• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Breaks Down Competitive Stages In Smash 4

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
While there are many jokes about players only choosing Smashville in Smash for Wii U, proper stage selection is a skill that separates the greats from the very best. Smash Invitational invitee and Apex 2015 Smash for Wii U winner Zero knows this well and made a video breaking down some of the commonly legal stages in Smash 4.

Hopefully this can help players learn which stages benefit their characters and playstyles. To see more content from Zero check out his Youtube channel.

SmashCapps wants a sequel with Castle Siege, Skyloft, Wuhu Island, and Pokemon Stadium 2! Follow SmashCapps on Twitter to discuss what other stages you would like to see broken down.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I feel like im the only one who would regularly pick Big Battlefield in a 1v1....

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
"Today I want to talk about a very underrated topic in the Smash 4 Competitive Meleegame"
- Zero 2015

I played that back a few times before realizing what he was actually saying.

Godzillionaire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Crit-Hit
3DS FC
3797-7329-5972
I've been curious about Zero and I'm not exactly sure if this is the correct place to ask, but has anyone here taken him up on the smash lessons he offers? I know he says to email him about any questions but I want to hear from y'all who did it with him. Does he like send you some tips via email or do a couple matches with him or what? Just curious

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
Neutral stages! Neutral stages? Neutral... Stages?

NO

There are starter stages and Counterpick stages. No neutral stages, because every match won't be neutral on say Smashville or something. It's a very misleading term

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I've been curious about Zero and I'm not exactly sure if this is the correct place to ask, but has anyone here taken him up on the smash lessons he offers? I know he says to email him about any questions but I want to hear from y'all who did it with him. Does he like send you some tips via email or do a couple matches with him or what? Just curious
No, he's not doing anything for anyone apparently. I tried emailing him for tips and neither come up.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
apparently it's really pricey :p

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N
"Today I want to talk about a very underrated topic in the Smash 4 Competitive Meleegame"
- Zero 2015

"Metagame"

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
- Zero 2015

He said metagame, it's just his accent that's tripping you LOL

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
He said he was real busy between traveling and moving so he couldn't read a lot of his emails. He said he will have to look them up at a later date.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Neutral stages! Neutral stages? Neutral... Stages?

NO

There are starter stages and Counterpick stages. No neutral stages, because every match won't be neutral on say Smashville or something. It's a very misleading term
'Neutral Stages' and 'Starter Stages' are terms that have been used at different times but mean the same thing. I'm old school, so I use neutral.

NilesSDobbs

Smash Rookie
I have a question regarding Omega Stages: Are they banned or counter-picks? Some threads are saying their former and some are saying the latter.

NilesSDobbs

Smash Rookie
'Neutral Stages' and 'Starter Stages' are terms that have been used at different times but mean the same thing. I'm old school, so I use neutral.
@ TSM ZeRo TSM ZeRo , I need help understanding something because I'm so late into the metagame. Omega Stages: Are they banned or counter-picks? Some threads are saying their former and some are saying the latter. Also, why would they be banned if they are?

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
@ TSM ZeRo TSM ZeRo - Duck Hunt: The horizontal blast zone is not further away from the stage ledge than average (or FD). It feels that way because the magnifying glass is closer to the stage, which can mess with things too, but the horizontal distance between off the screen (magnifying glass) and the blast zone is bigger in duck hunt than other stages.

http://smashboards.com/threads/wii-u-stage-blast-zone-data.395357/

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
It's also perfect for camping. Isn't it?
Just climb the platforms, most projectiles only go horizontally anyways.
Edit: also camping without projectiles isn't easy at all, I doubt it is even viable since you'd get shield pressure under you.

Last edited:

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
"Smashville is the most balanced stage"
"Town and City is bad and should be a counterpick … the platforms are random"
I'M OUT. *exits video* :mad:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I feel big battlefield is the most balanced, it is big enough for characters who need space and has enough platforms for platform based characters.
The huge problem with big battlefield in 1v1, is that you can be in the middle and not die until you're at 250% because of the size of the stage. It's garbage competitively, unless you adjust the timer so that not every single match ends in timeout.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I feel big battlefield is the most balanced, it is big enough for characters who need space and has enough platforms for platform based characters.
When is big battlefield gonna be a doubles stage?

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
While I understand what you mean, it's an irritating distinction. When you say a stage is neutral compared to the counterpicks, you are saying "this stage is innately superior to any counterpick stage." Starter doesn't have those connotations.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Covers some basics, but obviously it can't really go in depth with different characters.

A lot is just inaccurate, though. I've done some research into different characters and their preferred stages, and Link likes Battlefield against other highly projectile characters, and Little Mac likes Town and City in general.

Town and City has a low vertical blast zone, but it also has a thin horizontal blast zone compared to the edge of the stage. Overall, all kills are at lower percents in the stage. It's not "bad," lol. Does prefer vertical kills a little thanks to the platforms, though. Uhh, Duck Hunt appears to have thin horizontal blast zones, but it's just where the camera stops. Really, it's wider than FD.

So yeah. Not a fan of the misinformation, but I agree that stage picking is very important.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
The huge problem with big battlefield in 1v1, is that you can be in the middle and not die until you're at 250% because of the size of the stage. It's garbage competitively, unless you adjust the timer so that not every single match ends in timeout.
I didn't think about the blast zones tbh, I have the 3DS so I don't really play often on big battlefield. But not considering the blast zones it is actually a good stage.

TSM ZeRo

@ TSM ZeRo TSM ZeRo - Duck Hunt: The horizontal blast zone is not further away from the stage ledge than average (or FD). It feels that way because the magnifying glass is closer to the stage, which can mess with things too, but the horizontal distance between off the screen (magnifying glass) and the blast zone is bigger in duck hunt than other stages.

http://smashboards.com/threads/wii-u-stage-blast-zone-data.395357/
Right, I did say that in the video. 'It feels like its shorter, but I don't think so. I didn't actually test it. A maybe'

TSM ZeRo

Covers some basics, but obviously it can't really go in depth with different characters.

A lot is just inaccurate, though. I've done some research into different characters and their preferred stages, and Link likes Battlefield against other highly projectile characters, and Little Mac likes Town and City in general.

Town and City has a low vertical blast zone, but it also has a thin horizontal blast zone compared to the edge of the stage. Overall, all kills are at lower percents in the stage. It's not "bad," lol. Does prefer vertical kills a little thanks to the platforms, though. Uhh, Duck Hunt appears to have thin horizontal blast zones, but it's just where the camera stops. Really, it's wider than FD.

So yeah. Not a fan of the misinformation, but I agree that stage picking is very important.
A lot of what you said is preference. Like, Mac liking Town And City (He could just get platform camped...) and Link liking battlefield (Again, platform camping and a slow jumper).

The duck hunt thing I actually even said so in the video 'It feels like its shorter, but I don't think so. I didn't actually test it. A maybe'

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Right, I did say that in the video. 'It feels like its shorter, but I don't think so. I didn't actually test it. A maybe'
Yeah, I didn't mean to outright say "you're wrong!" It was more of a confirmation to what you said with some data. It's a common thing people think (many Ness mains I've come across think it helps his back throw) when the data says otherwise.

Smash Ace
A lot of what you said is preference. Like, Mac liking Town And City (He could just get platform camped...) and Link liking battlefield (Again, platform camping and a slow jumper).

The duck hunt thing I actually even said so in the video 'It feels like its shorter, but I don't think so. I didn't actually test it. A maybe'
Thanks for the video!

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

For Little Mac, it's a given that the opponent is going to strike FD. It's just going to happen. So, he needs to pick out of what's left. That happens to be Town and City. Camping out could probably be done there, but it should not be enough to allow time stalling. The section only lasts somewhere between 33-34s (the very first part lasts 28 seconds, though), so any time stalling would be somewhat brief. Just for reference, the other part of the stage with platforms lasts the same amount of time, and the flat, transition period lasts somewhere between 16-17 seconds.

For Duck Hunt, you did make it clear you weren't entirely sure about the side blast zone, but you still heavily suggested that it does have a shortened one. Err, if you were anyone else, this would have no effect, but people truly take what you say, even if you just "feel" it, to heart. Afterall, you're ZeRo, the person with the reputation of the best Smash 4 player! People trust your intuition. Also, since the video has such a huge audience, I just wonder why you would not do some quick research into that beforehand :).

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I didn't think about the blast zones tbh, I have the 3DS so I don't really play often on big battlefield. But not considering the blast zones it is actually a good stage.
Yeah but blastzones do exist and should be considered. I mean it's a good stage design for teams, but singles you have to play by the honour system and promise not to fight in the middle if you want any hope of not just timing out or chasing a faster character who's just circle camping away from you.

TSM ZeRo

For Little Mac, it's a given that the opponent is going to strike FD. It's just going to happen. So, he needs to pick out of what's left. That happens to be Town and City. Camping out could probably be done there, but it should not be enough to allow time stalling. The section only lasts somewhere between 33-34s (the very first part lasts 28 seconds, though), so any time stalling would be somewhat brief. Just for reference, the other part of the stage with platforms lasts the same amount of time, and the flat, transition period lasts somewhere between 16-17 seconds.

For Duck Hunt, you did make it clear you weren't entirely sure about the side blast zone, but you still heavily suggested that it does have a shortened one. Err, if you were anyone else, this would have no effect, but people truly take what you say, even if you just "feel" it, to heart. Afterall, you're ZeRo, the person with the reputation of the best Smash 4 player! People trust your intuition. Also, since the video has such a huge audience, I just wonder why you would not do some quick research into that beforehand :).
That's the thing. I started out saying 'I'm not sure about this detail, but from feeling, I think this'.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
That's the thing. I started out saying 'I'm not sure about this detail, but from feeling, I think this'.
That's only a very small part of my post. My main point is right after that:
me said:
Err, if you were anyone else, this would have no effect, but people truly take what you say, even if you just "feel" it, to heart. Afterall, you're ZeRo, the person with the reputation of the best Smash 4 player! People trust your intuition. Also, since the video has such a huge audience, I just wonder why you would not do some quick research into that beforehand :).
:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom