• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

51 characters total, reasoning inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
But nothing definitively proves it either. You and the other dude keep basing all of your ideas and theories off of 47 + Random. If you call my proof that the 3DS CSS is not even close to final "conjecture". Then you need to re-evaluate your theory bud. You're entire argument is based on outdated information. Mario Theory. Sal's 2012 info. Old Build of 3DS CSS... It just piles up.

We're talking about the 3DS version dude. The Wii U screen supports 51. We have no press releas pic of the 3DS one. Why? BECAUSE IT'S NOT FINISHED. Why is this so hard for you to grasp. Heck, even the Wii U version's CSS may have been finished in May. But we know for a fact that the 3DS's CSS could have been a build from March or anywhere before that. You're killing your arguments here.
But it's the closest thing we have to any definitive evidence of what the CSS will look like and, by proxy, who is and is not in the game. The Wii U CSS can support 47 just as easily, if not more easily, as 51, so that's meaningless. The reason I have never thought to speculate number based on the Wii U is because it's too amorphous because it has a lot of real estate it can work with. The 3DS needs every pixel it can get, whether to display 24 at a time in a scrolling manner or display 47 + Random all at once. That's why I think the 3DS is far more informative and useful to experiment with than the Wii U.

I made this with my terrible paint skills, though it isn't exact, it gives the idea of how to fit 50 slots on the Wii U screenView attachment 17026
Shrunk down the icons and BAM, done. Is it really hard to include 2 more slots?
Also, as you said that doesn't disprove your theory, but none of your points disprove mine, if I'm wrong, I'll make an apologize letter of how wrong I was, but, I don't believe I'll have to
Okay, so you've justified 49 + Random on the Wii U. Do it on the 3DS. That's going to be the problem, the smaller screen.

Mars-

Smash Champion
But it's the closest thing we have to any definitive evidence of what the CSS will look like and, by proxy, who is and is not in the game. The Wii U CSS can support 47 just as easily, if not more easily, as 51, so that's meaningless. The reason I have never thought to speculate number based on the Wii U is because it's too amorphous because it has a lot of real estate it can work with. The 3DS needs every pixel it can get, whether to display 24 at a time in a scrolling manner or display 47 + Random all at once. That's why I think the 3DS is far more informative and useful to experiment with than the Wii U.

Okay, so you've justified 49 + Random on the Wii U. Do it on the 3DS. That's going to be the problem, the smaller screen.
The 3ds can scroll. Only one person needs to look at the screen it works.

D

Deleted member

That's the problem, it doesn't fit in the 3DS screen without making the icons unrecognizable, and that's because of the 3DS screen size can't fit it, the SCREEN that was made before Sakurai even thought of Smash Bros., I do not understand your point when both are possible outcomes, it depends on the roster Sakurai decided, 48 means it's 1:1, more than that means scrolling or separate pages as everyone has their own 3DS screen, Sakurai said he wanted to use this to favor some aspects(like the reticle), I believe a 2 page roster would be something great and it isn't something fighting games haven't already done

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
The 3ds can scroll. Only one person needs to look at the screen it works.
Maybe it will, but then why is Greninja and Pikachu swapped in position? That makes no sense to change their positions if the layout were the same.

That's the problem, it doesn't fit in the 3DS screen without making the icons unrecognizable, and that's because of the 3DS screen size can't fit it, the SCREEN that was made before Sakurai even thought of Smash Bros., I do not understand your point when both are possible outcomes, it depends on the roster Sakurai decided, 48 means it's 1:1, more than that means scrolling or separate pages as everyone has their own 3DS screen, Sakurai said he wanted to use this to favor some aspects(like the reticle), I believe a 2 page roster would be something great and it isn't something fighting games haven't already done
The reason I say it's 1:1, and thus 47 + Random, is because of Greninja and Pikachu being out of place. That suggests the layout is different than the Wii U's setup. Which wouldn't be necessary if it were scrolling and just copy-pasted to the 3DS.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
On the 3DS you have your own personal screen. It can scroll. It can do many things. It's going to have to so it can fit UI elements like Options and Customizations On/Off and the back button. I would say they may do that on the bottom screen, but then where would they display what characters someone has chosen? It'a going to scroll somewhere. There will be room. It has to happen no matter whether there is 47 or not. 51 does fit better on Wii U than 47 as well. It flows.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
On the 3DS you have your own personal screen. It can scroll. It can do many things. It's going to have to so it can fit UI elements like Options and Customizations On/Off and the back button. I would say they may do that on the bottom screen, but then where would they display what characters someone has chosen? It'a going to scroll somewhere. There will be room. It has to happen no matter whether there is 47 or not. 51 does fit better on Wii U than 47 as well. It flows.
What? If the back button were on the bottom, there wouldn't need to be any scrolling done. Options button can be on the bottom screen as well it and the back button could be tucked in separate corners, and customizations could be done on the character picture in each player's selection area. That's not a lot of real estate it needs because it can be alluded to with icons. Characters need the real estate to display their names and portraits, and 47 + Random seems to allot enough to allow easy viewing.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Maybe it will, but then why is Greninja and Pikachu swapped in position? That makes no sense to change their positions if the layout were the same.

The reason I say it's 1:1, and thus 47 + Random, is because of Greninja and Pikachu being out of place. That suggests the layout is different than the Wii U's setup. Which wouldn't be necessary if it were scrolling and just copy-pasted to the 3DS.
I don't think you know how to grasp that an in development version of the CSS from a long time ago is not indicative of the final version. Especially this Pikachu Greninja nonsense.

What? If the back button were on the bottom, there wouldn't need to be any scrolling done. Options button can be on the bottom screen as well it and the back button could be tucked in separate corners, and customizations could be done on the character picture in each player's selection area. That's not a lot of real estate it needs because it can be alluded to with icons. Characters need the real estate to display their names and portraits, and 47 + Random seems to allot enough to allow easy viewing.
But there's no room for the characters then if we fit that on the bottom! It has to scroll somewhere dude!

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
I don't think you know how to grasp that an in development version of the CSS from a long time ago is not indicative of the final version. Especially this Pikachu Greninja nonsense.
Why doesn't it matter? The evidence the screen seems to provide suggests that the layout on the 3DS is different from the layout on the Wii U. This would not be necessary if the screen scrolled. Since that can be confirmed just by looking at the picture, it is safe to assume that there will be a different format the information is displayed in, such as 8x6. Just because it's an old picture doesn't mean it's irrelevant. At least not until we get a new picture of the 3DS CSS.

But there's no room for the characters then if we fit that on the bottom! It has to scroll somewhere dude!
.. What? Wait, what are you talking about. The top screen has all of the characters. The bottom screen would display the following:

- Back Icon
- Options Icon
- DLC button
- Player Selections
- AI Settings(on CP players)
- Handicap(on Human/CP players)

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Why doesn't it matter? The evidence the screen seems to provide suggests that the layout on the 3DS is different from the layout on the Wii U. This would not be necessary if the screen scrolled. Since that can be confirmed just by looking at the picture, it is safe to assume that there will be a different format the information is displayed in, such as 8x6. Just because it's an old picture doesn't mean it's irrelevant. At least not until we get a new picture of the 3DS CSS.
It being 8x6 doesn't confirm 47. Also, doesn't have to be 8x6. Also, it doesn't have to be identical to Wii U. It will be different. But that doesn't restrict the roster.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
It being 8x6 doesn't confirm 47. Also, doesn't have to be 8x6. Also, it doesn't have to be identical to Wii U. It will be different. But that doesn't restrict the roster.
You're right, it doesn't restrict the roster. It serves as evidence to infer that the roster is 47 + Random.

D

Deleted member

I don't believe it will be copy-pasted from the Wii U, if it was 2 pages, it would have the series altogether, not that one half is the right side and the other the left side of the Wii U roster, there are 2 different teams working on each version, they do not care about the layout of the roster

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
THAT'S RESTRICTING THE ROSTER WTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT
No, that's not. That's guessing the roster size based on the CSS. I'm not saying that Sakurai looked at the 3DS and said 'welp can only add 47 plus that random button i love so much'. I'm saying he came up with 47 characters AND THEN found a way to display it well on the 3DS.

I don't believe it will be copy-pasted from the Wii U, if it was 2 pages, it would have the series altogether, not that one half is the right side and the other the left side of the Wii U roster, there are 2 different teams working on each version, they do not care about the layout of the roster
... What? Explain this, please..

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
No, that's not. That's guessing the roster size based on the CSS. I'm not saying that Sakurai looked at the 3DS and said 'welp can only add 47 plus that random button i love so much'. I'm saying he came up with 47 characters AND THEN found a way to display it well on the 3DS.

We've countered all these points. Now we're jusr repeating. I'm done here.

D

Deleted member

I'm fu***** done!, I'm outta here, I'll come bcak when the final roster is revealed
What I'm saying is that it won't be copy-pasted from the Wii U version, it will be 2 pages with it's own layout

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
We've countered all these points. Now we're jusr repeating. I'm done here.
You've countered nothing, but fair enough. 47 + Random is very likely based on the evidence assembled. 51 + Random may happen, but it is less likely than 47 + Random due to the speculation supporting it.

I'm fu***** done!, I'm outta here, I'll come bcak when the final roster is revealed

What I'm saying is that it won't be copy-pasted from the Wii U version, it will be 2 pages with it's own layout
That's unnecessary if it's all displayed on a single page. Which 47 + Random can.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I think it's funny, people here are like "48 slots is perfect they couldn't possibly fit more without messing it up"

Then somebody shows how to do it and then it's like "No here are some arbitrary reason why it cant happen"

The fact is, and people need to realize this, Sakurai is not limited by how many characters fit on a 3ds screen.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
What a great oxymoron.

Okay I should give you a chance, you're either really dim witted or you're a troll. Which is it? Come clean.
Neither. I operate using the information that exists. Tell me your side. Convince me there's 51. Who are they? I can tell you my 47 right now. I could pose the same query to you, friend.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228

Sorry, how many characters can fit on a 3DS screen again?

The reasoning for the 48 slots has nothing to do with what "fits", and everything to do with the ratio of the character boxes.
On the Wii U CSS, the ratio of the character boxes can be resized (maintaining heigh/width) to fit 48 slots. You can fit more on, but you'd end up with gaps unless you stretched the boxes. With the boxes as they are, 48 fits perfectly. If the number of slots was 52, with one extra column, the character boxes would have been designed a little slimmer horizontally to accommodate the extra column.

The same is true for the 3DS screen; the heigh/width ratio of the character boxes implies a 8x6 field. This is the main reason I think we'll see 48 slots instead of 52.

To further illustrate this point, here's a wall of Pikachus

These Pikachus have been resized to exactly 75%, to accommodate four rows instead of three. As you can see, there just isn't quite enough room for an extra column at this height/width ratio.

Making these 80% smaller again to allow for a fifth row gives enough horizontal space to fit a whopping 80 characters in, so I think it's safe to say we aren't getting five rows of characters.

--------------------------------

I will point out there are a couple of reasonable counter arguments to this, and I've made counter-counter arguments underneath them:
  • This CSS could be based on an old build, the icons could be different
    It's possible, but to prevent from having to do the same job twice, it seems likely they would have the roster in place before attempting to design the select screen.
  • The icons could change shape as well as size to accommodate more
    This is very unlikely. It requires extra coding for absolutely no benefit. If the portraits need to be slimmer to fit all the characters, they would be already be slimmer.
  • The icons could go a little bit smaller to allow for an extra column
    This would leave a gap at the bottom. Currently, the boxes are aligned in between the top and bottom of the selection area; it's unlikely they would tell the game to start aligning them by the left and right edges once the roster got to a certain size. Same reason as above; extra programming for no benefit
Obviously, none of this is concrete proof, so we'll have to see. If I had to put money on it, though, I would be going with 47+random.

Last edited:

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Wow, so much pointless bickering. Especially since I've already proven 59+Random is possible and logical. Then again, we could get 54+Random or 49+Random should those pesky time constraints come to pass. I seriously doubt a mathematically unsound roster such as 47 or 51 ever coming to pass...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
All I can say is, that's it's highly unlikely that the size of the roster would be leaked through a demo. While it may make sense with the Sal leak in mind, I think we're jumping the gun a little bit. An 8x6 roster can happen, but there isn't any proof. If you consider the fact that the slot size changes in Brawl, it should just show that for right now, we've got no idea what we're looking at here.

Please chill out with the trolling accusations. No reason for it to get heated in here.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
The same is true for the 3DS screen; the heigh/width ratio of the character boxes implies a 8x6 field. This is the main reason I think we'll see 48 slots instead of 52.

Sigh....

Above is the same idea (Pikachu) now with 51. 51 characters looks a whole lot better to me. Especially since Smash 4 is in HD 1080p and will take up the whole Widescreen format.

Neither. I operate using the information that exists. Tell me your side. Convince me there's 51. Who are they? I can tell you my 47 right now. I could pose the same query to you, friend.

My prediction for 51. ? mark in starter roster is either some crazy character, or pull a character out of my DLC list on the bottom right. A good argument could be made for taking out my question mark in the full roster. And having the roster be 50 + random

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sorry, how many characters can fit on a 3DS screen again?

The reasoning for the 48 slots has nothing to do with what "fits", and everything to do with the ratio of the character boxes.
On the Wii U CSS, the ratio of the character boxes can be resized (maintaining heigh/width) to fit 48 slots. You can fit more on, but you'd end up with gaps unless you stretched the boxes. With the boxes as they are, 48 fits perfectly. If the number of slots was 52, with one extra column, the character boxes would have been designed a little slimmer horizontally to accommodate the extra column.

These Pikachus have been resized to exactly 75%, to accommodate four rows instead of three. As you can see, there just isn't quite enough room for an extra column at this height/width ratio.

Making these 80% smaller again to allow for a fifth row gives enough horizontal space to fit a whopping 80 characters in, so I think it's safe to say we aren't getting five rows of characters.

I will point out there are a couple of reasonable counter arguments to this, and I've made counter-counter arguments underneath them:
  • This CSS could be based on an old build, the icons could be different
    It's possible, but to prevent from having to do the same job twice, it seems likely they would have the roster in place before attempting to design the select screen.
    This is very unlikely. It requires extra coding for absolutely no benefit. If the portraits need to be slimmer to fit all the characters, they would be already be slimmer.
    This would leave a gap at the bottom. Currently, the boxes are aligned in between the top and bottom of the selection area; it's unlikely they would tell the game to start aligning them by the left and right edges once the roster got to a certain size. Same reason as above; extra programming for no benefit
Obviously, none of this is concrete proof, so we'll have to see. If I had to put money on it, though, I would be going with 47+random.
What you're trying to prove? That they made a roster with 48 that still has space for other slots?
As for the wall of Pikachus, move them a little to the left and shrunk them dowsn a little bit and BAM one more row achieved

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
What you're trying to prove? That they made a roster with 48 that still has space for other slots?
As for the wall of Pikachus, move them a little to the left and shrunk them dowsn a little bit and BAM one more row achieved
Already got you covered bud. Look up one posts. 51 fits even better.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Sigh....

51 characters looks a whole lot better to me. Especially since Smash 4 is in HD 1080p and will take up the whole Widescreen format.

My prediction for 51. ? mark in starter roster is either some crazy character, or pull a character out of my DLC list on the bottom right. A good argument could be made for taking out my question mark in the full roster. And having the roster be 50 + random
I addressed this part in my previous post:

Yes, it's not beyond the realm of possibility, but changing the alignment to be relative to the left and right edges, and making a gap at the top and bottom, requires more work than making the portraits smaller.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I addressed this part in my previous post:

Yes, it's not beyond the realm of possibility, but changing the alignment to be relative to the left and right edges, and making a gap at the top and bottom, requires more work than making the portraits smaller.
But it fits better. More equal negative space on the top and bottom vs the 48 character pic

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
But it fits better. More equal negative space on the top and bottom vs the 48 character pic
Yes, but the alignment changed.

In the demo, the character slots are sized to fill up the vertical space; that's really unlikely to change. It doesn't make any sense that they would do that instead of making the character portraits smaller. It's a whole load of extra work and messy coding. The kind of thing that leads to awful bugs.

Doing it that way gives rise to the possibility that the alignment could end up wrong, and the boxes could go off the edge of the screen; professional programmers at Nintendo aren't going to take that risk instead of making the boxes smaller.

It's a bit difficult to explain without going over a lot of details about the finer points of coding.
Sorry, I hope I'm being clear enough with my explanation, it's not really something that's easy to get across.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137

I just want to point out that Brawl's character boxes do change shape as you go from the starter to the full roster.

This doesn't mean that they will in Smash 4, but I don't think I'd dismiss it as something they wouldn't bother with because it's extra coding for no benefit.

One benefit, btw, is that resizing the icons obscures the size of the full roster. If Sakurai doesn't want people to know "Oh, there must be X characters left" then that makes sense.

Now, for people on this board, obviously that won't matter. But Sakurai might still do it for the benefit of people who didn't follow the game's development or look up every secret character before playing. It doesn't have any relevance for me, but I'm sure there were people who played through the Subspace Emissary and were surprised by some of what they saw.

Last edited:

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I just want to point out that Brawl's character boxes do change shape as you go from the starter to the full roster.

This doesn't mean that they will in Smash 4, but I don't think I'd dismiss it as something they wouldn't bother with because it's extra coding for no benefit.

One benefit, btw, is that resizing the icons obscures the size of the full roster. If Sakurai doesn't want people to know "Oh, there must be X characters left" then that makes sense.

Now, for people on this board, obviously that won't matter. But Sakurai might still do it for the benefit of people who didn't follow the game's development or look up every secret character before playing. It doesn't have any relevance for me, but I'm sure there were people who played through the Subspace Emissary and were surprised by some of what they saw.
Oh, so they do.

Ok, well that's a possibility then. Don't mind me.

Yeah, ok, in that case 52 characters is definitely a possibility.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So I'm tired of people giving wrong information

6/4=1.5

In order for the proportions to stay the same, the ratio must stay the same.

8/6=1.33333
9/6=1.5

Based on the 3DS select screen in the demo, the boxes would have to change proportion to fit. This is a fact.
(See:http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69445404#5)

As others have stated, the Wii U fits 52 slots better when the box size match the 3DS ones (that is, more like a square) We know for a fact that Brawl's demo had long boxes which became more square when the game came out. When they are changed to a box format, 52 works.

A 47 roster only works if the 3DS changes proportions and the Wii U doesn't. Based on what I presented, 51 makes more sense,

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Personally, I think 47 is most likely, followed by 48, then by 51, 52, and then 49 and 50. The middle numbers are a little less likely just because they don't make a full rectangle.

But those are the most plausible numbers, IMO. More than 52 just starts to become too unwieldy a number for development reasons (balancing and character creation, etc., not CSS reasons). I never expected more than 52 even before we saw the CSS. I had thought that 47 or 48 was the most likely number on the basis that Sakurai said he didn't want to just add more characters, he wanted to do more with the series - so I figured that the increases we saw in Melee and Brawl were the upper bound. Meaning that getting +13 characters was the high end... 39 + 13 = 52. Since that was the upper bound, that meant something a little lower was most likely...

Of course, Sakurai said those things early on, before the full development team took form. With the huge team he has with Namco on board, he might have decided that a little bit larger roster was feasible.

So I don't really know how likely I wanna say those things are, but I think 47 is, at least, the most likely number.

The teasing of Ridley, for example, seems pretty odd if he's not playable. Regardless of your thoughts on the CSS, if you think there's not room for Ridley, whatever. If Sakurai he thought teasing Ridley the way he has been was going to get people excited when he's revealed in full as a stage boss instead of extremely disappointed, that's a marketing fail. Hell, I'd be doubly disappointed since it also means the Pyrosphere has a huge random hazard.

Maybe there are people who were excited by what the Yellow Devil was revealed to be. I was not particularly... I would've much preferred it be an AT, or part of some kind of event mode, or whatever.

And all of that isn't even taking into account DLC. If DLC really is going to happen, then I'd guess that the lower numbers are even more likely - because why bust their asses trying to fit all the characters in at release if they know they can stop, focus on polishing what they do have and release a finely tuned and balanced game at release. Then they have some breathing room to release those extra characters a little later. The Wii U gets the game it desperately needs before Christmas, the fans don't endure any more delay, and they please even more fans with extra characters.

Really, more than anything, it's the Gematsu leak's statement about DLC that would make me lean towards the 47-48 roster.

(See, @ EbonyRubberWolf EbonyRubberWolf , we probably don't even disagree as much as you thought...)

Last edited:

Mars-

Smash Champion
I hope sakurai puts in 50 characters just so you all realize what a waste of time this is guessing roster size based on boxes and rectangles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom