• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS Matchup Discussion-Outdated

Oro?!

Smash Hero
The purpose of this thread is to analyze ZSS' usability vs. the cast. To achieve this, we must look at ZSS strengths and weaknesses reagarding said matchups, and any sort of strategic evidence that provide us with an answer about her relative strength. The purpose of this thread is not to form "x character is 60:40 vs ZSS". It is merely to identify potential strong and weak matchups, and strategies to incorporate vs these matchups.

To start with, I think it would be best to look into developed Melee characters, specifically Marth.

The Neutral Game

To understand how to fight Marth in the neutral game, you must first understand where Marth is strongest and why. Marth excels when his opponents are above him or about a swords length in front of him. Marth will look to control the ground using his dash dance, approaching with spaced dtilt or grab, and mixing up with meaty dash attack/fsmashes. Marth is, in general, put into a disadvantageous position when in the air or above his opponents, so a good Marth will generally not jump to aerial you unless you put yourself in a favorable position for Marth; ie in your shield by a ledge/under a platform. Marth can shield pretty freely vs ZSS because of the lack of guaranteed followups/positional advantages she can gain from throws. ZSS has the longest startup of any tether grab, as well as the lowest active grab hitbox frames of any tether grab. So what should ZSS be looking to do in the neutral game against Marth? In the long run it turns into a guessing game. SideB is devastating when spaced on Marth's shield as well as safe, and should be safe on whiff too. Marth can clank with sideB using jab/ftilt/fsmash, but he doesn't really gain any ground by doing so. Marth's best options vs sideB would be to get inside during the move start up and shield the weak hit->grab/upB/Fair or clank fair with sideB sweetspot. By using Fair, Marth is able to get inside ZSS' range advantage, while still holding that his sword is longer than any non sideB/grab move ZSS has. This is where the neutral game mixups occur. ZSS' blaster is relatively weak against grounded opponents. Both the strong and weak shots are easy to powershield or just block with little fear of ZSS mixups. Using liberal sideB and should force Marth to take actions that put him in positions that are vulnerable to laser combos like jumping. When playing a keep out/zoning game, this should be your go to strategy.

Since you can't abuse this tactic and outright win the match though, you need to be able to crack Marth's defenses as well as holding a wall of steel in front of yourself. On the offensive side of this matchup, you will need to look where Marth is weakest defensively. Marth is very bad when above his targets as it was pointed out above, but he is also very weak vs quick moves/crouching/opponents who are behind him. Now let's break down these options to understand why they are strong vs Marth and how ZSS can fulfill every one of those roles to successfully bully Marth. Marth has always been pretty susceptible to heavy pressure from spacies. They have so many mixups that don't even have to include shine and Marth's only reaction to them are usually WD oos-> random move(Fsmash or grab namely) or roll. This is because of how Marth's hitboxes work. The majority of them start above Marth, and swing downwards, while not having many active frames on each specific portion of the sword's swing arc. This means that Marth's fair or any downward swinging move takes longer than just the initial startup to hit a character on the ground. Everyone can abuse that fact as long as they have decently fast ground moves after aerials. Marth is notoriously bad at dealing with low crouching opponents like Puff/Sheik/ZSS!!! due to the same principals. It will take Marth's sword even longer to arc downwards to hit a crouching opponent, and may even whiff entirely if he isn't landing with the attack. If you break Marth's tipper spacing when crouched, then it leads to very reliable crouch cancel counters like dtilt at low-mid%s. Lastly, Marth's backside is very weak when he is running away or in shield. He is very susceptible to cross-ups, and this may be the easiest way to set up advantageous frame traps/positioning traps. Since Marth's strongest non WD/roll oos options are fair/nair, you are basically eliminating half of his potential defensive game just by being behind him.

What all of this boils down to is this. When you are in the neutral game vs Marth, attempt to either force bad commits from Marth by zoning with sideB/laser, and mixing up with varied rushdown comprised of laser-> nair, liberal use of jabs and down tilt, and always try to get behind Marth. Dsmash is also very safe in both the zoning game and pressure. It is longer than Marth's Fair range, so if he is being reckless you can get full punishes for him pressing buttons too liberally on offense or defense. Grab should be used sparingly, but make him respect that you have one. If Marth messes up DI on dthrow/uthrow it can lead to big damage or a kill.

I will finish some closing thoughts on neutral game, as well as adding Stage/Combo/Edgeguard knowledge when I get a chance later. Please post any thoughts in any portion of the matchup if you believe you have any evidence to support it.

Stage Selection
Marth is definitely a character you want space to move around with while fighting. You have superior speed and mobility just through your dash and hooligan. Other than stage size, the biggest thing to consider would be platform height/number of platforms. Marth obviously has the best time with platforms that he is able to easily control fully. This means avoid Yoshi's, FoD, PS1, and potentially Battlefield. Marth is also notoriously strong on FD if he is able to frequently get you above him. Stages that have long walls such as Green Hill Zone and Dracula's can definitely aid ZSS recovery, and don't provide Marth with significant advantages other than GHZ being relatively small. You may want to consider taking Marth to Dreamland, PS2, Rumble Falls, or Dracula's. As for stage striking, I feel like ZSS' strongest neutrals in the matchup are PS2/Dreamland/FD so avoid striking those. Strike FoD/Yoshi's and if it's a choice between BF and Smashville, I personally feel ZSS has a better time on BF for mobility reasons even though Marth can use the bottom platforms effectively, but between SV/BF it is most likely just player preference.

EdgeguardingMarth is way harder to edgeguard for a lot of characters in PM relative to Melee. There is no longer the lightshield edgehog that plagued Marth players. If you plan on going offstage to aggressively pursue Marth, wait for him to use dancing blade before you throw out moves. If Marth doesn't bite it is usually in your best interest to just return to ledge/stage because Marth has quite a lot of turnaround potential if he catches you offstage. When on stage, use small blaster shots to disrupt his high recovery and try to limit his recovery options. If Marth is forced to recover low you have to make a decision to either grab the ledge or trying to DSmash his upB (DSmash doesn't hit sweetspots). If Marth goes to stage and you are on the ledge, he has enough land lag for you to Waveland-> turn around DSmash, but the window is very tight. I have not found a super reliable way to edgeguard Marth yet outside of these base guidelines.

As far as combos/setups go, there are not many % specific combos in Melee/PM outside of throws, and I do not have this information developed yet.

Bryonato

Green Hat
This made my day :awesome:

I wish I could add something of value to the discussion but I only have about ~10 matches of experience in this matchup and even then I was still discovering ZSS and have learned a ton since then. I'll be sure to report back later next time I get around to some friendlies.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I got a lot to add I'm just taking a break. I have limited experience AS Marth in this matchup, but quite a bit against Marth and just playing as Marth in Melee in general. I will try to finalize this tonight... it's just a lot of effort.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
yeah i was going to say anytime i fight a marth i usually play a baiting game with jumping back sideb or wavedashing back down smash just to get openings.or get in his face and mix up dtilt with jab since its so quick.also if a marth is waiting for me i shoot the blaster to look for reactions or just to let them know that i dont have to approach.
i know you said you were going to talk about the staging but i had a specific question about that.would a stage like battlefield be more helpful to zss or marth because it does feel like zss has a pretty strong game under platforms.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Battlefield is probably really neutral for both characters. Marth can tipper fsmash through the lower platforms, but he can't cover the entire platform like he can with Yoshi's/PS1. In general Marth is going to do better on the small cramped stages with smaller platforms, and ZSS will need room for mobility to out maneuver Marth so things like Dreamland and Rumble Falls seem ideal vs Marth.

Bryonato

Green Hat
I agree. I think the larger the stage the better as far as ZSS goes. I always feel uncomfortable on smaller stages in certain matchups and Marth is no exception.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I tend to be pretty comfortable on most stages. When I am banning or picking in serious sets, my decisions are usually based more on exploiting weaknesses in their characters rather than stages that showcase ZSS' strengths. Every matchup feels really different to me as ZSS and I tend to focus on ways to highlight the strategies I need to win through stage selection.

Just a couple of examples. SideB is basically Bowser's bane of existence. He is too slow to shffl fair over side B to break the spacing, and he cannot run past the end hitboxes and shield like faster characters can. One would think sideB is super effective vs bigger characters in general, but it's more of a Bowser specific trait. Vs Charizard has actually has a faster run speed than you wtf! He has the 4th fastest run speed while ZSS is trudging along at 5th. This combined with his massive grab range allows him to generally get inside of sideB and do as he pleases with you. In addition to that, Zard can nair or fair on reaction basically over your sideB. This leads sideB to be effective, but not spammable vs Zard despite Bowser/Zard being a similar character archetype.

Another example would be more of a general concept. ZSS blaster is very effective on the whole at keeping people out as well as finding holes for you to get in with your pressure/setups. Vs Squirtle it is basically a dead move. Squirtle's standing animation doesn't get hit by some standing lasers, and his Crawl/sideB are basically impervious to your laser game. Squirtle creates a very awkward matchup if he is content with crawling and SideB. Your Nair is very ineffective vs a low to the ground Squirtle since the range where Nair hits that low is very risky. The only solution I could come up with was creating a wall with Dsmash/sideB/low Bairs/pivot grabs. Squirtle can't beat those options by using crawl/sideB, which are the options he uses to make over half of your moveset useless lol. Once squirtle tries other moves, or even tries to do aerials at you, that's when you can expand your moveset as well and even utilize laser.

Anyways I think the point of this rant was more so this. What stages can I use to make my strategies against Bowser way more effective? Why not FD/Dreamland/Rumble Falls? On the other hand if I am playing against a Sonic, what stages can slow Sonic down? I tend to like things like Battlefield/Yoshi's/or maybe even PS2.

It's hard to really say these are ZSS' best stages, and these are her worst. Agreed that you should be avoiding small stages vs Marth though.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I really hate any smaller stage with ZSS. I feel extremely claustrophobic on any stage where I don't have enough room to move. I honestly think Battlefield is one of her best stages due to the platforms and by not being TOO small. I always feel comfortable on that stage (which is strange considering I HATED BF in Brawl) Against Bowser the two most important things are Space, followed by platforms. I actually really enjoy the Skyward Sword stage (name escapes me) against Bowser. FD, Dreamland, and Rumble Falls are probably all very solid choices against him as well.

When I pick a stage I just try to avoid the really small ones (Yoshi's, Metal Cavern, even FoD) because there just isn't enough room to do everything you can/want. The stages you listed give you the space you want for your laser game and make UpB a good way to cover vertical space and make getting in on you awkward for Bowser.

Just my two cents.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
how about that new fire stage in 2.5? (cant remember the name:norfair i think)
but i do not really like using zss on that stage because it consists of pretty much nothing but platforms
on a side note i always enjoy PS2 with her because it has the two platforms, a good amount of space, and opponents cant get extremely close to the edges when trying to recovery because they risk getting caught underneath it...thats when i come in with the dsmash.lol

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
If we are done talking about the marth match up.can we talk about the mario matchup because i seem to have trouble with that one. Mario seems particularly well rounded (in my opinion probably the most well rounded of the game).i tend to have trouble when trying to find an opening against him especially when there are fireballs everywhere

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I like Yoshi's in certain matchups. I dunno maybe I'm just weird.
You'll have to tell me which ones...Maybe it's just against Bowser, but I'm not a huge fan of the stage outside of Fsmash killing at stupidly low percentages and wall jumping. No space + tiny bound boxes and lightweight = paranoia.

how about that new fire stage in 2.5? (cant remember the name:norfair i think)
but i do not really like using zss on that stage because it consists of pretty much nothing but platforms
on a side note i always enjoy PS2 with her because it has the two platforms, a good amount of space, and opponents cant get extremely close to the edges when trying to recovery because they risk getting caught underneath it...thats when i come in with the dsmash.lol
Yeah, I really like PS2 with ZSS too, it's the perfect amount of space AND it has platforms. It'll be especially important for some match-ups, I believe, to make sure we have these on our side. I've played Norfair a grand total of ONE TIMES...I'm not sure if it's good for her either because I was playing someone else, haha. I'll have to explore it, it definitely seems like an underrated CP stage.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I really like PS2 with ZSS too, it's the perfect amount of space AND it has platforms. It'll be especially important for some match-ups, I believe, to make sure we have these on our side. I've played Norfair a grand total of ONE TIMES...I'm not sure if it's good for her either because I was playing someone else, haha. I'll have to explore it, it definitely seems like an underrated CP stage.
yeah i played quite a bit when 2.5 first came out because i thought it looked awesome (and still does) just not when im ZSS.lol. needless to say i play against the spacies ALOT so i just got abused by falco and wolf all over those platforms on there.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I wanna write a bit more about Marth but the whole op is just my opinion haha. If you guys wanna go off of that then no skin off my back, just post up when you might get new insights or learn anything matchup related.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
if you have more oro then please share whenever you get the chance.lol. i do need it since i get to play against a decent amount of marth so anything is helpful

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Updated OP with some small info tidbits. Didn't really have anything major to add. Is there a character you guys want to talk about if there isn't anything you want to add about Marth?

@Yars, It's hard for me to think of some on the spot but I would definitely think Puff/Sonic might be a few examples I like on YS.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
The only bit of advice I can offer about ZSS against Marth is to keep Marth away. ZSS's 'tenderizer' as I like to call it, reaches just a bit farther than Marth's sword. You can go for an early grab or F-smash if Marth is charging at you, or just zap 'em with her paralyzer, a good friend of hers. I don't really play ZSS a lot (kill myself a lot with her recovery), but when I play against ZSS I know the biggest problem I have dealing with is getting in around the projectiles and long reaching F-smash, as well as any of her other long reaching attacks.

Bryonato

Green Hat
So any new thoughts after SMYM? Looks like you had Dart pretty figured out in that last set. SHLaser + Nair seems to be bread and butter as far as approaching goes?

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Something I should've done more of when he was just walling with Fairs was laser-> dash cancel->shield. If he hits your shield you can uair oos, and if he doesn't just wd back and try again. It's not a very wise idea to challenge Marth, especially not as much as I did. I ate a lot of free moves and combo starters for trying to bash heads with Marth, especially one of Dart's calibur. SideB and Dsmash are way more punishable on whiff than I thought before. Dart learned that he could dash attack and fsmash both on reaction to me throwing those moves out casually. If you are playing an Fsmash happy Marth, just remember that your Fsmash is longer than his. It still feels like a relatively close matchup, but maybe Marth might win by a little? I'm still not 100% sure but I do know there is a lot of room for both Dart and I to improve in the matchup.

Bryonato

Green Hat
SideB and Dsmash are way more punishable on whiff than I thought before.
This is what contributed to my "high risk, high reward" statement about ZSS in the GD of this subforum. My buddy plays a very FSmash heavy Marth and I've found that I have to be much more conservative with my SideB/DSmash usage.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
im jumping to a new subject a bit unless we are still talking about marth. but what about the matchup versus the spacies. i find it a little harder to constantly juggle them as much as other characters can and rely alot on tech chasing in those mus.is there a more consistent way to fight them?

clowsui

Smash Legend
Falco and Fox there is no discussion. The summary for that is "pick a different character". ZSS gets 7-3'dby the two dominant spacies if they have any idea of what they're doing. I'm gonna catch a lot of heat for this post containing little specifics but as far as I'm concerned I think you should be bettering yourself as a player first, always, and if it means learning a different character because this MU sucks, then so be it.

Here's a breakdown:

Close range: ZSS sucks here. She does not have a setup from her jab because it's a "get off me" kind of move that can be CC'd all the way up to like 50-60% with no real repercussions. On the other hand Falco/Fox jabs are DI traps and if they lead to knockdown situation Fox and Falco have several options that lead to great advantage at best, reset at worst. If ZSS initiates a close range game she does not have the ability to generate advantage other than stupid grab based resets (which are defeated by jumping; ZSS has no real "close range" quick anti-airs) or gimmicks like jab, dair (LOL have fun being blocked and getting punished HARD), delayed crossup Nair (your opponent's reactions have to be off for this to work). If Fox and Falco initiate a close range game chances are they are performing an aerial on your block, which can be made safe by shine, and everyone knows ZSS is combo food and has a bad shield so yeah.

TL,DR: ZSS sucks at close range, use gimmicks if you initiate if Fox and Falco initiate try to find frame holes so you can escape

Close-mid range: So here's the really really bad news. ZSS has a "dead zone" at this range and therefore must run away to spaces where she has options. It's actually why she has mobility (so she doesn't just get endgamed 24/7, but more on that in a bit), but that's getting away from the point. Right beyond her standing ftilt and inside the tipper of standing side B. All of her options here are unsafe or too slow or don't reach. Fox and Falco on the other hand play setup games by confirming your reaction at this range. When they know that your reaction is "run away" and that there is no such thing as "stand my ground", this essentially leaves a huge hole in ZSS' macro that Fox and Falco can abuse. Put in another way, Fox and Falco can make it their overall gameplan to continuously put you in close-mid range situations (with little-to-no-risk) and then laugh as you run out of stage space and initiate close range, anti-air or ledge scenario.

The slightly good news is that ZSS kind of has an answer to this. Remember that mobility I was talking about? Coupled w blaster + side b, she can disguise this dead zone somewhat and make it a little more difficult for Fox and Falco to steamroll her. She actually has an easier time vs Fox at this range IMO because he doesn't have a laser that stuns and the options that cover this range for him (fullhop nair, overshoot nair) require you to be a little bit pinned already. Anyways, if the Fox/Falco know what they're doing, close-mid is a nightmare, but you should just try your best to take advantage of their persistence to be at this range and punish their mistakes.

Mid-range: OK so ZSS has cool things here. Also, Fox and Falco are weak at this range but it's other traits that mitigate this (for Falco it's his laser and for Fox it's his speed). This is where you really want to be playing the matchup the most because you can start dash cancelling laser, create timing traps w side B, use nair for real, use bair as a pseudo-wall, etc. I have a preference against dsmash based setups because of how easy it is for you to get ****ed if you mess up (dsmash hitbox is low-ish to the ground, Fox and Falco like to jump into their close-mid setups, you do the math).

The fact that ZSS is good at this range does not make the matchup manageable. If you think it's manageable, you're fooling yourself. Did you know that Fox and Falco can just choose to run away from this situation? Yeah. When they run away, they get into..

Long-mid range: ZSS has kind of problems with this range. Her only effective option is advancing side b to cover this, but that's like super telegraphed (and faking it doesn't do anything for her really). If her blaster had a faster charge + cancel time...okay now I'm whining. Falco and Fox on the other hand, their projectiles are just beautiful here. They're still safe and this is where they start reacting/preparing for your response. And the best part is if they're still uncertain they can just create more space at low cost, because if you whiff side B you're a sitting duck.

Long range: not much of the match is played here but obviously the spacies have an advantage because they have full screen projectiles.

On juggling: Ah here's another situation that ZSS does okay in. ZSS' Uair is OP, only thing I'd like to note is Falco and Fox have things like Shine to delay their fall and in the case of Falco a dair that you really don't want to trade with. UpB is not worth it vs spacies btw (not like it's really worth much outside of gimmick but anyways I digress).

The fact that ZSS does well at juggling Falco and Fox does not make the matchup manageable. Platforms make this juggling stuff way harder and juggling spacies is kinda tricky sometimes because of spacies fall speed + shine delay + double jump(s). Momentum-powered juggling (which is awesome for ZSS and what makes her better than other characters) only comes from luck because of her huge disadvantage in the neutral, as she can't effectively get grabs or dsmashes on the spacies.

On edgeguarding: don't try it. Just set up your trap.

On ledge trapping: ZSS actually has one of the best ledge traps in the game but you have to be so goddamn clean lol. She does well vs every character here so I don't need to expand I think.

Once again, the fact that ZSS does well at ledge trapping Falco/Fox does not make the matchup manageable. Falco and Fox can make it part of their macro to not land themselves in ledge trap scenarios, instead choosing to take juggle situations, where they're less likely to die. And if your ledge trap is off or your reactions are off (they can play w your reaction with their weird jump arcs on the ledge and regrabbing for a long time), they can recover w relative ease and then you will be pinned on the ledge which is boo-hoo for ZSS. Oh yeah, speaking of which...

On being ledge trapped/juggled: Fox and Falco have fun pinning their opponent whenever. ZSS' ability to escape juggles/ledge traps is bad in general. Fox and Falco can create these scenarios pretty easily on any character but ZSS especially because she's combo food/steamroll bait (see above). Yep. They have a little trouble covering down B IIRC (haven't played PM in a long time) but that's about it(?).

On being edgeguarded: this blows. Careful of shine gimp setups. Especially be careful of telegraphing a transition in recovery strategies (i.e. going high to low).

On stages: Generally smaller stages are a bad idea. Larger stages are going to be really terrible cuz he can camp the balls off you.

Here's my recommendations:
Lylat Cruise - Severely underrated stage for ZSS, this stage's tilting factor creates setup potential for ZSS as well as awkwardness for the space animals on approach.
Smashville - Moving platform helps you but not them very much.
YI:B - Slants! And that giant platform in the middle makes their game awkward =)
Norfair - I know this stage is balls for ZSS but it's even more balls for Fox and Falco imo. I also happen to like this stage a lot, so here's where my bias is.
FoD: This stage doesn't offer overwhelming advantages to Fox and Falco and it's medium-sized. Then again I've never once played on it w ZSS. Someone offer input.

Anyways BZoo just talk about Wolf, a matchup that's actually fair.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I agree with a lot... and disagree with a lot...

Probably just gonna write like an essay on spacies tomorrow lol. Tbh Wolf might be just as hard as Fox/Falco just because he mas more playstyles threats and can contest ZSS in her strongest zones.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
i really dont like playing FoD.but thats just me as a person.lol.and i like PS2 because when you are on the platforms they have to adjust the way they jump and use projectiles which can effect their game.

also i agree with oro about wolf...i dont think alot of ppl know how much of a threat wolf is yet.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
While I agree that wolf is good, I think its more of a matchup specific goodness, rather than global goodness like with Fox/Falco.

I definitely slacked on spacies. : (

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Any character that can cover above them selves with hitboxes well, and are fast present a lot of problems for ZSS. Marth/Falcon/Ike do basically the same thing as well.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
You have no reason to intentionally go above Ike, but I was referring to when you are in a juggle state and your options are basically to hooligan or not hooligan and do random aerials/air dodges/double jumps. It's the same reason that Zard is hard, and they will both kill you for being above them. Ike is way more manageable in the neutral game though. Spacies never really put you down once you get hit above them either, but I figured that was more common knowledge that ZSS gets destroyed by them.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Zard using dair when you are above him? I think I misinterpreted something along the way. >_>

Regardless, ZSS is a terrible mix of weight and floatiness. She is lighter than Marth, and falls way faster. Basically a perfect combo weight for the majority of the cast. Zard getting 0-deaths on ZSS is fairly common from my experience of playing Metroid, and while ZSS can do the same back to him it is way less frequent since she has no reliable setups truth be told.

RingWormTheDestroyer

Smash Apprentice
I just meant Zard using dair in general haha. He'll just Nair if you're above him. I think the problem with 0-death against zard is ZSS low kill power and how hard Zard is to kill in general.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Zard also has a crouch cancel of the gods, a huge shield that makes powershielding lasers even more of a joke than normal, and can dash in past sideb/dsmash spacing on reaction with their huge startups for basically free punishes.

Top Bottom