• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your thoughts on Esports in the Asian 2022 Olympics

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Title ^^

It is interesting to think about it and I don't see much discussion on this website. In some online articles it is mentioned how League of Legends and maybe even Starcraft II will be played in the Olympics. What if Melee was being played there?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Did they confirm that it would be one of the new sports at the 2020 Olympic games because I thought the new sports were confirmed to be baseball/softball, sport climbing, skateboarding, karate and surfing.

The only thing that I heard was e-sports joining the 2022 Asian Games (which is similar to the olympics but with Asian continents.)

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they'd have good enough games there. It's 4 years away so we have no idea what titles will be standard by then; it will likely be very different from even this year's EVO as far as fighting games go.

At this point I don't think it's a good idea because the Olympics is all about pushing the body to its limits--that's the whole idea of it--and gaming is a mental sport instead. Based off that, e-sports has no place at the Olympics.

McChicken

Smash Rookie
I don't think that it would work out. It just doesn't appear in my head when I think about the olympics. Neither does skateboarding, but that's a more "traditional" sport.

MiniSara

Smash Rookie
I think they have a rule at the Olympics that the sport requires you to use your body physically (yes, even shooting requires physical skill). This is why chess in not in the olympics, and never will be.

I doubt e-sports will be an Olympic event unless they completely change their rules.

MiniSara

Smash Rookie
Still wished that Bowling, Wushu and Roller Sport games as an Olympic sport.

Anyways back on the subject, it seems that the Paris bid team are considering e-sports inclusion for the 2024 Olympic games:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/40875324
If they include esports, it feels like it's everything goes. I actually don't like the idea, the olympics should be pure and only include physical sports.

Top Bottom