• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's worst and annoying match-ups?

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
@Lil Puddin, I'm going to have to agree that there are certain characters in this game that are way too easy to play

I feel like whenever I play Rosalina, it's a near 100% win. The character is pretty much fool proof and Imho incredibly cheap. I could just be an incredibly talented Rosalina, as I do use her to face CPU Players when I have friends over, but I'm leaning towards she's overpowered

I would never lose to link or toon link as Rosalina, but as Zelda it can be a difficult match up

Last edited:

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
^ i don't think DDD is bad at all for zelda

Dins fire is actually extremely useful here. hits gordos back, travels faster than gordos, and with DDD's terrible air/ground speed he's a sitting duck for sweetspots (literally).

any greedy approach from DDD will have him eating the elevator and with his huge hitbox, any of Zelda's other kill moves are tough to fall out of/whiff.

as long as you lame him out you should be fine (and you shouldn't feel guilty for it because that's all DDD's try to do most of the time)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
^Hm I actually disagree with every statement you made.

@ Cosmo! Cosmo! I'm a bit curious here. Why do you burn your second jump so often? Do you feel like Zelda's kicks are underutilized or are you baiting an approach? ROB's projectiles will eat you alive if you never have a second jump.

Last edited:

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
For me it was Captain Falcon.
But then everyone and their god damn grandmothers played Falcon on For Glory. Now I'm not scared any more. I've seen Falcon so many times, it's almost as if I main him.

Otherwise, I have trouble with DeDeDe and ROB. Mostly because of their projectiles. ROB's little gyro will be the death of me, I swear. And those Gordos? Screw those guys. I can reflect them all I want, he'll just send 'em back at me once more.

Sonic can be an issue from time to time, but it only takes a moment or two to bend the Sonic's actions to your will. It's quite easy to control the match if you take the right steps against him.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
Dedede hits hard and can kill you early but hes just very easily combod so once you manage to get in you can rack up some nice damage oh and gordos have considerable startup so you can farore him when he uses it

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
i know people struggle a ton with DDD because he's a rather tricky and unique character, but once you learn to deal with gordo's safely and find the right spacing against him, you can really make his weaknesses shine. just learn to space well and punish when you can.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Except he out spaces her and kicks are not safe on shield.

Have you played a high level Deedee? Because the two of my region's top 3 mains him or at least recently just changed mains to somebody else.

Last edited:

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Little Mac is by far the worst.

If you face even a half-way decent one, let alone a good one, RIP.

Olimar is also still really terrible for us to fight :(

Also: I don't find DDD to be that bad either - at least not compared to some of her other match-ups.

Last edited:

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
about olimar, i think hes difficult simply because of matchup experience, hes easily the least player character in for glory so its hard to get used to fighting him

hes tough thats for sure, but then again if you get a good read and ha e soem rage on you can kill him at 40% with farore ^.^

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
about olimar, i think hes difficult simply because of matchup experience, hes easily the least player character in for glory so its hard to get used to fighting him

hes tough thats for sure, but then again if you get a good read and ha e soem rage on you can kill him at 40% with farore ^.^
Olimar's attacks and grab have so much range, are fast, and have little lag. It makes getting in and punishing - especially with the Elevator - very difficult.

Our transcendent priority works against us in this match-up, and it doesn't help that we lost some range, had our lag increased, and lost priority in d-tilt. D-tilt used to clank with his smashes most of the time in Brawl, but I've had it get out-prioritized by Olimar's smashes a few times this time around. And Olimar's recovery has gotten better so it's harder to gimp him than before.

We can reflect his smash attacks so that helps, but it's hard to tell if he's using a smash attack or Pikmin sometimes, and if we're wrong we're left really open.

I just don't see what Zelda really has in this match-up.

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
Right? I feel that DeDeDe is quite a bit faster than all the other heavy-weights in the game. A few of his moves are actually safe on shield. I'm looking at you, Nair...

And if they're not, then holy ****, what have I been doing wrong?
I'd also like to note that I fought a Lucina that kept doing Shorthop -> Fair -> Dair/Neutral B over and over again and I felt so helpless.
Have you ever tried to fight a consistent shield breaker online?! One mistake and I was as good as dead. ONE.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I have to cast my vote.

ZSS. She falls out of your attacks so easily, has a pretty godly neutral, can force Zelda to approach, has unbeatable aerials, and is generally really risky to try to punish off stage. I legitimately think this is our worst matchup by far and there's no chance of winning it at any level of play that is above level 4 CPUs.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I'm pretty sure Diddy, Sheik, ZSS, Falcon and Little Mac are all 3:7 match-ups at least.

And then there's still a bunch of other match-ups that are awful like Sonic, Yoshi, Peach, Fox...

Seki_

Smash Cadet
NNID
RCX420
For Zelda particularly :4sonic: matches are awful for me, I struggle against :4palutena: because I'm not good at DI yet ;-; :rosalina:and :4diddy:are:rosalina:and:4diddy:. I also have a personal hatred of :4yoshi:simply because my training partner is a sick :4yoshi:player and the hitboxes are massive on his aerials

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
For Zelda particularly :4sonic: matches are awful for me, I struggle against :4palutena: because I'm not good at DI yet ;-; :rosalina:and :4diddy:are:rosalina:and:4diddy:. I also have a personal hatred of :4yoshi:simply because my training partner is a sick :4yoshi:player and the hitboxes are massive on his aerials
Generally any fast characters are Zelda's worst nightmare.
Mine are
:4falcon::4sonic::4zss: sometimes :4yoshi: rarely :4villager: I don't face:4sheik: that often but she is also a a candidat

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
:4darkpit::4littlemac::4mario::4olimar::4ness::4sheik::4yoshi::4sonic::4pit::4peach::4diddy::4bowserjr:

these are all tough. some are easier than others, but if you encounter a really good player who uses one of these chars, you must do your best as a zelda player to beat him. best not to "commit" too hard to anythin caus zelda is rly punishable

:4megaman:is ez

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I have to cast my vote.

ZSS. She falls out of your attacks so easily, has a pretty godly neutral, can force Zelda to approach, has unbeatable aerials, and is generally really risky to try to punish off stage. I legitimately think this is our worst matchup by far and there's no chance of winning it at any level of play that is above level 4 CPUs.
Ya, I agree with this.

You really can't gimp a zero suit samus player

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
The match-up against Fox is worse than I thought. I've finally fought some decent players instead of just FG ones and it's pretty difficult (though far from her worst).

I got jab locked into an upsmash D:

Last edited:

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
The problem with Fox is the same problem Zelda has with Zero Suit Samus. Fox has multiple ways to get back as well as a very powerful UP B so it becomes very difficult to gimp him

I can usually get Fox high in percentage but have trouble finishing most of the time

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I may be the only Zelda who finds Ness to be pretty straightforward to deal with, but this is probably because it's my most played matchup and it's largely unchanged from Brawl.

To me it's an even matchup. Whenever we talk about that in the matchup discussion thread I'll be sure to cover my thoughts there.

Last edited:

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
Almost every time I see a high tier I switch to Jiggles, just for the sake of her approach being so different compared to the rest of the cast and it throwing people off. Much safer than attempting to go in with Zelda.

If I am Zelda though... RIP to me if I have to fight Yoshi. Don't underestimate a good Meta Knight as well. If you try to edge guard with Din's or the Phantom, he'll punish you during endlag with his Dimensional Cape after he teleports through it. Even if I don't use those moves he'll still find a way to punish Zelda's lagginess. Still nowhere near as much a threat as Yoshi.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
King Dedede is a good match up for Zelda, I feeL. But whatever you do, don't reflect the Gordos. Dodge them instead. Reflecting a gordo back at D3 will usually get you killed instead.

Captain Falcon, Little Mac, and Shulk seem to be terrible match ups for Zelda.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
King Dedede is a good match up for Zelda, I feeL. But whatever you do, don't reflect the Gordos. Dodge them instead. Reflecting a gordo back at D3 will usually get you killed instead.

Captain Falcon, Little Mac, and Shulk seem to be terrible match ups for Zelda.
youve got to be careful with ddd hes dangerous and while his attacks are slow they usually have short endlag so they can be hard to punish.

thing to note: if you predict him using gordo you can din it and he will suffer damage from both din and gordo.

falcon seems easy but against a smart falcon you mustnt be reckless but zelda can just gimp him easy and hes super easy to combo

Last edited:

Peeta

Smash Cadet
I find Marth super annoying in all iterations of smash, but I haven't played against him very much in Sm4sh yet. I don't see too many people complaining about him here, though...

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
Just fought a good Sonic for the first time in a while. Kill me. Right now.
Spin dash for days.
Zelda moves at the pace of a turtle frozen in ice with molasses covered on top compared to him. I can get combos going for sure, but after that it's over. My only hope is to just land a dash attack or hope I can time Nayru's Love right to stop him.
Nothing I hate more than Sonic and Yoshi. I hate Diddy more, but I don't respect Diddy players at all and respect just about everyone else, so he doesn't count.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
Just fought a good Sonic for the first time in a while. Kill me. Right now.
Spin dash for days.
Zelda moves at the pace of a turtle frozen in ice with molasses covered on top compared to him. I can get combos going for sure, but after that it's over. My only hope is to just land a dash attack or hope I can time Nayru's Love right to stop him.
Nothing I hate more than Sonic and Yoshi. I hate Diddy more, but I don't respect Diddy players at all and respect just about everyone else, so he doesn't count.
agree with you except for not respecting diddy players. diddy is a character like everyone else so stop making a fool of yoself by not respecting.

but as you said sonic is hell. against a good one i find it better to get him to at least 50, then i let him hit me until i get to around 130 while avoiding his killmoves and then i elevator. that works the best for me against sonich

Last edited:

Krypton

Smash Cadet
No one mentioning :4ness: Ness as a bad match up? That kinda makes me sad =(. I had some real trouble with one while playing Zelda since his dash attack and fair are big, glowy impenetrable walls and PK Fire comes out a bit too fast to reflect with Nayru most times. Ness' grabs are one of his strong points so playing defensively with the shield is near impossible, and he's much faster than Zelda is... Its also nearly impossible to chain attacks out of down-throw against him because he can simply nair immediately and nick/block your slow aerial follow-up....

The one solid advantage is the plenty of time you have to Din Fire him while he's using his UpB to get back on stage...

But otherwise, maybe its just me, but he seems to shut things down on Zelda pretty well.
I know this is super late as a post, but PK Fires that have already hit you and are now flame pillars on the ground -- they're still reflectable by Nayru's Love. The fire pillar becomes yours if you hit it with Nayru's Love. In addition, NL makes you entirely immune to PK Flash for a short time.

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
agree with you except for not respecting diddy players. diddy is a character like everyone else so stop making a fool of yoself by not respecting.

but as you said sonic is hell. against a good one i find it better to get him to at least 50, then i let him hit me until i get to around 130 while avoiding his killmoves and then i elevator. that works the best for me against sonich
I respect them to some degree, I'm just not a fan of the "play to win" attitude. If you like Diddy because you like Diddy, that's okay and I'm down with that, but if you only play him to "win" because that's the only thing you care about in life, then that's where the problem lies. So it's not necessarily the character itself, but the people who have this attitude (which are most the people that I find playing him). I've never heard a single Diddy main say they play him because they like him, only for the obvious. This isn't really salt, because I don't care about winning or losing (when you've mained Zelda since Melee, you can't really care can you), this is simply not enjoying the game to its fullest because of something extremely ridiculous when the rest of it is okay.

About Sonic, I never find a time to elevator because he lacks so much end lag. If he goes for a pivot, dash attack in that same direction. Use Nayru's Love when he's approaching if you can. Maybe Utilt if possible. He seems to be easy to combo, but the combos he can get on you are much more damaging. There's just not much Zelda can do at all. It's almost as bad as Samus vs anyone with a reflector. She doesn't have to use her projectiles, but without them she's at such a disadvantage. Her "normals" just can't compete when her main form of approaching is taken away. I'm expecting a needed buff for her in the upcoming patch.

Last edited:

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
As of late, I've had some issues against :4bowserjr:
Honestly, I'd rather fight a Sonic than a Bowser Jr.

Top Bottom