• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YouTube's REAL issue (From someone who's been on there for 8 years)

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
YouTube has started sense 2005, but I haven't noticed it sense 2007. For 9 years I have noticed an entire site that I am very passionate about change into the worst yet popular place on the internet. I'm not saying this as a way of attention or to cause "YouTube Drama" which is mostly bull**** in my opinion. But I'm merely saying this as a small attempt at bringing attention to the true issue of the site. It's not faulty copyright claims nor the "issue" of YouTube Drama. But something I believe is irreversible and is too late to fix.

This site has gotten too big for it's own good. Let me take you on a history lesson. I discovered this site in 2007 when me and my sister were looking at random, funny videos like Salad Fingers & Charlie the Unicorn. A year later when I was 12 I figured out I could make my own account on the site and make my own videos on there. It was a big passion of mine, even when I was a child. When I was in the single digits of life I used to "borrow" my grandmothers camera to make silly little skits and videos (unfortunately none of them are available sense they all burnt up in a house fire) but that's when my creative fuse started. In Intermediate school I made a small comic called Ultra-Z. Even when I was that little I was trying so hard to be as creative as possible. Then I made a Youtube account called Jetray102. It was something magical to me, even if I had no idea on how to use it (I actually thought the "Upload" button was about using someone else's content so I used a site called Onetruemedia.com which is now shut down) In 2012 my mom deleted the email connected to my YouTube account (unknowingly) I was upset but my sister's friend at the time let me used her email to make a new account called Jetray103. 2 Years later I wanted to start fresh so, inspired by the recent boom of horror in 2012 and the Creepypasta character Slender Man, I created GothicSlenderman; so far my most successful creation. I'm still using it even after 4 years. I also recently announced that I'm starting a new account for original, story driven content call Hotel Room CIII (Formerly GothicWolfTail) But that's when I realized how bad YouTube has become!

When YouTube first started in 2008 it's publicity system was based on views (IF you're video got a lot views then it would have a bigger chance of getting noticed.) But in 2011 they changed it to "Minutes watch" & "Upload frequency" Which basically means you had to upload a 10 minute video everyday to stand a chance in YouTube (Nowadays it's a 30 minute video 3 times a day) This of course started a shift on the site. Pre-existing YouTubers had to adapt and new YouTubers had to find a way to get noticed. Thus Let's Playing was born. Now, this existed before hand (as Walkthroughs) But it quickly exploded when Pewdiepie & Markiplier started playing games like Slender & Amnesia: The Dark Decent. This also started the big boom of horror and the discovery of Creepypasta. But then there were too many let's players to even count! KSI, Jacksepticeye, Cryaotic, Lsshadowlady, Mangaminx, cinnamontoastken, ect. And the pre-existing YouTubers became desprite! Smosh now has to create "behind the scenes" videos for almost everything they create, Fred up and sold his account, Annoy Orange now has a weekly schedule (INCLUDING A LET'S PLAY SEGMENT) & some others had to make side channels for Let's Plays. Makeebad35 -> Pwnageshow, Tobuscus -> Toby Plays, ect. Then came reaction videos (they existed before but not like this) These current "Reactors" now steal other people's content, without permission, and show the full video with little to no reaction (despite being called REACTION CHANNELS), and taking the monetization. Now you may be thinking "People watch what they want to watch" and that's true; YouTube is not a random button which sends you to MrNobody's videos. But what these people who use that argument don't realize is that most of the videos that get in their recommended section or highly rated section are ONLY videos that get over 10,000 views (something very difficult for new users) YouTube now is like a faulty restaurant menu. You go in and that give you the menu, but the menu only has 1/5 of what's really available (and this is the first time you're at the place and they neglect to tell you that you're missing most of the menu) YouTube IS that faulty restaurant menu.

They're literally dozens, if not hundreds, of YouTubers who now haze over 1 million subs, even if they do not deserve it and just abuse the new "publicity system". It's really not fair for new users, especially when company's like Disney, Warner Bros & Universal are now putting their TV Shows & Movies on YouTube to be payed for. How can a new channel compete with an already successful movie or TV Show? Most animators, skit directors & indie film directors stand almost no chance on the site. But don't worry, there is a way to get noticed even if you don't upload videos every day. Just parody something that's currently popular! Like all of the YouTubers who make videos on Five Nights at Freddy's, Undertale or something currently relevant. Every wonder why piemations or Grim TV got noticed? While David Firth (The creator of Salad Fingers till has only 1/2 million subs) or Eddsworld JUST got to a million? Also If it really is the "We watch what we want to watch" thing, then how come users like I Hate Everything, Rebeltaxi or Jordan Underneath haven't made 1Million subs despite the years they've been on YouTube and Jinx the Reactor (One of the most hated YouTubers) got over 1Million subs in over a few months? It's not that stupid "We watch what we want to watch thing"! It's that you watch what's popular and think you have full control, when really you don't.

And about this "YouTube Drama" thing. It's just like the who Kim Kardashian or "Nikki Minaj vs. Miley Cyrus" ****. No one should care about it. But at this point, too many people idolize YouTubers to see what kind of site YouTube was meant to be. The Toby Turner pedophile allegations, Keemstar, Leafyishere, I've just about had enough of it. At this point YouTube is not a creative site any more. It's more of a running track to see who can make the longest content the fastest while relying on popular subjects and making other people trip on the track. It really isn't fair. False copyright claims and YouTube "Drama" should be the least of our worries at this point. But is there anyway to reverse this? No, it's too late. This site has gotten too big for it's own good. And there is no way to reverse the effects unless someone makes an equally good video uploading site to rival YouTube. But for the past 11 years, Yahoo, Zippcast & Dailymotion have been unable to do that. I don't even take this site as seriously as I did back then. I see no point in being creative any more. Who knows, maybe DeviantArt & Tumblr could be next. Greed is the route of this problem. Greed of subs, greed of monetization, when this site is meant to be a place where people are allowed to share their creative thoughts. But It's not like that any more. That's why I considered leaving this ****ed up place I used to love. But I don't know how to. Videos are one of the only ways I figured out how to express myself. But I can't do that when there are reactors, let's players & Tv shows ALWAYS over shadowing me, even though I've been on this site most likely 3 times longer than them. But I've gotten almost nothing despite how hard I've worked on my series & characters. At this point, I have no idea on what I'm even doing when this system is so broken and no one really realizes it. I'm not saying I deserve more than anyone. I just wish there was a better balance. That's all I ask. And that's why I'm leaving. I can't do this any more. There's no reason to really try when the effort I put in my work and characters means nothing to the rest of the world and some guy who plays an Amnesia mod gets more attention for faking a few screams.

I want to fill my passion through my webcomic "Alice Darksin" and literature. I don't care how "unpopular" I become. I just wanted a healthy way to express myself.

This dark time came at the worst time. I have no money, I have a job that barely pays or gives me a proper schedule, I have to live with my family despite the fact I was living on my own for about a year. I don't need the bias and unbalanced views of this site any more. All I wanted was a release of creativity.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
YouTube has started sense 2005, but I haven't noticed it sense 2007. For 9 years I have noticed an entire site that I am very passionate about change into the worst yet popular place on the internet. I'm not saying this as a way of attention or to cause "YouTube Drama" which is mostly bull**** in my opinion. But I'm merely saying this as a small attempt at bringing attention to the true issue of the site. It's not faulty copyright claims nor the "issue" of YouTube Drama. But something I believe is irreversible and is too late to fix.

This site has gotten too big for it's own good. Let me take you on a history lesson. I discovered this site in 2007 when me and my sister were looking at random, funny videos like Salad Fingers & Charlie the Unicorn. A year later when I was 12 I figured out I could make my own account on the site and make my own videos on there. It was a big passion of mine, even when I was a child. When I was in the single digits of life I used to "borrow" my grandmothers camera to make silly little skits and videos (unfortunately none of them are available sense they all burnt up in a house fire) but that's when my creative fuse started. In Intermediate school I made a small comic called Ultra-Z. Even when I was that little I was trying so hard to be as creative as possible. Then I made a Youtube account called Jetray102. It was something magical to me, even if I had no idea on how to use it (I actually thought the "Upload" button was about using someone else's content so I used a site called Onetruemedia.com which is now shut down) In 2012 my mom deleted the email connected to my YouTube account (unknowingly) I was upset but my sister's friend at the time let me used her email to make a new account called Jetray103. 2 Years later I wanted to start fresh so, inspired by the recent boom of horror in 2012 and the Creepypasta character Slender Man, I created GothicSlenderman; so far my most successful creation. I'm still using it even after 4 years. I also recently announced that I'm starting a new account for original, story driven content call Hotel Room CIII (Formerly GothicWolfTail) But that's when I realized how bad YouTube has become!

When YouTube first started in 2008 it's publicity system was based on views (IF you're video got a lot views then it would have a bigger chance of getting noticed.) But in 2011 they changed it to "Minutes watch" & "Upload frequency" Which basically means you had to upload a 10 minute video everyday to stand a chance in YouTube (Nowadays it's a 30 minute video 3 times a day) This of course started a shift on the site. Pre-existing YouTubers had to adapt and new YouTubers had to find a way to get noticed. Thus Let's Playing was born. Now, this existed before hand (as Walkthroughs) But it quickly exploded when Pewdiepie & Markiplier started playing games like Slender & Amnesia: The Dark Decent. This also started the big boom of horror and the discovery of Creepypasta. But then there were too many let's players to even count! KSI, Jacksepticeye, Cryaotic, Lsshadowlady, Mangaminx, cinnamontoastken, ect. And the pre-existing YouTubers became desprite! Smosh now has to create "behind the scenes" videos for almost everything they create, Fred up and sold his account, Annoy Orange now has a weekly schedule (INCLUDING A LET'S PLAY SEGMENT) & some others had to make side channels for Let's Plays. Makeebad35 -> Pwnageshow, Tobuscus -> Toby Plays, ect. Then came reaction videos (they existed before but not like this) These current "Reactors" now steal other people's content, without permission, and show the full video with little to no reaction (despite being called REACTION CHANNELS), and taking the monetization. Now you may be thinking "People watch what they want to watch" and that's true; YouTube is not a random button which sends you to MrNobody's videos. But what these people who use that argument don't realize is that most of the videos that get in their recommended section or highly rated section are ONLY videos that get over 10,000 views (something very difficult for new users) YouTube now is like a faulty restaurant menu. You go in and that give you the menu, but the menu only has 1/5 of what's really available (and this is the first time you're at the place and they neglect to tell you that you're missing most of the menu) YouTube IS that faulty restaurant menu.

They're literally dozens, if not hundreds, of YouTubers who now haze over 1 million subs, even if they do not deserve it and just abuse the new "publicity system". It's really not fair for new users, especially when company's like Disney, Warner Bros & Universal are now putting their TV Shows & Movies on YouTube to be payed for. How can a new channel compete with an already successful movie or TV Show? Most animators, skit directors & indie film directors stand almost no chance on the site. But don't worry, there is a way to get noticed even if you don't upload videos every day. Just parody something that's currently popular! Like all of the YouTubers who make videos on Five Nights at Freddy's, Undertale or something currently relevant. Every wonder why piemations or Grim TV got noticed? While David Firth (The creator of Salad Fingers till has only 1/2 million subs) or Eddsworld JUST got to a million? Also If it really is the "We watch what we want to watch" thing, then how come users like I Hate Everything, Rebeltaxi or Jordan Underneath haven't made 1Million subs despite the years they've been on YouTube and Jinx the Reactor (One of the most hated YouTubers) got over 1Million subs in over a few months? It's not that stupid "We watch what we want to watch thing"! It's that you watch what's popular and think you have full control, when really you don't.

And about this "YouTube Drama" thing. It's just like the who Kim Kardashian or "Nikki Minaj vs. Miley Cyrus" ****. No one should care about it. But at this point, too many people idolize YouTubers to see what kind of site YouTube was meant to be. The Toby Turner pedophile allegations, Keemstar, Leafyishere, I've just about had enough of it. At this point YouTube is not a creative site any more. It's more of a running track to see who can make the longest content the fastest while relying on popular subjects and making other people trip on the track. It really isn't fair. False copyright claims and YouTube "Drama" should be the least of our worries at this point. But is there anyway to reverse this? No, it's too late. This site has gotten too big for it's own good. And there is no way to reverse the effects unless someone makes an equally good video uploading site to rival YouTube. But for the past 11 years, Yahoo, Zippcast & Dailymotion have been unable to do that. I don't even take this site as seriously as I did back then. I see no point in being creative any more. Who knows, maybe DeviantArt & Tumblr could be next. Greed is the route of this problem. Greed of subs, greed of monetization, when this site is meant to be a place where people are allowed to share their creative thoughts. But It's not like that any more. That's why I considered leaving this ****ed up place I used to love. But I don't know how to. Videos are one of the only ways I figured out how to express myself. But I can't do that when there are reactors, let's players & Tv shows ALWAYS over shadowing me, even though I've been on this site most likely 3 times longer than them. But I've gotten almost nothing despite how hard I've worked on my series & characters. At this point, I have no idea on what I'm even doing when this system is so broken and no one really realizes it. I'm not saying I deserve more than anyone. I just wish there was a better balance. That's all I ask. And that's why I'm leaving. I can't do this any more. There's no reason to really try when the effort I put in my work and characters means nothing to the rest of the world and some guy who plays an Amnesia mod gets more attention for faking a few screams.

I want to fill my passion through my webcomic "Alice Darksin" and literature. I don't care how "unpopular" I become. I just wanted a healthy way to express myself.

This dark time came at the worst time. I have no money, I have a job that barely pays or gives me a proper schedule, I have to live with my family despite the fact I was living on my own for about a year. I don't need the bias and unbalanced views of this site any more. All I wanted was a release of creativity.
I hear ya, man. Not many people are "doing it for the art" as I like to say. The way to get big is to produce relatable and easy to digest content. That's why so many channels just get pushed under the rug, because they're "hard to get into" or "not relatable."

Filthy Frank, as much as I love him, is a huge offender of this. He's just been blowing up a whole bunch recently, and his channel grows super fast. It's because you don't need deep thought for his videos, you just watch and laugh at the weird **** he's doing. He has almost 3 million subs now. While somebody like BotanicSage, who puts a lot of work into making his mashups sound good and stay entertaining, has only 68,000 subs. But it's the fact that video game mashups just aren't relatable to a large audience.

Best friends play have 600,000 subs, PewDiePie has 46 million. The best friends started 1 year earlier. The reason why the best friends have way less is because the best friends have a bunch of in jokes that nobody will laugh at until they understand the context. Meanwhile PewDiePie... he's pretty self explanatory. He started with minecraft content, and since it was the hot thing at the time, he blew up right away.

/endrant

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
The constant belly-acheing from Let's Players is something that bothers me about YouTube. That's got to be one of the most comfortable revenue streams I've ever heard of, and yet they act like crucifixion victims every time they don't get 100% of their way, when the whole monetized Let's Play empire is built upon a gross violation of Fair Use in the first place.

Tell me: if you pirate HBO content and screen it for people for a profit that derives from automatically earned advertising, merchandise featuring HBO characters, and donations that exist to incentivize me to keep playing HBO content for money, would you get pissy if HBO came along and somehow saw fit to just take a minority portion of the income, or count yourself lucky that you haven't been kicked in the legal nuts for being well on the wrong side of the law?

Last edited:

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
I was being Rick rolled in youtube in 2006. Back then youtube was for only funny videos but now its business. I miss those days.

Also there was no ads back then as well.

20XXwingleborgXxx

Smash Apprentice

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman

Is this the new copypasta?

ScarletShepherd24M

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.22

I've been on youtube for about 5 years, but only started uploading at around 3 years ago. At this point, I've sorta given up on expecting anything big on my channel. My account is currently just a dumping ground for my twitch stream footage at this point. Even though I've only been streaming for a few days, I've somehow been able to get around twice my current sub count in followers. If I can only get 15 subs in about 3 years of uploading, but around 30 followers on twitch in just a few days(I know it doesn't sound impressive, but it means a lot to me). That's pretty much all the evidence I need to confirm to myself that youtube is no longer a reliable source for new content creators that don't wish to exploit the system. I don't know how much this might help you, but I honestly think you might stand a better chance if you go out and try to interact with those who view your channel. Give them a reason to spread your channel. Your channel might not blow up as a result, but you'll at least get a sense of satisfaction from helping and being a bit more proactive in the viewers' eyes.Certainly helped me when I made my transition into twitch streaming.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
YT became awdul the moment Google bought it. Publicly owned companies ruin everything they buy.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
YT became awful the moment Google bought it. Publicly owned companies ruin everything they buy.
I wanted to say "that's not true" and give some examples but then I realized that there are no examples of bigger companies not ruining the smaller ones, you're 100% correct.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I wanted to say "that's not true" and give some examples but then I realized that there are no examples of bigger companies not ruining the smaller ones, you're 100% correct.
And think about it like this, Steam is still privately owned. The quarterly report/shareholder system kills the spark of every company it touches.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374

These days, companies think that any publicity is good publicity for their own unessential needs and wants. I don't blame them; after all, they need to make money in order to strive in a fast-growing, competitive network of money necessitators.

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
I joined YT way back in the day as well - in April 2006

Just had a channel where I uploaded my Piano VG covers and skateboarding vids

One of my videos got 150,000 views in 2 days and YT contacted me to monetize it....Ah those were the days when that was extremely rare, you had to be specially invited to monetize videos..... and 150,000 views was basically 3 million in today's standards. Unfortunately that video got flagged as of 2 years ago for BS copyright even though it's my own original music I used for the background (another problem with Youtube.)

Anyways these days that's my only real issue is the massive amount of BS copyright strikes from BS companies that own nothing. It's a big exploitation racket, YT only has time for big YTers since they are so public. So much illegal activity takes place on YT, much like eBay they don't care since they make money either way.

I'm not salty about it though I can still manage to make a bonus $200+ a month of sheer passive income from the meager revenue cut Google tosses my way (it's ridiculous how many views you need to make a $1). But hey I haven't made a video in like 3 years and to still be able to have that residual income for such small effort is what's amazing about the internet these days. But it comes at a cost, you have to study SEO, you have to abuse the demographics of who's watching YT, and you can't make content like people used to in the old youtube era. I had to adapt to the content and length YT wants these days but I don't do click bait or abuse misleading thumbnails, that stuff is so dishonest and toxic to the site. Now a million views means nothing to me, someone has a million subscribers? Doesn't even impress or shock me anymore.

All this was inevitable though, anything that gets popular and has revenue attached to it will fall in line with other traditional media. The same as TV, "news" sites, etc they are all becoming pretty uncreative, derivative, and homogenized to make maximum profit and generate the most page views and clicks.

Oh and also.....the content Youtube Red is creating is embarrassing, it's amazing how bad a lot of it is. The caliber of material they have come up with sort of reflects how bad the company is at knowing it's own product.

Last edited:
Top Bottom