• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero knows what he's fighting for! Let's get this Maverick Hunter fighting for SMASH!!

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
Is it time? Is Zero going to make it in Super Smash Bros?! Only our ballot votes backed by reasoning can make it happen!

I personally love Zero from playing the Mega Man X and Mega Man Zero games, but I also think he would truly be an amazing, combative, and very unique character for Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS. I was never fond of playing MvC or the like, but Smash Bros has always been an amazingly fun and competitive game. So what are we waiting for? Let's get him in SMASH!!

Let's introduce the powerful reploid from the Mega Man series, Zero!

Back-story and so forth
If you know Zero, move along. If not, decent summary below.
For those who do not know of this character, Zero is one of the very first of highly advanced robots with a human-like AI (known as reploids), and originally was a character created for EVIL!! He was created by Mega Man's nemesis, Dr. Wily, in hopes of finally destroying the Blue Bomber. Zero was discovered in the era of the Mega Man X series, and was awakened by a group of reploids known as the Maverick Hunters. In doing so, Zero went into a manic frenzy and destroyed the entire group The powerful leader of the Maverick Hunters, Sigma, inspected the incident himself. When he did, he was brought to the brink of death by the chaotic red reploid, and was facing certain demise, until Zero experienced a bizarre malfunction, atributed to the Maverick Virus inside of Zero's mind, and gave an opening for Sigma to defeat Zero. By shattering his head lens, the Maverick Virus was unknowingly leaked unto Sigma, while Zero was cleansed himself. Shortly after, Sigma experiences bouts of insanity and rage, and becomes a Maverick himself, while Zero is assigned as a Rank SA Maverick Hunter (the highest rank aside from the leader). After, this the Mega Man X series begins, as X and Zero fight for humans and reploid kind, keeping peace and destroying Mavericks like Sigma.

"So why should we add another swordsman to the roster? Too many already, right?!"
It might be some people's thoughts that Zero would be "just another swordsman", and not add a whole lot of versatility to an already versatile character-pool. However, this is not quite the case. Zero is not just a skilled swordsman, but a powerful and unique reploid, with many tools, weapons and skills at his disposal. Not only does he don his Saber, but Zero also wields a built-in arm cannon, known as the Z-Buster, which shoots very powerful blasts of energy. Along with this, Zero learns many Special Techniques that he learns from defeated enemies, very similar to Mega Man himself. In short, he offers much more than other swordsman, in terms of ability and weaponry.

Zero is an agile and bulky reploid
Being fairly similar in design to Mega Man, both structurally and stylistically in the games, it makes sense for Zero to be fairly floaty and easy to alter direction in the air. As for his ground game, the major thing that would set him apart from Mega Man's mobility is his dash ability; this would make his running animation slightly faster. His weight ideally would be similar to Mega Man's, but slightly heavier; I imagine having a weight around Samus', give or take.

Zero is a powerful swordsman that wields the light and powerful energy blade, the Z-Saber!
The bulk of his basic and primary attacks are reliant on his beam sword, the Z-Saber. Quick to the draw, this sword is unique in that it does not have a fixed length, but rather extends and retracts based upon Zero's power output. In terms of Smash Bros, this makes his style unique, as certain Saber attacks will be shorter, while others will be longer. Not only is the length prone to change, but the curvature of the Saber itself when swung changes as well, making some attacks have a larger hitbox than others. All in all, the Z-Saber is a unique weapon that is set apart from other swords.

Zero's arsenal is not limited to basic swordsman skills, but diverse and filled with Special Techniques!
While his basic Saber skills would be the primary bulk of his normal A-attacks, Zero has a wide variety of Special Techniques and other powerful skills at his disposal as well, setting him further apart from the traditional Smash Bros swordsman movesets. From powerful elemental attacks like Ryuuenjin and Raijingeki, to projectile attacks like Hadangeki and the Z-Buster, Zero can show off a pretty wide variety of entertaining and deadly attacks.
The ever so powerful Ryuuenjin! A quick, fiery rising slash that is sure to interupt your opponent's advance, and deal some nice damage.

Hyouretsuzan, a slow, but deadly downward icicle thrust, dealing heavy damage to those below.

Shippuuga, a powerful and quick Dash Attack, able to invade your opponent's space and gives Zero a setup for combos!

Kuuenzan, the spinning aerial slash attack, cutting enemies from all sides! A nice, reliable aerial attack.

Sentsuizan, a fast and aggressive downward strike. Would likely suit well as a Down-B, similar to Bowser's Down-B.

Raijingeki! The very powerful, high damaging thunder stab, would make for a nasty Forward-Smash

As for projectile attacks, Zero has two very iconic weapons. The first being his arm cannon, the Z-Buster, which shoots powerful energy blasts, and the second being Hadangeki, a powerful wave-slash that is launched from Zero's Saber. These attacks are great by themselves, and especially useful when chained together, as shown in this animation:

Earth Crush, a powerful ground smash that breaks the earth apart!

And of course, viable and very entertaining options for his final smashes...

REKKOUHA!
Or, the massively powerful wave slash...

GENMU ZERO!!

So what would be Zero's strengths? How about his weaknesses?
Here's what I think is an accurate and logical description of his strengths and weaknesses:
Pros:
o Quick and smooth attack execution and transition
o Able to pull of many successful attack combinations
o Multiple attacks would have great reach
o Utilizes great ranged projectile attacks in tandem with melee attacks
o Fast and agile ground movement
o Great air mobility and maneuverability

Cons:
o Most attacks would have low damage output
o Multiple moves would have a punishing end-lag, leaving Zero vulnerable
o Fewer reliably powerful KO moves than other characters of similar weight

He seems like he could be a balanced character, while having both welcoming strengths and cautionary weaknesses. Zero can quickly pull together a string of attack combinations if placed correctly; albeit low damage for individual attacks, multiple attacks stack up damage quickly! But don't get sloppy, as a poorly placed attack will leave Zero open for certain doom. Even at high percentages, it may be difficult to land KO's easily, but don't give up! Keep the pressure high, and the opportunity will arise!

Is that it for Zero?
Seems like it, I hope I didn't leave anything out!!

All in all, I wholeheartedly believe Zero would be a fantastic character to play as in Smash Bros. I think he would be a very fun and entertaining character to play with, his move-set fresh and unique, the ability to have various Custom Specials at his disposal, and being something different than what Smash Bros currently has. As for being a competitive player, Zero definitely takes the cake, while the novice player might have trouble getting used to Zero in competitive play, seasoned players will welcome this unique and powerful character with open arms.

So what are we waiting for? Let's get Zero into SMASH!!!

Last edited:

udime123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3497-1825-3744
I like this thread, though I have to admit it's funny that I've seen so many other thread with the "What am I fighting for?" joke. Still, this one is my favorite.

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
Haha true true :p I mainly chose that title because it's catchy with people. But if a better title name comes along, I'll happily change it! I really wanted to make a Zero support thread that had some substance to it, so I hope this one actually gets people joining in!

Zero is by far my most desired character to be in Smash Bros, and I truly do think he would be an outstanding addition. Sakurai and his developers could make Zero a very well done character, and I would love to see what they envision, and actually play as Zero!

DSP3333

Smash Rookie
It would be really nice if they'd add him. And I think Zero should be able to dash in the air. (Run while jumping) My favorite character is Geo from Star Force, but Zero's also one of my top 5. In fact, mega man games are my favorites.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
If Zero makes it to Smash 4 I don't even know how I will react. Dude is one of my favorite characters of all time and I absolutely love Megaman X. However, I'm pretty sure Sakurai stated that only one character from a third party franchise will be allowed, so Zero is ehh... :\

If Zero gets in Smash though, expect me to main him in a heartbeat. :3

Last edited:

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
I'm not sure if he specifically stated that or not.. can anyone confirm it?

I know the Facebook post by Nintendo stated "which Nintendo character do you want.." but on the actual Ballot website it simply states "your favorite video-game character." So I see a ray of hope! I think the reasoning is the most important part, quality over quantity; just because a million people want Shrek or Ridley doesn't mean either will get in lol. So if you truly want him in, make a good reason for his being in Smash and vote him up!

And same here man, he would instantly be my main, for fun and competition ^_^

udime123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3497-1825-3744
That's agood point, if it was only about the votes, he wouldn't be asking our reasoning.

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
That's agood point, if it was only about the votes, he wouldn't be asking our reasoning.
Exactly, I believe that's what gives a very well thought out a good chance for having a character in, rather than massive amounts of any vote. I really think we can do it :)

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
hehe this and the Ryu thread made me want to join the forums hehe.
My main thought on Zero is that while a Megaman X version would be neat, it would make alot more sense to see the Megaman zero series version of him appear instead.
I mean thats his entire series on GBA, then rereleased on DS, and even given sequals with 'omega' as a secret boss and form in both megaman ZX games. As for a move set well the only things id wonder is if they focus on his many sword arts like you posted above, or if they use the Zero series, maybe arts based on his many different weapons.
either way he would and will be fun to play there is no doubt there XD.

Granted it was X era Zero who appeared in PROJECT X zone so X series might still work. I mean heck project X zone alone makes alot of cross overs and characters for smash Sudden viable, specially from fighting games.

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
If Zero makes it to Smash 4 I don't even know how I will react. Dude is one of my favorite characters of all time and I absolutely love Megaman X. However, I'm pretty sure Sakurai stated that only one character from a third party franchise will be allowed, so Zero is ehh... :\

If Zero gets in Smash though, expect me to main him in a heartbeat. :3
This brings up a very interesting point however. With the recent release of the new costumes for the miis, the megaman x series was distinguished from the megaman series. This is very interesting to me. Also IMO the inclusion of these costumes, and megaman, and now possibly Ryu, points to Nintendo testing the waters with Capcom. If there were to be a third character for sm4sh from Capcom possibly following some kind of partnership agreement, there wont be many to contest with zero.

In all honesty though, I just want zero in.

Also forgot to mention that in regards to which zero would show up, it seems unlikely that anything other than late X zero would be chosen. Since he would be appearing as a retro character, not being in any up coming titles :(, his most iconic model would be used, aka the trophy model.

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
This brings up a very interesting point however. With the recent release of the new costumes for the miis, the megaman x series was distinguished from the megaman series. This is very interesting to me. Also IMO the inclusion of these costumes, and megaman, and now possibly Ryu, points to Nintendo testing the waters with Capcom. If there were to be a third character for sm4sh from Capcom possibly following some kind of partnership agreement, there wont be many to contest with zero.

In all honesty though, I just want zero in.

Also forgot to mention that in regards to which zero would show up, it seems unlikely that anything other than late X zero would be chosen. Since he would be appearing as a retro character, not being in any up coming titles :(, his most iconic model would be used, aka the trophy model.
More stuff I forgot:
Buster cancels like what was present in MvC3 would be amazing.
Air dashing would make for an interesting mechanic.
A Rakuhouha style down b would make for a unique special with easy custom move possibilities.
Heat haze/twin dream would be fun.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
@ redcometchar redcometchar Honestly it may be from my lack of experience from the Megaman Zero series (only played the first one) but I love the Zero from Megaman X regardless. He's a very likable character and I just love him to bits, really have nothing else to say. :p

Zero has a lot of move options tbh, I just hope that DLC characters get custom moves. Zero having something like a Ryuenjin being an up-b option, but also Hienkyaku and Raikousen for custom moves as well. Zero has quite the options with custom moves and IF he somehow got in it would be amazing if he would have custom moves.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Why's Zero look like a stupid fat baby with a metal diaper? I thought he was at least as big as an average teenager.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Oh im so voting for him, his chances are kinda slim doe...Maybe he'll replace megaman. ^^ lmao

@ PsychoJosh PsychoJosh Its the style nowadays. lol idk

but if zero came out in the game like that, i'd want my money back. no offense to le Artist ;)
Zero Should be just like how he looks in MegaManX and his trophy xD

Last edited:

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
@redcometchar

I too thought it was quite interesting and exciting that the only Mii costumes from true video game characters, aside from Link and Dunban, were two iconic characters of Mega Man series. I mean he just fits well as a character too, he presents a lot of playstyle options that are fresh and new, but not overly foreign. Being a swordsman with perks if you will ;)
I've always envisioned him with having his Buster or Buster-Wave slash combo as a neutral B, Hienkyaku as his Side, Ryuenjin as Up-B, and interestingly I've imagined an excellent Down-B as his Sentsuizan! If you think about it, it could work very well like Bowser's Down-B; having him jump up from the ground and slash down at an angle towards opponents, and in the air simply doing that from his current position.

@PsychoJosh & @MOI-ARI

Bahahaha seriously XD I would truly hope he would not look like that!
I think he'll come strutting in like this

I really do think he has a good chance of being in, despite being a non-nintendo character, and like I said, a well crafted ballot could turn the tables; 1,000 well written votes for Zero could definitely trump 100,000 hack-job votes for K. Rool. We can do this! I don't think his chances are that low, even if he is not top popularity, being such a great character with all of his attributes I think he speaks for himself :)

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
@redcometchar

I too thought it was quite interesting and exciting that the only Mii costumes from true video game characters, aside from Link and Dunban, were two iconic characters of Mega Man series. I mean he just fits well as a character too, he presents a lot of playstyle options that are fresh and new, but not overly foreign. Being a swordsman with perks if you will ;)
I've always envisioned him with having his Buster or Buster-Wave slash combo as a neutral B, Hienkyaku as his Side, Ryuenjin as Up-B, and interestingly I've imagined an excellent Down-B as his Sentsuizan! If you think about it, it could work very well like Bowser's Down-B; having him jump up from the ground and slash down at an angle towards opponents, and in the air simply doing that from his current position.

@PsychoJosh & @MOI-ARI

Bahahaha seriously XD I would truly hope he would not look like that!
I think he'll come strutting in like this

I really do think he has a good chance of being in, despite being a non-nintendo character, and like I said, a well crafted ballot could turn the tables; 1,000 well written votes for Zero could definitely trump 100,000 hack-job votes for K. Rool. We can do this! I don't think his chances are that low, even if he is not top popularity, being such a great character with all of his attributes I think he speaks for himself :)
Lets hope you are right. There are tons of options for his moveset but I think designers would have to get creative for up smash and up air. The best options I can think of off of the top of my head would be Shoenzan for up smash and maybe an aerial soul launcher from mmz3 or even a miniature ittouryoudan.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Zero and Tron literally became my first two choices for a second Mega Man rep after X and Proto Man became costumes. And honestly, i can't see Nintendo doing another classic series character outside of Proto Man.

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
Lets hope you are right. There are tons of options for his moveset but I think designers would have to get creative for up smash and up air. The best options I can think of off of the top of my head would be Shoenzan for up smash and maybe an aerial soul launcher from mmz3 or even a miniature ittouryoudan.
I've actually thought of both of those being a version of Ensuizan from X6 ;) seeing as he can perform both on the ground and in the air, not to mention the ground on being more powerful, something like it could work. Image his Up-smash, he does a little hop in the air and spins a few times, not too unlike Sonic's Up-smash His aerial I see as being like Kuuenzan, but faster and less damaging, with a slightly different hitbox. Just a thought. But you're right man, there are so many options that the designers would have to craft Zero's moveset very intricately. They'll pull it off ^_^

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Zero and Tron literally became my first two choices for a second Mega Man rep after X and Proto Man became costumes. And honestly, i can't see Nintendo doing another classic series character outside of Proto Man.
There is always Toad Man! :p
Here is my Zero Moveset
Zero is fast with attacks varying in strength. He is a little on the heavy side, and is average hight.

Ground Attacks
Neutral Attack-Slashes the opponent with his saber, the third hit can hit three times 2%,2%,1%,1%,3%
Dash Attack-Slashes the opponent 8%
Forward Tilt-Slashes with sabre 9%
Up Tilt-Preforms the Electric Blade technique 7%
Down Tilt-Uses his Recoil Rod 6%
Forward Smash-uses the Raigingeki 18%-25%
Up Smash-Slashes overhead 13%-18%
Down Smash-Dows a spin with his saber extended 14%-19%
Aerials
Neutral Aerial-Uses the Crescent Sword technique 7%
Forward Aerial-Slashes the opponent 7%
Back Aerial-Slashes behind him 9%
Up Aerial-Slashes overhead 9%
Down Aerial-Throws an icicle downward 5%
Other
Grab-Uses the Chain Rod. Tether grab.
Pummel-Punches with the Zero Knuckle 12%
Forward Throw-Throws the opponent 4%
Back Throw-Throws the opponent backward then slashes him/her 6%
Up Throw-Throws the opponent upward, then slashes him/her 5%
Down Throw-Throws the opponent to the ground
Floor (Front)-Preforms the Ensuizan technique
Floor (Back)-Preforms the Ensuizan technique
Floor (Trip)- Preforms the Ensuizan Technique
Edge (-100%)-Slashes with the saber while getting up
Specials & Final Smash
Neutral Special-Zero Buster: Fires a plasma shot that can be charged 2%-18%
Custom 1-Burning Shot: Fires a fireball that explodes into eight smaller shots when they hit 14%
Custom 2-Lazer Shot: Fires a laser that hits though reflectors 1%
Side Special-Shippuuga: Zero Dashes and uses this technique 12%
Custom 1-Flaming Shippuuga: Shippuuga deals fire damage 10%
Custom 2-Ice Shippuuga: Shippuuga can freeze foes 8%
Up Special-Ryuenjien: Zero does an uppercut that deals fire damage 11%
Custom 1-Ice Ryuenjien: Ryuenjin can freeze opponents 9%
Custom 2-Thunder Ryuenjin: Ryuenjin deals electric damage 12%
Down Special-Quake Blazer: Zero Preforms a down thrust that creates an explosion on the ground 16%
Custom 1-Shockwave Quake: Shockwaves are produced instead of an explosion 8%
Custom 2-Ice Quake: Ice is sent instead of an explosion 3%
Final Smash-Rekkoha: Arrows rain down from the sky 16% per hit

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
I like that the move set thre seems to add attacks and items from both X and Zero series games. but as much as I like teh X design Zero has, I still gotta go with wanting the Zero outfit instead. Most of the X games were not on nintendo systems after all. So it makes more sense to me that they use the Zero who was only in nintendo games [aside from Onimusha blade warriors.] Id be happy if the X era armor appeared but logically the last X games with that armor where command mission [which gave him a dark winged form to change into] Tatsunoko Vs capcom, and Project X zone. the first showings of the zero form were all talking about where from X 4 right? sure he almost had it in X3, but still most of the X games were playstation ones instead on nintendo games. It seems alot more likely for nintendo to use the version that was most used in thier own games, which would be the Zero series one. [who was in about 6 games, as well as a cross over with another series if I remember right.]

Actually I just remembered a series id been forgettign about.. the extreme games.
X version zero was in megaman Xtreme and Xtreme two [where he was a fully playable character]

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if you all saw the Ryu video as well, but that this thread even more relevant. With a Second Capcom character being introduced to smash, along with the mii costumes for x and protoman, will we see more involvement from Capcom???!?!?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I like that the move set thre seems to add attacks and items from both X and Zero series games. but as much as I like teh X design Zero has, I still gotta go with wanting the Zero outfit instead. Most of the X games were not on nintendo systems after all. So it makes more sense to me that they use the Zero who was only in nintendo games [aside from Onimusha blade warriors.] Id be happy if the X era armor appeared but logically the last X games with that armor where command mission [which gave him a dark winged form to change into] Tatsunoko Vs capcom, and Project X zone. the first showings of the zero form were all talking about where from X 4 right? sure he almost had it in X3, but still most of the X games were playstation ones instead on nintendo games. It seems alot more likely for nintendo to use the version that was most used in thier own games, which would be the Zero series one. [who was in about 6 games, as well as a cross over with another series if I remember right.]

Actually I just remembered a series id been forgettign about.. the extreme games.
X version zero was in megaman Xtreme and Xtreme two [where he was a fully playable character]
If you were talking about mine then thank you! :3 If you weren't then ignore this.

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't use both. They are very similar to each other.
I don't know if you all saw the Ryu video as well, but that this thread even more relevant. With a Second Capcom character being introduced to smash, along with the mii costumes for x and protoman, will we see more involvement from Capcom???!?!?
I hope so. I want some Amaterasu DLC! I think Zero is my second most wanted character after Amaterasu. I support both of them! (even though nether of them are likely)

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
ZERO HAS A SOLID CHANCE OF BEING IN SMASH NOW OH MY GOD I AM SO HYPED.

EDIT: Turns out it's just a Mii Swordfighter outfit and I'm just really sad now. :\

Last edited:

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
mii costumes != closed. look at the inklings thread.

and if it does you will have a place in the deconfirmed group to support him there
yeah about that.. here is my reply sorry if the image is a bit big [taken from google search of the phrase "objection image"

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Zero is a great character and his moveset would be great. I'll vote for him in the ballot and buy his Mii costume to show support. I recommend you all do the same. If the Mii costume gets a lot of sales, there's a chance they'll notice how popular he is.
I know lots of people don't think he's likely because he's Capcom, but that shouldn't matter. The ballot is for fanservice and pretty much any videogame character could get in.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
Zero is a great character and his moveset would be great. I'll vote for him in the ballot and buy his Mii costume to show support. I recommend you all do the same. If the Mii costume gets a lot of sales, there's a chance they'll notice how popular he is.
I know lots of people don't think he's likely because he's Capcom, but that shouldn't matter. The ballot is for fanservice and pretty much any videogame character could get in.
Due to Zero and X both being in the upcoming Project X zone 2 its possible he might be added in to promote that game.
After all characters from VF, Tekken, and SF are also in the game and saw representation in Mii outfits.

D

Deleted member

Guys!, what would happen if ZeRo.......played as Zero!?

D

Deleted member

I should also mention that Zero is one of my favorite characters in gaming. Im not a supporter, but still, Zero's awesome.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Never played the Mega Man games bfore but he looks like an awesome character and he would make a great addition to the Smash roster. It's too bad they made a Mii Fighter outfit based on him.

Last edited:

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
Zero was the character who made megaman games possible for me. It sounds silly, but I grew up playing alot of melee charactes in side scrollers. games like Castlevania and such. Zero made it easier to play Megaman X games and after I got used to playing him I then hopped to X and learned basic megaman game play after that. In a hilarious in hind sight moment it was Megaman and Castlevania game play that made it eaiser to figure out Metroid games.

as for the zero playing as zero comment above. Im guessing that means buttons that let Zero swap weapons with the B buttons being triggers for affects while attacks where all set to A button.
B = Buster Shot
^ B = weapon change
>B = charged Buster
V B = changed Element style

Last edited:
Top Bottom