• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Youre doing it wrong: Falcos Chaingrab

Do not see much point for having a thread just for this, but that gives an interesting idea I haven't done before. Spike them so they land before the ledge and spaced properly, so that Fsmash will hit even if they roll, or anything else.

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but this is all situational. It requires proper tech chase, and there's no way to guarantee 70% on Meta. If you notice, it only occurred because of the location that Falco got his grab. At the end of the spike, Meta was at the edge of the stage, with no real shot at rolling away. The Meta stayed on the ground, letting Falco get a free smash.

It was lucky that the Falco got to grab him at such a location, and moreso lucky that Meta did nothing to stop him.

Staco

Smash Champion
you can do a turnaround and shorter chains to get to the right position

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
MK can tech the spike, or use his invincibility frames to deal with the Fsmash, but it's still a cool little trick to keep in mind, especially since Staco is right and this isn't super-situational. You could probably set it up from just about anywhere on FD if you grab at 0%.

And honestly, 70% on MK is more than half his lifespan.

It requires proper tech chase,
Err... not really. Fsmash has crazy range, and there's nowhere for MK to go. MK's options here are:

Get up - Get hit.
Roll towards Falco - Get hit by the stronger part of Falco's Fsmash.
Roll away - Get hit.
Get up attack - Get hit.
Lay there - Get hit.
Time the get-up or roll perfectly so that the invincibility frames deal with Fsmash - Don't get hit.

Staco

Smash Champion
Maybe if he techs you can directly grab him, if he techs away from you or into you, a shot walk or turn for the grab.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Get up - Get hit.
Roll towards Falco - Get hit by the stronger part of Falco's Fsmash.
Roll away - Get hit.
Get up attack - Get hit.
Lay there - Get hit.
Time the get-up or roll perfectly so that the invincibility frames deal with Fsmash - Don't get hit.
Not sure of that... These two actions are executed while you're FSmashing invincibility frames...

Also :

Teching - Doesn't get hit
Lay there, and get up when the FSmash comes out - Doesn't get hit

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Not sure of that... These two actions are executed while you're FSmashing invincibility frames...
...'splain? Why would roll away work, while roll towards wouldn't?

Teching - Doesn't get hit
I covered those two, but it occurs to me that if the MK does tech (which is decently hard), then the Fsmash could still hit him, considering it comes out surpringly fast and the Dair gives no lag. Dsmash might just hit first, though... and he can always just shield it.

Waiting and abusing invincibilty frames definitely makes it not work, though.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
If you charge fsmash up all the way, and they just lay there their invicibility frames will run out and they will get hit even harder

This all needs some more testing though

wangston

Smash Lord
This is what I usually do. I spike people into the stage at 40 % so they have to tech it. I then take a step or so back that way if they get up, get up attack, or roll at me, they will get f smashed. That covers all options except roll away, but that wouldn't matter if they were close to the edge like in the video.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Isn't this entire discussion just one specific example of Falco's techchasing game? Maybe that's something that would be nice in a thread entirely dedicated to techchasing tactics? Just a thought.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Isn't this entire discussion just one specific example of Falco's techchasing game? Maybe that's something that would be nice in a thread entirely dedicated to techchasing tactics? Just a thought.
or something for the backroom to talk about xD.

JP, why dont u make a thread on it? no other forums have threads about techchasing except maybe ganon.

vKo

Smash Cadet
That Falco was beautiful.
And I pee'd a little over his DI'ing.
Oh and MK can tech the spike, Metaknights I play do it all the time.

Top Bottom