• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

zap jump for Toon link??? O.o Is this known? (Edit): I've given up reproducing it

Pezz570

Smash Cadet
Anyway, I was playing with my friend today at luigi's mansion when my friend appear to have perform an abnormally large second jump as toon link more than once. being a Lucas main, I recognized it as being somewhat similar to Lucas's zap jump, though not as significant.

A video of Lucas's zap jump can be seen at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGjNswHpHGU&feature=related
(It is the extremely high jump during the first few seconds of the video)

He noticed it too but said he was unaware of how he was doing it. Out of all the times I recall him performing it, I believe he had a bomb in his hand. whether or not this necessary for performing this jump, I am not sure. I don't recall him doing anything else while executing it.

Is this known? If not, I would like some help on reproducing the effects. I asked my friend if he could get a video, but that might be a problem since my friend does not know what he did (even though he did it more than once.)

comments, answers, anything please.

The following was added 6/2/08:

JUST A FEW MORE COMMENTS: If there turns out to be nothing to this, please don't hold it against me. I am just report what my friend and I thought we saw. Remember that I am wasting my time right now trying to figure this out by testing different things with TL. As of now, I have yet to find anything. My confidence in what I saw is beginning to dwindle.

The following was added 6/5/08:

I have given up on reproducing whatever happened, if something even happened at all. I will stay tooned in case anyone happens to find anything out.

PyroJet

Smash Apprentice
I've done this before more than once consecutively with the bow. The only problem is I turn around and shoot the bow while I get the extra boost. But yeah I know what he is talking about. I am going to go try with bombs now.

Pezz570

Smash Cadet
I've done this before more than once consecutively with the bow. The only problem is I turn around and shoot the bow while I get the extra boost. But yeah I know what he is talking about. I am going to go try with bombs now.
Exactly how do you do it?

Pezz570

Smash Cadet
tell me more! post a vid! sweet!
I'll do what I can. As I have already said my friend does not know exactly what he did so it may turn out to be difficult for him to get a video.

My friend, though decent and slightly better than me in smash, is not the best person when it comes to pulling off tricks like this (which could be a problem). On the other hand, I can pull off quite a few, though I am not the greatest at doing it. I may have to toy with TL myself.

Pezz570

Smash Cadet
I don't know what happened. I just spent like two hours of my life button mashing with TL in order to reproduce what my friend did. sometimes I think I did it but I wasn't sure because it was during a short hop. I'm thinking it might be related to to wave bouncing but there was no side movement. I don't know...sigh, I guess I'll try again tomorrow...

Pezz570

Smash Cadet
I think it has to do something with pulling out bombs....
that's what I was thinking but it didn't seem to work when I jumped at the same time. so, Either there is something else involved or maybe the bomb isn't nessary. If i recall correctly, my friend did it with the bomb already in his hand for at least once. right now, I am stumped.

Pezz570

Smash Cadet
What was your friends controller configuration? What controller was he using?
Should have mentioned that eariler... all he does is turn off the tap jump. so if this does invole some sort of wave bounce, in that configuration at least, it would have to be done the hard way.

Pezz570

Smash Cadet
I think I just came up with an idea. If a form of wave bouncing is the key here, then maybe you the trick to performing it, at least with the b stick, is this.

first, I'll fastfall and then follow it up by jumping while at the same time knocking the control stick up and the b stick down.

who knows it may work. I might want to construct a stage though that would be well suited for this.

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
This has happened to meh to, but it seems like a footstool jump on a shield with an immediate Bair for me.
Can you footstool on shields?
I'm almost 100% sure that footstool on a shield makes a ridiculously high jump.
Like, Sonic Spring high. Or slightly higher.
But it only happens when I immediately do a Bair when I double jump.

Eyesheild 21

Smash Rookie
yah i have done it before i b-stick with tl when you pull out a bomb hold down on the c-stick as soon as you down b

Pezz570

Smash Cadet
This has happened to meh to, but it seems like a footstool jump on a shield with an immediate Bair for me.
Can you footstool on shields?
I'm almost 100% sure that footstool on a shield makes a ridiculously high jump.
Like, Sonic Spring high. Or slightly higher.
But it only happens when I immediately do a Bair when I double jump.
That's not exactly what I meant, but sounds interesting... then again, I don't see much use for it considering that sheilds can't be done in midair which means that I could not be use for recovery. but interesting none the less.

Coselm

Smash Ace
idk what you are talking about... but sometimes I get super high second jumps. I have gotten phantom toadstool jumps where my opponent displays no change but I jump much higher.

Other than that, I'm stumped. if there is some kind of bomb super jump it would help TLs already ridiculous recovery

edit: wtf is zap jumping anyways?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
It is wavebouncing, just not with the c-stick. I do it all the time with arrows. It has mad mindgames and when u bowcancel with it you can hit with the arrow upclose and execute an Fsmash. I just figured most ppl knew how to wavebounce without the c-stick now.

Coselm

Smash Ace
Most people don't, and I don't understand how that is anything like getting an extra high jump or why they call it zap jumping.

samizdat

Smash Cadet
I was thinking about making a post about this, actually. I've done a lot of testing about the "manual wavebounce", and it's really easy with arrows. Better yet, you can do a retreating SHDA from standstill with it (I've never seen anyone do it in a video). Would anyone want me to write up a post about this?

Coselm

Smash Ace
I was thinking about making a post about this, actually. I've done a lot of testing about the "manual wavebounce", and it's really easy with arrows. Better yet, you can do a retreating SHDA from standstill with it (I've never seen anyone do it in a video). Would anyone want me to write up a post about this?
I think everyone here knows how to do it, but it is rather difficult to perform in a match, and its use is limited to basic mindgames. But please tell us what you have to say about it in case anyone else does not know.

Edit:

C-Stick Guide said:
Recoil Specials can be performed without B-Sticking, as well. They are a combination of the turnaround B and the B-Reversal. To do so, you first initiate a turnaround B by pressing Back on the Control Stick, then B. Next, before the move executes, you press forward again, performing a B-Reversal. This combination of these techniques results in your direction being reversed twice, leaving you facing the direction you originally were, and your momentum being reversed once, which is quite plainly a Recoil Special. The reasons why B-Sticking Backwards in the air results in a Recoil Special are a little unclear, but this is what is actually going on. B-Sticking provides an easier way to perform the Recoil Special, and offers more pronounced results in some cases.

Not every move gains backwards momentum with this technique. Eventually, I will compile a list of every move that experiences backwards momentum with the Recoil Special. Here is a list created by 3GOD that may not be 100% accurate, but does appear to be: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=166774
I'm pretty sure that is what you are talking about, but are you sure that's what a zap jump is? I'm pretty sure they are different. I can manual wavebounce sometimes and I don't get any extra vertical height from it, and the list in the quote says you cant do it with bombs and my tests indicate that no you cannot do it with bombs. Anyways, I really dont think wavebouncing has anything to do with this glitch jump people are talking about that I am starting to think is either random or fake.

PS I took that from the super awesome cistick guide.

Pezz570

Smash Cadet
Not to be rude or anything but I feel we are getting off topic. I started this thread because there may be a way to increase TL's recovery by performing a zap jump with TL. The boost he gets is VERTICAL, not horizontal.

For those who do not know, a zap jump is an advanced tech for Lucas. As far as i know, there has yet to be anyone who has discovered another character that can perform this tech. Now, unless my friend and I were just imagining it, TL appears to have a zap jump as well.

I repeat again that this jump is not as significant as Lucas's. the extra boost is slight but significant enough to notice. Again, I don't mean to be rude, but I would like to get back on track.

Please take into account that there is a chance that this tech has nothing to do with bombs at all. The reason I think that it might involve bombs is that each time he did it, which if my memory still serves me he performed it twice in one round, ther was a bomb in his hand. what troubles me is that I believe he was holding the bomb before the the jump was initiated.

NOTE: the bomb did not explode!

Remember, there is alway a chance that something else happened.

Anyone with information, ideas, or videos please come forth. If you feel like it, then send me a private message if you have something.

Let the discussion continue...

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
If it matters, you can footstool anything. shield, attacks, whatever. And if you footstool a character in the middle of an animation for an attack (such as Toon Links UP B) then you get the jump (which is high) and they have no effect.

The only proof I can provide for this is you to try it. Have your friend hang on the ledge, and jump off of him. Generally you can jump off of him about 5 or 6 times before you lose all momentum. He will be completely unaffected by your footstooling, but you get the jump.

EDIT:: I doubt it's a zap jump, the physics from lucas provide the significance, TL doesn't have the same effect from any one of his attacks, so I would explore some different options.

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
Oh crap it was just a normal footstool, I was looking over the video...
I almost went offscreen though...but it was a low-roof stage.
Disregard.

Pezz570

Smash Cadet
If it matters, you can footstool anything. shield, attacks, whatever. And if you footstool a character in the middle of an animation for an attack (such as Toon Links UP B) then you get the jump (which is high) and they have no effect.

The only proof I can provide for this is you to try it. Have your friend hang on the ledge, and jump off of him. Generally you can jump off of him about 5 or 6 times before you lose all momentum. He will be completely unaffected by your footstooling, but you get the jump.
Ok, agian... IT WAS NOT A FOOTSTOOL JUMP! thank you

Pezz570

Smash Cadet
GOOD NEWS!!! No, I have not been able to reproduce the zap jump TL, however it seems that at least one other person (besides my friend and me) knows of it. "Eyesheild 21" claims that he can perform it. Whether he is capable of doing it consisently or not, I am not sure. I've just pm him and asked if he can provide a video. He has yet to reply back.

How Eyesheild 21 says it's done.
As I originally suspected, the trick is to pull the bomb out as TL performs his second jump. According to him, this zap jump is more difficult to pull off than Lucas's. This leads me to believe that timing is key.

I'm going to attempt this in training mode by slowing down the frame rate. We'll see what happens.

Pezz570

Smash Cadet
I have given up on reproducing whatever happened, if something even happened at all. I have tryed everything that i could think of and I have nothing. oh well... I will stay tooned in case anyone happens to find anything out.

Top Bottom