• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS vs DK match up help.

TheRockSays

Smash Journeyman
Well Usually i own DK obviously no match what so ever do to he is very big target. Well that's until i went to the tourney on Friday where i faced Bum in the First Round for singles and doubles O_o(I think that brackets were rigged...... Jokes jokes jokes.)

my fighting style of ZSS, consist of either starting out with a paralyzer into a grab. i caught bum success fully at maybe 2 times on that. I'm a close up person usually in your face i try to stick by my opponent most of the time. The moves i use the Most are Paralyzer (neutral b)Dash attack or grab,uptilt or down tilt,up air or front air,back air(after double down smash),flip kick(only used in Clutch situations or a planed out after a paralizer), Side B(I use this to kill so i don't use it much usually gets the Job done.) Up b( i only use it after down smashes or if i try to make my opponent land on the floor faster or spike him while in the air. I do use Armor pieces against my opponents I'm considering throwing them out after a doubles match i had against bums team **** Halon. I would say I'm a ground type ZSS 70% of the time would only go aerial to take the kill.

Moving on from my Style (This is quite Possibly One of the toughest match ups i have ever faced Even worse then a snake player) i was Gimped 2 times in the first match i got 2 stocked. I can't seem to land a back air that's Probably my biggest issue so far but Dk is such a big target it makes no sense its not even an air dodge(i Believe Bum did not press any button to try to escape the down smash Messing up my timing usually people press buttons and get caught with that move that's just my theory.) after over looking the situation i should of tried to keep getting him chained with the up b and down smash combo and kill him off some how later.

The Second match i got him down to 1 life on my last life i got gimped with dks down tilt on Final D(my favorite stage he banned rainbow cruise so that was not an option so i might have to thing of some other stage for next time obviously Final D is not the answer even though i did good on it.) His DK is very Aerial by the way Bum did win the Tourney i will upload some of the Replays i saved on my wii when he played on it.

How i did in the Tournament um basically i lost the set to Bum, One a set against a clan mate, and then lost to the lets spam the turtle shell game. Sorry if i post how i did on the Tourney but i don't want people not believing me or thought i left after the Bum Match but Please Discuss.

I'm open to suggestions should i change my style or the game plan exact against Dk?(Sorry For my bad grammar I was not Born In the U.S. and i don't like grammar that much im a computer person :O)

crifer

Smash Lord
hey I´m a DK main and all I can say is that...
usually at the same skill level ZSS gives DK a hard time.
But it was not your fault^^ I mean it´s BUM!
He was or is the best melee DK and the best Brawl DK...
vids could help

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Be gay. If you can outcamp someone, outcamp them. It's boring as hell, but you can generally just hold back and just be gay the whole match. DK is better at dealing with your camping than most characters, but you can often hold him off pretty well.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Be gay. If you can outcamp someone, outcamp them. It's boring as hell, but you can generally just hold back and just be gay the whole match. DK is better at dealing with your camping than most characters, but you can often hold him off pretty well.
^do this. Its cheap and all but still its a good tactic.

Tezmata

Smash Apprentice
Can you explain how exactly that is "gay?"

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It has more to do with the way the term "gay" is understood in this community. Basically it means camp and spam, and don't engage your opponent directly until they present an opportunity for you to punish. It's not necessarily a bad or unprofessional strategy. Plenty of top players use it to great success. It just pisses people off, so it's often called "gay."

Although, suggesting that your opponent is attractive (if they're the same sex as you) can certainly throw them off, as well.

Tezmata

Smash Apprentice
I don't see the correlation in the terms... something "gay" is something that pisses someone off. Who came up with that?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I don't see the correlation in the terms... something "gay" is something that pisses someone off. Who came up with that?
Someone you don't know, somewhere you've never been, sometime a long time ago.

TheRockSays

Smash Journeyman
hmm the only way i think of been cheap is by camping and using side b and keeping one armor piece.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Dude just watch me fight Bum next time I go to one of those lol. I'm definitely due for a win I got shafted last time I played but if you get top 2 he'll always be a nice guy and split the money :)

Camp the hell out of him while you have the space, and when he gets a little close anticipate his attacks and counter. You can shield his b-air and either do an up air or b-air out of shield but this takes some skill. Also, be aggressive with comboing him. He's a big target so a forward B as a combo finisher is an option even more than usual.
Be really cautious when he get's really close though. After shielding his smash attacks, the best bet is usually to just roll away. Oh and forward B him while he's charging his punch.

DK2

Smash Apprentice
Most of the time i'm having trouble with DK, they can easily kill you, owww! Those giant hands!

Bouse

Smash Ace
Don't do anything that can be punished by his Fsmash.

When in doubt, punch your opponent in the throat. Should be easy to KO him while he's gasping for air.

TheRockSays

Smash Journeyman
Dam Snakeee i saw the videos good try man Bum hes very awsome player i wish i could go to Tourneys more often and learn from other ZSS players like you snakeee. I can't do nothing without a job i love this game so much. If you guys notices When bum gets to close is you get like 40 damage O_o .

Oh and snakeee here are the videos i just saw browsing through youtube you facing bum i don't think its my place adding videos that are not mine to the archive

match 1-2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxx2t6MzfuI&feature=related
match 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOSTsU6Qjmw

Those were really some epic matches there was this video i came across some dude name Cosmo playing ZSS and Peach beating Bum in that guys profile hes very good player i would like to meet him to.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Dam Snakeee i saw the videos good try man Bum hes very awsome player i wish i could go to Tourneys more often and learn from other ZSS players like you snakeee. I can't do nothing without a job i love this game so much. If you guys notices When bum gets to close is you get like 40 damage O_o .

Oh and snakeee here are the videos i just saw browsing through youtube you facing bum i don't think its my place adding videos that are not mine to the archive

match 1-2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxx2t6MzfuI&feature=related
match 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOSTsU6Qjmw

Those were really some epic matches there was this video i came across some dude name Cosmo playing ZSS and Peach beating Bum in that guys profile hes very good player i would like to meet him to.
Oh thanks for finding those, and for the compliment. Those other videos are of Vanz. He doesn't play Brawl much, but he's still amazing for some reason. He carries a lot over from Melee, and his ZSS is really good.

TheRockSays

Smash Journeyman
Oh thanks for finding those, and for the compliment. Those other videos are of Vanz. He doesn't play Brawl much, but he's still amazing for some reason. He carries a lot over from Melee, and his ZSS is really good.
Np problem i must give support to my fellow ZSS Mainers. Man tell me about it Vanz he excuted his moves flawlessly in battlefield he new that stage like the palm of his hand i gotta learn to use that stage to my advantage i usually just pick final D i feel cramped in small stages.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Brawl really isn't a game you need to practice much. In the two weeks preceding my best placing at Echo and Karn's biweeklies, I didn't play any smash at all. Brawl is one of those games where understanding and applying is important. In that way, a much higher ratio of the game is cerebral than Melee, so being good at Melee really carries over.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Brawl really isn't a game you need to practice much. In the two weeks preceding my best placing at Echo and Karn's biweeklies, I didn't play any smash at all. Brawl is one of those games where understanding and applying is important. In that way, a much higher ratio of the game is cerebral than Melee, so being good at Melee really carries over.
People say that, but if I haven't played for about a week my game is completely off

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
People say that, but if I haven't played for about a week my game is completely off
Diff'rent strokes, I guess. I recall that M2K has said on one or two occasions that he doesn't even train in Brawl. For my part, my ability to be on my game is more dependent on my mood than whether I've played.

kuenzel

Smash Ace
I don't see the correlation in the terms... something "gay" is something that pisses someone off.
Shouting out "That's ****ing gay! or "You're so gay" is a common term for anger and annoyance. in the context of smash, it is often seen as dishonourable, or at the very least, extremely frustrating, when you cannot attack your opponent because they use the same move or tactic repeatingly, usually from a large distance away (spamming).
The person vicimized usually gets very angry, shouting profanity, calling you other names like "cheap" (no relation to money). Gay, used in this context, has no refrence to sexual orientation, like "****" has no relation to a beaver's dwelling.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
For the record, in no way do I mean to defend the use of the word, "gay" in this context, and I mostly use it because it's well-understood by the majority of the community. I don't like it, but it's hard to get my point across otherwise.

Adapt

Smash Lord
my ability to be on my game is more dependent on my mood than whether I've played.
Mine too! If I'm in a good mood I can kick ***

Also, I found out the weirdest thing.

I was playing a couple friends in 1v1s and talking and joking around. While I was playing I got into an argument with one of the guys who wasn't playing and I took my mind off the game for a bit. Apparently during that time I completely obliterated my opponent and pulled off some crazy ****, but I was concentrating on the argument and I don't remember any of it.

It also happened once before in SSB64.

kuenzel

Smash Ace
Anger in an argument could translate to an agressive playstyle- maybe that change up from normal to agressive made you unpredictable, leading to pure pwnage. Like a Falcon Punch in the middle of a chaingrab- Never works, yet ALWAYS works! *Falcon Pawnches screen*

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Mine too! If I'm in a good mood I can kick ***

Also, I found out the weirdest thing.

I was playing a couple friends in 1v1s and talking and joking around. While I was playing I got into an argument with one of the guys who wasn't playing and I took my mind off the game for a bit. Apparently during that time I completely obliterated my opponent and pulled off some crazy ****, but I was concentrating on the argument and I don't remember any of it.

It also happened once before in SSB64.
I'm the other way around. If I start talking during a match, I start to lose pretty bad. I need to be having fun, but also focused.

Generally, winning for me goes hand in hand with my eyes tearing up because I haven't blinked.

TheRockSays

Smash Journeyman
after hearing snakeee likes to play in lylat cruise i gave it a shot. Against Dk its very good counter pick using the platforms with d-smash works wonders. Specially on the platforms near the ledges.

Top Bottom