• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

zelda is hard to draw

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
ok... so i'm trying to draw a really cool picture of zelda and scan it, color it... make it pretty awesome.

but... zelda is really hard to draw. i began drawing zelda in physics class today, and it was going so bad that i just started drawing zss again, because she's so much easier to draw.........

i'm going to post a couple zelda images in this thread so i can keep 'em in one place for reference, and then eventually post the products of my work.

i wish there were more side-views of zelda... =\... oh well, what can ya' do, eh?

ok. here's my first draft/first attempt. i don't really plan on using this pose for the final... this is essentially just a basic side-view for reference etc.

it totally does NOT do justice to the sketch, but here is the colored version:

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
You could always try her Final Smash picture. The one with the close up of her face.
I find Zelda's face VERY hard to draw. I have no idea why. I like to capture her perfect beauty, anything less is horrible to me.

I draw/ Paint Zelda A LOT. I love it. I spend most of my portfolio class drawing Zelda. I must have over 30 large Zelda pieces in my folder.

I have a Zelda painting on my wall in fact. In the middle of it. With Zelda's hair flowing in the wind, and the end of the hair flowing around the triforce of wisdom.

I suggest her Official Brawl art work. I found it the easiest of Zelda pics to draw. =]
I look forward to seeing your work.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
You could always try her Final Smash picture. The one with the close up of her face.
I find Zelda's face VERY hard to draw. I have no idea why. I like to capture her perfect beauty, anything less is horrible to me.

I draw/ Paint Zelda A LOT. I love it. I spend most of my portfolio class drawing Zelda. I must have over 30 large Zelda pieces in my folder.

I have a Zelda painting on my wall in fact. In the middle of it. With Zelda's hair flowing in the wind, and the end of the hair flowing around the triforce of wisdom.

I suggest her Official Brawl art work. I found it the easiest of Zelda pics to draw. =]
I look forward to seeing your work.
well, i have one attempt done... but i plan on doing one or two more complete perspectives (3/4 and front) before i start drawing "the real thing". i want this to be a really cool image... so...

i'm also going to practice coloring... because i really suck at that and need practice.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
I like the way you draw heads. The hair, nose, and chin already look very nice.
I like your style. It's very nice. I was looking at your art thread ^^

blueriku

Smash Journeyman
OMG IM NOT ALONE, i tryed drawing zelda to, and scrap it and im currently redrawing her but i found a easier way to draw her (well im my sense), but if you dont mind can i post my work in here too? it might be done tonight. also just like soluble toast said its a lot easier using official pics of zelda also some brawl pics off the dojo and some other actual tp pics helps too for the dress design at the bottom. well thats my 2 cents worth of tips i hope its useful to you.

Luthien

Smash Ace
The thing that I personally despise drawing most is the bottom of the dress. With an image of poor resolution, it takes me a lot of guess work.

But I also hate the shape of the face (always wrong just enough to bug me), the eyes (I almost always draw them wrong), the shoulder blades (which should impale her breasts everytime she moves her arms forward), and the hips. I almost always make her look fat. Here's an old Melee one of mine, though (no photoshop, so no colour):

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/Luthien_Nightingale/ZeldaMeleeScan1.jpg

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
But I also hate the shape of the face (always wrong just enough to bug me), the eyes (I almost always draw them wrong), the shoulder blades (which should impale her breasts everytime she moves her arms forward), and the hips. I almost always make her look fat. Here's an old Melee one of mine, though (no photoshop, so no colour):
Gotta admit. The proportion of her face is always something I spend a good deal of time on. It seems to be quite difficult to fit the proportion of the head with the tiara, and hair.

I could probably post a pic of the painting in my room, but this isn't the thread to do it, and it isn't the best painting I've painted of Zelda x[
Somebody should create a Zelda art thread x]

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Gotta admit. The proportion of her face is always something I spend a good deal of time on. It seems to be quite difficult to fit the proportion of the head with the tiara, and hair.

I could probably post a pic of the painting in my room, but this isn't the thread to do it, and it isn't the best painting I've painted of Zelda x[

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
XD nice triple post!

:p

anyway, drawing characters is how i make up for being bad at smash. i mean, i can hold my own in "very hard" in melee... but i'm not "good"....

so i really, REALLY wanna make up for zelda by drawing an awesome picture... because i draw samus all the time, so i already made up on her behalf. *weird logic*

i already see some mistakes i've made... shoulder should be back more, hair is braided rather than wrapped (which is what i did in my pic), i forgot to do the bottom of the dress...

-spAzn-

Smash Journeyman
Woah! Soluble Toast, triple post. :laugh:

Anyway yes I agree, I find Zelda incredibly hard to draw. She has way to much detail it's such a pain. Something about her face makes it difficult as well not to sure what it is. Maybe because I just suck at drawing faces. Though i'm looking forward to seeing some of your work. I'm always a sucker for awesome artwork.

Luthien

Smash Ace
i already see some mistakes i've made... shoulder should be back more, hair is braided rather than wrapped (which is what i did in my pic), i forgot to do the bottom of the dress...
You also might want want to fix her tiara. You forgot either the part that holds the gem or the little bull-horns. Also, Zelda's back isn't straight; she's a proud gal. Her back ought to be parallel with her braid, no? Sorry, I'm being really picky. It's still a good drawing! :)

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
You also might want want to fix her tiara. You forgot either the part that holds the gem or the little bull-horns. Also, Zelda's back isn't straight; she's a proud gal. Her back ought to be parallel with her braid, no? Sorry, I'm being really picky. It's still a good drawing! :)
yeah i didn't want to spend to much time on the tiara because it's only a draft... but the whole thing with the back is the fault of her shoulder being screwed up. if i fixed her shoulder, her back would fix along with it.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
*edit* i cleaned it up considerably (though not really thoroughly) and added color.

it's quite the hack-job, but it's not meant to be particularly amazing. it's just practice.

note-worthy: i had to scrap the designs "cloth" thing... sorry about that... but it was too difficult to clean up. obviously i will be doing the final thing on un-lined paper...

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
ok... i've drawn the basis for rough draft two, but i've been really busy, so i won't be able to finish or upload for a while.... plus i now *suddenly* have to draw a monochromatic image of "romans" for my latin competition...

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Haha. Sorry about that triple post xD
My internet went crazy.

=S
I think you captured the hair nicely. Looks nice. I'd maybe make the 2 braids at the front a little longer. They seem to go just below her breasts normally. The dress could also be flowing a little at the back to add life to it ^^

ery nice though. You captured her face well. I always seem to make her look more Asian than she should.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Haha. Sorry about that triple post xD
My internet went crazy.

=S
I think you captured the hair nicely. Looks nice. I'd maybe make the 2 braids at the front a little longer. They seem to go just below her breasts normally. The dress could also be flowing a little at the back to add life to it ^^

ery nice though. You captured her face well. I always seem to make her look more Asian than she should.
wow you're right, she does look too asian. =\

oh well

thanks for the tips!

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Nooo, she looks fine :O
Was just saying I tend to make her look Asian xD I also tend to make her head a tad too small. Her head is such an akward part of her to draw xP

No problem. I love Zelda art ^^

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Nooo, she looks fine :O
Was just saying I tend to make her look Asian xD I also tend to make her head a tad too small. Her head is such an akward part of her to draw xP

No problem. I love Zelda art ^^
wow *is ultra dyslexic*

i still could make her less asian, though. also could have made her dress longer. she IS a tall princess.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Hm. I'm not sure about the dress. It looks right to me.

I find it very hard not to make Zelda not look Asian. Could possibly the Anime eyes =S

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/Des04/DSC00012.jpg

I can never get eyes right. They always seem to look strange.
Tiara needs work, Shoulder-pads need detail, and the necklace thing needs to be added, but an idea of how asian I make her look xD.

What kind of final piece are you going for? =]

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Hm. I'm not sure about the dress. It looks right to me.

I find it very hard not to make Zelda not look Asian. Could possibly the Anime eyes =S

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/Des04/DSC00012.jpg

I can never get eyes right. They always seem to look strange.
Tiara needs work, Shoulder-pads need detail, and the necklace thing needs to be added, but an idea of how asian I make her look xD.

What kind of final piece are you going for? =]
hmmm yours looks much more european than mine XD. oh and i'm thinking it's the slant of the eyes and eyebrows... mostly the eyebrows, though.

i have no idea! XD i was thinking about drawing her doing an attack... but it doesn't seem so zelda to me. i think i'll go for that whole "ooh i looked up from my praying"... or maybe some weird combination. i can see lots of cool-looking poses in my head, including a pretty humorously samus-esque crouch that would look surprisingly awesome :p

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
Hm..I like your style, it's very...clean and smooth.

Overall, it's rather good, not gonna lie. Some tips to maybe make her more 'princess' like though, is maybe give her lips..hrm..something. I can't really explain it, they are just very..bare.

Also, if you're going for her brawl design (just assuming cause it's 10x better) I'd suggest giving her Slightly bigger breasts in the final design. Not big or anything, just..a little more. It IS a profile shot after all, and it's where they stick out the most.

All in all though, great stuff, I'll look for the finished thing.

Top Bottom