• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Animal Crossing City Folk

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
More people should join the Animal Crossing social group.
Yes! :)

And I actually preferred the balloon landing in a tree, I liked following it, hoping it would land in a tree. And when it did I got excited and opened the gift right away, and I usually got fruits (or was it always fruits?) Slingshot's ok though

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
How did the baloon work in AC:GC? Didn't the present just land in a tree or something?
Yeah. Like this game, you see it slightly above your head, you can see its shadow. Just in this game, you shoot it with a slingshot, and in the original it had the potential to land in a tree. Annoyingly enough, though, I don't think it could go in any evergreen trees or fruit trees, so it had a tendency to have me yelling at the screen telling the present to land in the tree when it wouldn't.

Yes! :)

And I actually preferred the balloon landing in a tree, I liked following it, hoping it would land in a tree. And when it did I got excited and opened the gift right away, and I usually got fruits (or was it always fruits?) Slingshot's ok though
It wasn't always fruit, I think it had the potential to be a few things. I'm nearly positive it at least could've been furniture too.

I think both methods have their own charm...on one hand, landing in a tree is extremely luck-based, so it's more fair to shoot it down. On the other hand, shooting it down is really easy, especially since it goes slowly and you hear the wind blowing to indicate it's there, so you get more satisfaction from getting one from a tree.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I found a "Jade Chair" in the recycle bin! Who could be that dumb to throw that out!

Probably "Merry". Or "Mitzi". My town has 4 cats, 1 Dog, 1 Frog, and One Kangaroo. OH! And 1 Duck. And 1 Gorilla. Named "Caesar". He's mean and he likea "pink" furniture.

Btw, what is "dignified" furniture? Like Regal?

XACE-K

Smash Master
I found a "Jade Chair" in the recycle bin! Who could be that dumb to throw that out!
I found a lunar lander or whatever it's called.

Btw, what is "dignified" furniture? Like Regal?
I guess so.

Also, I'm trying to get the hair like the male villager on the box cover and for some reason, it's not working. I followed the hair guide but it's not working. Harriet is asking me 2 questions instead of 3. Anybody know why?

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I always find pitfalls at the lost and found.

She asked me 4...wierd.

But hey, I'll play you now if you want. I need some exotic fruit. BELLS!

Is that cool dude? My FC:

2363-9134-3872

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Also, I'm trying to get the hair like the male villager on the box cover and for some reason, it's not working. I followed the hair guide but it's not working. Harriet is asking me 2 questions instead of 3. Anybody know why?
I actually started out as the male on the cover. Shirt, eyes, and hair are all identical lol
And I don't know how the "hair guide" works, sorry

XACE-K

Smash Master
I actually started out as the male on the cover. Shirt, eyes, and hair are all identical lol
And I don't know how the "hair guide" works, sorry
:(

And the hair guide was posted 2 or 3 pages back by Firus. Click on the link and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I missed...three tunas...in a row... ;_;
I thought tunas come in winter, lol. As for me, I'm finding it hard to catch the Bee's in this game, the past two was easy but this one seems to that you have to run from them and turn around, but that don't work either. T_T

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I thought tunas come in winter, lol. As for me, I'm finding it hard to catch the Bee's in this game, the past two was easy but this one seems to that you have to run from them and turn around, but that don't work either. T_T

Wait wait wait.

EASY in Wild World? Since WHEN? I don't think I've caught a bee to this date. If I have, it's probably only been once or twice.

I haven't caught one in City Folk yet either, but I haven't gotten much of a chance to as of yet.

EDIT: BLARGG!!! I just made a very annoying discovery. Apparently, whenever you use the Ocarina with Animal Crossing, it resets to December 20th, 2000. It went back as soon as I played it without Ocarina, but...meh. I didn't actually go into the game. I'm going to try doing so now, so wish me luck...I don't want weeds galore. :(

M.K

Level 55
Ok, Firus and I discovered a few things about Wi-Fi play:

-There appears to be NO beehives and NO money rock during online play.
-Fish don't really...switch between lures. Once it has set it's sight on one, it doesn't stop. It's sort of a bummer because it takes the competition and just applies it to whoever can place their lure the best.
-There is a good chance of finding rare items/fish/insects with two people looking =D
-You can eat 10k mushrooms. (LMAO fail)
-Firus the Hedgehog is an axe murderer. Everyone run for your mother ****ing lives.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Wait wait wait.

EASY in Wild World? Since WHEN?
In Wild World, the Bee's are already close to you by the time you pull the net, you press the catch button very fast after you exit out the item menu on that game. I thought City Folks work the same, but it kinda works like the first Animal Crossing.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
That was just UNFAIR. I didn't MEAN to drag it there, and then it turns out you can eat it? Bah...

-Firus the Hedgehog is an axe murderer. Everyone run for your mother ****ing lives.
MWAHAHAH!!!

*cough*

In Wild World, the Bee's are already close to you by the time you pull the net, you press the catch button very fast after you exit out the item menu on that game. I thought City Folks work the same, but it kinda works like the first Animal Crossing.

Hm. I could never get the timing down right, maybe it was just me.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
-Fish don't really...switch between lures. Once it has set it's sight on one, it doesn't stop. It's sort of a bummer because it takes the competition and just applies it to whoever can place their lure the best.
Animal Crossing competitive play..

I would freakin' die of laughter if that ever happened.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Well, Meta Kirby was pretty top tier when he started wavedashing...
It takes true skill to wavedash in AC.

But practice. Run straight up, then click below your character..

Actually thats more like a turn-around dash.

..anyways.. I have a question..

Does anybody miss the old school bug catching? In the first you could hold down the a button and walk slowly or something like that (you just moved 10x slower), then catch the insect. Now it's so hard to do it =/

M.K

Level 55
It takes true skill to wavedash in AC.

But practice. Run straight up, then click below your character..

Actually thats more like a turn-around dash.

..anyways.. I have a question..

Does anybody miss the old school bug catching? In the first you could hold down the a button and walk slowly or something like that (you just moved 10x slower), then catch the insect. Now it's so hard to do it =/
:freak: *twitch* :freak:

urdailywater

Smash Hero
No joking. I can't even catch a ****-roach on my wild world yet. And can barely get a mantis in this one.

Why would they ever take out the slow approach method of catching bugs? /cry

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Yeah I tried to do a slow approach, but it didn't work. I was disappointed :( They should have kept it in City Folk

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Okay, I just made a VERY odd discovery.

First of all, some backstory; I went to the Marquee and got the Disinterest emote, which is the one where the leaf blows by you.

Afterwards, I went back to my town and after editing one of my designs (which, if you haven't noticed, you can do without the Able Sisters, thus for free: you just can't edit the sleeves and back of the shirt if you do), I started walking to my house and stopped and decided to use my emotes. So I used my Sadness emote, my Irritation Emote, and then my Disinterest Emote. Right after I had used it, I was thinking how similar it sounded to when the wind blows for a present. Right afterwards, I could've sworn I heard the wind blowing...and I figured it was my imagination. But it kept going, and it turns out there was a present! I shot it down, and went about to my business again. After talking to a few animals, then deciding to change the background color of the design I had just made, I started playing with my emotes again. And once again, almost RIGHT after I finished Disinterest, I heard it again. I was sure once again my mind was playing tricks on me, but there was yet ANOTHER present!

I don't know if this was just crazy coincidence, or if there's actually a correlation. Just thought it was interesting enough to throw out there.

Also, from my second present, I got a Mario item! I'll upload a picture of it soon.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
:laugh: I doubt the disinterest emote spawns presents, it just sounds like an awesome coincidence. Then again, it sounds almost too coincidental to be one. Who knows, maybe you've discovered something interesting. We'll have to see if this ever happens again in the future

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, it definitely doesn't. I mean, obviously, you can't string together five in a row to get presents, that'd just be cheap. But I tested it throughout the rest of the day, and to no avail -- I didn't find another present throughout the day. Then again, I found two presents within a half an hour of each other, one of which was a Warp Pipe, so I'm not really complaining.
I think it's almost weirder that it's coincidence. I mean, TWICE, within a half an hour of each other, presents appeared by me RIGHT after I used an emote that sounds like the wind which indicates them? That's just weird.

In other news, I am a Bronze Member at Nook's, which is basically useless except I get a Nook's Cranny Model and it means I have 300 points. (Only 4,700 more points for the item I REALLY want! Yay.)
Although now I'm beyond that, with...472 points, I think? Which means I'm only 28 points away from the ability to buy one of the items. (A banana, I think it is?) Not that it particularly matters, since I am not buying anything until I get my
EPIC SAMUS HELMET

Also, I just finished off my second debt. Which is good, because that means I can finally put my Warp Pipe in my room (it's massive). Then again, I think because of its height it just LOOKS massive; in all actuality, I believe it's only 2x2. Still, not exactly small.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Ok, Firus and I discovered a few things about Wi-Fi play:

-There appears to be NO beehives and NO money rock during online play.
-There is a good chance of finding rare items/fish/insects with two people looking =D
wha t about scorpians and tarantulas online?

oh and as it turns out, my computer is rejecting wi-fi =/
my family's getting a new one on christmas, so i'll be online then

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
wha t about scorpians and tarantulas online?
Wow, I completely forgot about scorpions and tarantulas.

Well, both of us are in November, so we haven't tested it yet. I've changed the date around a bit, but I'll feel cheap if I move the clock to Summer ahead of time, even though Summer is infinitely more fun than Winter (lack of good bugs and fish for the lose).

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
So I've been hearing people complain that the city is a bit lacking, and this got me thinking; Could Nintendo add to the city through DLC?

I think it would be really cool but I dunno if they can pull it off.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
So I've been hearing people complain that the city is a bit lacking, and this got me thinking; Could Nintendo add to the city through DLC?

I think it would be really cool but I dunno if they can pull it off.
Hm, that's an interesting point. I've been thinking/hoping the same thing about music. But both seem like pretty major changes to the game, so I'm unsure if that's possible to do via a patch. I mean, it seems unlikely that it'd be IMPOSSIBLE, but is it viable? Is there anyone here who knows the extent of what they can do with DLC, if there is a limit beyond space limitations?

The city is quite lacking. I wouldn't give much of a second thought to the quality if they hadn't made such a big deal of the city...they named the game according to it, for heaven's sake. Meanwhile, in the city, you've got...

- An expensive store with three items that usually aren't very good, and can be ripoffs (Crazy Redd's)
- A theater where you can get emotes, but the selection doesn't change that often and usually isn't very good. Also, you can only get four emotes and it costs 800 Bells a pop to get an emote. (The Marquee)
- An UBER expensive store where you will, let's face the facts, almost NEVER be able to afford most ANYTHING. Things you can afford are 6,000 Bell hats and glasses. (GracieGrace)
- Someplace where you can go to join an organization which sneaks into your house to tell you it looks like crap because it's not one specific design. (The HRA Building)
- Someplace you can go to put items up for auction, but it seems you can only hold auctions between friends and those who are on your Wii. For that matter, why can't you just TALK to your friends/family and decide on a selling price? (The Auction House)
- A skunk who will shine your shoes. 500 Bells isn't much, and it's a nice feature, but hardly going to keep you busy. (The Shoe Shiner)
- A hair parlor where you can get an ugly, out-of-proportion, and evil Mii Mask (free for the first time), or you can spend 3,000 Bells on a haircut and coloring. You are not supposed to be able to tell beforehand what you're spending 3,000 Bells on. (The Shampoodle)
- A building where you can have your fortune told for 100 Bells. By fortune, I mean something that either means epic tripping or no change in your fortune at all. And rarely, you'll get good luck. You can also find out a charm...but I haven't tried that out yet. (Katrina's?)
- Plus a monkey that rarely appears which will give you things like a balloon or bubble wand, and someplace that's RARELY open where you can get a Silver Shovel. And you can probably only get it once.

So yeah, that's pretty much the city for you...
/rant

urdailywater

Smash Hero
A hair parlor where you can get an ugly, out-of-proportion, and evil Mii Mask (free for the first time), or you can spend 3,000 Bells on a haircut and coloring. You are not supposed to be able to tell beforehand what you're spending 3,000 Bells on. (The Shampoodle)
Quoting this first because you need to take a look at the hair guide.
http://forums.the-bell-tree.com/topic/7064329/1/

- A building where you can have your fortune told for 100 Bells. By fortune, I mean something that either means epic tripping or no change in your fortune at all. And rarely, you'll get good luck. You can also find out a charm...but I haven't tried that out yet. (Katrina's?)
It's a good addition for those who don't want to grind.

- An UBER expensive store where you will, let's face the facts, almost NEVER be able to afford most ANYTHING. Things you can afford are 6,000 Bell hats and glasses. (GracieGrace)
For those heavy grinders or those who wanna play the turnip market.

- Someplace where you can go to join an organization which sneaks into your house to tell you it looks like crap because it's not one specific design. (The HRA Building)
At least I wasn't FORCED to join.

Anyways, overall it's better than Wild World which makes me happy.
I'd give it a 8/10 myself.

Everything else you said was pretty much true.

M.K

Level 55
- Plus a monkey that rarely appears which will give you things like a balloon or bubble wand, and someplace that's RARELY open where you can get a Silver Shovel. And you can probably only get it once.
LMFAO!
Phineas is a Walrus or Otter, not a Monkey!
He's been there every time I went to the city O_O ( 3 times)
I got a bubble wand, a yellow balloon, and a pinwheel.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Quoting this first because you need to take a look at the hair guide.
http://forums.the-bell-tree.com/topic/7064329/1/
Um...I POSTED a hair guide a few pages back. I know there are hair guides.

I said "you're not SUPPOSED to be able to know". They didn't design it so you could choose your haircut, so you have to dig up a guide.

As for the rest, fortune telling hasn't worked for me very well. I have yet to see good luck come out of it, and it's not even as if it's a neutral or good thing, you can also -- and I've seen it happen most often this way -- have it turn out badly.

And GracieGrace's stuff...you'd have to grind pretty hard to actually earn that much money. Maybe I just suck at making money, but I've never been that fortunate. I'm sure it'd be easier in summer, but...*sigh* I almost want to move ahead to summer after Thanksgiving and skipping onto Christmas. But then I'm going to feel like a total cheap-***.

Anyways, overall it's better than Wild World which makes me happy.
I'd give it a 8/10 myself.

Everything else you said was pretty much true.
Are you talking about the city or the game? Because I'm very happy with the game. I just think the city is rather lacking, and I felt like making fun of the city's flaws. It wasn't supposed to be a serious, "BLARGG I HATE THE CITY IT SHOULD BURN IN HELL!!!!" as it might've come off...

LMFAO!
Phineas is a Walrus or Otter, not a Monkey!
He's been there every time I went to the city O_O ( 3 times)
I got a bubble wand, a yellow balloon, and a pinwheel.
Oh, I've never seen him, so I was going by what I've seen. I thought I saw a picture in the guide book of a monkey holding the balloons, and I thought that was him.

Regardless, I still haven't seen him. *Shrug*

XACE-K

Smash Master
Are you talking about the city or the game? Because I'm very happy with the game. I just think the city is rather lacking, and I felt like making fun of the city's flaws. It wasn't supposed to be a serious, "BLARGG I HATE THE CITY IT SHOULD BURN IN HELL!!!!" as it might've come off...
Agreed. The city disappoints me. The part I like about it is that you can see Resetti or Don in it on the right part of it. Problem is, it's on random days so you just have to keep looking.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Bah, I hate the Flea Market. I recall a time in Wild World when you could sell things for TWICE their worth. I remember selling a Hammerhead Shark for 16,000 Bells, which was awesome.

Now I'm trying to sell things in City Folk, and the animals won't even buy things for what they're worth. Or lower. I tried selling my Mahjong Table (worth 4,200 Bells). I went from 8,400 all the way down to 3,000 Bells and finally decided that Elmer is a cheap prick of a horse that I'm not going to bother with, and shoved him out of my house.

M.K

Level 55
Bah, I hate the Flea Market. I recall a time in Wild World when you could sell things for TWICE their worth. I remember selling a Hammerhead Shark for 16,000 Bells, which was awesome.

Now I'm trying to sell things in City Folk, and the animals won't even buy things for what they're worth. Or lower. I tried selling my Mahjong Table (worth 4,200 Bells). I went from 8,400 all the way down to 3,000 Bells and finally decided that Elmer is a cheap prick of a horse that I'm not going to bother with, and shoved him out of my house.
NO KIDDING!

I sold a Daffodil for 320 f***ing bells. Like, I bought that thing for...800-1000.
Stupid Amelia and her hawkish ways.
Of course I'm a human supremacist, but that doesn't mean all those free-loading eagles can come all up in here and steal my FLOWERS.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
NO KIDDING!

I sold a Daffodil for 320 f***ing bells. Like, I bought that thing for...800-1000.
Stupid Amelia and her hawkish ways.
Of course I'm a human supremacist, but that doesn't mean all those free-loading eagles can come all up in here and steal my FLOWERS.
Apparently, these guys have been around Tom Nook too much. Buying things back for a fraction of the price they'd sell it to you for...
I'm all for not ripping people off, but all I asked for was twice the profit! I don't want to LOSE money.
Hell, even getting back the same amount of money would've been nice.

Also, guess what...SOMEHOW, my Tom Nook is fully upgraded now! Yay!
But the Prima Guide lies (surprise, surprise), clearly. It says you need 90,000 Bells spent for NOOKWAY, and I haven't even spent that much and have a Nookington's.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Although I'm not certain, I'm pretty sure the book is wrong, and the upgrades are based on time (because most people I've talked to today got a message on their board saying nook was upgrading tomorrow, and since I and most other people got their game on day one, it'd be one heck of a coincidence if it wasn't based on time).

And I'm guessing you time travel, Firus?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Although I'm not certain, I'm pretty sure the book is wrong, and the upgrades are based on time (because most people I've talked to today got a message on their board saying nook was upgrading tomorrow, and since I and most other people got their game on day one, it'd be one heck of a coincidence if it wasn't based on time).

And I'm guessing you time travel, Firus?
I wouldn't say they're based on time...because I know two people whose shops haven't upgraded yet (at all). One of my friends thought that your debt went towards upgrading the shop, so he hadn't spent that much in the shop and was instead trying to upgrade it that way. I think the guide just has the amounts wrong.

On one hand, that WOULD be a heck of a coincidence. On the other hand, I got two presents within a half an hour that were seemingly caused by the Disinterest emote, and clearly they weren't (especially since I've tried it a few more times). This game seems to be full of coincidences.

I do time travel, but I did more than just a day's worth. I went back to the beginning of November.

Top Bottom