• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
I hope she returns in SSB4. She's my main in Brawl, and even though it shows her using her Zero Laser final smash in trailers, actual footage of Zero Suit remains to be seen.

Do you think she'll return?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't see why she wouldn't.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, she'll definitely return, she's probably just not far enough in development for them to show her in the trailer. Rest assured she'll be back.

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Great speculation! Thanks, Wariofan1.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Sakurai's probably just waiting to do a reveal on the site. Since he's got a lot of space to fill between now and the release of the game, he's gonna need as many updates as possible.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
I just really really hope she is her own space on the roster, or at least be abel to choose her from the get go like sheik, i know you can by holding R, but it almost feels as if she is hidden

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Agreed, moneyfrenzy. At least in tournaments she could be selected with the C stick. And that's a good point, ToothiestAura. I remembered following DOJO!! and how excited it was. These daily updates are fun, too (albeit not as detailed).

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well, the new site may get more detailed updates. It seems like that there will be a few more videos since there's a "movie list" button - this site may be forgoing the written descriptions of the Dojo and push more toward video descriptions like they've shown with Wii Fit Trainer and Megaman.

In any case I would also like an easier way to select Zamus - I almost never get her through random.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I'd prefer they make it a straight transformation, maybe make it a taunt so as not to remove her other moves, and give Zero Suit a decent FSmash... doubt it'll happen, but that'd be far preferred to separating the character for me.

EpicDark

Smash Rookie
NNID
EpicDark
I've heard rumors that there will be less characters in this game than in brawl, which is a disappointment. I hope Zero suit gets a final smash that can KO, but still turns her back into samus. Or maybe get rid of the morph ball bomb, and make it like the zelda/shiek transition?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
They're not going to get rid of the morph ball, it's a really important part of Samus' arsenal, and it's near criminally under represented in smash; it's gotta stay.

That's why I say as a (one) taunt would be best.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
I REALLY want Samus and ZSS to be separate characters. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I always hated being forced to play as ZSS after performing the Zero Laser, which is awesome. Besides, ZZS needs a better Final Smash. Putting her clothes, where you have to be at short range to kill at moderately high damage seems a bit lacking.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I want Zamus to always ask a dominant male if she can perform an attack before she performs the move even if her life is in jeopardy.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Someone just had to take it that far huh?

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
if they got rid of the morph ball, then when you change in to zss, you wont have the flip kick.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've heard rumors that there will be less characters in this game than in brawl, which is a disappointment. I hope Zero suit gets a final smash that can KO, but still turns her back into samus. Or maybe get rid of the morph ball bomb, and make it like the zelda/shiek transition?

Don't worry, those rumors are unsubstantiated.

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
Sakurai said that he wanted t have as many characters with diverse playstyles as possible. ZSS had a really unique stle to her, so I don't see why she wouldn't return.

Falco, on the other hand...

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I always preferred to play as Zero Suit Samus rather than Samus in her power suit. Although I don't really like how you have to play as one or the other when you use your final smash, so I think it would be cool if you can switch to either using a taunt button or something.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
That's like saying make 1 ice climber, or make Ivysaur stand on hind legs and punch people; yeah it would be easier, but Samus and ZSS are the same person. It's an intrinsic part of ZSS that she's Samus, and it's an intrinsic part of Samus that she can (and normally does) wear her power suit.

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
That's like saying make 1 ice climber, or make Ivysaur stand on hind legs and punch people; yeah it would be easier, but Samus and ZSS are the same person. It's an intrinsic part of ZSS that she's Samus, and it's an intrinsic part of Samus that she can (and normally does) wear her power suit.
I couldn't agree more!

EDIT: I understand that some people don't like to play as Samus but prefer ZZS (And Vis Versa). So I wouldn't totally reject the idea of a new way of switching between them, but separation entirely seems like too much.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Those examples do not match up. Samus is Samus in her power suit and Zamus is Samus without her suit. The comparison is more in sync with Mario being Mario and Doctor Mario being Mario in a Doctor suit.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
You miss my point sir, I'm talking about what defines the character, not simply the choice of clothing. Dr. Mario is not an important part of Mario's character, it's a spin off game that's only got Mario's face on it for marketing purposes. Samus being a woman underneath her power suit is an important part of her character (thus it being highlighted from day one of the series), as important as Nana is to Popo's character, or Ivysaur being a quadruped.

In the metroid games Zero Suit Samus' mission is pretty much to get her power suit back, and regular Samus strips it off when you get a good rank on missions, they are defined (at least partially) by the other; to put Mario and Dr. Mario on the same line of mutual importance would require Mario's mission to be getting a P.h.D (not saving a princess) and Dr. Mario putting on overalls if you beat the highest level...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
You miss my point sir, I'm talking about what defines the character, not simply the choice of clothing. Dr. Mario is not an important part of Mario's character, it's a spin off game that's only got Mario's face on it for marketing purposes. Samus being a woman underneath her power suit is an important part of her character (thus it being highlighted from day one of the series), as important as Nana is to Popo's character, or Ivysaur being a quadruped.

In the metroid games Zero Suit Samus' mission is pretty much to get her power suit back, and regular Samus strips it off when you get a good rank on missions, they are defined (at least partially) by the other; to put Mario and Dr. Mario on the same line of mutual importance would require Mario's mission to be getting a P.h.D (not saving a princess) and Dr. Mario putting on overalls if you beat the highest level...
Hmmm. You can pick Zamus on the roster screen by holding an input of buttons while picking Samus. This is already a degree of separation.

So, in order to understand your position a little further:

1. Do you want them to still be connected through a Final Smash?
2. Do you want Zamus to be able to be picked from the roster by holding an input of buttons while picking Samus? And if so, do you want her armor to fall off as items?
3. Are you completely against Zamus as a separate box on the roster?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
1. Preferably not, I'd prefer the transformation to be 2 way via a taunt. The limitation that Samus mains have to play ZSS until they get a smash ball is dumb.

2. Again, preferably not, I'd prefer it to act like Zelda/Sheik and with her own ZSS intro so no armour drop offs, though the armour drop offs are acceptable, and input is better than not being able to choose her at all.

3. Yes, she's Samus, and should be part of the Samus box.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ah. Alright.

I am not sure what Sakurai is going to do with her. He seems to like his gimmicks. I do not think he would go the Zelda route. I think either:
1. Zamus will remain a Final Smash gimmick with an input option on the roster screen
2. Not be tied to the Final Smash and only selectable with an input on the roster screen
3. Zamus will not be tied to the Final Smash and be selectable on the roster with her own box

I am banking on either 1 or 3, but I do respect your opinion which is more true to the series.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I hope at least she gets her own character slot. That ill be fine with.

Smash ball transformations or taunts or a new special is fine by me.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Other M shows that turning the suit on and off is at-will and almost instantaneous. I'd like it if ZSS got the same access Zelda gets to Sheik for that reason. Hopefully we can get something more simple for input as well, like simply taunting while shielding.

I like the Samus / Zero Suit Samus works now. But, I thought it would be cool if when Samus breaks her shield, there is a little blast from the armor that does a little damage and knocks sends the enemy away, then she turns into Zero Suit Samus, but the downside is your armor blew up so you don't get the armor pieces. It's essentially a get out of jail free card if you get shield broken, but forces you to use another character.

If you want to change her back, you have to use her smash taunt twice, and they are quite long, so you would have to possibly get a star ko to complete it in time. After that, the this two rings show up and go up and down samus as she is glowing (Kinda like how she would glow during transformation) and from under the brightness you would see her stand strait up facing the camera sparking with electricity kind of how when you continue in Super Metroid and she faces the camera. This leaves her open for a while just like going from Samus to Zero suit.

And as a Bonus, like in her game, she can stay idle like that as long as you want as long as you choose not to move her.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
That sounds friggin' awesome and make a lot of sense; now I want this to happen, though I think maybe getting Samus' Suit back should be a little quicker than you're suggesting, 'cos else you'll never be able to pull it off in FFA.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Well, in the tournament scene, smash balls aren't going to be floating around, so it would be nice to be able to switch between Samus/ZSS. I do like what else has been said about selecting Samus/ZSS like one could with Zelda/Sheik. Perhaps one will be able to press a new button not on previous controllers to switch between the two.

My brother, Uffe, mentioned to me that he'd like it if Samus' armor doesn't fall off like in SSBB, but simply disappears as it does in MOM.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Well, in the tournament scene, smash balls aren't going to be floating around, so it would be nice to be able to switch between Samus/ZSS. I do like what else has been said about selecting Samus/ZSS like one could with Zelda/Sheik. Perhaps one will be able to press a new button not on previous controllers to switch between the two.

My brother, Uffe, mentioned to me that he'd like it if Samus' armor doesn't fall off like in SSBB, but simply disappears as it does in MOM.

I really prefer it falling off in chunks instead of weirdly evaporating. I get that the technology inherently breaks the laws of physics (morph ball), but having it break away makes it a lot more visceral.

Also, screw M:OM. :p

I really don't want their characters to be able to switch between one another at ease mid-match. If they do that, then they have to balance the characters against each other, and we all know how well that's worked out (Zelda/Sheik).

They do need to make ZSS selectable from the character screen, though. And "Random" needs to be select her sometimes.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Other M sucks, but a lot of the changes could help Samus in smash, quicker movement for instance, and if it takes a bad game for Smash Samus to be decent I wouldn't mind it quite as much anymore.

And while I see your point about Zelda/Sheik that's a matter of bad balancing, not an inherent problem with switch characters. Not to say it should be easy to switch (atleast ZSS to PSS should take a few seconds and be punishable if used at the wrong time), but the smash ball dealy means PSS don't want to pick up the smash ball, which is dumb. The taunt switch idea already takes a few seconds, meaning you want to KO or at least hit hard before you do it, and if you made it such that if Samus is hit in this period her armour falls off making it important to do for Samus players, but something you have to plan for.

Ultimately PSS needs a huge buff anyways, so your 'balance between each other' is kinda redundant at this point, 'cos Samus needs to be balanced at all first.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
The thing that annoys me about the M:OM version of the Zero Suit, other than the high heels and ass pads to show off her assets, is that how she activates the Power Suit seems like the Zero Suit itself is the Power Suit. Almost as if the Power Suit isn't actually apart of Samus like in the manga or some of the games. It seems like Sakamoto is constantly switching it around just to troll us. I'd prefer it being like it is in Zero Mission. You don't have access to the suit's powers, yet Samus is still able to use what energy tanks she has collected thus far. Making the Zero Suit the lowest level of defense offered by the Power Suit. Would make sense why she wears it when on a GF flagship or something and is off duty. That's just another reason Brawl Samus pisses me off, because the Power Suit acts weird. Why does the Power Suit just fall off after using the Zero Laser?! The suit didn't seem to instantly vaporize after getting hit by Mother Brain's Hyper Beam at the end of Super Metroid. How in the HEYAL! did the villains remove Samus' Power Suit in the first place?! It's apart of her right?! At the very least the Zero Suit itself is the Power Suit so she should have it anyway. Well, there's my fanboy rage of the day, sorry about that XD

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Sakurai is not much into keeping canon, especially Metroid in general. Hence why we have Ridley magically becoming Meta Ridley in like less than an hour.

I don't mind the mechanic as far as tying both ZSS and PSS together as the same character, though I do think it was poorly implemented in Brawl.

1) There should be an option to select ZSS on the menu. (while I don't mind the "hold shield" method there is currently, it feels...unprofessional I guess to have her spawn with the suit pieces rather than her having a unique entrance like every other character. Same thing with Sheik to a lesser extent). That all said, I don't mind them sharing the same select icon, but maybe make it like the Subspace Emissary where you can change with forme you start with.
2) Stay as whichever forme you currently are after using the Final Smash (and ZSS needs a better one, obviously). Not to say there shouldn't be an option to transform (I for one love playing as both), but as stated by everyone above it feels really stupid being at a disadvantage when you don't want to transform but picked up a Smash Ball and can't use B anymore. Maybe make it so if you hold shield while using your Final Smash, you transform.
3) A quicker way to transform. It doesn't matter to me if it's the Taunt transformation from Brawl, but sped up, personally. I just would be much more comfortable being able to do something other than a 1-way transformation that is almost guaranteed to get myself killed in the time it takes to finish.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If anything too, I would like ZSS to have a final smash that actually relates to her abilities rather than just having the suit put back on. Like how Mario's FS is his fireballs on steroids, do something similar with her whip thing as a FS, or something.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I remember with the original leaked screenshots of the game, it was thought her Final Smash was the Crystal Flash. I'd love that, personally.

If they do go with the Power Suit Samus type FS again, I at least hope they buff the crap out of it.
Make it heal her, give next to no transformation lag, have more range/of a gravitational pull effect, have way more knockback, etc.

Top Bottom