• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YouTube=Closet Trolling Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
The question here is the following:
Where does the power in YouTube lie?
I give my two cents below.

As a subscriber of YouTube for Two Years, I have seen the degradation of its service primarily by the increasing transfer of power to these main categories: The sock puppet, troll, false flaggers. I will show several examples how each are being emphasized by YouTube and how each take away from the main objective that YouTube is intended for—users sharing and commenting on videos in a constructive manner.
The sock puppet, ironically, may have the most power in YouTube’s guest for ad revenue (ironically) as they can control the flow of who can or cannot post on YouTube, and possibly who could be a future partner. Here is an example. I will propose a plausible hypothetical, and then lists an example of the technique at work.
Let’s take Mango’s account for an example. Mango currently has a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s4RlOGUv1c. The video uses music from Aqua’s “Barbie Girl,” which MCA (now a part of Geffen Records) holds the copyright to. Geffen Records is under the umbrella of the Universal Music Group, which is the 4th largest channel & partner on YouTube. Let’s say one had a personal vendetta against him. In order to shutter his site, one would only have to do the following:
1. Create several accounts on YouTube (to the best of my knowledge, more than one account can be created on a single email address)
2. Flag the video for a copyright owned by Universal Music Group (hereinafter UMG).
3. Use the several other accounts that you made to flag the video in a likewise manner.
4. Bask in glory that you took down the champ.
Strange as it seems, the truth is stranger than fiction. However, most sock puppets, trolls, and false flaggers use similar tactics as a method of censorship. For instance, many creationists on YouTube find an effective (if not disturbing) tactic in hindering videos by false flagging an account. Enabled by default on an account, all registered users can vote up or down comments. Throughout the course of a video’s lifetime, comments which are deemed to beneficial to the discussion of a video are given thumbs up, while those of spammers or trolls are typically thumbed down. A sock puppet account holder can thumb down all comments which he deems against his position. Multiple voting can be done by having several sock puppets; and if comment voting is disabled, the user can mark every comment as spam. A user by the name of CDK007 has a channel devoted towards showing the veracity of the theory of evolution. Several creationists have used one star voting, spamming all comments, and down thumbing comments to censor his videos. Evidence can be seen on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q2ABS7wSxU&feature=channel_page
Well, this being my first proving ground post, hopefully I step in the right direction towards being a big time debater. Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated, and I will use it in several of the other posts I plan to make to become a full time debater (some of which includes a continuation on YouTube policies on fair use, Obama and race, and a few others). I will post more next week (North Avenue Trade School finals johns :laugh:).
Cheers. :)

NukSuCao

Smash Cadet
Okay, so what you're saying is that the YouTube community is full of ignorant, stupid people? That's really all I'm getting here, and this has been summed up by almost anyone with half a brain. Hell, even xkcd got a nice commendation for his comics: http://xkcd.com/202/ http://xkcd.com/481/

People will be ignorant until the end of time, or until someone ends their time. It's not a matter of looking at them as stupid, you have to see past that. Maybe their intentions are good, maybe not. We're not one to assess them publicly, only personally. We can avoid these people.

To be honest, I have "flamed" a few YouTube comments. I regretted it, but I did feel enough emotion to freak out on "Perez Hilton". I hate the videos, so I said that. It was flagged and removed. Sadly, without actually trying, I flamed "Boxxee" on her video about trolls. That's the lowest I've ever sunk.

If I didn't get what you were going for, don't hesitate to lash out.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I won't lash out on you here because I am that kind. ;)

The point is that YouTube is shifting power to the two groups that it shouldn't be giving any more power: The users who post nothing, and the users who make YouTube money (i.e. the partners). This squeezes out the small time user (such as myself, or virtually any other YouTube user on this channel) who feels there voice can't be heard by any means. Did you know that YouTube can Demote your videos for essentially any reason they deem necessary without you knowing?

NukSuCao

Smash Cadet
A lot of people gave up on YouTube fairness once they were bought out by Google in '06. They immediately started removing videos they deemed "inappropriate". All the AMV's, TV shows... etc.

Legally, it is their website, so they can do with it what they want. It's a corporation, they don't care about the small time user. They care about the people they can put up at YouTube Live. Did you know that before YouTube, Charlie the Unicorn was put up at Newgrounds? It was actually stolen off there, then put on YouTube. As was Gary Broslma's video of Numa Numa.

In all reality, most video sites are exactly the same. They don't care about me and my friends videotaping a squirrel get attacked by a rabid weasel, they care about the videos that bring in revenue. The worst is probably the site that steals the popular videos from other sites without permission(I can't remember the name right now).

There's nothing we can really do. It's the same with the music industry, the popular groups get more publicity. "Lady GaGa" tickets sell out in ten minutes, whereas when twenty local bands tried to group together for a big show, they can't find any sponsors or even a venue that would take them. It's how things work now.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Just because a corporation acts in a certain way doesn't mean it has to be tolerated. No one thought that AOL's reign as the premier ISP would come to an end. Now look at them, Google sold their stocks in AOL & they will be spun off from Time Warner at the end of the year.

The point is the consumer does have a say in what makes a company tick. It won't be long before someone finally deals with the troubles of a video sharing site that YouTube is known for. Besides from the ones I have mentioned:
  • $#hi!!y codecs
  • Poor processing times for large HD files
  • Poor understanding of DMCA laws especially in regards to counter notices
  • & so forth
And this doesn't even include their pathetic terms of service.

To just be a tool and say "What can we do?" is a poor argument for not doing anything. Remember how the Beta channels were going to be a lock for everyone on July 15th? Well, two weeks have passed (as this comes to press) & I still have my old channel design. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom