• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Albuquerque Monthlies - April 19th

Pice

Smash Apprentice
o rly? well even if i do lose i may just pull ur classic davis and be like, uh i dont have it sorry ill pay u later............

Pice

Smash Apprentice
not anymore you dont but through like 5 tournaments u did XD

Ooooh, fierceness is occuring, it seems.

Ya know, everytime there's a tournament, we always seem to lose one of our threads, and this seems to be the vanishing one. Can't have that, now can we? Normally it's the NM thread, that's why there's 3 NM threads.

August 11th sounds like a plan, my...uhh, men.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Erichs right, nm thread shouldn't vanish.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
This isn't thread hijacking!

As most of you Albuquerque smashers know, I have been planning to host my own Albuquerque monthlies at my own house. This stemmed from my first smashfest, housing about 12 tourney participants (including Kash and GG about a month ago), and everything seemingly ran smoothly. :dizzy: After a long discussion with my parents, I do have permission to host a tournament at my house.

So, right now, I am simply awaiting permission from Steven (he is the one managing any and all monthly events). Remember, my monthlies will alternate with the NMGC ones.

Here's my single problem. By the time school starts, and if both monthlies and any external tournaments run smoothly, ALBUQUERQUE WILL HAVE EVENTS EVERY OTHER WEEKEND!!! That's pretty stressful. Tell me what all you NMers think about this - I really haven't received much support yet. Once done, I'll make a new thread.

In other news, the next monthly is in 3 weeks. W00t! (Davis, that was spam.)
Sliraobe God

EDIT: If you guys wanted a rough schedule of my monthly...Don't mark your calendars yet, this is just an idea.

Location: My house, NE Albquerque nearby Montgomery and Wyoming
Time: Starts Saturday morningish (you choose) - Saturday night. If you're free, you are even welcome to sleepover...
Date: 2 weeks after Steven's NMGC (projected August 25, the date of Halo 3's opening)
Tourney: you choose the time it starts. Entry fee $5, the fee also covers food and drinks (which is on me and is probably pizza+soda)
Materials: I have 4 open rooms with 3 TVs already set up. I need you all to bring GCNs and TVs (preferably medium size)

Need my home #? Call me at (you better know the area code or I'll feed you to vultures) 880-8740.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Sounds like a good idea, Sliraobe. Bi-weeklies and a change of scenary every two weeks.

Once again, I'm down to Smash any time (if work and school allow it). I don't care where, as long as I am there.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I am sorry steven, I took your Memory card because I have the exact same one.

P.S. you home run records suck balls.

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Alright. So that means Paul has yours, cause he said he picked a 16x madcatz memory card on the 28th. Just give it back to me on August 11th, I have a back-up one I can use til then anyway.

Liengod

Smash Rookie
ok i kinda just skipped to the last page so can anyone fill me in on where the aug. 11 thing is happening and the rules, prizes, and entry fee and also how often these are gunna happen thanks.

Pheonix

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Hey guys, here's an idea I thought of due to discussion in the power rankings thread. This is just an idea I'm throwing out, so if everyone hates it, fine, we'll shoot it down and bury it and pretend it never existed. The idea is that we make the tourney on August 11th a Round Robin tourney (everyone plays everyone, and then whoever won the most sets wins the tourney). Some people really want to do one of these, as they say it could help to create a more representative Power Rankings list. Also, in theory, it would give you more bang for your smashing buck, as you are guarenteed a set number of tourney matches, instead of being out after you've lost two rounds. A con to this would be that it would likely take much longer than your standard double-elimination bracket tourney, unless maybe we adjusted the rules of the game (which I don't think anyone wants to do). Anyway, post your thoughts.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium

It starts whenever, you get there on the day.

I don't know if it is round robin or not, is it Davis? I heard someone talking about it though.

Guys, I was just kidding. I honestly don't have any idea who my new characters are gonna be. For all I know, Ike could be like Roy, and that would suck. We'll see. Patience. BTW, adventure mode rocks in Brawl!!! An actual storyline?!?!

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Alright, so since nobody replied either in favor of or against round robin, I'm just going to flip a coin. Heads is bracket, tails is round robin.

Tails. Round robin it is.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I realize that only 300 people voted, but it was in the announcements for a week. But it doesn't matter too much, because this vote only narrowed things down more and was not a final decision maker.

Here are the tentative results:

The following will definitely have a logo created and be made into t-shirts:

* Show me your moves!
* Don't Get Hit

The following will have a decent chance of having a logo created and of being made into t-shirts:

* Tires don exits
* BYOC
* No Johns
* Mindgames, son
* SWF: Living life, 4 at a time

The following will not be made into t-shirts:

* Game Set
* SWF: Smashaholics Anonymous

The voting last week was only one of several factors that went into this decision. So while "Mindgames, son" got first place in the vote, it still is not definitely going to be made into a shirt. Also, if MLG had not already adopted No Johns, this definitely would have been made into a t-shirt. It still might, but it's just not as unique to smashboards anymore.

The biggest thing behind which quotes made it already was the history/context of it. The context behind the "Don't get hit" tagline is just a classic. "Show me your moves" is a pre-made tagline the game already had from the start.

Now it's time to make the designs. The biggest factor now as to which taglines are chosen is how the graphic that is made for each one looks.

Thanks for all your help in this process! I think in the end we will get several nice looking t-shirts that are unique to our community. I am currently in contact with several printing companies but have not decided which I will go with yet. I will keep you updated, but it will probably be about a month before anything is made available. Tentative t-shirt prices will be around $15. I will update you with the graphics that are chosen over the next few weeks. I will also be running several surveys over the next few weeks for information on sizing and color preferences, so make sure you vote!

Oh, and it will be at least one more week before I announce winners of the premium memberships (I have to look back at the post, decide on a definite 3rd tagline, etc).

Finally, a special thanks to Sinz and NG7 because thanks to them we already have a t-shirt basically completed. It will probably not have any text, but the context is wavedashing. Once it is finalized I'll release some mock up images of how the shirt will look! Thanks NG7 and Sinz!!

-Gid

Yeah! ! ! !

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
That is pretty cool Everett. It's also cool how the two slogans that got picked for shirts are Captain Falcon's most famous line and the best CF player's most famous line, respectively.

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
I'm here to say that I'll be at the August 11th montly this weekend. I'll be able to bring a gamecube and maybe one tv. (If you guys want me to bring a tv then let me know). The round robin sounds like an interesting idea. I'm in favor for it; it will be a nice change of pace from the usual double-elimination tournament. As Steven said, it would also help us panel members make decisions more easily. If the monthly is a round robin then make sure that you save the results.

Top Bottom