• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Z-Shielding > Normal Shielding w/ Samus

Corigames

Smash Hero
Do you mean light shield or holding Z down after a missed grab to put up a light shield?

Elaborate.

Tyser

Smash Champion
Z-Shielding? This aint Brawl, we cant adjust our controllers. Brawl is horrible also. If you play it, you should stop right about now.

Corigames

Smash Hero
IF he really is talking about Brawl, then this is the second time he has posted in the wrong place >_>

You are suppose to LEARN from mistakes.

Bil

Smash Ace
Tyser you didn't know that you could shield using Z? Yes coreygames I do mean lightshielding after a move.

For instance you can do a spotdodge -> dsmash -> perfect lightshield without having to adjust it with R/L.

Not to mention Wavedashing OoS with this is SUPER easy for people who only use R(like me). I have my middle finger on R and my index finger on Z, and I move my index finger on to X to do Fullhop Double Missiles.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Eh, I'm not a huge fan of light shielding. It knocks you away from your opponent, which is bad for me since I like to come out of my shield doing stuff.

The Alpha Gundam

Smash Champion
I been messing around with Lightshielding a lot more lately and been thinking *when would it be a good time to lightshield vs normal shield* well as of right now i came up with 2 Scenarios for this.

A: On a platform. This could help when trying to get back on the ground when being pressured from chars like marth or CF *if they hit your shield you most fall off the platform and hit the ground*

B: Near the ledge. Your getting up and marth is looking for a F smash so instead of spot dodging *which marth is probably looking for* you can lightshield and it should knock you to the ledge wear you ummmm XD i don't know but its better than feeling dumb cause you spot dodge into why the **** did i caught a tipper smash
feel free to agree or disagree i don't care just throw some input

Forcystus

Smash Apprentice
your A-situation isn't bad, it's a good solution in my opinion, only in B I would just use my normal shield, why would you want to grab the ledge?

Mars-

Smash Champion
Spot dodge to light shield. LOL.

How about for the next thread you make you suggest rolling.

Rat

Smash Lord
Yeah I'm starting to apply Z-shielding. The results are pretty good.

Regular shielding is great if you intend to Up-B out of shield. But that's only **** against Characters with Nair-like approaches, and people who can't space.

But being pushed away can be good. You get out of their Jab follow-ups, allowing you to WD oos without risk. If they anticipate shielding, Light-shielding changes the Field of Play and may mess-up their follow-ups.

(Side note: has anyone practiced/applied Smash-DIing during shield lag? Like to move closer in order to Up-B successfully?)

One thing I thought was nifty:
You can switch to Z shielding during shield stun. =)

Geist

Smash Master
(Side note: has anyone practiced/applied Smash-DIing during shield lag? Like to move closer in order to Up-B successfully?)
I've used it to get out of shine infinites against stadium and stuff like that a few times, but I never thought of using it like that.
So is there any special advantage of using z to shield instead of pressing r/l down lightly? I naturally light shield that way.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Yeah I'm starting to apply Z-shielding. The results are pretty good.

Regular shielding is great if you intend to Up-B out of shield. But that's only **** against Characters with Nair-like approaches, and people who can't space.

But being pushed away can be good. You get out of their Jab follow-ups, allowing you to WD oos without risk. If they anticipate shielding, Light-shielding changes the Field of Play and may mess-up their follow-ups.

One thing I thought was nifty:
You can switch to Z shielding during shield stun. =)
Yeah I know, cause you can't just lightly press your shield instead.

Top Bottom