• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
These poor, naive children

Late 2014 through early 2015 was an amazing time for the Zelda Social
The place was active, everyone here was great, and we even did fun stuff like raids

But now it's just a desolate wasteland here
Most of the original gorls don't even visit anymore
Posts used to be funny, but now they're just garbage memes recycled over and over again
Sass doesn't even exist here anymore

basically rip Zelda Social

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Spritzee give this social a break. People hew like to play Zelda actually want to be here. Some of us who were "original" have honestly been the major beginners and perpetuators of these trash overused memes, which is why newer people end of conforming to the usage. It ain't gonna be like early 2015 again, but the newbies shouldn't be punished for it.

what we can do is teach new Zeldawful users to be aware and learn Zelda's weaknesses along with her strengths, like good Zelda sistren. Otherwise they'll all end up misinformed and perpetuating misinformation... And then go make discord chats to flame us and stay behind on Zelda info.
or you can just set them to ignore if you haven't already :secretkpop:

Last edited:

The place was active, everyone here was great, and we even did fun stuff like raids

Posts used to be funny, but now they're just garbage memes recycled over and over again

I like it here :^)

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Oh I forgot to mention, Zelda's and Rosalina's had a huge crew battle and Zelda's won because I took 7 stocks. They think the MU could be even now :^)

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay

Am I inadequate for you? T_T

(This actually kinda made me sad. I thought we where having fun here)

:150:

KarmaCastle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KarmaCastle
Oh I forgot to mention, Zelda's and Rosalina's had a huge crew battle and Zelda's won because I took 7 stocks. They think the MU could be even now :^)
When one of the Rosa's was salty one of the gorls asked what Rosa had over Zelda and he literally responded "...Because we're a better character."

Obviously :secretkpop:

/Lucina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Katsie
I picked up Zelda in Brawl, and was simply disappointed in how she came out in Smash 4. Nonetheless I have continued to play as her, while still waiting patiently with the hope she'll get some buffs. This is a time for celebration, even if it draws attention to the character that you felt was more uniquely yours; I'll admit that I've felt somewhat the same in regards to Mewtwo. Before his buffs, I've enjoyed the privilege of having others play him less and not know the match-up quite so well. Using an under-used or under-appreciated character has its own sort of gratification. But no matter how many newbies come in and pretend they've always appreciated the character, remember there's plenty more out there who genuinely just love the character and want to give them a new look because the buffs simply make the character more fun for them. This happened to me with Charizard. But then I like to hop over at all of the characters every once in a while just to try playing outside of my usual comfort zone.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I'm glad I showed up during 2014 here because the hostility towards new people is really discomforting to me. Thanks BJN for the truth talk and the good attitude.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
ftfy
The main problem for me is just how it plays. Movement feels very stiff and clanky (I know this is common for 3D fighters, but they could've made it smoother.), if you get caught in a combo there's nothing you can do until the combo ends which is the end of the game 99% of the time since everything deals so much damage, and every mode is almost the exact same with the only thing different being who you play against. There's also basically only 2 different stages (circle and oval) with small changes like slightly larger or smaller, or where you start off at. Also a bunch of stuff has exceptions to their rules. "Counter attacks beat out all normal attacks. Oh wait half the moves in the game beat out counters and the only one I'm going to tell you about is other counters and even then it's just sometimes."

The 30 fps thing only applies if you're playing on 1 system. Pretty sure it stays at 60 when using LAN. (Playing on 1 system is garbage anyways since 1 person is forced to the gamepad. But its it's even worse than Hyrule Warriors because in that game, you could choose who was forced to the gamepad, while this game makes player 1 use the gamepad no matter what.)
that's a lot of things, but i may as well help provide info on "traditional fighters" (pokken isn't really traditional but the rules apply)

I'll include a tldr at the end
if you get caught in a combo there's nothing you can do until the combo ends which is the end of the game 99% of the time since everything deals so much damage
  • if you get hit by a combo you get hit by a combo. There's none of that DI nonsense, Generally most traditional fighters the only out of a combo is for your opponent to drop it, pokken is pretty easy combo wise so don't think that will be happening too much. Some fighters do include something you can do while in hitstun, such as burst or air tech in guilty gear, but for the most part its pretty clear cut.
    • The big however, is most combo starters generally have some weakness to them. they usually aren't unsafe on block, but tend to sacrifice range, start up or set up. Which leads to why neutral in standard fighting games is very much different then what people are used to in smash. you generally look for pokes and footsies till you can get an advantageous range or spacing
    • another counter play to combos to make sure you don't die to the most combo heavy nut cake is damage scaling. The more hits into the combo the less damage the next hit will do, so if someone is 20 hits in the next hit would prob do something like 30% of the normal damage the move would do
    • Pokken is like 3-4 strong combos to death which is actually really low comparably to most fighters, but not for anime fighters :secretkpop:.
and every mode is almost the exact same with the only thing different being who you play against.
  • I'm going to assume what you mean by this is both of the modes play the same every time, with things only changing depending on who you play against. Which is fully intended, 3d phase is something that works like neutral with poking and learning your opponent's habits. While 2d is something that works similar to a advantage in traditional fighters, ie you got a knockdown, now you could go for a meaty or perhaps you got full screen oki as a character that specializes in projectiles in range so you can pressure full stage
  • If you meant both modes play the exact same as eachother, I really don't see how that is. 2d clearly offers high damage opportunities to combo stronger characters. while 3d lets you try to get the set up you want going into 2d. But if that's how you feel (insert shrug here)
There's also basically only 2 different stages (circle and oval) with small changes like slightly larger or smaller, or where you start off at.
  • that fully is a traditional fighter thing
    • believe it or not people really don't care for the idea of mom showing up and doing 20 damage or KOing you
  • there are some differences in stages, and I'm not sure if that's a 3d fighter thing. 2d fighters literally use stages as backdrops
ftfy
"Counter attacks beat out all normal attacks. Oh wait half the moves in the game beat out counters and the only one I'm going to tell you about is other counters and even then it's just sometimes."
  • ok this specifically is like a street fighter 4 thing. To which there is a specific universal move called focus attack. Focus attacks would let you take a single hit from anything and respond with an attack. and you could take anything with a FA so long as it did 1 hi. YOU COULD ALSO CANCEL IT just like counter attack. which means you could take hits from almost anything and approach or keep neutral. the one of the two ways around this was 1 hit multiple times, Jabs could do the trick or just moves with more then one hit or 2 moves that had armor break, moves that had armor break were usually obnoxious obvious when used in terms of start up. If counter attack beat everything you would be crying more, trust me
TLDR; there's nothing that plays like traditional fighters. While they are all separately different. You really need to get into one to start making sense of them. My recommendation if you really want to get into traditional fighters is finding a character you really want to play (1 character, not 2 or 3), learn their game/playstyle and most importantly their tools to play against other characters and their tools to set up big damage for them, you'll just start to pick things up as you do. There's one thing I'd like to add about pokken, projectiles do hella damage, I've never seen a fighter have meter-less projectiles that do so much damage

If you need any help understand some traditional 2d fighter techniques I have no problem helping. Anything from how basics word to how to counter play something.
The 30 fps thing only applies if you're playing on 1 system. Pretty sure it stays at 60 when using LAN. (Playing on 1 system is garbage anyways since 1 person is forced to the gamepad. But its it's even worse than Hyrule Warriors because in that game, you could choose who was forced to the gamepad, while this game makes player 1 use the gamepad no matter what.)
ya that's how I understand the local play, 30 fps should be considered a nono for any fighter

everyone here was great,
wait that includes me

You have opinions
They remind me of the tides
They constantly change
-Haiku, by Furret.
what we can do is teach new Zeldawful users to be aware and learn Zelda's weaknesses along with her strengths, like good Zelda sistren.
right...
what are our strengths again? other then recovery
tbh I'm kinda mad that these new gorls have to go out of their way to say that they've always liked Zelda in order to feel welcome here
ya, they need to say they like furret to get my appreciation and acceptance. :secretkpop:

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
tbh I'm kinda mad that these new gorls have to go out of their way to say that they've always liked Zelda in order to feel welcome here
I honestly really dislike Zelda

her mobility is so icky, it just doesn't seem to ebb well. At least Lucario is fluid, Zelda just feels stiff.

:150:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I'm glad I showed up during 2014 here because the hostility towards new people is really discomforting to me. Thanks BJN for the truth talk and the good attitude.
Now that you mention it...things have been a little Link Board-ey around here lately.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Y'know I remembered something b/c FullMoon FullMoon said a thing

I though we were all going to go into FG and spam FW at people and make a montage like the powerpuff gorls but of only Zelda FW spam someday :secretkpop:

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
I've been lurking this social from time to time since the Wii U version came out, yet when I finally decide to post there seems to be beef with new people ):

Anyways,hello gorls :4zelda:

D

Deleted member

I've started to be a lot more quiet on SB recently but tbh I gotta say this:

Why can't we just get rid of all the negativity? From what I've read, apparently some have been hostile to new gorls? I don't know if that's true but if it is, what good is gonna come out of that? We should be happy more people are joining and making our group bigger. Who cares if they only come after buffs and stuff like that? We should focus less on jumping on people for petty things like that because at the end of the day, there's more important stuff compared to giving newcomers the cold shoulder. And also, I've been seeing things like "Oh this social is **** now", "it's not like it was a while ago" etc. Things change, that's just how it is. Besides, even though I barely speak anymore, I like this social and I don't think it's gotten worse. Let's just be happy we have each other and be glad our sisterhood continues to grow. Besides the Bayonetta Social and sometimes the Robin Social, this is the only thread I ever visit on SB. I've been here for a little over a year and I gotta say, I'm very glad to have found this place and meet you sassy peeps :p I still see this place as it was a year ago: A hilarious and comforting place to come visit. I'm not in such a good place at the moment due to Depression but for real, everyday when I log on, I look forward to visiting this place to see what you crazy gorls have to say. What I don't look forward to, however, is negativity.

It's like really late and I'm tired af but overall, my point is, is that we should be sassy together, not against each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look what you did Lorde Lorde . Your life is spinning out of control and it's time for an intervention.

First the flaming of various users, then the faxing of your nudes, and now this.

Last edited:

Spirst

Lol @ people needing to give long reasons for why they should be welcome here. I have never once given a **** about Zelda or even finished a Zelda game but I felt fine when I used to be active here.

A part of the hostility is mostly just a glorified nostalgia boner. Not defending it at all since I find it to be a cancerous attitude to have but I can kind of see the perspective. People tend to be resistant to change. The social as it used to be was pretty fun and it was a smaller community. It's harder to maintain a feel of that sense of community as it grows larger. I see the same thing with a number of smashboards users who were active during the 2008 time complaining about how disconnected and faceless the site feels as a whole now. How it's "bad" and won't ever be as cool as it was then. Meanwhile, we have the glorified Zelda social people have had tons of fun in so obviously, the site isn't bad. It's just different. And right now, the social is just different. People leave. People arrive. That's just how it is. I imagine a number of people active here now won't be in the next year and then even more new faces will join. Welcome to life. You can either criticize new people and become Link boards 2.0 or just accept the community for what it is now and get over it. It's not a big deal.

I don't remember the last time I've ever said this much in this thread. I need to go lay down. I'll be back next month.

KarmaCastle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KarmaCastle
If you want to get over the negativity it helps if you move past it and just switch gears to positive instead of constantly grouping up and reminding everyone how not-good things are / things were better.

At this point it's not really reflection but brooding.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Lol @ people needing to give long reasons for why they should be welcome here. I have never once given a **** about Zelda or even finished a Zelda game but I felt fine when I used to be active here.

A part of the hostility is mostly just a glorified nostalgia boner. Not defending it at all since I find it to be a cancerous attitude to have but I can kind of see the perspective. People tend to be resistant to change. The social as it used to be was pretty fun and it was a smaller community. It's harder to maintain a feel of that sense of community grows larger. I see the same thing with a number of smashboards users who were active during the 2008 time complaining about how disconnected and faceless the site feels as a whole now. How it's "bad" and won't ever be as cool as it was then. Meanwhile, we have the glorified Zelda social people have had tons of fun in so obviously, the site isn't bad. It's just different. And right now, the social is just different. People leave. People arrive. That's just how it is. I imagine a number of people active here now won't be in the next year and then even more new faces will join. Welcome to life. You can either criticize new people and become Link boards 2.0 or just accept the community for what it is now and get over it. It's not a big deal.

I don't remember the last time I've ever said this much in this thread. I need to go lay down. I'll be back next month.
From the mouth of babes...

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I think I was just in a bad mood, going to keep Pokken for now.
I read your entire post Furret, but just going to quote this 1 part.
  • I'm going to assume what you mean by this is both of the modes play the same every time, with things only changing depending on who you play against. Which is fully intended, 3d phase is something that works like neutral with poking and learning your opponent's habits. While 2d is something that works similar to a advantage in traditional fighters, ie you got a knockdown, now you could go for a meaty or perhaps you got full screen oki as a character that specializes in projectiles in range so you can pressure full stage
  • If you meant both modes play the exact same as eachother, I really don't see how that is. 2d clearly offers high damage opportunities to combo stronger characters. while 3d lets you try to get the set up you want going into 2d. But if that's how you feel (insert shrug here)
When I said game modes, I meant the different modes you can choose on the menu, not the phases. You can play against CPU's in a tournament, you can play against CPU's in a practice mode, you can play against another person locally, or yoyou can play against another person online. All of those modes have the exact same gameplay, the only difference being who you're battling. Smash (I know it's a sin to compare fighting games to Smash but too bad I'm doing it anyways) has different modes like Classic and All Star that you can play when you need a break from the regular game. While in Pokken if you get tired of 1 mode, you're basically going to need to take a break from the entire game since none of the other modes are very different.

I've only used Suicune so far and I don't plan on using anyone else for a while. Half to learn how to play Suicune and the game in general, and half to find out bad MUs and who can cover them (the Pikachus and Weavile are probably the worst ones from what I can tell). I'll tag you if I have any other questions. ;)

—————————————————————————

Okay on to this whole "new users" deal.
I think it's just overwhelming having so many new people join this quickly. Last time we got this many new people in a day was some random day last year when Flavius Flavius @somanygames64 and 1 other person that left after about a week joined. (Edgy where u at?) That was also at a sorta dry time so some new faces helped liven up the social. But now we're trying to figure out what these buffs mean for Zelda and how to utilize them to their fullest potential, but so are dozens of other new users and it's a lot to handle at once. But give us a week or 2 and the talk about the buffs will settle down and we'll be able to handle new users and greet them friendlier than now. It's also just really strange because we almost never talk about Zelda competitively here so suddenly all of this talk about Zelda tech is strange for the older users. :p
But welcome to all of the new users, sorry for the not-so-great greeting! It'll take us a while to get to know all of you so it may be awkward for a while.
Shoutouts to TheEdgyOne :secretkpop:
That took me over 40 minutes to type I need to sleep after that.

Last edited:

KarmaCastle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KarmaCastle
If anything we should be thrilled that the buffs seem to be making enough of an impact (and or the other character's nerfs) that people are looking to Zelda at all.

:drflip:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I just assumed they're joking. Bcuz it'd be sad if they were srs.

ps: your taste in husbandos is impeccable, gorl.

Y'know I remembered something b/c FullMoon FullMoon said a thing

I though we were all going to go into FG and spam FW at people and make a montage like the powerpuff gorls but of only Zelda FW spam someday :secretkpop:
B-but I al-also have 2 lovely FW kills from earlier this day. Both were kinda funny in the "did that really happen tho" way.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
as much as i enjoy watching pokken, raw supers do way too much damage, every time i see one it seems to do more damage then a combo'ed super. cept like :4lucario:
When I said game modes, I meant the different modes you can choose on the menu, not the phases.
my b
cqLbAEV.jpg

I've only used Suicune so far and I don't plan on using anyone else for a while. Half to learn how to play Suicune and the game in general, and half to find out bad MUs and who can cover them (the Pikachus and Weavile are probably the worst ones from what I can tell). I'll tag you if I have any other questions. ;)
oh yes another subject is match ups, Generally in traditional fighters. Players tend to stick to one thing, while smash 4 is a bit of an anomaly with 50+ characters making the match up chart a mess if it ever gets close to even. But for the most part traditional fighters, you won't see someone change characters due to a bad match up. not sure how pokken will turn out on this case though
Smash (I know it's a sin to compare fighting games to Smash but too bad I'm doing it anyways) has different modes like Classic and All Star that you can play when you need a break from the regular game.
I based myself in smash, not hard to do when you just play nintendo when you're younger, it's really not that bad of a comparison. things still operate by frames, grabs still beat blocking, oki, stage control/neutral, meaties, and there are still 'some' reversals/frame traps/option selects, that stuff is still there. Smash just has some additions and subtractions. The 1 thing that changes the game above all else is the emphasis on air game, thanks to you having at least 1 extra jump, free movement in the air, needing to go offstage or midair to capitalize or ko in some situations, combos in general, being able to jump out of shield and AAs generally being like 1 move character has, not 2-3. The only people butt hurt about that comparison are people who play traditional fighters, Traditional fighters communities are worse then the link boards and it isn't even close

you want to see true, opinionated people/hate/bm/saltiness/arguing/*****ing/thesis as to why ___ is trash and just being a cry baby in general read the following comment section
http://shoryuken.com/2016/01/26/evo-2016-lineup-revealed-street-fighter-smash-guilty-gear-pokken-and-more/
+1 point for each comment down you go, get to the bottom I'll pay for your cancer treatment. Smash is possibly the best fighting game community and that is saying something in a very sad way.

very easy to talk endlessly about this stuff. Starting to look like a falco user that got banned and I can only remember the first half of his name
If anything we should be thrilled that the buffs seem to be making enough of an impact (and or the other character's nerfs) that people are looking to Zelda at all.

:drflip:
I like to play 'bad' characters, so I have no clue what the excitement about buffs is all about
I actually just play characters with really interesting tools and tech. Oh and multi hits, don't know why, but I really like multi hits

Last edited:

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
lol who dat :^)
:4iggy: obviously
you want to see true, opinionated people/hate/bm/saltiness/arguing/*****ing/thesis as to why ___ is trash and just being a cry baby in general read the following comment section
http://shoryuken.com/2016/01/26/evo-2016-lineup-revealed-street-fighter-smash-guilty-gear-pokken-and-more/
+1 point for each comment down you go, get to the bottom I'll pay for your cancer treatment. Smash is possibly the best fighting game community and that is saying something in a very sad way.
DID IT! Glad the last comment wasn't salty.
I expected 80% of the comments to be salt towards Smash, nothing surprised me there.
I can understand the Pokken hate, I'd be fine with it waiting another year (mostly because the top 8 is going to be all Japanese since they're going to have it for almost a year once it starts and everyone else will only have a few months of experience.)
I didn't even notice that P4AU wasn't listed until the comments mentioned it. Shame, I liked watching it occasionally :/
Also lol at the one dude complaining that Nintendo never patched Melee even though the GC couldn't connect to the internet.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
DID IT! Glad the last comment wasn't salty.
I expected 80% of the comments to be salt towards Smash, nothing surprised me there.
I can understand the Pokken hate, I'd be fine with it waiting another year (mostly because the top 8 is going to be all Japanese since they're going to have it for almost a year once it starts and everyone else will only have a few months of experience.)
I didn't even notice that P4AU wasn't listed until the comments mentioned it. Shame, I liked watching it occasionally :/
Also lol at the one dude complaining that Nintendo never patched Melee even though the GC couldn't connect to the internet.
2 smash games!?!?!?!11!
no street fighter 4? even though half the community hates it
no blazblue even though the new version is arcade only in japan
A naruto game over (insert game here)?

holy smokes, it's hard to not cringe or pity laugh. also how did you make it through all those comments, some of them are like 1 and 1/2 page essays
wow. **** got so intense

let's all just love each other :3
no just love me
furret_by_kimi133-d7rvoz6.png

you don't need anything else~

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Morning girls. How's everyone doing? :4zelda:

let's all just love each other :3

Anyway, I've just had my lunch and about to try and create my t-shirt design for University. And I had to do a few extra deliveries today, since some papers arrived late and we agreed to deliver those. :V

Also, I find it so funny that you can have any theme play during a Super Attack in PXZ2 after you Clear the game once. I had Opening Stage X3 during Chris & Jill's Super Attack; it's so silly. :3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So complaining about the newer users, complaining about memes, preferring the older users. Yo this is literally what happened with the Disco Room a month or so ago. lol

I guess it can't be helped. If someone gets use to a certain way for a while, there's a possibility they will be hesitant to adapt if it clashes with how things once were. It isn't just here, this happens in a lot of social groups and people remember the good ole days.

I will say I'm not for tons of memes myself, but it is what it is. The internet itself has 'evolved' (and I use that word very loosely) around memes and such, and as Smash 4 has been out for a while, more memes have been creating about Smash in-general and their usage on the internet.

My only real complaint about this section is there isn't enough people discussing how to improve the character, or looking for research. Which I understand because Zelda is terrible in every game outside of Project M and Super Smash Flash 2, but still. I do also realize that if I want to see content such as this I should promote it more and lab myself which I do want to do as the reason I play Zelda in any Smash game is because she is the most fun character for me to play and I like to see more of what she is capable of.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, could the memes be toned down a bit with some moderation? Yeah, sure I mean Smash Social thread did that, however I wouldn't lock down the rules as bad as that thread did as it literally killed the activity in that thread. I think a fine balance is in order and also a reminder that if you want more of the "good ole days", start creating them yourself with the people here. If someone isn't doing it for you, step up and make it that way.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Reminder that you can set me to ignore if you don't want to see my posts <3

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
You're welcome

Tbh I have a few people ignored here

I'm not going to name names, though