• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zoning. What it is, and why it's important.

Pho

Smash Journeyman
Since I've been helping a couple of Toon Link players in the critique thread, and even playing one myself, I figure I'll finally contribute something to the boards.

Zoning

What is zoning?

The idea of zoning is using the qualities of each character has to limit the number of approaches or ways to be KOed, or gimped. Although each character has their way of doing so, Toon Link commonly uses projectiles as a tool to zone their opponent, limiting their options. Most Toon Link players already do so by projectile spamming, which is great. This thread will hopefully enlighten new and veteran players alike. I'll be focusing more on using projectiles their qualities to zone opponents.

Why is it important?

Since some Toon Link players have a hard time getting a kill or getting in close to deal damage with swordplay, zoning is important to keep you safe, and at worst, limit their options of punishing.

Where do we start?

It really varies on what character your opponent is in terms of what projectile use is efficient. Using Ice Climbers as an example, not getting grabbed is extremely important. With that in mind, throwing projectiles forward would be a good option, since it would force them to either block, jump, or simply do an attack to negate your projectiles. Again, some are worse than others, but the three I mentioned above is a lot better than getting grabbed.

Projectiles and their qualities.

Arrows
Although slow in comparison to other projectiles, it's great for stopping approaches from the front. When short hopped, or even full hopped, it's still useful to stop aerials.

Boomerang
A very flexible projectile that can be tossed in different directions. Great for stopping short hop approaches or front approaches if thrown downwards, and the boomerang stalls a bit before it comes back to you. It even stops full hop approaches when thrown at 45 degrees or in the air.

Bomb
One of my favorite tools for zoning since it opens options for you, and limits your opponents. Since bomb throwing has low lag, it's great for follow ups.

Zair
Not exactly a projectile, but it's long an enough to be considered as one. Especially since the lag when hitting the ground is only two frames. It's great for combo set ups, shield pressure, and mixing it up with your projectiles.

Zoning in battle

Again, it all varies on each character, but zoning effectively will give your opponents the impression that approaching you will be hard and dangerous. Keeping it up will be difficult as well, as Toon Link players are commonly getting more predictable. One of the best things I've learned as a Toon Link player is throwing two projectiles at once. It doesn't have to be the same projectile, such as the short hop double arrow.

The following list is what can be done, and what it does.

Standing
Single arrow -> Blocks frontal approaches.
Boomerang -> Blocks frontal approaches and aerial approaches, depending on the direction.
Bombs -> Blocks frontal approaches. Also can cause your opponent to block longer, roll, or run if they block the bomb, since the bomb bounces off, and will still be in range of the explosion.

Short hop
Short hop double arrow -> Blocks frontal approaches as well as short hop approaches.
Bomb pull to quick draw -> Blocks frontal approaches as well as giving you a bomb to have at your disposal.
Boomerang -> Can be thrown in multiple directions, so can cover a lot of ground where your arrows or bombs can't.
Zair -> Blocks both frontal and short hop approaches very well.
Ibomb -> Great for blocking close range and prevention of getting grabbed. Even getting hit by it as well will pop you up, so an interesting way to escape.
Short hop bomb throw to quick draw -> Great for shield pressure.

This is where things get exciting.
Full hop
Arrow barrage -> shooting three arrows in one jump will stop full hop or short hop approaches well, but they may have enough time to approach you directly if they're too close.
Boomerang to zair -> Great for shield pressure. Can lead up to a grab when coming in from a zair. Just make sure you can grab them without them grabbing you... Throwing the boomerang upwards instead of at them will limit their options of jumping, depending on how you throw it.
Bomb to bomb throw to zair or quick draw -> Again, great shield pressure, and with the bomb hanging in the air, it can lead to a recatch, or more shield pressure, since they have to hold it out longer and wait for the bomb to explode, or retreat.

I'm sure there's a lot more. I'll add more when things come up or other people post options.

Double projectile play and shield pressure
Shield pressure is extremely important for every character, but for Toon Link it may be more important since a lot of people rely on the up smash for the kill. Nothing wrong with that, but once your opponent sees it coming, or sees you in killing mode, landing a killing strike will be difficult and dangerous. Shield pressure however will take away their options of shielding/blocking, which a big defensive option. Being able to take away that will lead to more damage in projectile use, and combos to work better and efficiently.

Conclusion
Being one of the characters with the most versatile in projectile play, it's our job to know how to use them, and how it will effect our opponents.

I'll be editing this from time to time, feel free to comment or ask questions.

VGSteve

Smash Apprentice
Not a bad job Pho! Zoning is pivotal to this game, and any character can do it. TL has the advantage of projectiles, but ultimately the ability to gain and maintain control of space is definitely one of the harder things to learn in this game. Skill levels between Toon Links are really separated by their ability to zone.

Pho

Smash Journeyman
We have a (stickied) useful links thread which is close enough.

However, I think, with a bit of work, this could get it's own spot as a sticky.
I will extend it soon. I just didn't want to forget anything important that I thought of at the time. Later on I'll do a section on swordplay as well. Thanks for the comments!

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Well nair and A combo are best for spacing with the sword. Maybe fTilt but it's slow enough I wouldn't count on it. It's actually pretty good out of a zair though. That can really put some space between you and your opponent.

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
Great Guide! I think this just made Meta Knight **** himself...
Hopefully xD I'll keep this stuff in mind.

UncleSam

Smash Master
o so that's what Zoning meant... I feel stupid right nao
I just Zair ****, it's been working wonders for me, but when I have to I'll projectile camp

Pho

Smash Journeyman
o so that's what Zoning meant... I feel stupid right nao
I just Zair ****, it's been working wonders for me, but when I have to I'll projectile camp
If people can't deal with zair, they must not know the Toon Link match up well.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
lol theres nothing wrong with spamming spaced Zairs

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
After the first zair the opponent sees the second one coming. Quickly resets the spacing powershields it and grabs. Now ur put in a terrible position. Tell me what is not wrong with that? :toonlink:

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I don't think you understand the concept of spacing moves.
You're saying you can't use 2 Zairs in a row?

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Telegraphed moves are telegraphed. A frame 12 move that u have to use on ur way down from ur short hop. But w/e i dont want to argue about zair anymore. I know i should zair sparingly, smart and perfectly spaced. Not spam it. :toonlink:

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
If it's perfectly spaced then you won't need to worry about getting punished for spamming it because it auto-cancels.

UncleSam

Smash Master
If it's perfectly spaced then you won't need to worry about getting punished for spamming it because it auto-cancels.
well there is always the frames after that for whatever you're doing next but yeah what Sheikant said.
IDK I don't try to spam it, maybe I just used **** in the wrong context

Top Bottom