• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All newcomers were leaked along Little Mac, Pac Man and the Miis

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Unfortunately, this is probably true. Kinda sucks for me since I don't care for any of them.

At least there will be other reveals to get excited over.
That won't happen but they may be the only new starters in the game.
Given that Sakurai has relegated Snake and Sonic to unlockable positions despited being reveale, I highly doubt we will see Mega Man or Pac-Man as starters.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Mii as customisable moveset character. I'm calling it like I talked about pre-E3.

He did say he was predicting unlikely characters. What made him think that Little Mac was unlikely?
But in another post he said he has inside information and a friend within Nintendo.
He also showed us some leaked documentation.
He was just being coy with the unlikely part.

Unfortunately, this is probably true. Kinda sucks for me since I don't care for any of them.

At least there will be other reveals to get excited over.Given that Sakurai has relegated Snake and Sonic to unlockable positions despited being reveale, I highly doubt we will see Mega Man or Pac-Man as starters.
Ofcourse. I meant aside from those.

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
I really do not want Miis in this game. I never use them so it be a waste of a slot for me. Also not to keen on Little Mac. Along with that I rather have Ms.Pacman than Pacman(my mom used to play ms.pacman nonstop when i was younger so im more attached to her)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Mii as customisable moveset character. I'm calling it like I talked about pre-E3.
Customizable movesets would be a nightmare for balance, so let's hope not.

Plus, where would you customize it? Are you going to jump back through one or two menus every time somebody picks the Mii and decides that they want a different move, or force everybody to wait while you sift through 10-20 moves on the character select screen? Sounds really clunky and not like something Sakurai would do.

I'm quite willing to credit the source as possibly legit, but if we don't see three more characters tomorrow the excuse of "well Nintendo decided to change their plans last-minute!" is a bit weak.

If this dude's legit I really hope he holds off on spoiling the rest of the roster, because there would be no way for me to avoid that, and having the entire hype train shut down by one idiot running off his mouth would really suck.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Yeah i was about to post that gamefaqs thread. It's very likely to be real.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I really, really, really, don't want this to be true.

But like, it's so unlikely for someone to have guessed wii fit trainer, megaman and villager, so unless they're messing with us, I think the other 3 are legit.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Dammit I'm actually warming up to the idea of miis in smash bros. Someone knock some sense into me!
The moveset will be fun for sure. I just can't fathom how they won't look terrible next to actual character models, and at most the face could be customizable, which will still be really annoying for online.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Customizable movesets would be a nightmare for balance, so let's hope not.

Plus, where would you customize it? Are you going to jump back through one or two menus every time somebody picks the Mii and decides that they want a different move, or force everybody to wait while you sift through 10-20 moves on the character select screen? Sounds really clunky and not like something Sakurai would do.

I'm quite willing to credit the source as possibly legit, but if we don't see three more characters tomorrow the excuse of "well Nintendo decided to change their plans last-minute!" is a bit weak.

If this dude's legit I really hope he holds off on spoiling the rest of the roster, because there would be no way for me to avoid that, and having the entire hype train shut down by one idiot running off his mouth would really suck.
It may not sound like something Sakurai would do, but it is something he specifically talked about doing about a year ago.

Would be stupid to rule it off if they aren't announced tomorrow.
They probably won't. I'd say they were just set for early DOJO announcements or something.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I really, really, really, don't want this to be true.

But like, it's so unlikely for someone to have guessed wii fit trainer, megaman and villager, so unless they're messing with us, I think the other 3 are legit.
Wii Fit Trainer is the only real anomaly. Villager is unlikely but possible, and Mega Man was one of the safest predictions there is. Still, it's quite possibly legit.

Would be stupid to rule it off if they aren't announced tomorrow.
They probably won't. I'd say they were just set for early DOJO announcements or something.
If the rumor said "they'll be announced at E3", and then they aren't announced at E3, I see no reason to believe an empty prophecy. They're all likely inclusions nonetheless, of course.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Villager and Mega Man weren't that hard to guess. Plenty of people had them in their final prediction rosters, just not predicted for E3 reveals. Same goes for Little Mac, Pacman and Mii. Those five aren't exactly unsupported characters. Wii Fit Trainer is the only weirdness and I'm not calling it until I see it.

Also that would be the most insanely weak hype-generation reveal in history, with only Mega Man and Pacman generating interest. If they've got any sense at all they'll show one of the NINTENDO heavyweights, such as Ridley, King K.Rool or Mewtwo.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Villager and Mega Man weren't that hard to guess. Plenty of people had them in their final prediction rosters, just not predicted for E3 reveals. Same goes for Little Mac, Pacman and Mii. Those five aren't exactly unsupported characters. Wii Fit Trainer is the only weirdness and I'm not calling it until I see it.

Also that would be the most insanely weak hype-generation reveal in history, with only Mega Man and Pacman generating interest. If they've got any sense at all they'll show one of the NINTENDO heavyweights, such as Ridley, King K.Rool or Mewtwo.
It'd be weak to some hardcore fans, but WFT has already generated a ton of attention and hype, Little Mac is a much requested character, many people will like the Mii, and Pac-Man will grab attention by virtue of being Pac-Man, even if 3D Pac-Man is kinda lame. It's a solid E3 reveal roster all around, though I'd much rather the Mii and Pac-Man not be in.

Odd that they'd announce both third parties at the same time, but I guess they really want to make people sit up and take notice.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Well hopefully this means that there will be a big roster. I can hope :)
If they announce six newcomers with probably a year to go, we've definitely got a big roster on our hands. Brawl only revealed roughly 5 that far out and gave us, what, 18 newcomers total? (counting PT as 3)

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
It'd be weak to some hardcore fans, but WFT has already generated a ton of attention and hype, Little Mac is a much requested character, many people will like the Mii, and Pac-Man will grab attention by virtue of being Pac-Man, even if 3D Pac-Man is kinda lame. It's a solid E3 reveal roster all around, though I'd much rather the Mii and Pac-Man not be in.

Odd that they'd announce both third parties at the same time, but I guess they really want to make people sit up and take notice.
I don't think the WFT hype is the sort they wanted... who's going to buy the game to play as her?

Little Mac is still too much of a cult figure.

I guess if they do reveal both 3rd parties at once it'll make the Sonic fans go absolutely insane until the full roster is revealed. That's something.

For a franchise that was clearly designed with hardcore Nintendo fanboys in mind, and with current trends toward 90s nostalgia, Mega Man pretty much has this whole thing on his shoulders at the moment.

Kantrip

Kantplay
I really do not want Miis in this game. I never use them so it be a waste of a slot for me. Also not to keen on Little Mac. Along with that I rather have Ms.Pacman than Pacman(my mom used to play ms.pacman nonstop when i was younger so im more attached to her)
This is incredibly selfish.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I don't think the WFT hype is the sort they wanted... who's going to buy the game to play as her?

Little Mac is still too much of a cult figure.
Dunno about that. He's on a heck of a lot of rosters and has real big nostalgia value. Plus, there was a new game recently, no?

For a franchise that was clearly designed with hardcore Nintendo fanboys in mind, and with current trends toward 90s nostalgia, Mega Man pretty much has this whole thing on his shoulders at the moment.
Villager and Little Mac are both decent Nintendo reps, but I agree that they'll need to roll out some more actual Nintendo characters after this, should the rumors be true.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
If true just give me King K. Rool and Ridley and I'm happy.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Dunno about that. He's on a heck of a lot of rosters and has real big nostalgia value. Plus, there was a new game recently, no?

Villager and Little Mac are both decent Nintendo reps, but I agree that they'll need to roll out some more actual Nintendo characters after this, should the rumors be true.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a supporter of both, and I'd be glad to have them in the roster. I've just always been one for starting with a bang, and as someone who doesn't support the inclusion of 3rd party characters, I've been underwhelmed by the characters revealed so far, as if they're opening with the supporting cast instead of the stars.

But like I said, I'm not judging the roster until it's fully revealed. All I'm doing now is questioning their reveal strategy.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I don't want Mii to get in but I was halfway expecting it even before reading this. It's pretty much a no-brainer of a choice.

SmurdeR

Smash Cadet
I'm usually open-minded about anything, but Pacman? His 3D design just creeps me out *shudder*

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
I can handle having Miis in the game, I'll hate it, but I can manage.

If Miis are like, top tier, I don't know if I can handle watching pros playing their miis. Maybe i'll warm up to it.

D

Deleted member

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I can handle having Miis in the game, I'll hate it, but I can manage.

If Miis are like, top tier, I don't know if I can handle watching pros playing their miis. Maybe i'll warm up to it.
Yeah, Mii will in all likelihood be a major eyesore, which is my main concern with them. Even Villager has far more capability to be a detailed model than the Mii.

Anyways, since this rumor is backed by several reputable posters and is quite possibly legit, I'd like to consider the reasons why we did not see a rep today.

Option #1: Nintendo changed its reveal plans prior to E3 with no knowledge of the leak.

I find this somewhat unlikely. The alleged leaker sent his email only a week prior to the conference, and as any E3 rep needs a full cinematic intro trailer of at least ~10-20 seconds plus polished gameplay, I can't imagine that Nintendo would still be scrabbling together three trailers in the work week leading up to the conference. Plus, why wouldn't the leak have sent a further email confirming only the first three once learning of the changes in order to prove his legitimacy? Which leads to:

Option #2: Nintendo caught the leak, and changed its plans as a result.

I find this scenario unlikely as well. Not the part about them catching the leak, because that is certainly plausible. I just can't see Nintendo altering their plans for promoting one of their biggest games at the world's biggest game publisher convention based on a leak that only a tiny minority of the fanbase would read. This scenario also necessitates that Nintendo catch the leak internally rather than reading about it online, because Sakurai said after announcing Miss Fit that she was the last Smash announcement for E3, and he would most likely have no way of learning about the leak via posts online at that point, since WFT's reveal is what solidified the leak's legitimacy.

Option #3: The leaker knew the first three characters, and made up the last three just to mess with us.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. Possible, but impossible to qualify how likely this is.

Option #4: All three characters are going to be debuted together in the same cinematic trailer tomorrow.

This is the most plausible scenario if the leak is legitimate, for my money. Still, it seems a bit of a weird decision, because Pac-Man, Little Mac and the Mii are emphatically not going to generate as much hype in a cinematic trailer as Mega Man. Why end the week on a lower point instead of showing those three first and closing out with Mega Man, Villager and WFT? That said, I can definitely buy this happening, especially since Pac-Man probably rates a more extensive cinematic trailer. Can't wait to see how they'd make that epic, because I'm sure that they will.

Option #5: Some or all of the characters are going to be debuted separately with a short trailer and gameplay on the show floor, just like WFT.

This option is also plausible, though it's odd that Nintendo would skip an entire day in the conference when they could maintain consistent hype with one reveal on Wednesday and more on Thursday, as in the absence of a combined trailer there is no need to drop all three reps at once. Sakurai may simply be trolling and holding back following his statement that there will be no more Smash content at E3, of course, so this is also a likely option.

Option #6: The leaker is one hell of a guesser.

Pretty much the same as Option 3 here. Quite possible, as even some posters here thought Wii Fit might get a rep, Villager wasn't too out of left field, and Mega Man was very predictable. Impossible to qualify, however, much like Option 3.

Am I missing anything significant here?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Where did he say that she was the last announcement for E3?
I could very well be wrong, but I thought that arond the end of the Wii Fit reveal he said that they were done for E3? If he didn't, that doesn't change too much.

AGreatProcrastinator

Smash Apprentice
Mii and Pac-man would be mildly disappointing, but I'd like everyone else enough to live with it. That said, I remember reading about lots of "reputable sources" leaking info for Brawl, talking about how guys Bomberman and Ridley were playable and whatnot. Lots of people testified these sources were more accurate than the morning traffic report but, well, obviously they weren't.
As unlikely a coincidence this may seem, I'm taking this with a grain of salt until every one of these characters has a trailer appearance and a profile on the official website.

umegames

Smash Cadet
I'm fine with who ever they add, because i never wanted Ice climbers, mr. game and watch, pichu, dr. mario, R.O.B., olimar or Jigglypuff in smash, most of these i had no idea who they were, but they introduced them to me, and I'm good with them. I think everyone should just accept the roster and learn to like them.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I'd be pretty down for a majority of characters representing franchises new to the series. Throw in some of the really popular requested second or third reps for less-represented franchises and you've got yourself quite an interesting roster.
So like... Zero and Tron instead of Megaman?

*Edit*

I think I'd be down with the Mii if it took inspiration from that Street Pass RPG game that comes with the 3DS.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

At least there will be other reveals to get excited over.Given that Sakurai has relegated Snake and Sonic to unlockable positions despited being reveale, I highly doubt we will see Mega Man or Pac-Man as starters.
If it's true, then it is fortunate for me... because I actually want Little Mac and Pac-Man. :)

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
I could very well be wrong, but I thought that arond the end of the Wii Fit reveal he said that they were done for E3? If he didn't, that doesn't change too much.
I just watched that video again, and they the only thing they said that was relatively close to that was that they intentionally didn't show Wii Fit Trainer, and saved her for last. But they also said that was the last thing for the day, so.

That being said, I'm not really sure what to think with this whole leak thing. I don't think we'll get anymore characters for the remainder of E3. I honestly hope we don't. I don't want everything to be all revealed at once!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom