• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Amiibo Growth Pains (Haaalp me)

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Alright, so a friend gave me a Zelda amiibo last night as a random gift, and while I never really made an attempt to get my hands on one, I was grateful. Besides, I'm all for another amiibo that I don't already have. I've never been a Zelda player, and honestly have never really even given her a second glance. However, I started looked at this new amiibo I have, and she's pretty dang cool. I got around to training her today, and to make sure I did the right stuff, I thoroughly analyzed the spec-TACULAR Zelda guide on the site. I'm pretty fascinated by Zelda, and I'm definitely gonna work on her and trying to make her competitively viable in my game.

(actual relevant stuff begins here)
Anyway, so I got around to training her, using all the strategies I could implement in the guide. Mostly mirror matches, I also threw in some matches with various other characters I'm decent with (DDD, DK, Bowser Jr., Bowser, Jigglypuff, Link, etc.) and she was doing really good. I mean, REALLY good.

But then, around level 40, she became addicted to meth up-smashes. Like literally, that's what she does. Grabs, upsmashes, and Din's Fire when her opponent is offstage. But onstage, it's almost ALL upsmashes. It's driving me insane. I rarely did upsmashes. I did a lot of grabs, and tried to combo into various aerials, with a minor in spacing with her specials. That was the game I was attempting to teach her. But now that is her addiction. She's in denial about it as well. I've probably played a good fifteen 3-stock matches with her since she capped out, and I didn't do a single freakin' upsmash. Still, no change. She never jumps. NEVER.

I guess what I'm asking from you is, am I alone? Did I just do crappy with Zelda? Or is this just a common thing? I know the Bowsers love side-B's, and I'm hoping this is just how it kind of is. If this DID happen to you, did you fix it? How did you? I really don't want to reset her, but if I will, I must. If you need more details, I can supply them.

TL;DR: My Zelda amiibo is just a living upsmash halp

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
She's trying to get back brawl glorious up-smash. Tell her it's over, now it's FW time.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Mine does this as well. I reset her and trained her in Zelda mirrors without using a single Usmash, not even on accident, and she still does it.

It's really annoying. Don't bother trying to fix it.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Mine actually doesnt use USmash very often at all, even when it would be very appropriate to do so. Instead she always short hops around occasionally tossing out nairs and fairs. On one hand she lands her lightning kicks with terrifying accuracy but on the other, she's literally short hopping as her means of moving around the stage which is really punishable. It seems like each amiibo develops it's own little quirks based on the training it's received.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Mine definitely uses usmash more often than it should as well. I've tried teaching her grab followups and that has been fruitless. She'll do the dthrow and stand there as the opponent gets away thereby doing the minimum amount of damage possible on a grab. The weird thing is, she's actually quite successful with her usmashes. They land most of the time and she gets kill with them instead of with moves that should actually be killing like FW which she never uses offensively (I'm not sure how Amiibos go about using moves OoS though). Don't worry about resetting her because she'll go back to using the same stuff. The Amiibos don't "learn" per se, rather, they seem to take the standard cpu programming and alter it slightly if they lose while using it and save the new configuration for future matches then alter that if they lose ad infinitum. It's a very slow process I believe.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
So you have to beat Zelda to death to make her stronger? I'm not gonna do that.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
That's an interesting discovery. I got my own Zelda amiibo not too long ago but I haven't had the chance to open her up and train her yet. I'm hoping to do it today, if not, then this weekend.

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
That's the first time I've heard of that. Mine has a pretty healthy diversity of attacks that she uses. This is a really big longshot, but my Zelda was never fed any items. Did you feed her any that may have caused this? (Unique items that increased her smash attacks, etc)

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
That's the first time I've heard of that. Mine has a pretty healthy diversity of attacks that she uses. This is a really big longshot, but my Zelda was never fed any items. Did you feed her any that may have caused this? (Unique items that increased her smash attacks, etc)
No, I keep my amiibos completely steroid-free.

Cattribal

Smash Rookie
Mine does the very same thing. Did you ever figure out a solution? I'm wondering if it's a habit she'll kick if I train her a bunch at 50.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Mine does the very same thing. Did you ever figure out a solution? I'm wondering if it's a habit she'll kick if I train her a bunch at 50.
I just kept up her training her past lvl 50 and she eventually did other stuff and really mastered her sweetspotting. She still upsmashes all day but they almost always hit and it's not nearly as often.

Just keep training and they should move past it.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
You can't really train amiibos anyway, it's kind of a waste of time. They just act like computers, except they are slightly better ? Yoshi's probably the dumbest amiibo ever, but then again Yoshi is pretty dumb in general.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
You can't really train amiibos anyway, it's kind of a waste of time. They just act like computers, except they are slightly better ? Yoshi's probably the dumbest amiibo ever, but then again Yoshi is pretty dumb in general.
I....... Beg to differ. It's self-learning AI, so there is a point. You honestly cannot argue that.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I suppose so, but my Zelda does everything like your Zelda does (well, she does spam a lot of forward and back aerials), except I never bothered training her, so I'm honestly not sure that it changes a lot.I also have two Bowser and two Peach, and they both use the exact same techniques, one Peach being very new while the other was the first I got.

I'm not convinced they learn strategies or that they pick up items if they see you do it because I never play with items on and when I do amiibo matches, they go for the items.

I'm not sold on the idea that you can actually 'train' them. Perhaps the training they refer to is the fact that they gain levels or abilities through the elements you feed them ?

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
hmmm this makes me afraid to train my Zeldiibo cause I don't want her to just usmash with terrifying accuracy lol. I want her to play like me.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
My Zeldiibo grabs too much... but only because I gave her the "Explosive Perfect Shield" effect (ridiculous on amiibos) which led me to using grabs on her a lot to not get blown up every five seconds trying to damage her.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
My Zeldiibo grabs too much... but only because I gave her the "Explosive Perfect Shield" effect (ridiculous on amiibos) which led me to using grabs on her a lot to not get blown up every five seconds trying to damage her.
E-explosive perfect shield?!

I've gotta see that in action on a fully leveled Amiibo! I can only imagine...

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
hmmm this makes me afraid to train my Zeldiibo cause I don't want her to just usmash with terrifying accuracy lol. I want her to play like me.
I do believe that they DO learn from your style a bit, picking up on little quirks and unique attriubutes in your style here and there. For example, my Dedede amiibo uses his gordos exactly like I do. (Of course, he is ignorant to comboing with them, but the initial throws themselves are spot-on.) However, he still deosn't play exactly like me. He does his own thing for the most part.

That's what I think is the really cool part. They're kind of like kids in a way. They'll pick up on the things they like and think will work the most, while also developing on their on little way of going about things. They will never play exactly as you do, but they definitely will take some inspiration from you.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
E-explosive perfect shield?!

I've gotta see that in action on a fully leveled Amiibo! I can only imagine...
I could send you a WiiU replay (I can't record it) containing rather egregious examples of me getting bodied by the exploding shield. Jab is blocked, take 22 damage. Critical hit triggers, take 70 damage from their perfect shield. Critical and Lifesteal proc at the same time? Rage quit.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I could send you a WiiU replay (I can't record it) containing rather egregious examples of me getting bodied by the exploding shield. Jab is blocked, take 22 damage. Critical hit triggers, take 70 damage from their perfect shield. Critical and Lifesteal proc at the same time? Rage quit.
I don't have a WiiU, unfortunately, so I can't, but those outcomes (That likely have happened too often.) sound hilarious. I'll just look it up / around for vids of it.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
At least yours tries to do something, mine likes to run off the edge and use Din's Fire.
Sadly she's still my best amiibo.

Crudedude

Smash Cadet
this is late but mine liked to spam up smash too but she has stopped once she learned I just had to sheild or fall away and punish her. however my amiibo likes to run away and past me at all without even striking me!!! So if anyone can help out with that do tell.

Crudedude

Smash Cadet
Zorldo sounds good my siblings named mine, MIDNA -_-. I would've name it Zena.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I named mine Zelda.
And I named my Sheik Not Zelda.

Hennet

Smash Cadet
NNID
hennetsims
My Zelda amiibo Picked up on some of my bad habits most notably side B when off the stage. Named her Sparkle.

Top Bottom