• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An index of "leaks" and status: forbrawlbattle's "second post" and Brawl360 removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Are you serious?
Nothing is hard about leaking the roster, but say Serebii didn't sign an NDA but in turn gave his word that he wouldn't tell. If you were in his shoes you'd leak it anyway? If this is the case, isn't that something to be honored?
If he did sign a NDA, thats a different story. He may be doing everything he can to lead us in the right direction. Right now (at least I don't know) which is the case, but you shouldn't bash him regardless.
I'm not bashing him. I'm just saying proceed with caution and until he says anything concrete (or posts screenshots), the safest course of action is to believe he knows absolutely nothing.

webrunner

Smash Apprentice
There's a double edged sword here:
IF you know something, AND are trustworthy, you have a problem:
You can either:
1) leak it anonymously, in which case nobody will believe you since they have no way of trusting you or
b) leak it under your trustworthy name, in which case those who would want to know who leaked would be able to find you.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Agreed, but what good is having a reputation for being in the know if you never tell?

When the IGN mod leaked the roster, no one jumped down his throat about being a leak. In fact, I believe he suffered zero ramifications.

I'm not convinced. These aren't government secrets we're talking about here. It's the list of fictional characters which will appear in a computer simulation.

And the honorable thing to do if you know the SSBB roster would be to remain silent upon the subject, and I mean say NOTHING to anyone. That way, you're not lording information over others but you're also not betraying your source.

YosterDragon

Smash Apprentice
Are you serious?
Nothing is hard about leaking the roster, but say Serebii didn't sign an NDA but in turn gave his word that he wouldn't tell. If you were in his shoes you'd leak it anyway? If this is the case, isn't that something to be honored?
If he did sign a NDA, thats a different story. He may be doing everything he can to lead us in the right direction. Right now (at least I don't know) which is the case, but you shouldn't bash him regardless.
Glad to see that someone understands what I'm talking about.

Of course Serebii could leak the roster (or whatever he knows) via already discussed means, and avoid repercussion. But just the fact that he did it, after giving his word that he wouldn't, is what makes it not cool. Getting away with it doesn't make it like it never happened. And there's no absolute guarantee at all that he could get away with it, either.

Reptilian Overlord

Smash Rookie
If Serebii is withholding information purely as a "promise between friends", why did he let it be known that he had insider information in the first place? That alone is technically breaking the promise.

Also, I have a question for the users who are incapable of doubting Serebii: What will you do if Serebii is wrong? Of course, we will have no way of knowing whether he was or not since he won't reveal his supposed information until after the game is released. But what if he did, and was wrong? More importanly, what will Serebii do if his source was wrong? (Or his source's source)

You may ask in turn, what would the doubters do if he was right? In my case, the answer is absolutely nothing. It does not affect me in any way whether he is right or wrong. The only thing that bothers me is that many are following his word as law based soley on the fact that he had Pokemon info.

I am not attacking or bashing him, I am just doubting him, or more specifically, his source. Also, I am somewhat trying to see if others can think outside the box and blind favoritism. Apparently, that is some sort of a "crime" on here...

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Anyone with a bit of brainpower can be anonymous on the internet.

Trust me.
And if you tell variations of a story to bunch of people, it's pretty easy to figure out which guy is regurgitating which story, combined with the fact that the guy would probably disclose the information to his own favorite haunts.

MilesPrower

Smash Journeyman
I figure the only reason he's not leaking it Smash_Brother is so when the time comes (say Jan. 30th) he'll post it on his website so people will go to it. If he leaks it now as another identity, he won't have as much credit to himself and his site.

He already "stated" something about his hits and his website mean nothing, but this is probably just another reason why he's not revealing anything yet/as another person.

I do find it funny though that he's spending so much time here and there doing this kind of stuff..
And sorta claiming he knows stuff? If I knew stuff and didn't want all this attention, I wouldn't have even said so to begin with.
And even if he does mention he knows stuff, he could just hide away instead of coming here, there, and everywhere.
Confusing.

But, in Serebii's defense (OH MY GOD), what would he be able to leak in order for us to know he's the real deal? A PokeBall Pokemon? lol. For all we know, there could be like 300 PokeBall Pokemon. PCs? That's waaay too good.

What else is there?

He can't reveal his source; they might get in trouble.

All in all though, Smash_Brother has brought it to the table tonight IMO. Good ideas. At least something different, anyway.

The whole Serebii arguement is old, but it's in the fitting thread........

YosterDragon

Smash Apprentice
If Serebii is withholding information purely as a "promise between friends", why did he let it be known that he had insider information in the first place? That alone is technically breaking the promise.
That's a good point. But then again, we don't really know the true circumstances, do we? And it's not like the attitude should be "Well crap, they know that I know, so what's the point in not telling now?"

Anyone with a bit of brainpower can be anonymous on the internet.

Trust me.
So I should trust you implicitly and not Serebii? ;)

But anyways, that's not the point. The point is, just because he could get away with it, doesn't mean he should. Just knowing himself that he lied to his source and broke his word should be reason enough, on a personal level, not to tell us what he knows.

Again, who's more important to Serebii, us random forum-goers or his source?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
And if you tell variations of a story to bunch of people, it's pretty easy to figure out which guy is regurgitating which story, combined with the fact that the guy would probably disclose the information to his own favorite haunts.
True, and that's how fake leaks are found out on forums.

But if you have a blog on an offshore server, no one can touch you, especially if your story never changes.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
True, and that's how fake leaks are found out on forums.

But if you have a blog on an offshore server, no one can touch you, especially if your story never changes.
You COULD go to that trouble, OR, you could have a microbe of self-control and a conscience and WAIT.

EDIT: 100!!! Time to take off the training wheels

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I do find it funny though that he's spending so much time here and there doing this kind of stuff..
And sorta claiming he knows stuff? If I knew stuff and didn't want all this attention, I wouldn't have even said so to begin with.
And even if he does mention he knows stuff, he could just hide away instead of coming here, there, and everywhere.
Confusing.
That was my take on the matter. If you're not doing this for the attention, why do it? Even under the noble rationale of debunking other rosters, there will be an infinite number of those rosters and eventually you're going to have to lie.

It's more trouble than it's worth.

So I should trust you implicitly and not Serebii? ;)
Hey, I gave you a numbered list of steps to post anonymously already. I delivered. ;)

Revven

FrankerZ
The question is this: Would you jeopardize someone else's job for the sake of revealing a roster to people you don't even know? If so, that's not smart at all. Your source wouldn't trust you anymore and you'd lose any future information regarding the franchise you're covering and you lose your site as well as a job of doing so because your source tells everybody and their brother about what happened. You'd be out of a job, lose lots of years of reputation, and lose all the work you've been doing for the past couple of years that could be put in the category of "wasted".

I don't think you'd want that to happen to yourself.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The other larger issue here is this: if you have a source you don't want to betray, why mention that you know anything at all to ANYONE if you can't tell them? To protect them from fake rosters? Nah!

Here's an apt metaphor:

This is like going to a bar at a hotel, rounding up all the girls there and taking them to your hotel room, even though you're in a committed relationship and aren't supposed to do anything.

Why did you round all those girls up? To protect them from the other sleazy guys in the bar who might do them wrong. Trouble is, now you're locked in a hotel room full of girls looking for action who aren't going to leave you alone.

That's where this Joe character is, metaphorically: he can't reveal the roster (do anything with the girls), but the posters (aka the girls) know he has something they want.

The real truth is that it's not his job to "protect" people from false rosters. If people don't have the good common sense to ignore them until official info has been released, it really is their own fault and it's absolutely no fault of his if he doesn't swat down fake rosters.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

YosterDragon

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I gave you a numbered list of steps to post anonymously already. I delivered. ;)
Hehe, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree :)

After all, by the end of the month this'll be a moot point anyways, thank goodness. Brawl can't get here (or at least the knowledge of its roster) soon enough.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The question is this: Would you jeopardize someone else's job for the sake of revealing a roster to people you don't even know? If so, that's not smart at all. Your source wouldn't trust you anymore and you'd lose any future information regarding the franchise you're covering and you lose your site as well as a job of doing so because your source tells everybody and their brother about what happened. You'd be out of a job, lose lots of years of reputation, and lose all the work you've been doing for the past couple of years that could be put in the category of "wasted".

I don't think you'd want that to happen to yourself.
First of all, that's being a bit overdramatic: they're not going to send hired goons to his house to kick the crap out of him over a leaked roster, nor will his site be shut down for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Second...

"Your source wouldn't trust you anymore and you'd lose any future information regarding the franchise you're covering"

Why have it at all if you can't share it?

If God himself materialized on earth and gave the secret of life to someone, if that person never told anyone, they might as well have never known it at all.

So again, the whole thing is pointless and ultimately an exercise in futility.

I'm quite certain that someone will leak the game before Joe Serebii does and whether he knew anything or not will be completely irrelevant.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Hehe, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree :)
Years from now, when you need to get some illicit information up on the internet, you'll go to "Myspace Pakistan" and you'll be thankful for my advice.

After all, by the end of the month this'll be a moot point anyways, thank goodness. Brawl can't get here (or at least the knowledge of its roster) soon enough.
I'll be VERY happy when this is all over with.

I'm so sick of people looking for attention with fake rosters and info...

cunning

Smash Rookie
Dudes, the only thing Serebii has ever actually come out and said is "So-and-so is a liar." Well--how many of the so-called prophets that Serebii refuted have since been proven false for other reasons? Maybe half? And is there any good reason to believe any of the rest of them? Not that I can see. Even if he isn't in possession of any secret Brawl-related information, he's still the most trustworthy person listed on the first page.

Serebii, just keep telling us these other guys are liars. I have no problem buying into your skepticism. Maybe you can add "The guy above me is full of crap" to your sigline...

Revven

FrankerZ
First of all, that's being a bit overdramatic...
Most of it is a bit exaggerated, I will admit. However, his source would most likely not trust Serebii anymore had he decided to reveal what he knows that we don't know. The truth of the matter is this: Serebii doesn't want to lose that trust, it doesn't matter if he knows some things or even everything and won't tell us. It's at his discretion to do what he wants and if he wanted to let us know he had a source, then he can, and he did. It's not any of our business to question his actions.

Second...

"Your source wouldn't trust you anymore and you'd lose any future information regarding the franchise you're covering"

Why have it at all if you can't share it?
To eventually give it out when given permission to... even IGN's Matt Cassamasina (sp?) has his own sources that tell him things WEEKS in advance. He even knew about NiGHTS Journey of Dreams and M&S at the Olympic Games before we did. He was never allowed to tell though, he was only allowed to give subtle hints, and even then those had to be ambiguous and cryptic. People like him get information earlier because they want it earlier so they can put it up on their site the minute they're told to. You aren't given permission to do anything with the information you received until a later date UNLESS, it is an exclusive.

If God himself materialized on earth and gave the secret of life to someone, if that person never told anyone, they might as well have never known it at all.
Not true. That person could use it for themselves and had a great life. It was useful information regardless of spreading it or not. This is silly... :laugh:

So again, the whole thing is pointless and ultimately an exercise in futility.
Your opinion, not Serebii's. So, why bother questioning what he does in the first place if you believe it is pointless to know anything? It's none of your business with what Serebii chooses to do so why question it? Why argue against the "idiocy"? (Which is your opinion in the first place).

I'm quite certain that someone will leak the game before Joe Serebii does and whether he knew anything or not will be completely irrelevant.
So, again, WHY question Serebii? Why pester him? He's not going to do any favors for you and tell you everything just because you think it is illogical to know something and then not be allowed to tell anyone. I think this is just silly and you should just let go of it.

The same goes for everyone else. Let go of it plz.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Dudes, the only thing Serebii has ever actually come out and said is "So-and-so is a liar." Well--how many of the so-called prophets that Serebii refuted have since been proven false for other reasons? Maybe half? And is there any good reason to believe any of the rest of them? Not that I can see. Even if he isn't in possession of any secret Brawl-related information, he's still the most trustworthy person listed on the first page.

Serebii, just keep telling us these other guys are liars. I have no problem buying into your skepticism. Maybe you can add "The guy above me is full of crap" to your sigline...
I've been saying that they're all full of sh*t since day one (as have several hundred others).

I think that makes us ALL more trustworthy if he's only denying half of them. ;)

Zevox

Smash Lord

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
So, again, WHY question Serebii? Why pester him? He's not going to do any favors for you and tell you everything just because you think it is illogical to know something and then not be allowed to tell anyone. I think this is just silly and you should just let go of it.

No one is questioning or pestering him.

All I'm doing is holding him to the same perfectly acceptable standards that everyone else claiming to have insider info is being held to.

skiks

Smash Cadet
So you're just pissed Serebii won't give a straight answer and just deconfirm things? Really now. Just try to infer what he means. You've been doing it up till now.
For one we can see Lucario should be in although there is no straight answer to this.
Another we see Mewtwo may have been cut.
And no I wouldn't think he'd ever get any false info seeing how he has 4 generations of pokemon under his belt. Yeah Yeah pokemon may not be brawl but then I have to remind you again that pokemon related things are most of what he knows. Maybe he knows a bit more but it doesn't matter. He won't tell you. Honestly if you can't see why he's showing restraint I can't really bother trying to talk sense into you.
Anyways getting worked up over grain of salt leaks at most should only open your eyes to what could happen. Not what will. If you take it too seriously you'll become a bit bitter.

Revven

FrankerZ
No one is questioning or pestering him.
Questioning as in questioning his trustworthiness or rather his credibility. Pestering as in bothering him about his credibility. It's really been the same things said over and over again.

All I'm doing is holding him to the same perfectly acceptable standards that everyone else claiming to have insider info is being held to.
Which makes you posting completely redundant in the first place because what you've said has been said already and is just clogging up the thread with useless banter about Serebii's credibility or about how he compares to every other "leaker".

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
So you're just pissed Serebii won't give a straight answer and just deconfirm things? Really now. Just try to infer what he means. You've been doing it up till now.
For one we can see Lucario should be in although there is no straight answer to this.
Another we see Mewtwo may have been cut.
And no I wouldn't think he'd ever get any false info seeing how he has 4 generations of pokemon under his belt. Yeah Yeah pokemon may not be brawl but then I have to remind you again that pokemon related things are most of what he knows. Maybe he knows a bit more but it doesn't matter. He won't tell you. Honestly if you can't see why he's showing restraint I can't really bother trying to talk sense into you.
Anyways getting worked up over grain of salt leaks at most should only open your eyes to what could happen. Not what will. If you take it too seriously you'll become a bit bitter.
And there you go asking me to give special consideration to a prophet because of some former reputation I've never heard of.

The simple point was that there's a 99% chance that every last one of these prophets is completely full of it and if they happen to get ANY of their predictions right, it'll be completely by luck.

skiks

Smash Cadet
And there you go asking me to give special consideration to a prophet because of some former reputation I've never heard of.

The simple point was that there's a 99% chance that every last one of these prophets is completely full of it and if they happen to get ANY of their predictions right, it'll be completely by luck.
And there you go not listening to reason. Just because you haven't heard of X guy there doesn't mean you can debunk him so easily.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Which makes you posting completely redundant in the first place because what you've said has been said already and is just clogging up the thread with useless banter about Serebii's credibility or about how he compares to every other "leaker".
People were bringing him up so regularly I addressed him alone.

Earlier in the thread, I posted debunking something Rapscouter had posted. Had people been touting Rapscouter's predictions, I'd have addressed those directly as well.

Bottom line, information that cannot be backed up with screen shots isn't real, period.

And I won't apologize or even change my mind if any one of these prophets turns out to be right.

If 5,000 zombies have attacked, I won't feel the slightest shred of guilt for shooting that one guy who was dressed up like a zombie for a halloween party.

skiks

Smash Cadet
People were bringing him up so regularly I addressed him alone.

Earlier in the thread, I posted debunking something Rapscouter had posted. Had people been touting Rapscouter's predictions, I'd have addressed those directly as well.

Bottom line, information that cannot be backed up with screen shots isn't real, period.

And I won't apologize or even change my mind if any one of these prophets turns out to be right.

If 5,000 zombies have attacked, I won't feel the slightest shred of guilt for shooting that one guy who was dressed up for a halloween party.
Cool. Even if they were right they were wrong. Can't argue that!

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
And there you go not listening to reason. Just because you haven't heard of X guy there doesn't mean you can debunk him so easily.
Give me a list of ALL the information Serebii Joe has posted and I'll go down the list and point out why all of it is completely circumstantial and is safer ignored than taken to heart.

Please, gather that list up for me because I'm certainly not going to waste my time doing it.

Cool. Even if they were right they were wrong. Can't argue that!
When they could've been right completely by luck, sure.

The other issue is that it won't matter very soon because I'm quite certain the information will be leaked before Joe posts it so we'll never know if he had any actual info or not.

skiks

Smash Cadet
Give me a list of ALL the information Serebii Joe has posted and I'll go down the list and point out why all of it is completely circumstantial and is safer ignored than taken to heart.

Please, gather that list up for me because I'm certainly not going to waste my time doing it.
It's all in the front of the page. The only thing I'd changed is pichu has no place in brawl from what I've seen. Mewtwo has been implied to be cut and Lucario has been implied in. Thats the only extra info I'll add on.
You can really debate about this all day but it's really not gonna help.

Pendragonslayer

Smash Cadet
Smash Brother: Do you have any idea who Serebii is? ...seriously, the guy's got a reputation. Not to mention he could get in tremendous legal trouble. Not to mention it probably bugs the crap outta him to see all kinds of fake rosters popping up, and is doing us a FAVOR by discrediting them.

Honestly, you're just coming across as ignorant.

Anyways, EXCELLENT thread MajinNecro, keep up the great work :) I just wonder how many of these fake "prophets" only made up a list so they could get their couple hours of fame on the topic title of this thread... :(

Reptilian Overlord

Smash Rookie

I could care less if he reveals it or not, and I'm not expecting him to do any favors, especially since he didn't even the questions I had about lawsuits last night.

But to all these staunch defenders of Serebii who say to just leave him alone, no. Oh dear god, I am actually asking legitimate questions (not about the roster) and doubting the creditbility of this "almighty god", and now his loyal minions must see to it that I and anyone else who doubts him are silenced. This is absolutely ridiculous. This is the whole reason I posted in the first place, I hate this kind of attitude and have seen it throughout the whole thread.

As Smash Brother pointed out, if Serebii wanted to be left alone (and in this case, his followers wanted him to be left alone) then he shouldn't have said that he knows anything in the first place.

It's fine if the Serebii supporters don't agree with me, I don't expect them too. But don't tell the rest of us to "stop questioning his credibility" or "leave him alone" He is, quite frankly, not doing a thing right now except debunking rosters with his supposed info. Why should I just sit here and accept his supposed word an treat him diffrent then the rest of the leakers, when he is barely doing anything? I have every right to question his credibility (or his source's credibility, specifically) and motives, as this is a free forum, and I am in no way flaming or bashing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom