• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new home skin for Smashboards

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
can you post up that link thio.

kinda sucks that the post is made you ask for feedback than dismiss it all.

I'm sure plenty of people don't like change and are going to complain regardless but I have a fairly new laptop and always viewed smashboards fine. it is extremely annoying only being able to see one to 2 posts per scroll rather than 4-5

D

Deleted member

and that's for just 2 small sections.
while I have most stuff collapsed, it's still almost twice as tall in total.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
can you post up that link thio.

kinda sucks that the post is made you ask for feedback than dismiss it all.

I'm sure plenty of people don't like change and are going to complain regardless but I have a fairly new laptop and always viewed smashboards fine. it is extremely annoying only being able to see one to 2 posts per scroll rather than 4-5
I actually have to write the script first. It's a Firefox addon, however.

D

Deleted member

ok 2 CSS lines people might like (for stylish):

#site_container {
max-width: 1280px !important;
}

use that line to set the width to whatever screen resolution you have.

#right_side_container{
visibility: hidden;
width: 0;
}

removes the sidebar

Flayl

Smash Hero
#whats_new_content_table{
visibility: hidden;
}

#whats_new_content_table tr{
visibility: collapse;
}

To remove feature box

rhan

Smash Hero
Makes AiB look like crap compared to SWF now.

But I wish I could revert it back to the Revolution skin.. :(

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Bring back Revolution please, this new skin ****s up the layout of half the site.

I spend most of my time in social groups and now I can't even read full posts or even see what I'm typing in quick reply because the layout just doesn't work.

I don't care what you do with this layout, just bring back the old one.

Mit

Smash Ace
I think it's nice. Revolution was getting extremely old. Like, way too old. Internet design in general is far different than it was back when Melee came out.

My only qualm so far is the glow on the forum titles. It doesn't have to be removed, but it shouldn't be as bright as it is right now. It isn't as easy to read them as it should be.

Oh, and designing it around a 1024 width would've been nice... This skin steps right from 800px to 1280px. I don't know, 1280 and wider kind of bugs me. It's like it's too wide. I don't like really long horizontal lines of text :\

But no I will not just ghetto rig it with some of my own CSS. If it's not how it's designed to look, I'm not interested in seeing a bunch of things screw up, or people's sigs mess up, etc etc.

Fyist

Smash Journeyman
Everything comes together really nice, I especially like the Wii esque icons. Not gonna lie though the glow around all of the headings just seems way too over done and too much on the eyes. Not to mention too much outerglow just makes any design look ametuer.

D

Deleted member

A couple misc. notes. The old revolution default is no longer selectable. It is a poor representation of the community, and after experiencing both I cannot honestly see why someone would rather use it. However, if for some reason I am flat wrong and enough people dig it just let us know. And we can explore fixing it up a bit and re-launching it as something selectable.
I would like the old skin back. I do think the new one is nice but for me it's just too...well, vibrant. I like the dull black that I've had for years and years. I mean, if we have skins with disco balls and other weird styles, I don't think it's too far off by comparison >_>

Yikarur

Smash Master
I don't like these big colored button, The colored button just doesn't look right to me, I want my darkness back :( and what Paprika said in his comparison.
I I have no idea how to use the codes Paprika and Flayl posted D:

Flayl

Smash Hero
I don't like these big colored button, The colored button just doesn't look right to me, I want my darkness back :( and what Paprika said in his comparison.
I I have no idea how to use the codes Paprika and Flayl posted D:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish

Install, restart firefox. Open Smashboards front page,then click on the S icon on the bottom-right corner of your browser.

Write new style For www.smashboards.com

Under @-moz-document domain("www.smashboards.com") {
paste the CSS Paprika and I posted (don't forget to remove the comments)

Give it a name, save and voilá.

edit: If you're like me and you don't like the glow, use this too:
.vb_board_title a{
color:#ff6b2e !important;
text-shadow: none !important;
}

shanus

Smash Hero
new skin is amazing. only complaint IMO is that the forum section icons, as pointed out my paprika and others, are disproportionately large. Same applies to forum threads in that they grab the attention instead of the actual topics/titles.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah, it's nice..but I don't understand why you didn't leave the revolution skin as an option. That's what I've been using for the past 5 years, and now all that's left is all of those other skins..

NNID
Budget_Player
So... Was there ever any reason given for removing Revolution? This skin is... "nice"... I guess. But it's huge. Everything is much more spaced out, the buttons look awful and are way too big, the banner at the top is going to take a lot of getting used to, and in general I just don't like it. Can I have revolution back? Please? WHY DID YOU DELETE THAT IT WAS SO GOOD. Even if it did have a few glitches at the top, I don't think anyone cared that much... And even if you're not going to update it, it's still better than this.

I mean, props to Bionic and MMM for putting the time and effort in, I'm sure some people really enjoy this... I just hate it. Why the hell did you drop Revolution but not Classic Blue? Or any other of the, you know, kinda lame skins?

Yikarur

Smash Master
I changed my skin now too :( I always refused to change the revolution one.

well I don't get why "Brawl In-depth" contains 1 Player Mode and stuff and why "Stage Discussion" and One Player stuff are together. Stage Discussion should belong to competitive brawl.

NNID
Budget_Player
Oh yeah that's right... You guys rearranged the forums... And instead of placing stage discussion under Competitive next to metagame and ruleset discussion, where it belongs, you put it in the same category as 1-player mode and wifi?!? Are you guys like, insane? Stagelist discussion is ruleset discussion. Stage data is gameplay data. God dammit. >.>

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
The main issue with Revolution was the set width that looked awful on any monitor bigger than 1024 x 768, in my opinion. Otherwise it looked fine, but I still preferred other skins.

I don't really miss Revolution though. This one is so much better. People shouldn't be so opposed to change.

Dr.Fair

Smash Rookie
It's so.... colorful.... Will take some time to get used to....... If I ever am able to...

EDIT:
Also I agree that the banner seems to stick out like a sore thumb. It's white and it is pretty much the only part of the layout that has light blue in it. Seems to really contrast with the otherwise dark theme of the layout.

EDIT2:
I like it except for the overly bright banner. Also the white text on the cyan border under the banner was a terrible idea. Needs to be fixed.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
What if we just plain like Revolution better?

I prefer that skin over this one, so I don't want to be forced to use it.

Smash Blue/Classic Blue/Disco Room Skin users get to keep their skins, why can't we keep ours?

Yikarur

Smash Master
It's so.... colorful.... Will take some time to get used to....... If I ever am able to...

EDIT:
Also I agree that the banner seems to stick out like a sore thumb. It's white and it is pretty much the only part of the layout that has light blue in it. Seems to really contrast with the otherwise dark theme of the layout.
thats why I dislike the color of the buttons and OMG I clicked at quote for the first time, it felt as bad as online Brawl D:

D

Deleted member

working on resizing the buttons here, give me a couple minutes

eidt:
Code:
#right_side_container, #whats_new_content_container,#whats_new_box{
visibility: hidden !important;
width: 0 !important;
height: 0 !important
}

.vb_board_title a,.vb_sub_board_title a{
color:#ff6b2e !important;
text-shadow: none !important; 
}

img[src*="vibrant/buttons"]{
max-height: 30px !important;
}

img[src*="vibrant/statusicon"]{
max-height: 40px !important;
}
this removes the side+top box (the BR stuff+featured), glow on everything, and resizes the large icons and buttons (in that order so if you only want images resized only use the last 2 blocks of code

D

Deleted member

stylish, see flayl's post up here for install instructions.
lemme grab the code for main banner removal and orange bar

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
At first I was surprised, thinking ''wtf another april's fools'' but then I was like, hey, is this for real?

Reactions aside, it is very good looking, looks more modern than the old one (though I always liked old stuff =) ). Good job buddy!

D

Deleted member

wtf, you guys used an image to make that userCP bar? wtf

this removes the header btw

#header{
}

it doesn't remove the space it takes sine this beautiful picture is there:

shanus

Smash Hero
thats why I dislike the color of the buttons and OMG I clicked at quote for the first time, it felt as bad as online Brawl D:
When we click quote or post reply, can it smooth scroll or just load by default to the quote frame? When browsing from a laptop, when you click quote, the entire banner and announcements are so large I can barely even see the input box. At this point I already know I'm on swf, so let's maximize the functionality at the very least.

Edit2: Please also give the option to collapse the MAJOR TOURNAMENTS bar up top, it eats a lot of screen real estate.

Dr.Fair

Smash Rookie
wtf, you guys used an image to make that userCP bar? wtf

this removes the header btw

#header{
}

it doesn't remove the space it takes sine this beautiful picture is there:
Oh wow... Thanks anyways lol.

Now they need to update their Post options and how that looks. Doesn't make sense to make a whole new layout and leave a Windows Millenium Edition advanced post editor.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
I have to say, I kinda like it. And if you don't like it, trust me, you'll get used to it.

D

Deleted member

Fair, maybe this'll look better:

#site_bg, #under_menu{
background: none !important;
}

(you can combine it with the other line I gave but then you'd be left with pretty much nothing at the top)

Top Bottom