• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Zelda glitch speedrun thread

Sheck

Smash Cadet
Anyone else speedrun Zeldas using glitches? I figured on the off chance that anyone else does, we could use this thread to discuss strategies and give each other tips. If you've never tried this stuff, give it a shot; it's really, really fun, can refresh your interest in the old games, and makes the games more technical and difficult. It's kinda like learning how to wavedash/moonwalk/L-Cancel in Melee (except L-cancelling isn't really a glitch).

I just started up with Majora's Mask about a week ago, stuck on trying to pause buffer an ISG on Snowhead, but I've got the bomb hovering through fairy fountains and stuff down.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, check this video out (it starts getting good around the 30 minute mark):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6toqM0zotwk

And this site will help if you wanna get into it:
http://zeldaspeedruns.com/

There are a few people in smash who do it. I prefer OoT over majora's mask. Then again, the ease of bomb hover in MM is always tempting.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I can't get into speedrunning without some sort of competitive factor going on. And practicing OoT to try to get the world record isn't realistic enough to be competitive.

You should post your times! That'd be a good idea.

Sheck

Smash Cadet
There are a few people in smash who do it. I prefer OoT over majora's mask. Then again, the ease of bomb hover in MM is always tempting.
Yeah, I haven't started OoT yet as I've heard it's way harder, but I'm gonna after I can string together a whole run of MM. Also MM is just my favorite Zelda and I wanted to do it first.

No times yet, I'm trying to practice the whole thing in the sequence most speedrunners do it. I'll probably never be competitive in times, I just kind of saw some runners and was like, "OH **** I NEED TO DO THAT."

I'm having a lot of trouble pause buffering an ISG right now, which I need to do to get into Snowhead.

The fastest OoT attempt I had was about 3hr 50min.
I pretty much did the full game in a way.

-Sword/Shield
-deku tree skulltula clip and finish as normal
-Obtain Zelda's Lullaby and one skulltula at the castle
-collect sun song/hylian shield and 4 skulltula's from kakariko
-Through the goron path to get saria's song and return for bracelets
-ground jump part of dodongo's cavern and complete as normal
-go up death mt for magic
-head to lake hylia for the golden scale through a glitch, grab the bottle and head to zora's domain via shortcut
-get into jabu with the jumpslash and complete the place as normal obtaining 3 skulltulas
-head to lon-lon for epona's song and two more skulltulas
-grab the adult wallet from the 10 skulltulas
-glitch into the well getting lens of truth and 200 rupees and bombchus
-purchase 30 bombchus and dins fire and become an adult

Shadow Temple
-get the hookshot and bomb hover into the shadow temple
-grab the hover boots and clip through a metal grating at the boat
-get the bosskey and bombhover to the boss door and finish

Desert
-should have 70 rupees to get epona by now
-jump across the gorge and finish the geruodo's fortress
-get to the desert and grab nayru's love
-get into the colossus and glitch past the stone block
-finish like normal, and use a damaging attack to get the boss key from the fire.

RBA
-get cojiro for the RBA of a quiver
-get light arrows and glitch past the stone for the double defense
-skip ganon's trials and beat him up as usual

I recently figure out how to get the stupid DoT skip after a long while. So, working on another route I want to take.

Now, did you do the fountain wrap and your trying to get into the dungeon with the goron still there?

Sheck

Smash Cadet
Now, did you do the fountain wrap and your trying to get into the dungeon with the goron still there?
Yep. I can't get a buffered ISG to work before I get blown off. I need to take a few hours to practice that, but my problem is I can't figure out how people are picking up bombs they shield-dropped. When I shield drop it, my A button doesn't say "Grab" as if the bomb isn't far enough in front of me.

Try L-target with the bomb held and walk back a bit before dropping with shield. Might give you a little more distance you need.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
Yep. I can't get a buffered ISG to work before I get blown off. I need to take a few hours to practice that, but my problem is I can't figure out how people are picking up bombs they shield-dropped. When I shield drop it, my A button doesn't say "Grab" as if the bomb isn't far enough in front of me.
you need to shield drop the bomb and wait until Link is fully crouching with his shield out (and the bomb should be near the floor) before you stab. the wind actually blows you the tiny bit backwards so you can grab the bomb for ISG. make sure Link is facing towards the camera too

Svvagcube

Smash Cadet
I can't get into speedrunning without some sort of competitive factor going on. And practicing OoT to try to get the world record isn't realistic enough to be competitive.

You should post your times! That'd be a good idea.
No need to aim for something like the world record from the beginning on..
I mean work your way up the ranks, try to improve your time and don't compare yourself to others that much.

R h y m e

Smash Apprentice
I always speedrun Zelda games (and games in general) with glitches after I finish them. Have you checked out ZSR?

Sheck

Smash Cadet
you need to shield drop the bomb and wait until Link is fully crouching with his shield out (and the bomb should be near the floor) before you stab. the wind actually blows you the tiny bit backwards so you can grab the bomb for ISG. make sure Link is facing towards the camera too
Ah okay. I'll try that out the next time I play. Pause buffering in general is really weird, I either advance zero frames or way too many. Does it just take practice to get the rhythm down, or are there any techniques or methods that you know of?

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for this particular speedrun I'll be attempting in OoT.

I only set these restrictions: No bottle adventure and collect the fewest things possible.

-Collect 40 rupees for sword and shield.
-Kokiri Forest skip and receive fairy ocarina.
-Head to Hyrule Castle.
-Get the egg and hatch.
-Receive Zelda's Letter and Zelda's Lullaby.
-Head up death mountain opening up the room to Darunia for a deku stick.
-Light torches for Lost Woods shortcut to receive Saria's Song.
-Get Bracelets from Darunia.
-Get back to kakariko village and glitch into the well.
-Get the 10 bombchus that are down here.
-Head to the temple of time to perform the DoT skip.

As adult link,
-head to kakariko village and head into dodongos cavern.
-recieve the bomb bag and get out of there.
-head up death mountain to see the great fairy for magic.
-Return to kakariko and into the graveyard for the hookshot.
-Save and reset game and head to the forest temple via normal entrance.
-Go through as normal and receive the fairy bow.
-Reset twice to get out of dungeon and to get back to the temple of time.

-Go to the graveyard.
-Use the chus to get into the unloaded shadow temple entrance.

In the shadow Temple,
-grab the hover boots
-get a key in the room on the left from the first beamos
-drop through the floor in said room to the ship.
-clip past the grating and ride the ship
-grab the boss key.
-beat up the boss.

Head to the gerudo Valley,
-get across the bridge with a superslide and hover boots.
-save the carpenters for the membership.
-get into the colossus without the lens of truth.
-In the spirit temple, skip the silver block with the hover boots
-complete as normal getting mirror shield, etc.

-save and reset
-receive light arrows upon the game starting up
-go to ganons castle,
-skip the trials,
-finish as normal

Sheck

Smash Cadet
Oh Jesus Christ, I just realized you're Cosmo. :surprised: Thank you for the help!

Just watched your OoT run from the same cancer drive. Amazing as hell, I wanna try OoT after I finish MM. I don't actually own an N64, I've been practicing in my friend's room. Do all of these glitches work on virtual console? Are they easier to do with a GC controller?

TimpZ

Smash Cadet
The N64 is usually better glitchwise because of the simple fact that ESS's are much easier. The GC-controller have a much larger dead zone and thus a smaller region which allows for ESSing. Also, you have to press down the L/R's the whole way which in some few instances may screw you. But pretty much only if you have a worn controller.

Any glitch you can do on a 1.2 N64 cart can be done on VC since it's pretty much a direct port. I'm not shure of the exact differences but because of the hardware on wii, there's less lag and less likeliness for a crash in some instances. Also bombchu hovering works oob in OoT VC.

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
I remember first checking out the speedrun for these games because I had played them so many times and thought I was pretty damn good/fast at playing them. Then I saw the time at around 1-2 hours and was like what the hell is this? I learned most of the glitches so I could mess around/do what I wanted but never got good at actually speedrunning (never got the hang of supersliding). These games are crazy though.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
The biggest difference between OoT on N64 and VC is the ESS position being harder on VC, and deku stick B on N64 crashing the game. VC has less lag overall. Also OoB hovering but that isn't really done much except for special challenges

Lovage

Smash Hero
ess ain't so bad on gamecube controller, definitely a bit harder, but i would still recommend the VC version over n64 just because the huge lag reductions make it way easier to do tricks imo (esp. PAUSE BUFFER SETUPS which are so gay on n64)

edit: sup cosmo you my dogggg

edit: hey this is the zelda speedrun thread, check out the segmented child dungeons i made that i'm prolly never gonna end up finishing LOL!

they're actually pretty tight, child dungeons is the ****

part 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ycE_ww5WwI
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ay1X-TSX4c&feature=related

I didn't know about that route at all. Looks like it shaves off a couple minutes having to avoid the cutscene for the fairy ocarina.

Lovage

Smash Hero
yea the new child dungeons route (new = like 8 months old) is pretty sick. pretty tough to run because you're limited in bombchus. if you mess 1 bombchu trick up you gotta reset the game. not as hard as MST but a fun intro to speedrunning zelda

Top Bottom