• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new home skin for Smashboards

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I was scrolling for 20 minutes to get to the bottom of Overswarm's post.

Then I re-read it using Classic Blue and I pressed down on my keyboard and zipped past it.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
That's not what I'm talking about. Every post used to have a Quick Reply button that when I press it, would go to the text field at the bottom and I could check off a box to quote the post.

Can't do that now.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
That's not what I'm talking about. Every post used to have a Quick Reply button that when I press it, would go to the text field at the bottom and I could check off a box to quote the post.

Can't do that now.
I originally had a quick reply button, it was brought up in testing that no one used it and we didn't want people to zip down to the bottom without reading posts. I didn't fully agree with that, but I understand the decision.

I'll bring it up again if this is an issue for people.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
This skin is fine except for a few things,

1) The giant banner at the top coupled with the announcements section takes up far too much room, make the announcements collapsed by default.

2)The buttons look like oversized stickers from little big planet, they also don't match the color scheme, actually the banner doesn't match either.

3)The icons look really out of place.

I mean this skin could be better than revolution, you just have to not break like, every rule of web design.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I like the new theme.....but where's my quick reply button on each post?
I originally had a quick reply button, it was brought up in testing that no one used it and we didn't want people to zip down to the bottom without reading posts. I didn't fully agree with that, but I understand the decision.

I'll bring it up again if this is an issue for people.
I can't say that makes me very happy, but majority rules I suppose. It's still on the mobile skin right?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Rules are so last year. This is the new hip way of doing things!

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
You probably shouldn't trust IE with your internet browsing anyway.

On a serious note, some formatting issues need to be fixed obviously.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I like the concept, but the buttons feel blocky. Overall I feel lit looks unprofessional and with a few tweaks it can come out to be amazing.

They should do a contest for a design. I would jump on that with no issues at all.
Overall, I feel they really should at least do something about it.

shanus

Smash Hero
Sure, it's fixable: nearly anything is fixable. But it shouldn't have to be fixable in the first place. It's not as if everybody was pressuring them to hurry up and make the thing; and yet they missed out on basic things like colour coordinating and sizing.

It's also a large disappointment that whoever arrived of the forced site wide change of removing revolution for vibrant did not point out the glaring flaws and go "Fix that". Bright is not good. Awkward sizing is not good. Oversized banners and meaningless sidebars are not good. Missing obvious features like the ability to collapse things is not good. It's an obvious rush job, shown in the poor quality of the product. They made an eyesore out of something that did not need to be changed.
Please note in my response I said they should also add back in revolution, too. I was just commenting that fixing up Vibrant is not that difficult from a design perspective, and people are being a little too "sky is falling" with their mentality.

NNID
Budget_Player
Whoever made this needs to learn about miniamlism. It's kind of standard on, ya know, communication mediums. Like forums.

Here's a few design flaws you have:

Number One: It's size isn't regulated properly or intelligently, vertically or horizontally[/COLOR]
/cut the rest out because clogging up the thread doesn't really help that much.

But this quote... I think this quote needs posting. Why? Because it's accurate. I'm not going to drop this.

Stage Discussion is fine under Brawl In-Depth. It makes more sense that we're here than under Competitive, even if we share qualities from both sub forums. If it's that big of a deal though, just subscribe to the forum for the mean time.
Bull****. :glare:

Look, Brawl In-Depth has this... thing to it. It seems to imply the things that are completely unrelated with competitive gameplay. The things that only a casual or a completionist or a freak would care about. I mean for ****'s sake, look at what we're grouped with! Wifi and One-Player mode! We're placed on a similar level of importance to random wifi bull**** and the goddamn Subspace Emissary.

Let me outline the most important part of the above. It seems to imply that we are completely unrelated with competitive gameplay. THIS IS NOT THE CASE!!!

In fact, I'd go so far as to claim that the stagelist is one of the only parts of any ruleset even worth discussing any more.

Sariku

Smash Master
I am one of the people who would like to be able to choose the Revolution skin over this. It's okay, and kudos to the guys who worked on this, but Revolution is what I came to love and it's what I would like to continue to use.

Plus this favors Brawl heavily. Yuck.

NNID
Budget_Player
Also let's talk for a moment about MLG_JV's statement. That Revolution paints Smashboards in a negative light is completely ********. If that was a reason to remove it, why keep any other style? Classic Blue, Smash Blue, etc.... They all look awful! So why is Revolution, one of the more popular ones, the style getting the axe?

The entire concept "we're getting rid of it because we think it looks bad" is awful for 2 reasons.
One: what looks "Awful" is subjective. If you're going off of what you personally believe, then congrats: you just made a HUGE mistake in personal judgment regarding the site. You're clearly not going off what the members believe, as is evidenced by... well, this thread.
Two: Even if you think it's awful, how many members who aren't logged in and who haven't chosen the style because they like it will use it or even see it? Almost none. This is because members who are not logged in will see this monstrosity you forced upon us (that has serious formatting issues and will likely drive newbies away BECAUSE of that), and members who are logged in will see... well, whatever they selected. And if they selected Revolution, guess what: it means that they like it! It's highly disingenuous to make a claim like that, and WE WANT REVOLUTION BACK!

Oh, and seriously, either move Stagelist Discussion into competitive brawl or just split up its threads into the data/gameplay and ruleset forums. >.<

D

Deleted member

lol BPC keep saying it every thread and it might just happen.

but I would like a serious statement from the Dev/staff team as to why Revolution was discontinued

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Why did you take Avis for viewing on every page.
I liked seeing my avi and I'm sure others did as well

Sariku

Smash Master
Also let's talk for a moment about MLG_JV's statement. That Revolution paints Smashboards in a negative light is completely ********. If that was a reason to remove it, why keep any other style? Classic Blue, Smash Blue, etc.... They all look awful! So why is Revolution, one of the more popular ones, the style getting the axe?

The entire concept "we're getting rid of it because we think it looks bad" is awful for 2 reasons.
One: what looks "Awful" is subjective. If you're going off of what you personally believe, then congrats: you just made a HUGE mistake in personal judgment regarding the site. You're clearly not going off what the members believe, as is evidenced by... well, this thread.
Two: Even if you think it's awful, how many members who aren't logged in and who haven't chosen the style because they like it will use it or even see it? Almost none. This is because members who are not logged in will see this monstrosity you forced upon us (that has serious formatting issues and will likely drive newbies away BECAUSE of that), and members who are logged in will see... well, whatever they selected. And if they selected Revolution, guess what: it means that they like it! It's highly disingenuous to make a claim like that, and WE WANT REVOLUTION BACK!

Oh, and seriously, either move Stagelist Discussion into competitive brawl or just split up its threads into the data/gameplay and ruleset forums. >.<
This. I'll be using Smash Blue until I am awarded with a Revolution skin. :)

NNID
Budget_Player
lol BPC keep saying it every thread and it might just happen.
**** off you know I'm right. :laugh:

Uh, by the way guys, I just thought I should point something out. The only thing that makes Smashboards better than AiB is the member base. The fact that the AiB memberbase is largely ******** makes the site less attractive... However, as far as internal workings go, it's actually debatably better than smashboards. Think about that for a moment. And now think about how much of the memberbase this forced change has pissed off. ESPECIALLY YOU, MLG_JV. :glare:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Even Ghandi wasn't as salty as you, lol.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Brawl skin should be the default.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Designed by members, for members an admin who really doesn't care about members. :laugh:
And yes, I'm fairly salty. I always am.
MMM isn't a admin even though he has a red name.

btw I fully support everything OS has said, I'll take revolution over this any day.

but for now I'll beusing one of the other ones

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
spoilers: smashboards is catered for the staff/non-regulars

MetalMusicMan

I would like to have revolution as an option.

I also used Multiquote frequently.
Multiquote is still there, only quick reply was removed.

I like the new skin, and I think its awesome that it was designed by members of the community. I prefer that over some random skin. Good work.

Thanks, this forum has always underrepresented Smash visually, so I really wanted to emphasize it. Smash, and especially Brawl, is a colorful game, it makes sense that our site reflects the game we play.

MMM isn't a admin even though he has a red name.
Red name = Super Mod, Developer, etc.

Gray name = Admin

BPC he so salty :( I still give out free hugs tho :)

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
I would like to have revolution as an option.
This but
Why did you take Avis for viewing on every page.
I liked seeing my avi and I'm sure others did as well
mostly this.

I miss revolution so much... I thought I misspelled Smashboards in the URL when this skin came up lol.
Oh and, I like the new skin and I think it looks nice, but... I liked Revolution a lot better.

:038:

NNID
Budget_Player
@MMM: I really appreciate the effort. It's great that you want to help the site., and that you're willing to put your time and energy into making smashboards a more hip, cool, good-looking site. It's just that the forced implementation of these changes, and that we lose one of our favorite skins, and that the result just wasn't good. This is nothing against you, it's just... the skin is bad, the movement of Stage Discussion is awful, and getting rid of Revolution was simply an outright horrible PR move.

MetalMusicMan

Skin isn't bad by any means, it's a huge leap. I run all of my designs by several people in my own circle and others, and obviously JV and other SWF admins made the decision to give me permission to do this based on the mockups that I submitted when I offered to do this.

Obviously I'm biased :p but I could give pure gold and platinum away for free and people would still have a largely negative response :p People who complain are always the most vocal, it's the same with any product. This was a huge project / undertaking for Bionic and myself, so I appreciate the positive feedback we are getting (we are getting a lot outside of this thread as well). Any time you make a big change like this, some people are going to lash out. It's inevitable.

You are of course entitled to your opinion though, that's why there are other skins still available. You can't please everyone. There are still other options, and I plan to make color variations of Vibrant down the road as well.

Removing Revo is a decision that I do agree with, honestly. It had many bad elements and many things about it were broken. I had nothing to do with it though, so please take that up with JV.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The skin IS bad. Revolution had broken buttons. This skin has broken design.

Thanks, this forum has always underrepresented Smash visually, so I really wanted to emphasize it. Smash, and especially Brawl, is a colorful game, it makes sense that our site reflects the game we play.
This doesn't make any sense. At all.

WTF does that have to do with smashboards?

"Well, our game is Halo, so I think we need to make all the reply buttons be Assault Rifles. And they should go RAT-TAT-TAT whenever you click on it."

NNID
Budget_Player
Skin isn't bad by any means, it's a huge leap. I run all of my designs by several people in my own circles and others, and obviously JV and other SWF admins made the decision to give me permission to do this based on the mockups that I submitted.
...Aaaactually overswarm covered this one. It's pretty ****ing bad.

You are of course entitled to your opinion though, that's why there are other skins still available. You can't please everyone. There are still other options, and I plan to make color variations of Vibrant down the road as well.
The only skin that's gone is the one which I liked, and apparently, I'm not alone.

Removing Revo is a decision that I do agree with, honestly. It had many bad elements and many things about it were broken. I had nothing to do with it though, so please take that up with JV.
*twitch*

It was broken, but it worked for us and we liked it. That's why we, you know, used it.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
"Well, our game is Halo, so I think we need to make all the reply buttons be Assault Rifles. And they should go RAT-TAT-TAT whenever you click on it."
LOLOL
That would be amazing if something like that was implemented here.
nah

iRJi

Smash Champion
Skin isn't bad by any means, it's a huge leap. I run all of my designs by several people in my own circle and others, and obviously JV and other SWF admins made the decision to give me permission to do this based on the mockups that I submitted when I offered to do this.

Obviously I'm biased :p but I could give pure gold and platinum away for free and people would still have a largely negative response :p People who complain are always the most vocal, it's the same with any product. This was a huge project / undertaking for Bionic and myself, so I appreciate the positive feedback we are getting (we are getting a lot outside of this thread as well). Any time you make a big change like this, some people are going to lash out. It's inevitable.

Are the people in your circle designers by any chance? I find it hard to believe that if they are and OK'd this that their decent. By a design standpoint it's pretty badly done.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Everyone hates change.

The old skin was ****ty and needed an update. The new one is kinda funny with the huge buttons and uh wonderful colors.

Get over it.

Top Bottom