• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Zamus = Shiek

Status
Not open for further replies.

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
I did a search and didn't find anything so if somebody has already braught this up, I don't care. Here it is: Has nobody realized that Zero Suit Samus has the same moves as Shiek? Even the same body type. She has the gun/whip just like Shiek's ninja stars and whip. And the moves she's done in the trailers very closely resemble Shiek's (down smash).

On top of that, they are using the Twighlight Princess build of Princess Zelda so it wouldn't make any sence to have her transform into Shiek.

So for Samus players angry about Samus' final smash: Why are you angry? Samus hasn't changed. It should be the Shiek players who are angry. I would put money on Zero Suit Samus being a near identical clone of Shiek.

Zero_Mystakes4U

Smash Rookie
I did a search and didn't find anything so if somebody has already braught this up, I don't care. Here it is: Has nobody realized that Zero Suit Samus has the same moves as Shiek? Even the same body type. She has the gun/whip just like Shiek's ninja stars and whip. And the moves she's done in the trailers very closely resemble Shiek's (down smash).

On top of that, they are using the Twighlight Princess build of Princess Zelda so it wouldn't make any sence to have her transform into Shiek.

So for Samus players angry about Samus' final smash: Why are you angry? Samus hasn't changed. It should be the Shiek players who are angry. I would put money on Zero Suit Samus being a near identical clone of Shiek.
After seeing the new update on smash dojo today you might have a point there, I kinda like how they are combining the 2 characters like that. But I don't think she'll have the same moves as shiek, similar smash moves? possibly a few, but she wont be a complete shiek replacement.

soaz

Smash Ace
i agree with zero but i believe that this has already been said(it wasnt a thread).

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, what, with her Power Suit becoming nothing more than a throwable item. I think the change isn't reversable.

. . . Like was stated on the Dojo site, Final Smashes can only be used ONCE (per charactor or per game is unknown; likely per charactor, though), so don't expect to see any Zero Suit Samus Final Smashes.

And don't expect her to be able to change back because of it, either; if she did, then it would mean she couldn't be Zero Suit anymore, since she can only Final Smash once.

So, either way, this confirms that a Samus Change in Suits will be permanent for each battle, as well as item-based.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer

This has been mentioned a number of times before, but I have to disagree with it.

I really don't see Zamus' gun working the same way as Sheik's needles, and I doubt her whip (if that's what it really even is) would work the same way Sheik's chain did. Sheik's chain is a solid, where as Zamus' whip is more of a plasma.

Maybe she'll have some smash moves similar to Sheik's, but I think people are only clinging to Zamus with this idea because at this point she's the only transformation character (So she MUST be exactly like Sheik, right?).

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master

EXACTLY. In every thread about the new update I've been saying "ZSS better be a Sheik-like character" . Many people are saying that she's going to be weak and useless because it didn't even show her kicking butt in the pics, but getting owned by Zelda.
I'm SERIOUSLY hoping she's a Sheik like character though, or else I won't be using Samus at all.

Gaudion

Smash Apprentice
I really don't see Zamus' gun working the same way as Sheik's needles, and I doubt her whip (if that's what it really even is) would work the same way Sheik's chain did. Sheik's chain is a solid, where as Zamus' whip is more of a plasma.
You're just splitting hairs, here. If they're going to be different or similiar then they're going to be different or similiar regardless of graphical differences or applied logic, which by now should have absolutely no place in Smash Bros.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
You're just splitting hairs, here. If they're going to be different or similiar then they're going to be different or similiar regardless of graphical differences or applied logic, which by now should have absolutely no place in Smash Bros.
True, but we can still base SOME things on real physics. Smash takes a lot of liberty with physics, but that doesn't mean they're just thrown out the window.

Gravity is still in effect.
Liquids still displace when touched, unlike solids (think of Mario's target test, or the windmill version of Pokemon stadium).
Hair and loose clothing still blow in the wind and move when running or falling. (for a melee example, look at Peach on Big Blue or something. For a Brawl example, look at a picture of Zamus falling or something of the like. Her ponytail moves)

The fact is, matter still acts the same way in in these games as it does in real life. By this logic, a laser whip probably will not act the same way a solid chain does. Could you picture Zamus just letting her laser whip lie on the ground like that, being effected by gravity? Doesn't seem like it would work to me. Do you really think her blaster would release firepower the same way Sheik releases needles? Guns don't generally work that way.

I'm not splitting hairs, I'm just speculating. Which is what this whole board is for. If Zamus is going to be the new Sheik, then she's going to be the new Sheik, but I strongly believe she won't be.

nuro

Smash Lord

First of all you have no experience in SSBM at all it seems. The priority in Sheik's moves doesnt compare with Zamus. Sheik's tilt send a character upwards while Zamus's pushes them away. Sheiks uptilt starts from the back of her and does a second hit infront of her Zamus is completely different. And that mus be Zamus's UpSmash so how could you compare it with Sheiks down smash. You cant even spell Sheik correctly. Sheik can't move with her whip its nothing like Zamus's and the ability to be able to charge multiple "Needles" is nothing like charging one powerful shot aka megaman style which is what Zamus's gun did in her game.

Yes, I think sheik is a strong character in Melee but I wouldn't make puns at her being completely over powered. Of course I find it a bit funny that you would say Zeldas Final Smash is sheik but at the same time I see that you can't beat a Sheik player because you have no skill. There are characters such as Marth or Fox who can easily rival sheik in tier listing. If in the right hands a bowser can beat a sheik so stop complaining about sheiks "cheapness" and just figure out how to get better and beat sheik instead.

I don't think you complaints will ever make you win so stop making them.

Sgt.Frog

Smash Apprentice
I'm really not hoping for this to be the case, I want to play as ZSS, but if they scrap Sheik i'll be really disappointed.
I know Zelda's in her TP suit, but SSB goes against paradoxes anyway, why not include her anyway, she was a popular character.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
Also, Smash constantly implements things from not only other games, but Smash itself. Shiek doesn't have to be 'from Zelda games', but rather 'a character from Zelda games from Smash'.

Kinda confusing, I know, but I think it's good lol.

Gaudion

Smash Apprentice
The fact is, matter still acts the same way in in these games as it does in real life. By this logic, a laser whip probably will not act the same way a solid chain does. Could you picture Zamus just letting her laser whip lie on the ground like that, being effected by gravity? Doesn't seem like it would work to me. Do you really think her blaster would release firepower the same way Sheik releases needles? Guns don't generally work that way.

I'm not splitting hairs, I'm just speculating. Which is what this whole board is for. If Zamus is going to be the new Sheik, then she's going to be the new Sheik, but I strongly believe she won't be.
You are splitting hairs. According to your logic, Samus' Grappling Beam shouldn't work either, but we all know it does. Speculate all you want and strongly believe whatever you want but do not bring real-world physics into this.

First of all you have no experience in SSBM at all it seems. The priority in Sheik's moves doesnt compare with Zamus. Sheik's tilt send a character upwards while Zamus's pushes them away. Sheiks uptilt starts from the back of her and does a second hit infront of her Zamus is completely different.
Similiar characters having widely different priority and hit physics is nothing new or unusual in Smash Bros. Just look at Mario and Dr. Mario, Roy and Marth, Captain Falcon and Gannondorf, Fox and Falco, etc. You're the one looking like you've got no Smash experience with an argument like that.

And that mus be Zamus's UpSmash so how could you compare it with Sheiks down smash. You cant even spell Sheik correctly. Sheik can't move with her whip its nothing like Zamus's and the ability to be able to charge multiple "Needles" is nothing like charging one powerful shot aka megaman style which is what Zamus's gun did in her game.
The bottom line is that at this point we really do not know how she's going to work. She may be a Sheik clone in the tradition of SSBM-style clones, or she may play entirely different. We don't know, we can only speculate. But applying real-world phsyics and even past video game performance is not really a solid argument. They've taken plenty of liberties with all of the existing characters in Brawl, Melee, and the original, so it wouldn't be out of line for them to continue that trend now.

Yes, I think sheik is a strong character in Melee but I wouldn't make puns at her being completely over powered. Of course I find it a bit funny that you would say Zeldas Final Smash is sheik but at the same time I see that you can't beat a Sheik player because you have no skill. There are characters such as Marth or Fox who can easily rival sheik in tier listing. If in the right hands a bowser can beat a sheik so stop complaining about sheiks "cheapness" and just figure out how to get better and beat sheik instead.
I bolded my favorite part there. So, in your opinion, Sheik is balanced because the other two characters that, along with him, make up the best three characters in the game have a shot at winning?

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
So, in your opinion, Sheik is balanced because the other two characters that, along with him . . .
Her. Duh. :p

Once per Smash Ball
Sakurai said:
The Final Smash is a secret skill that can be performed but once…
Not once per Smash Ball, just once. Whether that applies to each charactor or the entire battle is still debateable, however.

And Sheik will be in Brawl. Just wait.
No she won't. Just wait.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
You are splitting hairs. According to your logic, Samus' Grappling Beam shouldn't work either, but we all know it does. Speculate all you want and strongly believe whatever you want but do not bring real-world physics into this.
You only further help my point by bringing up Samus' grappling beam. It works exactly the way it should. When she uses it, it comes straight out and back in, unless it actually grabs someone. In that case, when she throws them, it flails around because it's been disrupted. It doesn't get effected by gravity the way Sheik's chain and Link's hookshot do.

If Zamus were "a near identical clone of Shiek" as the thread starter suggests, and that her whip acts that same way Sheik's chain does in Melee (as suggested by "She has the gun/whip just like Shiek's ninja stars and whip"), that would mean her laser whip would be effected by Gravity and fall to the ground like Sheik's chain does. You yourself practically proved that wouldn't be the case.

Different types of matter react differently in Smash; it's a fact. Smash takes liberty with real-world physics—it doesn't just throw ALL the rules out the window. Otherwise all the characters would be walking on water, throwing their own heads at people and then growing new ones. If SOME level of realism didn't keep them from doing so, why wouldn't they?

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
The best way i see sheik being in brawl, is as a separate character.. with her respectively slot in the select screen.

She just dont fit with zelda anymore

Aeramis

Smash Ace
I think Shiek will return. Zelda TP form or not doesn't matter. If you saw Zelda use Den's Fire in the 15 second video from E3 then you can bet she will have the same B moves. Plus the people working on the game are people that play Smash Brothers Melee alot, so you can bet they don't want to see Shiek get cut either.

I don't think Zamus will have Shiek's moves but I do think they will give Zamus faster attacks with lower damage and less knockback or different knockback style then Samus which isn't bad at all. Alot of the time speed is better then power for normal attacks. I think her B moves will be alot different or weaker from Zamus. No more blast. No more missiles. No more bombs for floatly recovery and mindgames. No more long range grapple which could be good cause it was slow as hell in melee. So who knows but it does sound interesting.

nuro

Smash Lord
Similiar characters having widely different priority and hit physics is nothing new or unusual in Smash Bros. Just look at Mario and Dr. Mario, Roy and Marth, Captain Falcon and Gannondorf, Fox and Falco, etc. You're the one looking like you've got no Smash experience with an argument like that.
You dont know what your talking about. You just supported what I was saying.

The bottom line is that at this point we really do not know how she's going to work. She may be a Sheik clone in the tradition of SSBM-style clones, or she may play entirely different. We don't know, we can only speculate. But applying real-world phsyics and even past video game performance is not really a solid argument. They've taken plenty of liberties with all of the existing characters in Brawl, Melee, and the original, so it wouldn't be out of line for them to continue that trend now.
You do have eyes right? Can't you see their moves are very different? Seriously just look.

I bolded my favorite part there. So, in your opinion, Sheik is balanced because the other two characters that, along with him, make up the best three characters in the game have a shot at winning?
The begging of the sentence makes sense but the end of it doesn't. What are you saying? Only those 3 characters are good? Of course not your forgetting plenty of top tier characters. Why would I say a bowser could beat a sheik if I thought that? I was just making a point from both sides of the argument. But what I don't think you understand is that you win because of your own skills, not because you picked a better character.

mrbrightside

Smash Cadet
Zamus won't be a clone of Shiek. Nintendo is aware of how broken Shiek was in Melee....and secondly I posted some good ideas (imo, heh) over on the No Items=/= No Zamus thread towards the top of the page...check em out they might give you brainiacs some ideas to work around. :p

Gaudion

Smash Apprentice
You only further help my point by bringing up Samus' grappling beam. It works exactly the way it should. When she uses it, it comes straight out and back in, unless it actually grabs someone. In that case, when she throws them, it flails around because it's been disrupted. It doesn't get effected by gravity the way Sheik's chain and Link's hookshot do.

If Zamus were "a near identical clone of Shiek" as the thread starter suggests, and that her whip acts that same way Sheik's chain does in Melee (as suggested by "She has the gun/whip just like Shiek's ninja stars and whip"), that would mean her laser whip would be effected by Gravity and fall to the ground like Sheik's chain does. You yourself practically proved that wouldn't be the case.
Go turn on your Cube, put in SSBM, and go into training with Samus. Use her Grapple Beam and watch it. I mean, actually watch it. It's not a point-to-point beam that comes out and then back or disappears during use like it does in Super Metroid. She whips it around like it's a... well... whip... before she slings it forward in an attempt to grab the opponent.

Different types of matter react differently in Smash; it's a fact. Smash takes liberty with real-world physics—it doesn't just throw ALL the rules out the window. Otherwise all the characters would be walking on water, throwing their own heads at people and then growing new ones. If SOME level of realism didn't keep them from doing so, why wouldn't they?
Smash does not use any real-world physics. It uses video game physics that may mimic, at their base form, real-world physics like gravity, but even those are taken liberty with. If gravity were strictly adhered to, Mario wouldn't be able to jump more than a couple inches off the ground, there'd be no double-jump, and I don't care how hard you punch someone, they are not going to go flying like a rocket for a couple yards.

Can we please get off this argument already? Wether or not Zero Suit Samus ends up being a Sheik clone is going to be entirely up to wether or not Sakurai desides to design her that way. I guarantee you he's not going to base that decision off of any kind of applied physics or laser technology.

The begging of the sentence makes sense but the end of it doesn't. What are you saying? Only those 3 characters are good? Of course not your forgetting plenty of top tier characters.
Don't put words into my mouth. Shiek, Marth, and Fox are the top tier. Those three are widely and without question considered the best three characters in the game. This is so well established I can't believe you would even try to argue it.

Why would I say a bowser could beat a sheik if I thought that? I was just making a point from both sides of the argument. But what I don't think you understand is that you win because of your own skills, not because you picked a better character.
I don't know why you're saying anything you're thinking. As far as I'm concerned you don't have a clue what you're talking about, but I'm going to go ahead and finish this out regardless.

What you're spewing here is what I like to call "idealism". I'm sure you and thousands of other people would love to believe that skill > character selection and that that is the end of it, but it's simply not true. If that were true, then we would see more Bowsers beating Sheiks. We'd see more than hordes of Sheiks, Marths, and Foxes at every tournament with the occasional Ganondorf and Samus thrown in. We'd see people winning tournaments with Bowsers or Kirbys or Pikachus instead of a steady stream of Sheik, Marth, and Fox.

Skill is important. You can't remove that from the equation and still expect to win. But what character you decide to play with can go a long way in deciding how much of a chance you have at winning. Certain characters are inherently superior to others, and thus, much easier to win with. That's just... I mean... You can't argue that. At all. It's that way in every single fighting game that's ever been made.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Go turn on your Cube, put in SSBM, and go into training with Samus. Use her Grapple Beam and watch it. I mean, actually watch it. It's not a point-to-point beam that comes out and then back or disappears during use like it does in Super Metroid. She whips it around like it's a... well... whip... before she slings it forward in an attempt to grab the opponent.
This is all true, but my point was that it isn't effected by gravity. Like I said before, it does move when she throws people (and as you've pointed out, even when she's first using it, it comes out jagged), but it still doesn't fall to the floor like a normal, limp solid would.

I don't know this for a fact, but I would imagine that Zamus' whip would follow this logic more than it would Sheik's chain. I see her whip being used more like, Ness' bat (in terms of usage, not what kind of physics control it). One of her attacks causes her to whip out her....well, whip, and put the ouch on someone, then it immediately recedes back into her gun. even if it's not used exactly the way I just described, the odds of it being used the way Sheik uses her chain seems slim to me. It just ISN'T the same kind of weapon.

In the grand scheme of things, none of this "whip physics" crap means much anyway, because my whole point for mentioning it was to counter the Zamus-is-the-new-Sheik argument. Which, I think, stands pretty firm without the whip debate anyway.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
Just because some of Zamus's attacks are similar to Sheik's doesn't mean shes a clone or anything. I mean... Ness and DK share similar up air and down air attacks, would you consider them to be the same?

If Zelda is improved I can see them getting rid of Sheik. But Sheik returning with a TP type look would be really cool, so it would be worth having her back. Of course if Sheik is gone they can pass out some of her better attacks to other characters that might need them.

blueriku

Smash Journeyman
anyone think since samus's transformation requires a final smash that they may do the same to zelda/sheik (honestly i just want to see sheik in it already the suspense is killing me!!!)
anyways i rather think zsamus will be although similar to sheik she will have a great contrast to sheik as well zsamus might use her whip more in her style of fighting unlike shiek as for her pistol mode i dont think it will be in anyway like shieks needles maybe between her cannon and foxes laser

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I tried to edit my post to add this to it, but it's not working. So now that other people have posted, I'll just post this normally....

@Gaudion
I didn't notice that one of your other quotes was me. So here's my response to that:

Smash does not use any real-world physics. It uses video game physics that may mimic, at their base form, real-world physics like gravity, but even those are taken liberty with. If gravity were strictly adhered to, Mario wouldn't be able to jump more than a couple inches off the ground, there'd be no double-jump, and I don't care how hard you punch someone, they are not going to go flying like a rocket for a couple yards.

Can we please get off this argument already? Wether or not Zero Suit Samus ends up being a Sheik clone is going to be entirely up to wether or not Sakurai desides to design her that way. I guarantee you he's not going to base that decision off of any kind of applied physics or laser technology.
I would LOVE to be done with this argument, but you seem hell bent on continuing to argue with me about it. Despite the fact that we both seem to be saying the same things to each other, just looking at them all differently.

Yes. I KNOW it's all video game physics. I NEVER said that 100% real physics should be used in the game. Hell, if that were true, the very laser whip we're talking about here wouldn't even be able to exist. Smash takes HUGE liberties with real physics; I've said that at least 2 or 3 times already. But you yourself said that video game physics are based, at least loosely, on real physics.

Weird ectoplasmwhatever grapple beam that Samus herself uses = not affected by gravity
chain whip that Sheik uses = is affected by gravity, thus can work the way that it does in Melee

Which one do you think Zamus' whip would be closer to?

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
Just because some of Zamus's attacks are similar to Sheik's doesn't mean shes a clone or anything. I mean... Ness and DK share similar up air and down air attacks, would you consider them to be the same?
Exactly.

Zamus did a move that resembled an attack out of Shiek's arsenal. So? Assuming Zamus will play exactly like Shiek did in Melee is like saying Snake will replace Capt. Falcon because they're both muscular men. It's absurd, really. However, I'll say that Zamus has replaced Sheik as the flexible blond girl in spandex clothing. That's about it when comparing the two.

I don't think Shiek should make a return in Brawl, but that's just me.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
IMO the B moves differ but the A moves look the same. Also Zamus cant be like Shiek if you cant choose her from the start, but did Sakurai ever say you couldn't choose Zamus from the start? I know he said "under certain conditions" and has now clarified that samus turns into Zamus after using her final smash. Is there conclusive evidence that Zamus wont be able to be selected from the screen?

Edit: @spitfire: shiek wont be in brawl.

teh_nuke

Smash Cadet
Don't put words into my mouth. Shiek, Marth, and Fox are the top tier. Those three are widely and without question considered the best three characters in the game. This is so well established I can't believe you would even try to argue it.
again, you are proving your lack of game knowledge.
Falco and Fox are the top tier. Those two are widely and without question considered the best two characters in the game. This is so well established I can't believe you would even try to argue it.
Sheik, Marth, and Peach are the high tier. Those 3 as a group are widely and without question considered the second best group of characters in the game. This is also so well established I can't believe you would even try to argue it.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
The tier list is for popularity.

Usually the popular characters are the better ones, but that's not always true in all cases.

I mean.... Jigglypuff is higher than Ganondorf on the list, you want to try to argue that Ganon is weaker than Jiggs? Putting all faith in a list of characters is a pretty bad way to decide who is good and who you want to use.

Gaudion

Smash Apprentice
I would LOVE to be done with this argument, but you seem hell bent on continuing to argue with me about it. Despite the fact that we both seem to be saying the same things to each other, just looking at them all differently.

Yes. I KNOW it's all video game physics. I NEVER said that 100% real physics should be used in the game. Hell, if that were true, the very laser whip we're talking about here wouldn't even be able to exist. Smash takes HUGE liberties with real physics; I've said that at least 2 or 3 times already. But you yourself said that video game physics are based, at least loosely, on real physics.

Weird ectoplasmwhatever grapple beam that Samus herself uses = not affected by gravity
chain whip that Sheik uses = is affected by gravity, thus can work the way that it does in Melee

Which one do you think Zamus' whip would be closer to?
Which one do I think it would be closer to? Whichever one Sakurai decides it will be. Which, if she's going to turn out to be a Sheik clone (or replacement), can very easily be Sheik's chain whip.

The reason I'm "hell bent" on arguing this point with you is that you seem to be under the misguided impression that Zamus' whip, in exclusion to all other aspects of the game, is for some reason going to strictly adhere to the laws of physics, and thus can't be like Sheik's chain whip, and thus Zamus can't be like Sheik. And I'm saying that the argument just doesn't hold water. You've said yourself that real-world physics don't apply, but then you do a complete 180 and base your entire reasoning on an application of real-world physics.

I mean.... Jigglypuff is higher than Ganondorf on the list, you want to try to argue that Ganon is weaker than Jiggs? Putting all faith in a list of characters is a pretty bad way to decide who is good and who you want to use.
No, I don't put much faith in a list at all. What I do put faith in is what I see. And what I see is a never-ending parade of Marths, Sheiks, and Foxes dominating tourneys. I see most of the best players (or at least those most widely recognized as the best players) maining a Sheik, Marth, or Fox, and even if they don't, they still usually pick one of those three when push comes to shove. I mean... where have you guys been these past few years? How could you not have noticed this?

This is not some huge coincidence or a world wide conspiracy to phase out less popular characters. It's power gaming. It's playing to win. And it's not that hard to figure out. When it comes down to it, it's just an obvious choice of raw stats and proven effectiveness. Nothing more, nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom