• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Fanbase

Mediator

Smash Journeyman
How big exactly is the Zelda fan base?

I know allot of people who play the legend of Zelda games only like to play as link.
So if you had to guess how big of a fan base Zelda had what would you guess.

also what moved Sakurai to put Zelda in Melee and in Brawl

and did Zelda in melee contribute to her fan base?

and one more thing!

If you had to choose between a zelda/sheik transformation or just have Zelda and sheik be a separate char. which would you choose?

Im undecided at this point im like eh:dizzy:

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
Because sheik brought Zelda down in melee and sheik is an obsolute char now, i definately want Sheik a seperate char but im anticipating a letdown, if they MUST be attatched, let them be like Zamus Samus, by FS, because Samus seems just fine even though she transforms by FS.

Zelda is in melee and in brawl because shes usually the 2nd most important character in the game, 1st bieng link, that is if he counts as a character. Also the games are named after her :p. There are exceptions but, other than in TP where midna took some of Zelda's roles, the games about hyrules story arc and not detours surround Zelda and Link's interaction.

Zelda sucked in melee so i don't think that would have helped her fanbase, but then again some found her useful and/or liked her character.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
Well I love the Legend of Zelda games, and, while you mention that those who play those games only like to play as Link, I ask - where has there been a choice to play between Link or Zelda? There's no saying how she would play in such a game, anyway.

I'm saying that Sakurai put her in Melee and Brawl because a) more characters = good! and b) not many female characters, and Zelda is an obvious choice for some female representation, being a prominent female in a popular Nintendo game (the games are named after her).

I think that even though she "sucked" in Melee, it probably did contribute to her fanbase because at least she did get to be more offensive, and also I think it's easier to like a video game character when you get to assume their role through gameplay.

I would prefer Zelda and Sheik to be separate characters. I did not like to play as Sheik in Melee, so all she really did for me was eliminate a potential down+b move for Zelda. Also I would hope Zelda would be stronger and more viable a character if she weren't attached to Sheik. She would not need to be weaker because there'd be no concern of keeping the two characters "balanced" because they are dependent on each other.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Zelda was a playable character in some of the CD-i games... But then again that would support the "refusal to play as Zelda" crowd.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
"Sheik brought down Zelda in Melee"

I keep seeing this posted around here. What is this supposed to mean?
Sheik happened to be made with a great moveset and Zelda happened to be given a crappy one.
Do you honestly think Zelda would've been any different if Melee if she was a separate character?
The developers OBVIOUSLY weren't concerned with making everyone a good character. That's why characters like Bowser, Mewtwo, and Pichu were also crap.
The characters in Smash are given moves that reflect who they are.
They aren't meant to be balanced.
Even if Zelda and Sheik are separated in Brawl, it has been confirmed in screenshots and Jump Festa clips that she plays quite similar to how she does in Melee. In all likelihood, she will still suck.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Well. I wasn't and am not a big fan of Zelda games. But when searching for a character to use in Melee I just happened to pick Zelda after I seen a friend use her. When I seen her change into Sheik I was like "Awesome! Looks like a ninja!"

I mean to some of the real Zelda fans that may be an insult. But hey, I use her and main her in Melee.. And maybe continue to use her along side Krystal in Brawl.

-Onyx

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
"Sheik brought down Zelda in Melee"

I keep seeing this posted around here. What is this supposed to mean?
Sheik happened to be made with a great moveset and Zelda happened to be given a crappy one.
Do you honestly think Zelda would've been any different if Melee if she was a separate character?
The developers OBVIOUSLY weren't concerned with making everyone a good character. That's why characters like Bowser, Mewtwo, and Pichu were also crap.
The characters in Smash are given moves that reflect who they are.
They aren't meant to be balanced.
Even if Zelda and Sheik are separated in Brawl, it has been confirmed in screenshots and Jump Festa clips that she plays quite similar to how she does in Melee. In all likelihood, she will still suck.
The devs definately had some idea of balance in melee, but it wasn't very balanced b/c it was rushed and the devs didnt anticipate advanced techs.

zelda was DEFINATELY nerfed due to sheik, according to her trophy in melee, she was made weaker in certain areas and stronger in others, vice versa with sheik, so that together they make a complete character. Problem was that the areas zelda was weaker in were too large and sheik had very little weaknesses (so little that her moveset alone got her top tier). The game was rushed and the idea to have split character apparantly was done in the last minute since for most of pre SSBM , sheik was considered the only one in, not Zelda

I dont anticipate zelda sucking this time, since the devs wernt rushed and had more time to plan the game out. THe only char that seems too good so far is mario, because apparantly nintendo wanted to make sure that if 1 character had to be the best character, its going to be the face of nintendo.

Bowser was buffed, Fox was nerfed, Ike (if replacement of marth, likely since he is said to now play similar to Roy) nerfed in comparision to marth, mario was buffed, link was slightly buffed, samus now has to movesets and plays like her melee incarnation, Kirby was buffed, Pikachu was slightly buffed. If u see where I'm going, THEY ARE TRYING TO BALANCE THINGS.

and if you didn't play zelda much (you) , and watched the video, you wouldn't notice much different. But those who do note that all her moves come out faster , have larger hitboxes, and are less escapable. Im worried about her B moves since, as u said, jumpfesta goers said her dins fire sucked. Her up b still has amazing recovery though, AND is improved as it looks like it does damage at the destination. If you remember though, Sheik didn't have spectacular b moves other than one of her moves (the needles) too so, zelda can still be a good character. I think they made her b moves less than spectacular because unlike samus, she can transform at any time.

Mediator

Smash Journeyman
well the reason why im asking is b/c im trying to figure out why there keeping her move set and FS a big secret i mean hell she was updated before sonic, snake, and olimar and yet we know there move sets and we know sonic's and snakes FS and olimar's will prob. be updated next week. so what gives, why the wait?

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
to keep this new "twilight transformation" whatever it is, under wraps, because its almost like a new character. I have no idea why they kept the FS hidden though. the delay was probably also to tweak zelda's moves to get the transformation idea just right, and/or decide if zelda will have a transformation at all and who will the transformation be.

Top Bottom