• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Zelda Social - Still the queen of Smash...and maybe queen of low tier for a decade, too. Shall we make it two?

Are you happy with the Link Between Worlds redesign?

• Yes, she's gorgeous and expressive.

Votes: 265 65.9%
  • No, Breath of the Wild had such potential.

Votes: 56 13.9%
  • No, Twilight Princess death stare Zelda was the best design.

Votes: 45 11.2%
  • I'm happy with any design, just as long as she's viable,

Votes: 36 9.0%

• Total voters

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
So, apparently 2.0.0 will be live tonight at 17:00 PST / 20:00 EST: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...bros_ultimate_version_2_0_0_will_drop_tonight. Pray for Zelda buffs, I guess.

I'm banking on bugs fixes being the main thing they're doing aside from preparing Piranha Plant more. Some of the stuff is weird and sort of harmless while other stuff like Isabelle and Villager's Fair/Bair Pocket crash and Inkling's Ink Roller doing weird things to certain moves like stopping Charizard Flare Blitz's momentum come close to or are gamebreaking.

Also, I would not be surprised if they nerfed Falco's Utilt. That move is stupid in Ultimate. Falco's not fast and his Utilt doesn't have a lot of horizontal range, but because of his high jump, him having a frame 3 jump now, and how his other moves work in addition to Utilt, he gets so much out of Utilt. Keep in mind that Falco also gets a lot out of his moves in general. The problem is hitting them, but if he hits you with anything, something's going to happen. At this point, I think Utilt to Bair is an actual kill confirm for Falco. Pikazono, a Falco player looked into it and I was skeptical about it, but other Falco players have been able to consistently land Uair to Bair at kill percents. I'm still skeptical about it since I don't know if the opponent tried to do anything about it, but, at least with Smash 4 Utilt, its launch angle is vertical, 90 degrees, or almost vertical, 97 degrees, and with only 14 recovery frames and on the character with the highest jump in the game, it's looking like a reality rather than a possibility.

Anyway, it's freaking freezing where I live and the snow's much more difficult to deal with this year than the last year. Definitely going to be looking into getting winter tires for next year and hopefully being able to pick up some cheap steel wheels so I can just swap them when needed. For those of you who are dealing with this frigid cold, stay warm and stay safe. Do not rush to go anywhere even if you're late because roads in winter are unforgiving and unpredictable. I've yet to deal with black ice while driving and I hope I never have to deal with it. I think my uncle has before and he almost drove off a bridge or something.

Edit: Page steal. The first time I saw this image and how smug Zelda looked, Farore's Wind became Scum's Wind.

The closest thing we have to Iori Yagami's Kuzukaze (Scum Wind and also known as Scum Gale) I think is Snake's D-throw. It's a command throw that does no damage, but allows Iori to reposition his opponent by moving them behind him and he can immediately attack after it. Something like that would probably be broken in Smash if tuned poorly, but it could be something very interesting since no other throw would be like it as a zero damage throw for setups and combos. And no, this is not propaganda for Iori or any SNK character in Ultimate. :p

Last edited:

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
So, apparently 2.0.0 will be live tonight at 17:00 PST / 20:00 EST: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...bros_ultimate_version_2_0_0_will_drop_tonight. Pray for Zelda buffs, I guess.

I'm banking on bugs fixes being the main thing they're doing aside from preparing Piranha Plant more. Some of the stuff is weird and sort of harmless while other stuff like Isabelle and Villager's Fair/Bair Pocket crash and Inkling's Ink Roller doing weird things to certain moves like stopping Charizard Flare Blitz's momentum come close to or are gamebreaking.

Also, I would not be surprised if they nerfed Falco's Utilt. That move is stupid in Ultimate. Falco's not fast and his Utilt doesn't have a lot of horizontal range, but because of his high jump, him having a frame 3 jump now, and how his other moves work in addition to Utilt, he gets so much out of Utilt. Keep in mind that Falco also gets a lot out of his moves in general. The problem is hitting them, but if he hits you with anything, something's going to happen. At this point, I think Utilt to Bair is an actual kill confirm for Falco. Pikazono, a Falco player looked into it and I was skeptical about it, but other Falco players have been able to consistently land Uair to Bair at kill percents. I'm still skeptical about it since I don't know if the opponent tried to do anything about it, but, at least with Smash 4 Utilt, its launch angle is vertical, 90 degrees, or almost vertical, 97 degrees, and with only 14 recovery frames and on the character with the highest jump in the game, it's looking like a reality rather than a possibility.

Anyway, it's freaking freezing where I live and the snow's much more difficult to deal with this year than the last year. Definitely going to be looking into getting winter tires for next year and hopefully being able to pick up some cheap steel wheels so I can just swap them when needed. For those of you who are dealing with this frigid cold, stay warm and stay safe. Do not rush to go anywhere even if you're late because roads in winter are unforgiving and unpredictable. I've yet to deal with black ice while driving and I hope I never have to deal with it. I think my uncle has before and he almost drove off a bridge or something.

Edit: Page steal. The first time I saw this image and how smug Zelda looked, Farore's Wind became Scum's Wind.

The closest thing we have to Iori Yagami's Kuzukaze (Scum Wind and also known as Scum Gale) I think is Snake's D-throw. It's a command throw that does no damage, but allows Iori to reposition his opponent by moving them behind him and he can immediately attack after it. Something like that would probably be broken in Smash if tuned poorly, but it could be something very interesting since no other throw would be like it as a zero damage throw for setups and combos. And no, this is not propaganda for Iori or any SNK character in Ultimate. :p
Imagine wanting a nerf to a "just ok" character. Yes utilt is great on falco but cmon on, the dude is deserves it.

Yes, and we are so close to zelda being a great character, just minor adjustments.

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
So y'all gorls talking about GSP going down drastically, what do you mean? When I lose I still stay around 3.5m.
The GSP calculator seems wonky as hell. One loss will more than wipe out multiple wins, to the point where some nights I've won 80-90% of my matches but my GSP is lower than when I started that night. But when I see my opponent's GSP go down after I beat them, theirs doesn't seem to be so heavily impacted by a single loss as mine??

I haven't played as Palutena online in weeks, but I when I did occasionally play, my rank didn't drop from losses as sharply. Is it something about Zelda?

As an example of the weirdness: I played 4 matches against a Megaman who had a higher GSP than I did. (I was about 3.53 and I think they were about 3.7). I beat him three times in a row, then lost. At the end my GSP was lower than before I matched with him, despite winning 3/4 matches against an opponent of higher GSP. And infuriatingly, he somehow ended up right about where he was??

Things like this don't always happen, but my GSP will drop by larger than expected amounts seemingly arbitrarily.

Last edited:

Aussie1024

"Stow your fear. It's now or never!"
Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Last edited:

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Welp, can't say I'm not disappointed. I wasn't expecting numerous changes for her, but I was thinking she'd at least get a tweak or two.
Just be patient gorl. Nothing changed today but I'm sure that within the year they will nerf Din's Fire like they did in Sm4sh.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Imagine wanting a nerf to a "just ok" character. Yes utilt is great on falco but cmon on, the dude is deserves it.
Aside from my own personal contempt towards Falco, I didn't say I wanted a nerf to his Utilt? All I did was point out what his Utilt could do and with what it can do and with it being good, I would not be surprised if people were to get mad at it and him in general like they do with almost everything nowadays. For example, Ike recently had a big showing with MkLeo's use of him where MkLeo used his good fundamentals and abused Ike's Nair. The response was people freaking out about his Nair and saying it was broken. Ike's Nair is arguably overtuned compared to the rest of his moves, but it's kind of ridiculous how some people immediately condemned Ike without at least trying to figure out any counter play. It does not matter how good a character is, the unfortunate trend of some people is to be outraged and ask for nerfs.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I hate how patch notes are sometimes unnecessarily vague or poorly written and I'm not pinning this solely on Ultimate's. Would it really kill them to tell us exactly what the new launch angle for Mario's dash attack is or what exactly is the power being increased on Bowser's jab, probably jab combo, and his Ftilt? Damage or knockback. That's all they have to say in place of power. They don't have to tell us exactly what frames stuff were changed to if they don't want to for whatever reason like they don't want to make Ultimate seem too serious or whatever compared to Street Fighter V and its patch notes, but if they increased Character A's Side Smash damage from 13% to 14%, then why not tell us that? That's not super serious or whatever. If they don't want to tell us the knockback value, then say something like increased the base knockback or increased the scaling to be a bit more specific while still being vague enough for their liking.

In contrast, the details for changes to Chrom's Soaring Slash, Kirby's dash attack, Samus's Missile, and the shortened time when characters can grab the ledge after a specific move that many characters received are good and fine. Regarding Kirby's dash attack, I think power refers to damage because they mention launch distance which would be knockback, but why use power or attack power in place of damage? Is damage not understandable or something?

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I hate how patch notes are sometimes unnecessarily vague or poorly written and I'm not pinning this solely on Ultimate's. Would it really kill them to tell us exactly what the new launch angle for Mario's dash attack is or what exactly is the power being increased on Bowser's jab, probably jab combo, and his Ftilt? Damage or knockback. That's all they have to say in place of power. They don't have to tell us exactly what frames stuff were changed to if they don't want to for whatever reason like they don't want to make Ultimate seem too serious or whatever compared to Street Fighter V and its patch notes, but if they increased Character A's Side Smash damage from 13% to 14%, then why not tell us that? That's not super serious or whatever. If they don't want to tell us the knockback value, then say something like increased the base knockback or increased the scaling to be a bit more specific while still being vague enough for their liking.

In contrast, the details for changes to Chrom's Soaring Slash, Kirby's dash attack, Samus's Missile, and the shortened time when characters can grab the ledge after a specific move that many characters received are good and fine. Regarding Kirby's dash attack, I think power refers to damage because they mention launch distance which would be knockback, but why use power or attack power in place of damage? Is damage not understandable or something?
I assume this IS vague enough for their liking. 80% of the playerbase prolly doesn’t even know there is such a thing as a kb scaling stat, and “vulnerability, power, and kb distance” are pretty clear, or at least fairly easy to lab/discern by players if it weren’t for our self-made terms.

They literally gave us not only what characters got altered, but their moves, and an idea of where to look for the change. We don’t need more than that when we have frame advance in training mode. The only thing they still could’ve done for us was actually buff Zelda.

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
lol @ that change list tho.

I'm a super tryhard. That's how I get better.

This couldn’t be more unrelated to the current discussion but the Shrek 2 soundtrack is an absolute jam oh gorrrlll
Like, if you haven’t seen the movie in a while, you need to give some of these a try.
Ever Fallen In Love is a favourite of mine.
I Need A Hero, the song and entire movie segment, was straight family-friendly fire.

The GSP calculator seems wonky as hell. One loss will more than wipe out multiple wins, to the point where some nights I've won 80-90% of my matches but my GSP is lower than when I started that night. But when I see my opponent's GSP go down after I beat them, theirs doesn't seem to be so heavily impacted by a single loss as mine??

I haven't played as Palutena online in weeks, but I when I did occasionally play, my rank didn't drop from losses as sharply. Is it something about Zelda?

As an example of the weirdness: I played 4 matches against a Megaman who had a higher GSP than I did. (I was about 3.53 and I think they were about 3.7). I beat him three times in a row, then lost. At the end my GSP was lower than before I matched with him, despite winning 3/4 matches against an opponent of higher GSP. And infuriatingly, he somehow ended up right about where he was??

Things like this don't always happen, but my GSP will drop by larger than expected amounts seemingly arbitrarily.
Ok I get it. The winrate thing in Sm4sh was like that. But a 0-100 scale means slighter changes.

Anyway, maybe win/loss amounts are based on stats and amount if actions? That's how coins work. So maybe that's how scoring works. Which means Zeldas get bad scores (everything is dangerous to use, so Zeldas do less actions and have worse stats too).

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I assume this IS vague enough for their liking. 80% of the playerbase prolly doesn’t even know there is such a thing as a kb scaling stat, and “vulnerability, power, and kb distance” are pretty clear, or at least fairly easy to lab/discern by players if it weren’t for our self-made terms.

They literally gave us not only what characters got altered, but their moves, and an idea of where to look for the change. We don’t need more than that when we have frame advance in training mode. The only thing they still could’ve done for us was actually buff Zelda.
Fair enough, but I still wished they used damage in place of power. Power makes me think of both attack and knockback.

Also, there's an issue with the English patch notes at least where the Mii Fighters' specials aren't specified for some reason. In the Japanese version, they were: https://smashboards.com/threads/competitive-character-impressions-2-0.464762/page-70#post-22968841.

So, how's the potted plant?

Edit: Okay, more glitches and this is probably the worst one yet. Also, apparently the Piranha Plant in Ultimate is a female.

Edit 2: Edit Harder: RIP this banner. Also, apparently Duma is voiced by Roadhog.
3* Arthur: +Def, -Spd.

3* Kaze: +Def, -HP.

3* Odin: +Spd, -Atk.

4* Palla: +Atk, -Def.

4* Sheena #1: +Def, -Atk.

4* Camilla: +Def, -Res.

4* Sheena #2: +HP, -Def.

4* Soren: +Spd, -Atk.

4* Tharja: +Atk, -HP.

3* Wrys: +Res, -Atk.

Edit 3: With a Vengeance: Awful idea to summon from the link skills banner.
3* Cain: +Def, -Atk.

3* Est: +Spd, -Def.

3* Merric: +HP, -Atk.

4* Olivia: +Def, -Spd.

3* Sakura: +Spd, -Def.

Edit 4: Live Free or Edit Hard: Also, I don't know what I'm doing.
4* Ares: +Res, -Spd.

4* Eirika: +HP, -Spd.

3* Hawkeye: +Res, -Spd. Come on, man. Why can't you be +Def, instead?

4* Lucius: +HP, -Res.

4* Roderick: +HP, -Def.

Last edited:

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Arwon

Smash Apprentice
Fighting the plant with Zelda is real fun! It isn't super fast, we match or out-range its normals and Nayru eats its up B.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
How's it going Corruption Fans? :ultpiranha:

So I got Piranha Plant myself and I'm avoiding what all of these people are confirming right now. Hopefully Piranha Plant will get fixed asap, since this is a terrible glitch. I've only tried out Piranha Plant in Training Mode and also gave Palutena's Guidance a listen as well, both in English and Japanese.

But other then those, I've taken a look at the patch notes. And Palutena got a mixed bag from what I've read.

Her Nair is faster, as in REALLY fast now. However, I feel like this will make it more difficult for her to combo into Nair like before. But her recovery got buffed, meaning she can grab the ledge more easily. So we can hopefully not hit the lip of the stage and SD. HOPEFULLY.

Maybe Nair can combo into itself, but possibly with a tighter window.

Poor Zelda didn't get touched at all, but Lucina & Marth didn't. But you know who got buffed? Outside of buffing them in the base game, Jigglypuff FINALLY GOT BUFFED.

IT'S BEEN ALMOST FIVE YEARS! FIVE. YEARS. SINCE PUFF GOT BUFFED!

But outside of those, got a few more bits to do for Uni, then I'm done and I can watch Genesis 6 for the weekend.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Plant Boi is a precious boi and I love him. He is such a happy baby boi. All his animations are somehow more adorable than anything Jiggly does. His "ono i cant do dat yet" animations thooooooo. Besides his adorable plant baby cuteness, his attacks are very middling in terms of power. But the speed, range, and lack of vulnerability is nice.

Everything he does feels middling in terms of KB and damage. His specials are pretty weird but amazing for off-stage harassment. His B should be reversed to be usable imo. Like he should be able to fling it far without charging it or have it charge up faster. I'm pretty disappointed that 0% Uthrow doesn't combo into B. It would've been perfect. :^(

His SideB is a charge move which is weird feeling, but he's overall pretty neat. I didn't get a chance to try the Jiggly/Incineroar changes tho. I'm guessing Kitty Boi got an increase to his recovery's range from the looks of it? Or did they just make the hitbox absurdly sized? I can't tell, the patch notes aren't 100% clear, but hey, better than nothing.

btw the addition of Phirana Plant buffed Kirby considerably. Kirby is easily top tier in any match there's a Plant Boi to copy. See OP Kirby below:
Precious Plant Kirby.png

D

Deleted member 189823

Fighting the plant with Zelda is real fun! It isn't super fast, we match or out-range its normals and Nayru eats its up B.
Zelda's faster. lawl Huge turn-off from the character for me...

Linnc

Smash Cadet
Hey, so I think they made Zelda's dress, like, more stiff? I'm not sure if the physics changed for different characters/materials.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Zelda's faster. lawl Huge turn-off from the character for me...
Do you mean in movement speed or attack speed? Because movement-wise, this potted plant runs almost as fast as Mario.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Do you mean in movement speed or attack speed? Because movement-wise, this potted plant runs almost as fast as Mario.
I kind of just always run with foxthrot. She's definitely faster at that.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Same. My last semester of grad school for School Counseling started last week. I (finally) graduate in May!

What are you studying, if I can ask?
omg thats really cool congratulations!!!!! and im doing sociology, id like to work for like some kind of organization for social change OR LIKE my dream is to work at the un im really passionate about that kind of stuff

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
IS actually demoted Reyson to 4* rarity, which is really cool. i did already manage to pull a copy of him from his banner with neutral ivs, but i would really like a +spd one. knowing my luck, i probably won't pull another one for months. like it took me until july to pull my first shigure and i only just pulled my first silvia like last week. at the very least, both of them came with perfect ivs (shigure was +spd -res and silvia was +spd -hp). i think reyson will be my next +10 merge project tbh.

piranha plant feels...weird. his moveset is very unique, but i don't think he's particularly good. i'd rather the dlc characters release underpowered instead of another bayo 2.0 tho

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
hello girls

we remain untouched
but the addition of piranha plant moved zelda one spot down the tier list :secretkpop:
That's the ultimate buff Zelda needed tbh.

IS actually demoted Reyson to 4* rarity, which is really cool. i did already manage to pull a copy of him from his banner with neutral ivs, but i would really like a +spd one. knowing my luck, i probably won't pull another one for months. like it took me until july to pull my first shigure and i only just pulled my first silvia like last week. at the very least, both of them came with perfect ivs (shigure was +spd -res and silvia was +spd -hp). i think reyson will be my next +10 merge project tbh.

piranha plant feels...weird. his moveset is very unique, but i don't think he's particularly good. i'd rather the dlc characters release underpowered instead of another bayo 2.0 tho
Reyson is a good boi and I also got a 5*. idk if I'd +10 him tho. Not before other characters anyway.

As for Piranha Plant, most of ha balancing power is placed into ha OP animations/qtpi looks. So ofc ha kit isn't too impressive. :^)

D

Deleted member 189823

I think I'm going to hold off from using The Plant until everyone and their mother isn't using him. Can't even go on For Glory without playing a ****ing ditto.
I don't remember everyone being this hype about him... if anything, everyone was salty it's not Waluigi. welp, gotta give it to novelty factor...

Reyson is a good boi and I also got a 5*.
Leanne is so KYUTE.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
How's it going Genesis 6 fans?

I'd always greet the Marcina Discord with this emote btw. :secretkpop:

Getting to work with my University stuff, I wrote up my vision of a Driverless vehicle and now writing up what two existing Products, Services and/or Systems helped me get to this vision of mine. So I'll be looking at Google's Driverless Car that they had to scale back, and the Bus Service in Cambridge, which is kind of a driverless service. Since the driver doesn't need to accelerate the bus, they just need to steer it.

But at least once this is all done, I can relax. And maybe get some snow tonight. :yeahboi:

Also, I was incorrect about Palu's Nair being nerfed. I thought it was nerfed because the faster speed it was going during the hitlag would make it harder, but it instead made it more fluid and sped up her combo game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom