• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An index of "leaks" and status: forbrawlbattle's "second post" and Brawl360 removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiks

Smash Cadet
Hmm...it seems Serebii has pulled a "Mitt Romney" and refused to answer any of my questions about this whole lawsuit buisness. Either I am "beneath him" and not worth acknowledging, or he is hiding something.

Quite frankly, I think there are a number of falsities surrounding Serebii and/or his "source". Not necessarily that Serebii would outright lie, but rather I beleive Serebii's "source" is feeding him false information of some sort, about the roster, or about what will happen if he tells. It honestly seems as if nothing major will happen if Serebii reveals a text listing of the roster, especially so close to the relase date. So why bother hiding it?

As I said, I know nothing of the intricaticies of these affairs, so I asked some legitimate questions last night while Serebii was on, and this thread was not busy, yet he blatently ignored them. So that leads me to beleive that:

1. Serebii does not have any information (unlikely due to all the Pokemon info he had, and he dosen't seem to be the type to mislead on purpose)

2. Serebii's source is feeding him false information, and telling Serebii not to "leak" this info outright so that he avoids looking like another "false prophet", but still managing to play the little mind games these other "leakers" play, indirectly though Serebii.

3. Serebii and/or his source have true information, but are needlessly paranoid about what will happen if it leaks. There have been numerous leaks of other high profile games in the past, (Soul Calibur 3 even came with photos) so I don't see what makes this game so cloak and dagger, especially since Sakurai himself said that he wasn't as concerned with hidden characters this time.

I do not wish proof of the roster at this point, I wish for proof of if the roster (text only) is indeed leaked, especially through someone who did not directly sign an NDA or whatever, that the "main" leaker WILL be sued for millions and "never work in the video game industry again". If Serebii was questioned by Nintendo as to where he got the information from, he could easily claim an anonymous source. This whole thing reeks of nothing but conspiracy, scare tactics, and mind games.

I would like hard evidence and documentation of these "roster leak lawsuits", otherwise I cannot beleive he "can't reveal anything" unless he is INCREDIBLY paranoid. And neither should the rest of you. It makes no sense as to why so many users on here follow his word as irrefutable proof and law, purely because of the Pokemon info. It IS possible for Serebii's "trusted source" to lie to him about this game after all, as it seems to be the "in" thing to do.
Are you ****ing kidding me.
It's completely ****ing obvious Joe would get in trouble for any leak of the sort even though he only has pokemon information.
Any kind of info leak would have nintendo on his back for doing this. Big or small. Plus you have the fact that it's quiet easy to locate him thanks to his website.
Honestly how old are you that you can't comprehend this simple concept? Stop badgering him about it. At least he can help us debunk some rosters.

raul

Smash Lord
Does anybody see a trend with these "prophets?" Desclosed sources, multiple accounts, willing to only give the vaguest details possible, nearly all the predictions are the same...sounds more and more like another fancy fabrication to me.

Beamblast

Smash Cadet
Hmm..any of you guys think one of these prophets are legit? I'm leaning toward the 64 dude, but it looks like his info contradicts or supports other prophets' info..

Reptilian Overlord

Smash Rookie
Are you ****ing kidding me.
It's completely ****ing obvious Joe would get in trouble for any leak of the sort even though he only has pokemon information.
Any kind of info leak would have nintendo on his back for doing this. Big or small. Plus you have the fact that it's quiet easy to locate him thanks to his website.
Honestly how old are you that you can't comprehend this simple concept? Stop badgering him about it. At least he can help us debunk some rosters.
Actually, it is not obvious that he would be "sued for millions" and "never work in the video game industry again" for such an insignificant leak. If he was to post pictures or videos, or the game itself, then I could understand. But Serebii himself said it was his "source" that he is concerned about recieving the ramifications, and as I pointed out, he could easily claim an anonymous source.

Deej

Smash Rookie
Actually Takamaru has appeared quite a bit on some of these fake roster lists. I wouldn't worry about the lack of Takamaru in some of the lists, though, most of them are pretty much fake in the first place.
Im not too worried. Most of these guys are fake, of that I think we can agree. The trick is to geuss which ones.

Actually, In general, Im impressed with how tight a lid Nintendo has managed to keep on the whole thing. They seemed to have learned how to prevent leaked information. It would not surprise me at all if the roster is nothing like any of these prophets.

skiks

Smash Cadet
Actually, it is not obvious that he would be "sued for millions" and "never work in the video game industry again" for such an insignificant leak. If he was to post pictures or videos, or the game itself, then I could understand. But Serebii himself said it was his "source" that he is concerned about recieving the ramifications, and as I pointed out, he could easily claim an anonymous source.
Maybe so but I'm sure nintendo wouldn't mind shutting down his site with the snap of their fingers now would they?
Honestly it's not that hard to wait for him to be willing and able to release some info. It'll probably happen January 30 since Japan is ahead of use by a few hours. I'm sure he'll be the first one to spill the beans on that day to confirm somethings.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Hmm..any of you guys think one of these prophets are legit? I'm leaning toward the 64 dude, but it looks like his info contradicts or supports other prophets' info..
None of them are real, which is why this whole thread is an exercise in futility.

Reptilian Overlord

Smash Rookie
Maybe so but I'm sure nintendo wouldn't mind shutting down his sight with the snap of their fingers now would they?
Well if he didn't leak the info on his site, I don't see how they could do that. If it was on serebii.net though, possibly. And I don't think anyone would expect him to put the info directly on his site anyways.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
You are correct.

Speaking as a guy who has both signed and enforced NDAs, Joe could post the entire roster in text format and no one could fault him for it, let alone sue him.

If he had screenshots of these characters, then they could demand his source but I still doubt they could take any kind of legal action against him unless Nintendo and he have signed a contract together stating that he will not divulge this kind of info.

Frankly, I think you'll see snow in hell before you see Nintendo bothering to sign NDAs with the owners of random fansites so the odds of this are slim.

There was a leak back during the Melee days on IGN when one of the moderators leaked the final Melee roster before the Japanese launch. No one ever sued him because all he did was post text.

Even if someone HAS posted the final roster, Nintendo wouldn't sue them because they could've just as easily guessed correctly as any of the other 1,000 attention-seekers who have been posting roster "leaks".

skiks

Smash Cadet
You are correct.

Speaking as a guy who has both signed and enforced NDAs, Joe could post the entire roster in text format and no one could fault him for it, let alone sue him.

If he had screenshots of these characters, then yes, but otherwise, he cannot be sued for posting anything in text format.

There was a leak back during the Melee days on IGN when one of the moderators leaked the final Melee roster before the Japanese launch. No one ever sued him because all he did was post text.

Even if someone HAS posted the final roster, Nintendo wouldn't sue them because they could've just as easily guessed correctly as any of the other 1,000 attention-seekers who have been posting roster "leaks".
You're comparing something that happened a day before a game as compared to now.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The leak I'm speaking of happened at least a week prior to the release of the game (though I admit I'm hazy on the timeframe).

I'm pretty sure of this because we were yelling at him for at least a week about how much the roster sucked and how much of a liar we thought he was...then the screenshots came out and I went to go throw up.

Reptilian Overlord

Smash Rookie
Thank you for responding Smash Brother, I find it very interesting that I was correct. Serebii's source seems even more fishy now. Not that he dosen't have a source, but rather that his source is just another "prophet" using Serebii as his puppet. Either that, or they are both currently wearing tin foil hats to deflect "brainwashing rays"...

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
I have ChronoBound's story saved on my Firefox Clippings:

Melee's roster was beginning to get leaked way back in August, with the first character being confirmed being Ganondorf (I think via an interview), next was Luigi who was confirmed in an interview I think in September. There was much speculation as to whether Jigglypuff would be cut. Jigglypuff was not exactly popular among casual players, and many thought her to be a joke. However, around mid-October, there was a person claiming to know the entire roster. Many people accused him of being a fraud, a liar, etc. He confirmed that Ganondorf and Luigi were indeed hidden characters (some people said that the interviews meant nothing) and that Jigglypuff would be returning as a playable character. He also deconfirmed Wolf as a playable character. The "leaker" then said that he would not reveal the full-roster until a day before Melee's Japanese release. People continually called him a liar and a fake. So he instead decided to submit his story about knowledge regarding the Melee to some GameCube fansite.

This article appeared November 1st, about twenty days before Melee's Japanese release. People were shocked at what the contents were. Luigi, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and Falco were all believable (as well as Marth for the few people that actually knew him). However, what made the list seem like a complete and utter joke was the inclusion of Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Pichu. Mr. Game & Watch also made little sense to many people at the time. Also, many people confused Roy for Roy Koopa from the Mario series. Also, was the fact that more than half of the hidden characters were clones. Many people were upset to discover that Ganondorf was a Falcon clone. The vast majority of Melee forum goers were angry over this and immediately dismissed this as being fake, however, there were a few believers, much like how people who believe Ness is returning are being squashed right now.

This website immediately apologized for the article after the enormous backlash they received from it saying that the information being supplied to them could be very well be wrong. With this, many Smash fans sighed with relief knowing that the nightmare roster was a fake. However, the nightmare would soon resurface in a few weeks. About a week prior to Melee's release, screenshots of the demon roster started floating around the internet. Pictures of Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link in battle were also around. Many of us thought somebody had too much time on their hands, and was doing this for kicks. There was also the point that Melee's clone boxes were misaligned, surely Sakurai's team would not do a sloppy job on the character selection screen. It was also pointed out that there were two empty space on the screen. A lot of people dismissed these screens as being an elaborate fake.

However, when people actually got their hands on Melee and confirmed the worst, many of the naysayers reluctantly accepted that the leaked roster was the real deal. Many people cursed, screamed, saying that they would boycott Melee and threatened Nintendo and HAL for this abomination of a roster. However, when Melee was released many people angers were put aside by how great Melee was.

skiks

Smash Cadet
The leak I'm speaking of happened at least a week prior to the release of the game (though I admit I'm hazy on the timeframe).

I'm pretty sure of this because we were yelling at him for at least a week about how much the roster sucked and how much of a liar we thought he was...then the screenshots came out and I went to go throw up.
Well even so we still have a bit to go. Honestly it's not that hard to wait. I'm just watching people make theories trying to somehow prove Joe doesn't have any real info even though he has more background then these other people he disproves.
Edit the lag here makes it hard to respond.
Anyways even though said thing did happen Serebii seems to always take the better safe then sorry route. If you disbelieve him fine then just wait till the game comes out and see if any of the debunked lists he said were fake are true.

YosterDragon

Smash Apprentice
Fer crap's sake, have any of you considered that Serebii may be exercising this little thing called "personal integrity?" True, Serebii may have not signed an NDA himself, but it sure seems that his source has. And even if the source hasn't, I'm certain that Serebii has told his source that he won't spill the beans, as it were.

So, if you were in Serebii's shoes, would you go back on your word made to a friend, professional relation (whatever you want to call his source) just to satiate a bunch of anonymous forum fanboys?

I know I wouldn't.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Thanks for the info, fellas.

So to recap, if Serbii Joe or whoever actually knows the roster, unless he has signed a NDA with Nintendo, the only thing keeping him from revealing it in full would have to be the perverse joy he gets from dangling information over people's heads, which doesn't speak kindly about him.

Fer crap's sake, have any of you considered that Serebii may be exercising this little thing called "personal integrity?" True, Serebii may have not signed an NDA himself, but it sure seems that his source has. And even if the source hasn't, I'm certain that Serebii has told his source that he won't spill the beans, as it were.

So, if you were in Serebii's shoes, would you go back on your word made to a friend, professional relation (whatever you want to call his source) just to satiate a bunch of anonymous forum fanboys?

I know I wouldn't.
Nonsense.

If he wanted to reveal the roster, he'd create a name other than Serebii and post it. As time wore on, people would see that each and every prediction was coming true and would in time believe him.

Nintendo would have no way to trace this source: they can't subpoena the site it was posted on and doing so would be an absolute dead giveaway, as then EVERYONE would know he was telling the truth so they'd just have to sit tight and do nothing about it.

If he has it, maybe he already HAS leaked it under another name somewhere, but again, I doubt it as there are no ramifications Nintendo could inflict for him "guessing" the final roster perfectly.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Why is no one singing forbrawlbattle's praises?

He is the only one who has gotten so many right.
Because he has yet to actually successfully predict anything. All of those things he "got right" were already known when he posted that list. Further, one of the ATs he "leaked", Pak E Derm, he described identically to the way thealmightygoat did in his blog, and as we've all since learned, goat boy made everything up. That makes me for one very skeptical of forbrawlbattle, since it means either goat was a very good guesser, both of them independently came up with the same idea, or forbrawlbattle copied goat, and in two of those three cases forbrawlbattle is a fake.

Zevox

Deej

Smash Rookie

So to recap, if Serbii Joe or whoever actually knows the roster, unless he has signed a NDA with Nintendo, the only thing keeping him from revealing it in full would have to be the perverse joy he gets from dangling information over people's heads, which doesn't speak kindly about him.

Actually, I think your all missing the point. The only thing stopping him from revealing what he knows is that he doesnt want too. Face it.

skiks

Smash Cadet

Nonsense.

If he wanted to reveal the roster, he'd create a name other than Serebii and post it. As time wore on, people would see that each and every prediction was coming true and would in time believe him.

Nintendo would have no way to trace this source: they can't subpoena the site it was posted on and doing so would be an absolute dead giveaway, as then EVERYONE would know he was telling the truth so they'd just have to sit tight and do nothing about it.

If he has it, maybe he already HAS leaked it under another name somewhere, but again, I doubt it as there are no ramifications Nintendo could inflict for him "guessing" the final roster perfectly.
And you also have to remember he only knows anything Pokemon related.
Again.
POKEMON RELATED
And if he did do that would you even believe this random new account. He won't spill anything. Deal with it.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Actually, I think your all missing the point. The only thing stopping him from revealing what he knows is that he doesnt want too. Face it.
Ask yourself: if YOU had the SSBB roster list in your hands, could any force on earth stop you from sharing it?

Unless I had a NDA signed that would allow Nintendo to broil my nuts if I blabbed, I'd get that sucker all over the internet in no time flat.

skiks

Smash Cadet
Ask yourself: if YOU had the SSBB roster list in your hands, could any force on earth stop you from sharing it?

Unless I had a NDA signed that would allow Nintendo to broil my nuts if I blabbed, I'd get that sucker all over the internet in no time flat.
Difference is you're not trying to keep a professional partnership up with someone. Of course the source would be peeved if said info comes out when he says not to post it.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Difference is you're not trying to keep a professional partnership up with someone. Of course the source would be peeved if said info comes out when he says not to post it.
...which is why he could post in anonymously without his source ever knowing.

The process:

1. You learn the SSBB roster.

2. You create an anonymous blog somewhere where your posts won't be deleted by mods. You can do this on a blog site in another country where Nintendo couldn't threaten legal action because local law doesn't care just to be safe (this is how a lot of piracy sites function).

3. Post the full roster and then link to it on lots of forums.

What's so hard about that?

Mad555

Smash Ace
In Smithy's Factory Mains: Fox, Sheik Brawl Mains:
Out of all the leakers, I think ChaoticImplosion (however you say his name) is the worst.
Why?
Well in his first post he tried to deconfirmed what could be half of the roster.
He deconfirmed Krystal, but Im pretty sure shes playable.
One guy responded to his post by saying "So Star Fox will only be represented by Fox & Wolf?"
Chaotic said "well you never know who is going to be in the roster, Sakurai always likes to mess with us" or something like that
It look like he didnt know how to respond to that question.
Theres are other reasons I think he's a fake but I'll explain later.

Shockingly, nothing yet has deconfirmed what he said would happened. Heres hoping he is proved fake soon.

RoboPlato

Smash Rookie
If I had the roster and it wasn't due to a screw up at a retail chain or something, I probably would be doing the same as Serebii. He's trying to help out so that people don't get hyped up over stupid fakes and attention whores while maintaining strong ties with his industry contacts. He's not trying to say, "Look at me! I know and you don't," like most of the other fakes. He's not even trying to pass off any info. Just because someone who has contacts has information it does not mean that you are entitled do it. Risking legal action or burning bridges is not worth leaking information 2 weeks away from when it will be freely available.

Reptilian Overlord

Smash Rookie
Well even so we still have a bit to go. Honestly it's not that hard to wait. I'm just watching people make theories trying to somehow prove Joe doesn't have any real info even though he has more background then these other people he disproves.
What exactly makes Serebii immune to being fed false information himself? Has anyone besides me even considered the possibility that Serebii's source is lying to him? And when exactly is Serebii going to reveal his information? After the game is out, and most of the information will already be known? Are you really still going to beleive him then? At that point, anyone with past credible info could say "Oh, I had the roster all along, but I just didn't want to tell anyone because my source would get in trouble" Just to note, I'm not attacking Serebii or anything, as I greatly appreciated his D/P information. I just honestly cannot comprehend how so many users take his word on Brawl as unquestionable law.

I don't care about the roster leaking now either (though the prophets are getting annoying), but I am sitting here watching many blindly follow someone who, while having insider info in the past, has absolutely no proof of having info in this game, and gives all these various castastrophic consequences as the reason he can't leak a simple text roster. The worst part is that he has no concrete proof of those consequences happening either. As I have pointed out several times, there have been much more siginificant leaks of other high profile games. WHAT MAKES BRAWL SO DIFFERENT?! Especially since Sakurai himself said, and I quote from Dojo:

"But even without this mode, given the proliferation of the Internet these days, the existence of hidden characters is going to get exposed anyway.

So, this time I’m moving in the direction of not being too hung up on hidden characters."

Smash_Brother said:

The process:

2. You create an anonymous blog somewhere where your posts won't be deleted by mods. You can do this on a blog site in another country where Nintendo couldn't threaten legal action because local law doesn't care just to be safe (this is how a lot of piracy sites function).

Quote for truth.

Revven

FrankerZ

The process:

Nothing is hard about it at all. However, they would have the way to track where Serebii has been. They'd track his IP, which is universal no matter what account you make. Unless he goes somewhere else for another computer to post the information, he wouldn't dare to do so. Please, just go look at his old posts and you will see what he has to say about this.

You guys are going over old **** that has been brought up again and again, can we PLEASE let this age old theory of "OMG SEREBII LIES" die? It's bull**** brought up by people who have not known Serebii long enough to trust him. Just live with the fact that he has sources, okay? Okay.

I'm done.

Reptilian Overlord

Smash Rookie
You guys are going over old **** that has been brought up again and again, can we PLEASE let this age old theory of "OMG SEREBII LIES" die? It's bull**** brought up by people who have not known Serebii long enough to trust him. Just live with the fact that he has sources, okay? Okay.
I hate having to reiterate myself, but this forum is moving slower then the real leak for some reason, so perhaps my post was missed. I followed Serebii from the beginning of the D/P leak, and trusted him completely. I would normally be inclined to trust him on this, but he has just given no signs of proof, and shady, inconclusive, indefintate reasons both to his deconfirmations, and as to why he cannot leak. And as I just said in my previous post, has ANYONE considered the possibility that Serebii's source is lying to him, or is misinformed?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Nothing is hard about it at all. However, they would have the way to track where Serebii has been. They'd track his IP, which is universal no matter what account you make. Unless he goes somewhere else for another computer to post the information, he wouldn't dare to do so. Please, just go look at his old posts and you will see what he has to say about this.

I'm not saying he lies (I have no idea who he even is). I'm just applying the infallible blanket rule to him.

Second, in order for an IP address to be traced, the website it's being used on needs to be subpoenaed for information.

Now, if you have a blog hosted on a site in, say, Bolivia and Nintendo tries to subpoena this Bolivian site for the IP address of the blogger, the Bolivian site is under absolutely no obligation to release that information to Nintendo, especially since they're not violating any Bolivian copyright law and the website admin isn't going to do any extra work that he doesn't have to, especially if it compromises a blogger who would no doubt be generating piles of hits for the advertisers.

Trust me on this: sites hosting pirated movies and music do this all the time and they cannot be touched unless the company being wronged hires mercenaries to go hunt them down (not out of the question for Nintendo, but still unlikely).

I don't know him and I don't care.

All I know is:

1. There's nothing stopping him from revealing the full roster if he has it.

2. His sources could just as easily be wrong (or maybe his source's sources are wrong).

3. He could easily not have a shred of actual information any more than you or I do.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman

Most of us are civilized upright mammals with self-control. Get a grip on yourself, for God's sakes. Take a deep breath and get a drink of water.

If someone tells you a secret, what kind of scumbag are you if you go and tell everyone (even if you don't say who it was) because you're a spastic kid who can't control himself? Who would want to ever share information with that person again?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Who would want to ever share information with that person again?
Someone who had no clue he gave the information away.

I don't think people here quite understand how easy it is to be completely anonymous on the internet...

And what would the source do? Accuse the leak?

Source: HEY YOU GAVE THE INFO I GAVE YOU AWAY!!!!

Leak: No, I didn't.

Source: THEN WHO DID, WISEGUY?

Leak: Maybe one of the other 3,000 people who could know the final roster?

Source: Oh yeah, them...

Elysium

Smash Lord

The process:

Are you serious?
Nothing is hard about leaking the roster, but say Serebii didn't sign an NDA but in turn gave his word that he wouldn't tell. If you were in his shoes you'd leak it anyway? If this is the case, isn't that something to be honored?
If he did sign a NDA, thats a different story. He may be doing everything he can to lead us in the right direction. Right now (at least I don't know) which is the case, but you shouldn't bash him regardless.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
I think Serebii knows (or at least, thinks he knows) more than just Pokemon info. He's not said it, but he did say at some point "Who said i only know Pokemon info?"

I've tried getting him to share, but no luck. And personally, i don't take and 'leaker' info as fact, even Serebii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom