• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yeah. Wouldn't be surprised if we wound up with an entire row on the character select screen of with nothing but DLC characters at this point. Mario Kart 8 is still getting DLC support even though it's almost a year old so I think SSB4 will be in a similar boat.
As long as the Ice Climbers are in that row, I don't care which Nintendo stars get in. Because I'll have my Retro Trio back, along with a few new sidekicks (Greninja, Villager, and Ness, though they aren't as retro, or not retro at all, as the others).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There's six months until the poll closes and three major directs in that time span so I wouldn't sweat it too much. With the last characters probably not being added until next Spring, they technically have another year to figure out how to make the Ice Climbers work and, with Wolf and the Ice Climbers pretty much next in line as far as cut veterans go, I think the odds are in our favor.

Garrett Robinson

Smash Cadet
While I just want the Ice Climbers back at least in the Wii U, I'm not sure about the New 3DS getting them while the regular one doesn't. We do have games that have N3DS exclusive features, but that's really nothing more than the C stick and ZL ZR buttons. Since DLC characters are getting amiibo, and if the external 3DS amiibo adapter comes out, there would be compatibility issues if ICies were impossible on the 3DS. I don't know much about 3DS memory and data transfer, but hypothetically if you put your Smash 3DS game with ICies from New to old 3DS, there would be issues. I'm only theorizing at this point. I think ICies being only on New 3DS and not old would be confusing and not very intuitive.

EDIT: Also, I'm very doubtful about the current Roy and Ryu leak. It doesn't make much sense to me. I'd expect the next two DLC fighters to be Ice Climbers and Wolf because they seem like a given.
We actually have entire games exclusive to the New 3ds and we have upcoming titles that will be, it's not just "exclusive features". The only problem I see is with online because 3ds players wouldn't be able to play with New 3ds players because of ice climbers, but even that can be fixed by adding them to the game on 3ds but not allowing them to be played.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
We actually have entire games exclusive to the New 3ds and we have upcoming titles that will be, it's not just "exclusive features". The only problem I see is with online because 3ds players wouldn't be able to play with New 3ds players because of ice climbers, but even that can be fixed by adding them to the game on 3ds but not allowing them to be played.
And since Smash 3DS isn't a New 3DS game it kinda seems convoluted if they took that route. Wii U exclusivity would be an easy answer if Sakurai ever changed his mind and made this one exception. But the demand is present and I think that's all we need to show that the Ice Climbers shouldn't have been taken for granted. Who knows what Sakurai would actually do for a solution? We're just giving suggestions and the incentive to make them a higher priority.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Exactly how many characters do you think we'll get out of the ballot. I'm supporting one veteran (the Ice Climbers) and one newcomer (won't say which one :estatic:). I'd be torn if I found out I had to pick only one of the two...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Exactly how many characters do you think we'll get out of the ballot. I'm supporting one veteran (the Ice Climbers) and one newcomer (won't say which one :estatic:). I'd be torn if I found out I had to pick only one of the two...
Two tops. With this recent development, I think most of the DLC characters were picked in advance but I think they'll hold off on the last two additions when the poll closes in October and release them in the Spring of 2016.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Two tops. With this recent development, I think most of the DLC characters were picked in advance but I think they'll hold off on the last two additions when the poll closes in October and release them in the Spring of 2016.
I think that makes sense. I kinda hope that we get the vets like Ice Climbers separate from the ballot. That shows that the Ice Climbers and other veterans weren't forgotten, and the ballot can focus on newcomers. Thanks for the input!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'll go two routes.

Assuming the Roy and Ryu leak is true: we will get 3 characters from the Ballot. Ice Climbers, Wolf, and a newcomer.

Assuming the Roy and Ryu leak is fake:
We will get 5 characters throughout the time of the ballot. The three mentioned above, and I don't care who else. If it's 3rd party though, then it'd best be a recognizable 3rd party (Snake and/or a 3rd party with Nintendo console games).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
sorry...
Either way, if (and I mean IF) the Climbers don't come back, I hope that they aren't forgotten if a new Smash game is announced.
No, I should have seen someone was gonna make a joke out of it. But ya, we need to push the idea now so that if they don't get in as DLC they can at least be one of the first announced when Smash 5 gets announced.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I just hope that f*cking Eggman doesn't get in as DLC unless its under the name Dr. Robotnik...

Assuming the 3-ballot characters route goes through, I wanna see a rep for the Inazuma Eleven franchise. I think that it could introduce a very original offense-defense fusion playstyle with lots of footballs* and kicks.

*soccer balls 'cause you americans use the wrong name XD

Last edited:

HazySmoke

Smash Rookie
I forget to mention this in my ballot. (I voted for ICs only.) But I wish other people don't:

If Ice Climbers come back
They need a better Final Smash.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I just hope that f*cking Eggman doesn't get in as DLC unless its under the name Dr. Robotnik...

Assuming the 3-ballot characters route goes through, I wanna see a rep for the Inazuma Eleven franchise. I think that it could introduce a very original offense-defense fusion playstyle with lots of footballs* and kicks.

*soccer balls 'cause you americans use the wrong name XD
THANK YOU! IM AN AMERICAN AND EVEN I KNOW WHICH IS THE TRUE FOOTBALL!

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Last night I had a dream that it was E3 time and a Smash trailer appears. When I see the Smash logo I say, "Yep, here's Wolf." But then the trailer starts in an icy climate with lots of mountains. Then ICies appear, but they look much more realistic and are as adults. I also got an Olimar amiibo out of nowhere and I inspected it to find that there was no yellow pikmin on it. I should've known it was a dream. Sakurai would make sure the ICies are as cute as possible. He probably won't resort to replacing their 3D models with their original 2D sprites either. That's another thing people don't take into account besides their initial low priority. A large amount of 3D models would be a lot of strain on the 3DS hardware compared to other fighters/assist trophies/poke balls simultaneously. It's only a theory, but I've thought about it since finding out that the Flying Man in Magicant was originally going to have a 3D model but was changed to the sprite to put less strain on the system. Maybe it's just AI and time constraints, maybe it's also the additional 3D models to render, I don't know? But I firmly believe that with the additional time, ICies are certain to come back maybe even being as close to their traditional playstyle as possible.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
So if they do decide to bring ICs back, do you guys think they'll change any moves? Alternative question: would you like to see some changes to their movesets at all?

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of their Side B. It either needs some a buff, or a revamp. In fact, perhaps if they could remove chaingrabs but make a new side-B that's useful for relatively technical combos/hard-mediumhard reads, I would love that. Keep the spirit of chaingrabs there, but make it a lot more flashy. Make it involve tech chasing and reads and you'll have something people can really enjoy watching, at the very least.

ONE MORE THING, Jackie Chan:

If Sakurai's team decides to split up the hype-trains for both systems, making the 3DS version have more of its own awesome little things and the Wii U version have its other bonuses, perhaps we could see something like Ice Climbers on the Wii U and, idk, Ryu on the 3DS lol. I know I'm probably kicking a dead horse in some people's eyes at the moment, but it's a possibility.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Incase you guys missed the Reddit poll 3 days ago, Ice Climbers are sitting at #10 They're trying to get a feel for who's being voted (and I'm honestly disgusted that Shovel Knight is that high personally)
http://i.imgur.com/yR2ZPCq.png
Isaac, Krool, and Wolf are the top 3 first party characters. If Ryu's getting in, I don't think we need more third party characters (unless its Snake, since he's a veteran), especially shovel knight.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Shovel Knight over Rayman? Disgusting.
Though I'm not a huge Rayman supporter, I will say that if we get anymore 3rd parties, it should be either Rayman or Snake. Shovel Knight needs to pay his dues still, as he's fairly new and needs to grow before we think of him getting in.

Otherwise, it's good to see ICies still putting up a good fight. Understandable they're at ten, but I'm surprised that those who have given up on them haven't voted for them. I think we'd be higher if those people voted as well.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Just out of interest, if any second party reps get in, who do you think it'll be?

edit: also lol dat repeat avy XD better hope no mods make a mistake XD

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Just out of interest, if any second party reps get in, who do you think it'll be?

edit: also lol dat repeat avy XD better hope no mods make a mistake XD
It is quite confusing...shoot, triple avatar...

Before any second or third party characters get in, I want ICies in.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I've already said which second party character I'd like to see (a rep for Inazuma Eleven) but of course IC have priority :) I'm just interested :] I'll change the question to want instead of think.

Also quadruple avy XD

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I've already said which second party character I'd like to see (a rep for Inazuma Eleven) but of course IC have priority :) I'm just interested :] I'll change the question to want instead of think.

Also quadruple avy XD
Quintet.

So if they do decide to bring ICs back, do you guys think they'll change any moves? Alternative question: would you like to see some changes to their movesets at all?

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of their Side B. It either needs some a buff, or a revamp. In fact, perhaps if they could remove chaingrabs but make a new side-B that's useful for relatively technical combos/hard-mediumhard reads, I would love that. Keep the spirit of chaingrabs there, but make it a lot more flashy. Make it involve tech chasing and reads and you'll have something people can really enjoy watching, at the very least.

ONE MORE THING, Jackie Chan:

If Sakurai's team decides to split up the hype-trains for both systems, making the 3DS version have more of its own awesome little things and the Wii U version have its other bonuses, perhaps we could see something like Ice Climbers on the Wii U and, idk, Ryu on the 3DS lol. I know I'm probably kicking a dead horse in some people's eyes at the moment, but it's a possibility.
Make their specials have more damage, and have a better affect on opponents. Then they (the special moves) might be useful. Because the only one you ever use is the recovery, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Can't believe that I haven't posted in this thread yet, but I would like to see the Ice Climbers return.

I find it ridiculous that two series were entirely removed from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, since I feel like that seems to go against the idea of Smash Bros. in the first place. I realize that they don't work on the 3DS version if they were kept the same as they were in Melee and Brawl, but that seems like a poor excuse; there has to be a way to modify them in order to get them working on the system, even if it's something like having a solo Ice Climber who summons the other one for their B moves and final smash.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Quintet.

Make their specials have more damage, and have a better affect on opponents. Then they (the special moves) might be useful. Because the only one you ever use is the recovery, for obvious reasons.
Imagine if we all used the same avatar? But I just went with Polar Bear Climbers to get my point across that I'm an ICies supporter.
Can't believe that I haven't posted in this thread yet, but I would like to see the Ice Climbers return.

I find it ridiculous that two series were entirely removed from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, since I feel like that seems to go against the idea of Smash Bros. in the first place. I realize that they don't work on the 3DS version if they were kept the same as they were in Melee and Brawl, but that seems like a poor excuse; there has to be a way to modify them in order to get them working on the system, even if it's something like having a solo Ice Climber who summons the other one for their B moves and final smash.
I feel the exact same way though many of us agree that a solo Ice Climber should be used only as a very last resort. If the duo doesn't work on the 3DS, I for one would be okay with it if it means we get Ice Climbers in Smash 4 at all and not have the team give up on them a second time. Here's the order I'd like them to go by: 1. Traditional duo with desynching and all. -> 2. Duo without the ability to desynch or separate in any way even when they're KO'd and they're treated as one. ----------> 3. Play as one Ice Climber mainly while the other climber appears then disappears during certain attacks. Maybe B moves and final smash, much like what you just said, similar to Zelda's Phantom Slash. However, if there are 4 Popos and 4 Nanas on screen and they summon the other climber, would Popo still summon Nana and vise versa? Well, the other climber can be shaded to indicate that they're not the one being controlled to avoid confusion. And finally... ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> 4. A straight up solo Ice Climber, 4 Popo colors, 4 Nana colors, with buffed moves and a different recovery. The least favorable of the bunch. It takes away their gimmick, but I don't believe they'd just suddenly turn into a Dedede clone. It just wouldn't be the same. Maybe they could use the condor as a recovery, but I don't know. I'm not too worried about it since Sakurai is notorious for blowing our minds with these crazy creative things that we never would've thought of, and I trust that they can be re-implemented in the best way manageable if they understand the importance of these characters in Smash.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Imagine if we all used the same avatar? But I just went with Polar Bear Climbers to get my point across that I'm an ICies supporter.

I feel the exact same way though many of us agree that a solo Ice Climber should be used only as a very last resort. If the duo doesn't work on the 3DS, I for one would be okay with it if it means we get Ice Climbers in Smash 4 at all and not have the team give up on them a second time. Here's the order I'd like them to go by: 1. Traditional duo with desynching and all. -> 2. Duo without the ability to desynch or separate in any way even when they're KO'd and they're treated as one. ----------> 3. Play as one Ice Climber mainly while the other climber appears then disappears during certain attacks. Maybe B moves and final smash, much like what you just said, similar to Zelda's Phantom Slash. However, if there are 4 Popos and 4 Nanas on screen and they summon the other climber, would Popo still summon Nana and vise versa? Well, the other climber can be shaded to indicate that they're not the one being controlled to avoid confusion. And finally... ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> 4. A straight up solo Ice Climber, 4 Popo colors, 4 Nana colors, with buffed moves and a different recovery. The least favorable of the bunch. It takes away their gimmick, but I don't believe they'd just suddenly turn into a Dedede clone. It just wouldn't be the same. Maybe they could use the condor as a recovery, but I don't know. I'm not too worried about it since Sakurai is notorious for blowing our minds with these crazy creative things that we never would've thought of, and I trust that they can be re-implemented in the best way manageable if they understand the importance of these characters in Smash.
Going to what you said about the avatars...

Oh heck no...this thread would just be...agh! I don't want to think about how much damage would be done to my brain!!!

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Going to what you said about the avatars...

Oh heck no...this thread would just be...agh! I don't want to think about how much damage would be done to my brain!!!
It's too late mang.

Also, while I certainly haven't given up on ICies, I started rooting for Shantae lately, though. I'm actually hyped for both of them to get in, now.

EDIT: I almost feel like they'll probably just end up giving IC fans some sort of reconcilation prize like some new trophies, some easter eggs, and idk, a stage. I love the Ice Climbers but the more I think about it, the more I feel like ICs will remain a sort of low priority. But honestly there's no telling with Sakurai and the Smash development team. We can cross our fingers, I guess! <3

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Oh. I finally found the IC support thread!
I'm a longtime MASSIVE Ice Climber fan, I've loved them since Melee, mained them in Brawl and have been torn up for months after their Smash 4 deconfirmation.
After I learned about the ballot, I scribbled something out for them really fast and put it on twitter--

But I'm totally willing to do more art so that everyone can know just how serious we are about bringing them back!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
It's too late mang.

Also, while I certainly haven't given up on ICies, I started rooting for Shantae lately, though. I'm actually hyped for both of them to get in, now.

EDIT: I almost feel like they'll probably just end up giving IC fans some sort of reconcilation prize like some new trophies, some easter eggs, and idk, a stage. I love the Ice Climbers but the more I think about it, the more I feel like ICs will remain a sort of low priority. But honestly there's no telling with Sakurai and the Smash development team. We can cross our fingers, I guess! <3
If they go that route...

They've already made it so I can't view my best replays from a month ago, and if that's all they do for ICies...

Ooh I'm gonna be so mad...

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Oh. I finally found the IC support thread!
I'm a longtime MASSIVE Ice Climber fan, I've loved them since Melee, mained them in Brawl and have been torn up for months after their Smash 4 deconfirmation.
After I learned about the ballot, I scribbled something out for them really fast and put it on twitter--

But I'm totally willing to do more art so that everyone can know just how serious we are about bringing them back!
Ah, so you made that? Nice! It's great to see these types of vote for Ice Climbers pictures start to phase out the R.I.P. Ice Climbers ones. Can't wait to see more ICies artwork. I've been thinking about doing some drawings of characters such as the Ice Climbers myself. Though I've never gotten around to using my drawing tablet that I've had since Christmas.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ah, so you made that? Nice! It's great to see these types of vote for Ice Climbers pictures start to phase out the R.I.P. Ice Climbers ones. Can't wait to see more ICies artwork. I've been thinking about doing some drawings of characters such as the Ice Climbers myself. Though I've never gotten around to using my drawing tablet that I've had since Christmas.
Haha. I haven't had any time to draw either. In case you never saw it, this is what I did for the ICies on their 30th Anniversary. Nothing too much but just wanted to put it up:
image.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to make 2 more for these guys. One for the vote campaign and one for their new official artwork when they get back in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom