• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new home skin for Smashboards

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Revolution and the forum changes (like Brawl In-depth) are JV's call btw, not ours

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I thoroughly enjoyed Revolution, and the lack of it bothers me. A new skin is fine and dandy, but I don't think it should be mandatory. I understand all of the "benefits" and potential this skin has, but it's not Revolution.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i gotta say, aside from some MASSIVE buttons like the quote, report etc...the main page is SICK

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
I really like it, nice job with this. Feels smooth and clean

The only thing I would change would be to make the top banner a bit darker

Also, is there a "New Posts" button somewhere? Can't find one

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I don't really mind the new look of the site except for a few things.
-the huge buttons for Quote, Multi-Quote, and Report
-The large buttons for main page. The ! buttons are too large
-If possible, have an option to keep this skin but remove the side bars
-The SWF Banner is way too bright. I liked the original one better. Try making the white background into a grey background to match the site.
-Oversized text on forum areas. (IE: Text for Media Metropolis, Debate Hall, etc.)

I think that's about it. If I have any more gripes, I'll post them when I get time.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
All of the buttons are waaaaay too large, and the top banned doesn't mesh with the rest, but it's quite nice aside from that.

But I still prefer classic blue :p

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
yeah over all the layout is FANTASTIC

connect/info is brilliant as well as the right side of the front page. Though, a few of the buttons are rather large. if they could be shrunk a little bit, then i think it would be perfect

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
MetalMusicMan, Bionic, and whoever else was involved in making this happen: thank you.

This is gorgeous. I can't believe my crappy SWF is now this super awesome beautiful site of awesomeness. I'm having a design-gasm.

Thank you.

Thank you.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
MetalMusicMan, Bionic, and whoever else was involved in making this happen: thank you.

This is gorgeous. I can't believe my crappy SWF is now this super awesome beautiful site of awesomeness. I'm having a design-gasm.

Thank you.

Thank you.
I was hoping you'd like it :) I appreciate your comments!

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm still freaking out lol

EDIT: ALL THE BUTTONS AT THE TOP DO SOMETHING

THE NEVER USED TO DO ANYTHING

AND THE THINGIES ON THE SIDE COLLAPSE AND LINK TO ALL THE COOL CRAP

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Might just be my mac (or maybe I'm ignorant of the new layout), but all of the topics/sections on the main page are smooshed to the right side of the screen. It makes it hard to look for the right subsections. Actually you can't even read most of it at all. :( It's cool and all, but if this is the case, I kinda want an option of switching back and forth. :/

MetalMusicMan

Might just be my mac (or maybe I'm ignorant of the new layout), but all of the topics/sections on the main page are smooshed to the right side of the screen. It makes it hard to look for the right subsections. Actually you can't even read most of it at all. :( It's cool and all, but if this is the case, I kinda want an option of switching back and forth. :/
I'm thinking some people are partially cached. Try clicking this:

http://www.smashboards.com/index.php?styleid=78

Let me know if that fixes it.

D

Deleted member

Also, huge glitch for me:
I am having this same issue, and I'm running Firefox 4.

Other than that, I really love this new skin. Great job with it, guys!!

Edit: Nevermind. It seems to have been fixed just as I made this post.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I'm thinking some people are partially cached. Try clicking this:

http://www.smashboards.com/index.php?styleid=78

Let me know if that fixes it.
Well, Idk if the link fixes anything or not, since I actually just got it to look right; I played around with the skins and found that it's all reset and working now. :) Looks really nice. I'm liking all the colors in the quote/edit/report part of the posts. And I'm eager to see how the livestream updates work.

I do, however, would like the option of having the old skin that I was looking at about 2 hours ago; for sentimentality, really; I've been using that one for 4-5 years now, so I have a special fondness for that one. Btw, would livestream updates work if I used any of the other skins?

MetalMusicMan

Thanks for the info, I thought that would fix it. Auspher you ought to be able to fix it by changing off vibrant and then back to it as well.

It's not browser related. I think some users have settings that are saved and it's partially trying to load things that aren't there anymore. Bionic is looking into fixing that.

AFAIK it's not the skin itself but rather some kind of remembered setting that we're trying to narrow down.

Sails

Smash Ace
Running Firefox, so it shouldn't be the browser's fault.
I don't want to start a browser war but Firefox is far from being web standard compliant, so if you're going to insinuate it's not your browsers fault, you best be checking it out with something like Opera.

fkacyan

Smash Hero

See attached picture for my largest qualm with the new layout.

Seriously, guys, the width of this is hideous.

EDIT: Salis talks about compliant and then... Mentions Opera?

MetalMusicMan

Thio it scales down to that size if you shrink your window. If you would like it to be that size, that's an option. It expands for larger monitors up to around 1100 pixels horizontally total, it won't go any bigger than that. The optimal/max width isn't going to change though, sorry.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Thio it scales down to that size if you shrink your window. If you would like it to be that size, that's an option. It expands for larger monitors up to around 1100 pixels horizontally total, it won't go any bigger than that though.
So I have to... Make my window smaller... i.e. not have it maximized... for it to not be hideously large?

Good lord please tell me this is a poor design choice rather than just not knowing the code.

EDIT: Also, it doesn't scale with window size in either FF4 or Chrome. Derp.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Just throwing my 2 cents in along with everyone else

-Smaller buttons
-Make the width of the site like the "Brawl" skin and it'll be gold
-Bring back a revamped "Revolution" skin as an option

Huge props to MMM and Bionic for making this skin, it really looks good and will look even better as it becomes more developed ^_^

MetalMusicMan

Thio I can, of course code it to be any size I like. It changes dynamically down to fit 1024 horizontally up to 1280, then only the background stretches. This is not a "horrible design choice", it's pretty common and sensible; it gives the maximum sensible space for text lines horizontally while still scrunching down if someone has a lower resolution monitor. If your opinion is that is poor, I'm sorry you disagree.

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
dislike. my main complaint and it is a huge one is how little of the forum you can see at a time.

on average previously i feel you could see anywhere from 3-5 posts.

the view is too zoomed way too big.

the width seriously has to decrease. browsing is terrible right now. I've never been on a forum where I can only see one post at a time.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Thio I can, of course code it to be any size I like. It changes dynamically down to fit 1024 horizontally up to 1280, then only the background stretches. This is not a "horrible design choice", it's pretty common and sensible; it gives the maximum sensible space for text lines horizontally while still scrunching down if someone has a lower resolution monitor. If your opinion is that is is poor, I'm sorry you disagree.
You end up wasting a ton of screen real estate by making it enlarge to fit the screen, as well as make many screen elements not match in size.

Even basic phBB forums have used the functionality (constant width) that I'm describing without making it a pain to view on large monitors. The way it's executed here is bad, and I eagerly await the return of a skin that doesn't use hideously large boxes.

In the meantime, I'll get to work on a Greasemonkey script to make this look better.

MetalMusicMan

It's fixed width in terms of what it should be at, it only scales down for people with sub 1280px horizontal resolutions (very old monitors). Fixed width is definitely better than 100% in almost ever circumstance, I totally agree. Long lines of text are terrible and a pain to read. I think you just have a different idea of what the ideal max width is.

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
I do not like this skin one bit. Please at least give the option to change it back. Most of my concerns have been voiced already, mainly the bright colours and humongous buttons

fkacyan

Smash Hero
It's fixed width in terms of what it should be at, it only scales down for people with sub 1280px horizontal resolutions (very old monitors). Fixed width is definitely better than 100% in almost ever circumstance, I totally agree. Long lines of text are terrible and a pain to read. I think you just have a different idea of what the ideal max width is.
And have you tried making the fixed width smaller? Maybe put in a dropdown for it? At 1370 x 760 or whatever the hell this relatively common laptop res is, I get almost no buffer space on either side and lines of text are horribly long.

Are you actually telling me you designed this with 1440x900+ resolutions in mind? I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of smashers didnt even have their own computers, let alone good monitors.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
Using my absolutely noob Paint skills, I have created two header concepts (using Thio's screencap lol):

----

After looking at Thio's screencap, I thought that was a much better idea for a header than the current implementation. The problem with this idea is that you'd have to move the "welcome so-so" and junk somewhere else. I'm not saying that those should literally be considered, just that that type of layout be considered instead.

just something for you to look at *shrug*

D

Deleted member

why is it once again a fixed width skin?
I'll also join the ZOMG BUTTONS ARE HUGE group because they are.
I would also like an option to turn off the BR sidebar, not everyone (I know I don't) wants to see that every time.

other than that, very well done. I might just use this for orange fever 2.0 (I needed to clean to old one up anyway)

EDIT (Giant scissors lol): PLEASE tur noff the sidebar when browsing social groups, it has no place there

Flayl

Smash Hero
With adblock turned off, when I click on a forum I can see two announcements and 1 thread.

You should make the header smaller and remove the feature box altogether.

IMO glowing fonts are very unprofessional (and they annoy me).

Forum buttons could be smaller.

Anyway, good effort, but I'll probably have to switch to Smash blue.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Thio it scales down to that size if you shrink your window. If you would like it to be that size, that's an option. It expands for larger monitors up to around 1100 pixels horizontally total, it won't go any bigger than that. The optimal/max width isn't going to change though, sorry.
That's not my complaint. This is:

Also the contrast between the top white and the rest of the site is not ideal, imo.

MetalMusicMan

@Shadic

The featured box is the main thing that takes up those vertical pixels. Yes the banner/top menu is bigger as well, but not by much compared to the old top menu/banner; besides, it's 2011 and big pictures are a good thing now :p

Yes, you have to scroll down a bit, but this has been a huge request and something that our site has lacked. It shows Live Streams and upcoming Major tournaments, which will greatly help draw attention to both of those previously very under-emphasized happenings in the community.

This is not just a pretty make-over, it's an overhaul of how we present content to our community's members. The yellow featured box, the Info page, and the Connect page should go great lengths towards increasing community activity and awareness.

Top Bottom