heights and accomplish other tasks (help each other jump higher, move obstacles that are two heavy for just one). They could even gain power-ups throughout the game like abilities to freeze enemies, hammer stomp ground pounds, using a rope to attach to ceilings to bridge long gaps... etc. Games like that always sell great anyway, and having Nana & Popo be the faces of the game would pretty much guarantee awesome sales!

Crap... now I really want this to happen.
SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE AN ICE CLIMBER METROID-STYLE GAME!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The fact that the Ice Climbers were considered lower priority for having "no future" always bugged me since I've been waiting since 2001 for them to have a new game. Sakurai was quick to revive Kid Icarus, but neither he nor anyone else at Nintendo ever gave the Ice Climbers a second chance at success.

It's not like the original game was that bad for its time. If we're judging it fairly, for a pre-Super Mario Bros. platformer, it actually isn't that bad. Can't they at least make a short little eshop title starring these guys? Their recognition from Smash alone should generate sales.
I think it would be a harder sell than Kid Icarus. Kid Icarus had the whole Greek Mythos to build upon. Ice Climber is a lot more open ended. Aside from the enemies, they were pretty much the only characters and there really wasn't much of a story. Supposedly they were collecting vegetables for their village but we never saw the village so there's a possible starting point. I dunno. Knowing how to deal with those early NES titles is kind of a tough topic to approach.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
I think it would be a harder sell than Kid Icarus. Kid Icarus had the whole Greek Mythos to build upon. Ice Climber is a lot more open ended. Aside from the enemies, they were pretty much the only characters and there really wasn't much of a story. Supposedly they were collecting vegetables for their village but we never saw the village so there's a possible starting point. I dunno. Knowing how to deal with those early NES titles is kind of a tough topic to approach.
The thing with ice climber, is that there's barely anything to work on, which in turn gives you freedom to make it into almost anything you want, Donkey Kong Country pretty much came out of nowhere after all as an example

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The thing with ice climber, is that there's barely anything to work on, which in turn gives you freedom to make it into almost anything you want, Donkey Kong Country pretty much came out of nowhere after all as an example
But Donkey Kong was already a huge video game icon. The Ice Climbers don't really have that luxury.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
But Donkey Kong was already a huge video game icon. The Ice Climbers don't really have that luxury.
I'm sure that if Nintendo just marketed the game correctly (kinda like they have with Splatoon), that the game would do pretty well. Just make sure it's something unique and, heh, marketable. Seems like I'm not the only one that's waiting for an Ice Climbers reboot.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I want a trailer for ICies DLC starting off near the top of a snowy mountain. Then the screen zooms in upon an overhang of the mountain, a hammer appears, breaking off a block of ice, like the original game. Popo jumps onto the overhang, and pulls up Nana. ICE CLIMBERS CLIMB BACK IN! Then they start battling their way up the mountain against SSB4 opponents, using their moves (maybe this could be a return of Icicle Mountain), representing their battle to get back in. When they reach the top, they do their jumping animation and/or a victory high five, and that's the end of the trailer.

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
This is a stretch, but I can see a level based (or open world) platformer requiring you to separate Nana & Popo to accomplish certain tasks (activating switches to access new areas, or in ways similar to the Cherry powerup in Super Mario 3D World is used), and use their combined abilities to reach new heights and accomplish other tasks (help each other jump higher, move obstacles that are two heavy for just one). They could even gain power-ups throughout the game like abilities to freeze enemies, hammer stomp ground pounds, using a rope to attach to ceilings to bridge long gaps... etc. Games like that always sell great anyway, and having Nana & Popo be the faces of the game would pretty much guarantee awesome sales!

Crap... now I really want this to happen.
SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE AN ICE CLIMBER METROID-STYLE GAME!
If you want an idea of how I'd like an Ice Clinber game to go, look at the Mario and Luigi series, a puzzle/RPG game with small platforming elements where Mario and Luigi work as a duo to complete. It's PERFECT for the Ice Climbers, it makes me sad they could've had a chance at running this IP but it went to Mario because he's guarenteed sales. The same thing almost happened to Splatoon as well.

I hope the Ice Climbers win or at least place highly in the poll so maybe Nintendo can consider them for a series revival.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
With all of this online play they're doing, they could make the ICs game a really co-op based thing. Heck, maybe even allow up to 4 separate ice climber players to play at once (or even more, depending on the game type!). Make it some sorta zone-defense game, where your ability to mAcro, platform, and use items at appropriate times is what makes you a winner. Give it a somewhat limited set of items so that it's not too much to take in all at once (I'm thinking around the Mario Kart 8 range of items), and bam, it could be a classic. Allow players to set up defense turrets of various sorts, and booby traps, and send offensive drones, and make the goal to defend your mountain-top or ice castle and to bring down the enemies' ice castle. Give each climber a good amount of customization. Have weapon slots, have misc slots. Sell hats for 2 refined ice-crystals (the currency of the new Ice Climber reboot). Give players free crates that have a 0.05% chance of giving them a rare item, and a 99% chance of giving them a relatively useless item--BUT the crates can only be opened with a key that costs 2.50$!

All jokes aside, I was mostly serious about that game idea. Nintendo needs to go full DOTA + TF2 + platformer on the ICs ;P

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
What needs to happen is they keep the classic idea as a kind of campaign that includes up to 4 player compatibility, with that Mountain defense thing more of a side option. That'd be something I'd get.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I think the most interesting component of the original game is its verticality, and that's what I'd like to see preserved in any possible reboot for the IP. I'm imagining a 3D platformer/puzzle hybrid with a focus on scaling large, vertical levels, using both climbers to solve puzzles and defeat enemies while collecting items such as vegetables. Sort of a hybrid between Banjo-Kazooie and the more puzzle-oriented Zelda titles.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I feel as if Ice Climber is opened ended enough that they could make it into any kind of game, puzzle, platformer, RPG, whatever and it would work. The Ice Climbers as characters can be molded into whatever the game designer feels like, siblings, lovers, rivals, whatever!
It's really just a matter of whether or not Nintendo is willing to risk making a new IP, but after the success of KI:U and the endless hype for Splatoon, I'm sure Nintendo is warming up to it, and I hope this poll puts the ICs in the front of the line.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
If you want to talk mythos, the Ice Climbers appear to be based on Inuit peoples. It would be pretty cool to incorporate some of that culture into a video game. You'd also have a video game that has Native Americans as the protagonists (and, realistically speaking, all other humans in the game would probably be Inuit too), which is a) cool on the diversity front since it's not like Native Americans get much representation in video games and b) breaks up the monotony of human protagonists being white or Japanese.

I find the prospect pretty exciting since Inuit culture isn't a motif that's been done to death, and if it's done accurately and respectfully (this is important) it could even increase interest in Inuit culture. But maybe I'm getting off topic now.

So yeah, I'd personally be legit interested in an Ice Climbers game. I agree on the vertical climbing aspect being something that should be preserved. For some reason Xenoblade's whole thing about taking place on a giant comes to mind, even though movement in that game was mostly horizontal (and I hated climbing there, lbr).

nintendo, plz resurrect ice climbers, popo and nana need to show their potential to the world

EDIT: I always thought the IC were siblings, but according to one of Sakurai's Melee blogs, they're "more than friends, less than lovers." I reeeeaaaaallly hope any future IC material keeps them not lovers.

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
If we get an IC reboot, it needs to be fairly true to its origins. I like the idea with going down the Mario and Luigi route, but IMO Paper Mario would be a better way of going about this due to there being significantly more climbing involved in those games. I think that kind of concept with the Mario and Luigi art style (i.e. sprites) and the Dragon Quest party system would be awsome :D. I think it should start of with Popo and Nana, allow you to make more climbers with different appearances/characteristics and substitute your existing ones around would make for a really cool game. I love the idea of Ice Climber going down the RPG route :]

Last edited:

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
If we get an IC reboot, it needs to be fairly true to its origins. I like the idea with going down the Mario and Luigi route, but IMO Paper Mario would be a better way of going about this due to there being significantly more climbing involved in those games. I think that kind of concept with the Mario and Luigi art style (i.e. sprites) and the Dragon Quest party system would be awsome :D. I think it should start of with Popo and Nana, allow you to make more climbers with different appearances/characteristics and substitute your existing ones around would make for a really cool game. I love the idea of Ice Climber going down the RPG route :]
Fair sentiment. Just make its challenges revolve around platforming (and maybe party/character customization). Hardcore RPG puzzles scare me. Just gimme some hidden areas with unique weapons and harder enemies or optionally harder quest paths to go through. Nintendo fanbase needs something they can easily sink their teeth into, as well as something that they can come to love for ages. Introduce new and exciting elements without sacrificing simplicity or separating the pros too far from the casuals right from the start. And of course, this could be one of those games where Nintendo goes totally deep with their lore and characters--while still maintaining that fun and cute feeling that nintendo games tend to have, and, of course, the ice climbers have always had for many of us.

Ooo, you guys are getting me excited for this, now. heheh.

FancySmash

Smash Lord

Someone had an idea for a new Ice Climber game long ago it seems. I don't know who made it or where it came from (found it on Google, wanted to share), but darn, it looks good!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Someone had an idea for a new Ice Climber game long ago it seems. I don't know who made it or where it came from (found it on Google, wanted to share), but darn, it looks good!
Sure does.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace

I think I saw this in one of the previous social threads, probably 1.0 or 2.0

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So if Mario Kart Double Dash 2 ever becomes a thing, we'll need the Ice Climbers as DLC characters in that, just like Link and the Animal Crosser's (Villager&Isabelle). It would make so much sense.
Yes.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Very informative post. Thanks for the heads up/information. I actually don't think I've read this one--or if I did, I pretty much assumed it was just like the other blog post where Sakurai explains the IC's cut due to the 3DS's blah blah.
It actually almost seems like Sakurai is saying "We tried very hard to include the Ice Climbers, and the team managed to optimize almost everybody BUT the Ice Climbers," which is a little disheartening, but you still seem a little peppy about the whole situation. I'm interested as to why you are still able to hold onto the hope. Is it because so many people want the Ice Climbers back?

Also, am I the only one that finds it odd that Sakurai revived the ICs, included them in Melee AND Brawl, and then cut them from Smash 4? Although honestly, I think it's because Nintendo announced the game before Sakurai even knew it was happening. At least that's what I heard (it may or may not be totally true). Nintendo probably forced him to include it on the 3DS. Damn. They probably should have waited till the new 3DS came out. :/ Might have made Smash less of a hassle to deal with, and probably help other, more complex and graphics-intensive games have a little more freedom. Matter of fact, I feel like Nintendo could EASILY have arranged such a thing: Develop the new 3DS alongside Smash 4--it would be perfectly logical. They both came out VERY near each other's release dates. Why NOT do this? Would it seem weird? I'm sure TONS of new 3DSs would sell. I'm totally puzzled by this.
Sorry for a bit of a late reply trying to catch up on all the new posts, but Sakurai originally wanted to make smash 4 exclusively for the 3DS because he thought it would be the best idea to advance the series and make smash 4 unique to its predecessors. We might have gotten a more polished game if the dev team wasn't working on two games simultaneously and we could have gotten smash 5 for the Wii U a few years down the line with it feeling like a separate game entirely. So the Wii U game was the one Nintendo higher-ups pushed for, not vise versa. Also the new 3DS was probably only in production quite a while after Smash 4 started production- you cant game test on a non functioning console (Also they'd probably sell less) and they are treating the new 3DS similar to the DSi where its not a new game console but it kinda is but only for like 5-10 games exclusive to it.

When they say no future they mean they aren't currently a recurring series like Mario/Zelda and that it is possible it wont be seeing a sequel or anything for a long time. Characters who are more popular and constantly a part of Nintendo's lineup would get a much larger outcry if they were cut so more time and effort went into making them work. Also Kid Icarus Uprising started out as a StarFox game when they were working on the gameplay mechanics, so it didn't start as "Lets reboot Kid Icarus!" but "Hmmm what franchise fits this shooting mechanic and flying gameplay?"

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
With DLC being underway, and Lucas being the next runner up, it shows that they can make DLC for characters who have "no future" (Lucas and Ice Climbers) along with characters who's B moves have been given to other characters as customs (Lucas and Wolf). I kinda feel like there was careful planning and reasoning behind how they introduced Lucas as DLC. Not only is he fairly easier to add than other characters but it hints in a way what DLC can offer and under what circumstances characters are still eligible for. Namely Ice Climbers and Wolf because they carry their own similar trait to Lucas. It's just a thought, but it could very well be part of their strategy when making veteran DLC.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for a bit of a late reply trying to catch up on all the new posts, but Sakurai originally wanted to make smash 4 exclusively for the 3DS because he thought it would be the best idea to advance the series and make smash 4 unique to its predecessors. We might have gotten a more polished game if the dev team wasn't working on two games simultaneously and we could have gotten smash 5 for the Wii U a few years down the line with it feeling like a separate game entirely. So the Wii U game was the one Nintendo higher-ups pushed for, not vise versa. Also the new 3DS was probably only in production quite a while after Smash 4 started production- you cant game test on a non functioning console (Also they'd probably sell less) and they are treating the new 3DS similar to the DSi where its not a new game console but it kinda is but only for like 5-10 games exclusive to it.
can we get some sauce up in here? We need like an archive of all smash-related news lol.

With DLC being underway, and Lucas being the next runner up, it shows that they can make DLC for characters who have "no future" (Lucas and Ice Climbers) along with characters who's B moves have been given to other characters as customs (Lucas and Wolf). I kinda feel like there was careful planning and reasoning behind how they introduced Lucas as DLC. Not only is he fairly easier to add than other characters but it hints in a way what DLC can offer and under what circumstances characters are still eligible for. Namely Ice Climbers and Wolf because they carry their own similar trait to Lucas. It's just a thought, but it could very well be part of their strategy when making veteran DLC.
Well said. I would imagine that the most wanted veterans to other smash games are a top priority for Sakurai and the team--but I suppose that's just wishful thinking. It's not really certain exactly what they're shooting for--popularity, uniqueness, marketability overall, probably a mix of all of them. With those factors mentioned, there's definitely some hope for the ICs. I mean, just imagine Wolf and Lucas being in Smash 4, but not the ICs. It'd be a huge letdown, especially considering that so many people miss the Ice Climbers.

In theory: with the ICs being one of the most missed if not THE MOST missed veterans, along with Melee selling 7 million copies, Brawl selling 12+ million copies, and Smash 4 3DS/Wii U selling around 9.8 million copies, let's assume that, with a modest, low number, 3 million people are interested in the Ice Climbers and eventually buy them, say, within two months of their release. That's a 9 million dollar Revenue just from making one character for a game that's already out. I'm guessing that they'd probably, at the most, lose... one million in trying to make them. At least a 8 million dollar profit in modest terms, speaking as a NON-economist with not that much knowledge of actual sales of the game and stuff haha.

Anyways, I feel like Sakurai really shouldn't let go of such an opportunity, not only to make a good sum of money, but also to make people in the long term retain a strong interest in the Smash Bros series (especially with any intrinsic value he may hold for the ICs). One does not simply cut a two-time veteran and not expect some lashback. And although I would see it as a bit of an annoyance that ICs had to be DLC that costs money, I guess I wouldn't mind because they're favorites of mine and I'm simply glad to have them at all.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
can we get some sauce up in here? We need like an archive of all smash-related news lol.
There are a few archives around but they are hard to skim through (I believe there is even one on here) and they cant contain everything because the language barriers. There is a pretty comprehensive list of all the cut/scrapped/planned character based elements in each smash iteration that debunks a lot of the rumors. There is so much misinformation in Smash history that it is easy to spread it around and perpetuate the issue until the original source is untraceable. One example is the Mike Jones rumor from Brawl's development.

Now sauce time for both:
Speaking about spreading misinformation I should have checked my sources before spreading something I have heard- it seems like smash 3DS was the only one he intended to do to evolve the franchise until he learned of the Wii U from Iwata and thought he had to do it for both (Turns out Iwata was going to ask which console he wanted to make it for lol poor Sakurai.) I am sorry about spreading misinformation- its so easy to cut interviews and misinterpret out-of-context quotes. Also sorry for citing news sites as opposed to the actual interviews.

Source
Sakurai had actually begun thinking about what he'd do with the next Smash Bros. while he worked on Kid Icarus. He felt that it would be wrong to make a mere extension of Super Smash Bros. Melee (GameCube) and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He did not feel that it would be right to just increase the volume, adding 50 characters or doubling the stages for instance. He also felt it would be wrong to just improve the visuals. This is why he felt that selecting to make the game for the console just because it would have greater performance would be wrong.

Making a portable version had its appeal for him, as they'd be able to do a number of new things. At the same time, there would be limits, as they'd be handicapped in some areas when it comes to offering the usual enjoyment areas of Smash Bros.

Specifically, Sakurai feels that a portable system makes the game a more "individual" experience in that, compared to a console, it's easier to make players attached to the data that they've built up and collected. The fact that you're carrying the hardware with you makes for a more personal experience.
Source
While the development of Kid Icarus: Uprising was at its end, Satoru Iwata came me propose to develop the new Smash Bros game, and asked me if he should be on 3DS or Wii U. We were arrived at a point where the series could not evolve too, and we wondered if the passage on handheld console was the solution. In the past, we have increased the number of characters and arenas, but this was not enough.

At that time, we could have chosen to develop a 3DS version only, but we realized the presence of several limitations. I am referring to the fact of playing a game like Super Smash Bros.. on a small screen. Thus, even if it is not easy to develop two versions simultaneously, we chose to adapt the game experience to the specifications of each platform.
As for the Kid Icarus thing it all checks out.
Source.
Source.
[T]here actually was one other [franchise considered] and that was Star Fox. But the problem with Star Fox was that—and you’ll see this when you see the trailer for Kid Icarus––is that the game design incorporates a lot of different views. For example, flying and shooting sideways or turning around and shooting behind and I felt that there were some restrictions with Star Fox in this regard. With Pit, there is a certain amount of flexibility that is allowed and makes a better fit for this gameplay.
Every time I post something Smash News related I should cite it from now on lol.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
@ DonkaFjord DonkaFjord
hah,I learned something new today. Nice work, the stuff regarding early smash development is super interesting. However, the fact that Sakurai -realized- that there would be limitations sorta wears down the hopes I had for the Ice Climbers making it back in. Like, he could perhaps just be thinking, "well, this is what I signed up for!" and then stop at that, no more ICs! Although there is still hope that he'll go back on his word and make the 3DS and Wii U have different rosters :). It's not like people on the wiiu are playing with 3DS users, which would bringup compatibility issues. And those interested in playing competitively are likely to not mind using the wii u in tournament play. :) idk. I'm not even sure if I'd want a roster split at all, but still! we're talking ICs! haha, but honestly I'm so torn and desperate for them.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
@ DonkaFjord DonkaFjord
hah,I learned something new today. Nice work, the stuff regarding early smash development is super interesting. However, the fact that Sakurai -realized- that there would be limitations sorta wears down the hopes I had for the Ice Climbers making it back in. Like, he could perhaps just be thinking, "well, this is what I signed up for!" and then stop at that, no more ICs! Although there is still hope that he'll go back on his word and make the 3DS and Wii U have different rosters :). It's not like people on the wiiu are playing with 3DS users, which would bringup compatibility issues. And those interested in playing competitively are likely to not mind using the wii u in tournament play. :) idk. I'm not even sure if I'd want a roster split at all, but still! we're talking ICs! haha, but honestly I'm so torn and desperate for them.
I feel like if Nintendo reveals a new handheld or later on in this games life they would be more likely to break the whole "rosters must be exactly the same" thing. Still curious if 8 player smash was playable with them in it. I feel like in the next smash they will come back Japans voting polls seems to suggest they love vetrans even more than we do. Who knows? Maybe the ice climbers will be rebooted in some fashion now that they will have a third platform for games with their partnership with DeNA for mobile games.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I feel like if Nintendo reveals a new handheld or later on in this games life they would be more likely to break the whole "rosters must be exactly the same" thing. Still curious if 8 player smash was playable with them in it. I feel like in the next smash they will come back Japans voting polls seems to suggest they love vetrans even more than we do. Who knows? Maybe the ice climbers will be rebooted in some fashion now that they will have a third platform for games with their partnership with DeNA for mobile games.
They were working perfectly on the wii u, which implies that they worked for 8 player smash. The reason that the mirror didn't work was because it had to directly mirror what was going on in front of it, which is much more taxing on the system than having 16 loosely mirrored characters. Of course, the mirror + IC would burn out ur wii u, but they should work perfectly without it ;P

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
I feel like if Nintendo reveals a new handheld or later on in this games life they would be more likely to break the whole "rosters must be exactly the same" thing.
u mean the new 3ds? *laughs nervously because the New 3DS doesn't necessarily guarantee Ice Climbers*

Top Bottom