• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your worst matchups?

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
I'm a big hater of the counter characters myself but if I'm caught in a battle with someone who counters often it's either KD3 Grab City, dthrow, uair, or I switch to R.O.B. and forward B every time I see a counter. Its hilarious seeing the reactions of people when R.O.B.'s flailing arms just eat up a counter.

Edit: personally, I've had success against some Links by running in, jump to a quick air dodge to get past their projectile followed by a quick bair just above them while the ending lag is happening for their throw. Especially boomerang. I've found it to be a great punish and due to the ending lag, hard to avoid if done right. A FF nair works as well and could be a safer option if you're coming in on them late. At high percentages though using the bair is a good kill or kill setup approach. Haven't tested it on many other projectile based characters, but it seems to be a good counter to a projectile spammer when starting at close to mid rage.

Last edited:

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Right now Mario is my #1 enemy. I have been eliminated by two different Marios at my last two tournaments. >.>

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Right now Mario is my #1 enemy. I have been eliminated by two different Marios at my last two tournaments. >.>
Forward tilt pivot is your best tool. One of my best friends is a really good Mario user, but I'm able to beat him fairly consistently now. Here are a few tips I've managed to devise.

1) Don't even bother using your Gordos unless you're trying to edgeguard him
2) Mario's recovery is terrible, so gimp him from behind while he spams his fireballs
3) Recover very low in relation to the ledge so he can't spike you or reflect your Up B with the cape
4) Don't let him grab you and set up an easy down throw combo; it sound easier than it is, but Mario has poor reach

yoyowoodchuckguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-1538-9247
So, how do we beat C. Falcon? I've played some good ones, and their constant rush-down pressure always seems to beat me.

AlextheTwin

Smash Cadet
Worst matchups are definitely the super quick characters - sheik, zero suit and sonic come to mind. With the super fast characters it's tough to compensate for DDD's slowness. They can punish us easily. I feel like you have to punish them hard when they make a mistake - and gamble on connecting with some big shots such as side smashes/dash attacks for early KOs. Problem is if you're against a great player they aren't making many mistakes.

Also as others said the projectile camper types like fox are tough also. And with camper types like fox...lots of shielding is the key. When they're distracted rush them and try and land a grab and dash attacks. Projectile campers are definitely still a losing matchup.

Last edited:

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
Worst matchups are definitely the super quick characters - sheik, zero suit and sonic come to mind. With the super fast characters it's tough to compensate for DDD's slowness. They can punish us easily. I feel like you have to punish them hard when they make a mistake - and gamble on connecting with some big shots such as side smashes/dash attacks for early KOs. Problem is if you're against a great player they aren't making many mistakes.

Also as others said the projectile camper types like fox are tough also. And with camper types like fox...lots of shielding is the key. When they're distracted rush them and try and land a grab and dash attacks. Projectile campers are definitely still a losing matchup.
I'll admit to not having found a good strategy against fox, but I fear no sonic, Shiek or ZSS. Almost all of their approaches are on the ground and ftilt diffuses every one of them. I'll ftilt to get them out of that mindset and wait for the air approach, jump in and Gordo at the range that smacks the hammer into them, making them fly back into the Gordo.

EarlExcellent

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirTwinings
I usually don't have too much difficulty with sonic ZSS and shiek, shield grab into down throw combos work well and Ftilt and Dtilt are good to zone them too. I feel like projectile spam is DDD's worst enemy, since it renders gordo almost useless and DDD is a big target. I agree that with link the best idea is to just hop over arrows, wait till he throws the boomerang, and use the boomerang's push to close the gap. But characters like palutena and duck hunt are the bane of my existence. It's one thing losing by being outplayed, but theres nothing worse than losing to someone that rolls to the side of the stage and spams projectiles. I really like smash 4, but i feel like the inclusion of battlefield or other tournament legal stages would help tone down the heavy camping meta in For Glory

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
We're talking no custom Palutena?

Her B is probably one of the worst moves in the game.

Also Duck Hunt rolling from one edge to another and only spamming projectiles won't really kill you either. That's not how he's meant to be played.

Regardless, take it slow against spammers, think calmly about your approach. Against Duck Hunt and Palutena in particular, you have plenty of time to think at one end of the stage. Hell, you might force an approach that way. Check for patterns, they inevitably fall into one. It's not even conscious to most of them, it's pure muscle memory.

Against campers, it's all about patience and slowly getting in. I just hope your punish game is on point though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In my own experience, Duck Hunt is extremely difficult as the D doesn't have very many options for getting around his projectiles aside from being patient. Mario's pretty hard too because he can set up so many different things against Dedede with a simple utilt or dthrow, not to mention that the gordo is virtually useless against good Marios as his fireball and nair can reflect it with relative ease.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
In my own experience, Duck Hunt is extremely difficult as the D doesn't have very many options for getting around his projectiles aside from being patient. Mario's pretty hard too because he can set up so many different things against Dedede with a simple utilt or dthrow, not to mention that the gordo is virtually useless against good Marios as his fireball and nair can reflect it with relative ease.
I agree about Mario. I've fought a number of really good Mario's and found that the matchup was more difficult than I expected. I still haven't worked out the best strategy for it.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Now that people have finally learned how to use Villager properly, the matchup is borderline impossible. I've compiled a list of what I believe to be Dedede's worst matchups. It's a bit anecdotal, since I don't encounter certain characters very often, but I think we can all agree that the following characters are big threats.

1. Samus
2. Sonic
3. Villager
4. Link
5. Mario / Diddy Kong / Rosalina

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Diddy Kong is very hard. I played one that used everything very well and adapted and it's just hell. If they don't use bananas you can win though! Nah but really I would get this person to 70% the second stock each time (2 stock games) and they'd kill me because Dedede stays closer longer, and they still have that rage...it's just so hard to approach and punish imo.

I haven't played a ton of matches with great Sonics, but does ftilt not beat spindash?

Last edited:

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
I just got combo'd pretty bad by a mediocre marth, so apparently marth. I couldn't really do anything because as soon as one of his attacks hit, it seemed like he could follow up with anything else.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I haven't played a ton of matches with great Sonics, but does ftilt not beat spindash?
It does, but Sonic is so fast that you have to anticipate everything he is going to do nearly three seconds in advance.

Nino Rybicki

Smash Cadet
My girlfriend has DeDeDe as her main and she's never beaten Rosalina in a competitive match. She also hates fighting against the Duck Hunt dog and Samus. Personally, I've had trouble with that dog myself.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
I believe Toon Link to be the hardest counter to D3 At least for me and my playstyle. I prefer to force people to approach me and punish their mistakes and that's incredibly difficult with Toon Links kit especially against even a semi competent player.

Samus is another tough one just because of the zoning I think but not as bad as Toon Link considering TL is fast as fk

Sonic is cancer.

I think D3 is combo meat for Mario but maybe I just blow.

I mean Duck Hunt sure, but I never see Duck Hunt on FG and only a few times in tournaments (Though I could be wrong I don't watch every tournament ever played ever.)

Fluttershyallie

Smash Rookie
I'm having a hard time going up against Ness. My bf mains him and he seems to dthrow then fair the usual ness combo, what is a way to escape it?

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Don't get hit by it.

Seriously though, the best I've been able to do is learn what to expect and react accordingly. For example, some ness players go for dash or grab attacks for a side b follow up too predictably, and short hopping over them on their approach let's you punish them fairly easily.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Samus is like the second nightmare in dreamland and both Links are a pain comparable to an arrow up your bum.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Fast characters in general I try to play the waiting game. If they're gonna play the rushdown game, play the psychic card and punish their approach.
No idea how to handle projectile spam though. Not sure if there's a general strategy. Anyone try hanging off the side to force an approach?

ItsShanks

Smash Rookie
Sonic, Diddy, and Samus have been issues for me, I have issues keeping up with the speed, and in the case of Samus, I get rekt by the projectile game. I would like to also agree about RosaLuma being an issue, cannot confirm as I have not played a good RosaLuma player as of yet.

Makzutheamazing

Smash Cadet
So i played against a couple of megaman players. And they give me nightmares now. Maybe its just because those were literally the first times i saw a good megaman, i dunno.

Firstly, you cant really use gordos, as even megamans standard A sends them flying at the speed of goddamn light. Speaking of standard A, you cant really approach with grabs, jabs, tilts or dash attacks either, just because of its reach. Or at least i cant. Some tips are appreciated.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
So i played against a couple of megaman players. And they give me nightmares now. Maybe its just because those were literally the first times i saw a good megaman, i dunno.

Firstly, you cant really use gordos, as even megamans standard A sends them flying at the speed of goddamn light. Speaking of standard A, you cant really approach with grabs, jabs, tilts or dash attacks either, just because of its reach. Or at least i cant. Some tips are appreciated.
Try throwing out a Gordo mid-jump and angle it so it hits them in the face. Also use that shield!
Gordos destroy Crash Bombers, so that's something.

AlextheTwin

Smash Cadet
I'm having a hard time going up against Ness. My bf mains him and he seems to dthrow then fair the usual ness combo, what is a way to escape it?
You can float your way out of it sometimes. Other times, he's going to combo you a few times. But yep as above said not getting hit by it is the best solution.

With Ness I have issues too, I think it's a losing matchup for DDD. The best approach for me is to play the player. Try to take advantage if they spam the lightning too much. I've had success aiming gordos at his face from the air. With Ness though I think you definitely want to force a close game.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Try to trick him into following up on a missed attack if you can. Say a pk fire whiffs, hang around where he'd try to dash attack or grab you anyway, and prepare to punish him for it.

All depends on how he plays, of course.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ness vs Dedede is a matchup that boils down to who gets more grab set ups, in my opinion. Obviously, both characters have great grab set ups and both can royally screw each other over with them. Dedede's at the disadvantage though because Ness has much better offensive and approach options. With Ness, I feel like you have to learn how to control the stage and learn how to capitalize on him being in the air and off stage. Gordos are very helpful if you don't mindlessly throw them out and, preferrably, you should be getting your kills from the likes of uair and fair instead of smash attacks, which Ness can punish especially hard.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Ness vs Dedede depends on you not getting hit by PK fire, and recognizing when your opportunity makes itself known.

Get the second hit of a jab? Go for a grab.
Ness is above you? Harass him.
Ness grabs you? DI away
Gordo in the air only
Don't attempt any chaingrabs, and don't attempt falling nair.
Dthrow > back air > gordo > run up and wait for reaction

Once you get that chance to safely get in, it should be yours.

And are we having problems with rosalina? I'm certainly not, and I'm never worried about facing her. I haven't lost a set to one yet.

The only kind of rosalina that should give trouble is the kind that is really protective of Luma.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Which is pretty much any good Rosalina. It's a hard matchup.
Any Rosalina who thinks they can still take on Dedede when their luma is dead, is going to lose. At least to me, so far my experience and opinion.

My matches against rosalina equal something like >Unsafe move on shield > luma dead.
Walk toward Rosalina while she does that stupid short hop baiting for an aerial, wait for a roll, or dash grab attempt and immediately short hop with a Nair as soon as you see any type of movement.... get the strong hit, go for juggle pressure, get the weak hit, go for bair.

Rosalina goes off stage and must recover > Grab ledge > falling nair

I'm doing great against Rosalina's in my state and they all ranks higher than me- I seriously think its really close to even.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
That's the thing though. Most Rosalinas don't fight when they lose Luma. At least not in my experience. They run and punish you when you slip up trying to hit them. Rosalina is unapproachable when she has Luma, jab alone will eat Dedede alive. If you get popped up in the air, you're going to take a butt ton of damage unless you go straight for the ledge. On the flipside too, Rosalina's disjointed dair gives her a ton of priority when she's trying to land. She's also one of the few characters who can edge guard us.

I'm not discrediting your success and I would love this so much to be an even matchup I just am not very good at. Please try and get some video in the near future so I can see your methods in practice, because my experience and talking to other D3 mains has revealed this is like 60:40 Rosalina if not worse.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Mega Man is definitely difficult. You can't really space him because he can pressure you from any distance. Your best bet is getting in close and grabbing him. Command grab from above can do some decent work but I think it may prioritize eating his projectiles, so be careful. The best way to counter mega man is to play diagonally, his character is very similar to his NES roots in that he doesn't have much for things approaching him outside of a horizontal or straight vertical plane. Gordos can work well as traps, he will often try to knock the Gordo away with his buster and you can then approach with an aerial to start a string. Otherwise, their role in this matchup is limited to edge guarding.

You will be playing these matches from behind, so don't lose your cool and you will have a shot. Be wary of his up tilt and back air, as they are his only threatening kill moves against us. Up air can be annoying, but don't use your jumps and DI down, you'll be fine.

As for ZSS, we are combo bait for her and she can space us with zair and stun gun. Up B can kill us early and is almost guaranteed after an up air connects. We do have solace in the fact that she dies much earlier than us and we can gimp her relatively easily. Also, her grab comes out slower than most and is very punishable. If you can punish her grab attempts and condition her into doing other things, you have a good shot in the MU. Otherwise, I'd approach this matchup with caution.

Last edited:

Prawn

Smash Master
At low percents DI towards the ground and tech, at higher percents try and DI to a platform and tech

Prawn

Smash Master
ROB by far, I always get destroyed by them in tournaments, does any one have any advice for this match up?
Read rolls on platforms and bair them, chase them offstage, he isn't extremely mobile and doesn't have a ton of options even though his recovery is good.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
ROB's Gyro and lasers make the matchup incredibly frustrating. If one thing goes bad it all just starts heading south.

Don't block the Gyro, it just means he gets another one for free. Jump over it. Don't pick it up, a ROB main's item game is going to be more on point than ours so he'll likely just catch it if you throw it at him. Just leave it there, as long as it's on the field he has to go pick it up to use it again.

ROB also has no problem against D3 in close quarters because of how fast and annoying his jabs and tilts are. If you can keep him at mid range (seeing a theme here with my posts? lol) and pressure him with jabs and f-tilts you'll be able to break the space and get in for a grab.

Against ROB, one good grab at mid-high % is all you need to rack up a ton of damage. ROB has very few ways of landing safely against our up air, just be wary of the wonky hitbox on his nair and you should be safe for follow-ups. He can do things out of his recovery fairly quickly, but don't be afraid to challenge ROB off-stage. He's much weaker there and really can't mess us up besides a really hard dair read. Be very careful about challenging ROB's nair though. You most likely will trade or get beaten out by it.

Inhale is also very handy (as it is against most big-target characters), but again be careful because I'm pretty sure it prioritizes items over characters. You may end up eating a Gyro or laser and getting punished hard.

Last edited:

CPU10

Smash Rookie
my worst match ups have to currently be:

Sonic
Toon link (the spammy camping kind)
yoshi

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Lost to yoshi twice

Seems like you have to respect yoshi if hes in shield, in the air or jumping...

Such a great character

I also keep losing the ditto because of gordos fcking up

Top Bottom