• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda problems...

auroreon

Smash Ace
Im having some problems with zelda...

I have always played as yoshi and I am able to compete against any character in the game, even supposedly 'top tier' characters such as meta-knight don't give me too many problems... Im at least able to put up a fight. I win most matches I play. That is... except a certain hyrulian princess.

I find Zelda not just difficult to handle... not just a bit of a pain... UNBEATABLE.
Every time I face a zelda I lose, without fail. I rarely manage to knock off a single stock. Its like it is completely impossible for me to win. (Im not suggesting it is, Im just saying thats what it feels like, Im aware there must be something Im doing wrong).

My main problems are... most of her attacks seem to make u trip, making it impossible for you to avoid the next attack because you are sitting on the floor after a trip. To add to this most off her attacks carry the electric effect which seems to stun you making u unable to move for some time.
Then alot of her moves seem to have hitboxes much larger to where the acctual move is... for example, the up smash, which appears above her however manages to hit you from the sides of zelda. And I beleive its the down tilt where she kneels down and kicks slightly infront of her and it trips you up if it hits you, this move actually hits you from far further away than just where her foot moves to.

My next problem is with her EXTREME power. Im not quite sure why Zelda would carry moves with such insane power, but I seem to be dying well bellow 150%.

Then there is the fact that many of her moves are multi-hitting therefore wracking up damage rather quickly, I wouldn't have much of a problem with this if it wasn't for the fact that you cannot smash DI out of her moves.

Normally faced with a character such as this, I would rely on my eggs to keep the game in my favor... however the eggs as Im sure ur aware are completely useless compared dins fire which hits you even if you aren't anywhere near the acctual fireball. :/

And then! to top it all off... she out prioritizes nearly every move I throw at her.

Does anyone have any tips as to how I could acctually compete against her, I would be really grateful if you guys could help me with this little problem. Its kinda annoying losing every time I face this character, even though I know I am more skilled than my opponant.

And don't tell me to use meta-knight.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Zelda is one of Yoshi's bad match-ups (I'd put her at 3rd-worst, ahead of Marth, behind Lucario and Game & Watch), but that's just my personal experience.

You have a couple of small things, though. First, POKE LIKE YOU'VE NEVER POKED BEFORE. Neutral A, down tilt, neutral air, make it fast, and make it safe. She'll still beat you close up, but it's your closest chance to turn the tables and perhaps land a pivot grab, Egg Toss or aerial on her.

Zelda doesn't fight well directly below her. Of course, she can hide this weakness with her lightning kick and her great spacing, but this should be noted.

If you get the upper hand in a long-range battle, it's a Good opportunity to try and force an approach, as Zelda can often become flustered is she's being repeatedly hit out of her Din's Fire. She can use her reflect (Naryu's Love?), but it's actually not that huge of a threat, given the trajectory of Yoshi's Egg Toss.

For what it's worth, Egg Roll with clash with Din's Fire. Don't rely on this for any sort of approach, though, since she can shoot Din's Fire a lot more quickly than you can start another Egg Roll.

Finally, try to abuse her recovery options. When it comes down to it, she only has a given number of viable strategic options of when to teleport to and when to do it. Take this time to pester her with Egg Toss and force her to rush into a decision, then try to plan for her re-entry point.

Sadly, all of these things together might not be all you need to trump the Hylian Princess, but knowledge is power, and it'll give you some things to work on.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Everyone is telling me that Zelda isn't really that hard once you know how to fight her....

I wish I could actually fight some so I can know myself!

Chaco

Never Logs In
Everyone is telling me that Zelda isn't really that hard once you know how to fight her....

I wish I could actually fight some so I can know myself!
Truest statment ever, me and Les played 4 Zelda mains daily and we have no problems now.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Mmac, you can play against mine considering that she is my second-best character.

Incidentally, I hate this match-up, too. What you need to do is to get her into the air, where she is weak. Just be wary of that f-air/b-air. I sometimes feel like a walking bulleye when fighting against her...

Oh, and if you get spiked at anything under 80%, don't give up. Yoshi can actually survive her d-air up until that percentage (well, at least I did XD).

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
Bait her.

Baiiiit her.

Don't try to beat her. Bait her.

do what Successor of Raphael said

get her to approch you and if she just spam din's fire just use nair (or bair) to stop it. also spot dodge and punish. never approach from above her cause up stop every single air this match up is kinda hard but just make her attack and punih cause i think all her attacks can be punished and then u can use a tilt or a down smash

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
Spot dodge and punish Din's Fire? How?
i didnt mean spot dodge dins fire but like in general i tihnk all her a attacks can be spot dodge and punished

but im pretty sure u can spot dodge it just start it right when its next to you but the timing is not as ez as using a bair or nair

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Usmash requires strict timing. Same with her jab. Same with her Fsmash.

Then again, I suppose Yoshi players know how to spotdodge!

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Yeah, that makes more sense. The problem with spot-dodging Zelda's attacks is that they last a very long time (especially up and forward smash, as Successor pointed out), making spot-dodging a risky proposition.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
well i dont spot dodge up smash but i dont find it hard to spot dodge her fsmash or jab, most yoshi can spot dodge fairly well cause of there horrible roll and u can attack out of his spot dodge and not out of his shield

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I definitely agree that Yoshi's spot dodge is one of his better defensive options. I just thought I should mention that, though.

ProBrawler

Smash Lord
Westchester, NY ; Cornell University in the school
Truest statment ever, me and Les played 4 Zelda mains daily and we have no problems now.
Nah, not true at all. If you mean me, I still kick your butt, just like old times, Chaci. =) Though I've now stopped playing Z/S online (for the most part) because of lag and other annoying crap. Anyway, it all depends on who you face. I think you'll find that top level Z/S's aren't so easy. l=<

Chaco

Never Logs In
Nah, not true at all. If you mean me, I still kick your butt, just like old times, Chaci. =) Though I've now stopped playing Z/S online (for the most part) because of lag and other annoying crap. Anyway, it all depends on who you face. I think you'll find that top level Z/S's aren't so easy. l=<
Since when have you kicked my butt? XD I don't use Yoshi ever online nowadays, haven't forreal in about two months.

Chaco

Never Logs In
All the time. You've never beaten my Ike in recent memory, and my Z/S is twice, if not more, as good. Last time I faced you I won (even 2 stocked IIRC) w/ characters I rarely ever play like Mario. =)
lol I'm not even responding to that. But last time I played your Ike I three stocked it with Yoshi. Now please stop making me laugh.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Pro please just stop now, I'm not arguing over it, people do know the truth. Now please stop spamming the Yoshi boards.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
This thread makes me lol, lolz. ^___^

auroreon

Smash Ace
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll bear it all in mind next time I play a zelda... hopefully with enough practice I should get the hang of fighting her.

Top Bottom