• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zoning

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Sigh lets face it the hardest part about playing 3 different Pokemon is to figure out how to "zone" and adjust their playstyles from one to the next. Its so hard to figure out when to approach and when to run away or space yourself. Also when to attack and when not to attack.

If anyone has any ideas of whats the most effective way of "Zoning" share it!

Blitzmidfielder

Smash Journeyman
Ivysaur's Zoning speaks for itself with Razor Leaf and Bair.

Charizard, I feel, does fine with Flamethrower.

Squirtle gains space with Water Pulse.

You should also add in the definition of 'zoning' in the OP post.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
heres is a guideline to know when to appraoch or not

1. Do i have the percent lead?
_____2. yes: Does my opponent have a projectile?
_____________3. yes: Is it better than mine?
______________________4. Yes: Appraoch
______________________4. No: Dont Approach
_____________3. No: Dont approach
______2. no: Approach

also on the topic of zoning, the op is kinda asking us some magik(get it?) way to make it easier for you to learn the charcater, pokemon trainer has 3 characters so only practice will teach you how far you should be and how to box, simply because they share a character portrait doesnt make it easier and it really is like learning 3 characters

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
in typh's picture, the dark green is ivysaur's sexy spot, literally and figuratively. i call it the "G Spot" sometimes.

the light green is where ivysaur can kind of space

the light red is where ivysaur cannot space, in this situation, you attempt to put yourself in a "green" position again

the dark red is where ivysaur automatically dies

Excellence

Smash Champion
Everyone here understands what zoning is, correct? It doesn't seem hard at all to figure out the correct zones for your character(s). You should know each and everyone one of your pokemon's attacks, ranges when using said attacks, and speed when using their attacks. That being said, as long as you also know the match-up you can always determine when you're safe and when you're at risk. Use the tools given to you correctly and you'll be fine. Maybe I can help... Want to give me an example or a situation?

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Ivysaur's B-air reaches twice the length of final destination, and goes from top of the screen to the bottom. There are two vines, so you can't dodge it. It is the ultimate zoning technique. It also spikes, and if it connects your opponent is stunned for six minutes in sheer awe.

This would be how you zone.

(slight exaggerations may apply, see box for details)

Top Bottom