• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS help

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Hey, I seem to be having a huge mental block against this character. She has combos, doesn't really get combo'd, doesn't get gimped, setups into kill moves, and amazing mobility. How do I handle her? When I try to set up a fireball, I try to space it out by jumping back, but ZSS just gets through it with her paralyzer dash cancels. It seems like the only time I get anything is when she runs into it. Help?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
We REALLY need to start the MU discussion on a character basis haha! You could ask over there, but since you started this I'll give my input.

I second ZSS, but I don't read much about her. She does have a devastating Dair->Dair combo, but not sure how well that works on floaties like Zelda. ZSS is super fast, but she does have a hard time killing. Moves to look out for are DSmash, bair, uair, fair (the second hit, and the dive kick from her down B. Watch out for Smash too. DSmash is relatively quick but can be intercepted. Use Nayru's sparingly, but remember it can reflect her charge shot

I would recommend a lot of Din's in the air, because ZSS aerials are moderately strong and are mostly pretty quick. her grabs are good as are her throws, but remember she still has the most endlag on her grab, so you can definitely punish her hard when she misses

ZootSuit

Smash Rookie
The trick to avoiding the Dair->Dair combo is proper DI. As a ZSS main I can tell you that the dair -> dair combo becomes significantly harder to perform should my opponent use any horizontal DI.

M@v

Subarashii!
I REALLY wish my matchup vs vanz was recorded, we did Zelda vs ZSS one game. The thing to remember about ZSS is she sucks at killing reliably. Only her bair is a solid kill move. At high percents, play to avoid bair at all costs. I lived to over 200% vs Vanz one stock that way.

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Hmm think about it as if she only has 0.5 grabs instead of one. You can shield more often and just generally rethink how you would normally force people into situations where grabbing is best (or mindgame situations where grabs are crucial), and then think how the bad grab affects ZSS here.
Your symptoms seem to show it is about your combo DI and your neutral game, DI the dair horizontally, other moves can be more complicated but DI in a way that her current movement doesn't catch you (so DI in if she is in a dash jump woth much momentum and DI out if she is in a jump without horizontal momentum for example).
In the neutral game, as you learn to avoid getting hit more and more you will see ZSS really has a hard time forcing options on you. If you do it right less mistake by her will eventually lead to a neutral game win for you than you would need to make a mistake to let her win the neutral game.

Top Bottom